Start by marking “No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners: Clear Answers to Burning Questions About Core Buddhist Teachings” as Want to Read:

Presented in a practical Q&A format, No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners is the most clear-cut introductory guide to understanding the essential concepts of Buddhism and how they relate to your daily life.

How is an awakening different from enlightenment? Can agnostics and atheists be Buddhist? Am I supposed to stop thinking when I meditate? In No-Nonsense Buddhism for B

Published May 1st 2018 by Althea Press (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners

Start your review of No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners: Clear Answers to Burning Questions About Core Buddhist Teachings
Gary Moreau
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How do you write something new and fresh about a topic that has been analyzed down to its toenails? You have to really “get it” and Naoh Rasheta clearly does. Written in an inspired Q&A format, this book really is “No-Nonsense,” which, of course, to the Buddhist means, “It makes all the sense in the world.”

I am a proud-to-be-an-American Buddhist philosopher who lived in China for almost a decade. Which means, essentially, that I study the teachings of the Buddha, including the Four Noble Truths
Christopher Madsen
The best and clearest writing on the fundamental philosophies and concepts of buddhism.
Chelsea
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book for anyone looking to learn more about a secular approach to Buddhist teachings. The question & answer format makes it easy to jump around to whatever interests you most, and it is jam-packed full of useful parables and teachings from traditional Buddhist texts. If you’re curious about integrating practical Buddhist ideas into your daily life but aren’t sure where to start, this is the book for you. Highly recommend!
Marta
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does exactly what its title says: explains the key concepts of Buddhism to complete beginners in plain language. The format is question-answer, none longer than a page and a half, printed in large font. The concepts are illustrated with everyday examples.

I am not a total beginner as I have been practicing meditation and even joined a small local sangha (meditation group). I have read some books, too, but they each address a subtopic or just are a collection of sayings, so I was left wi
Brenda Faw
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well explained

Rasheta provided a clear and natural flow of Buddhism concepts that made this book easy to understand and enjoyable to read.
Michael Dubakov
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like short books in Q&A style. They usually fun to read and well organized, thus providing good mental flow about the topic. This book is a good intro into Buddhism and deserves 4.5/5 stars.
David Pain
Nov 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly engaging trip around the concepts and practices. I'm a middle-aged, non-religious person who feels he could use some input on finding a more restful perspective at this point in his existence. I feel I have already benefitted from the content and believe I will be returning to it. 🙂 ...more
Shauna
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoy listening to Noah Rasheta's podcast Secular Buddhism since I stumbled across it last year. This book was just as enjoyable and informative. Q&A format, easy to understand and digest therefore leading to actual action. ...more
Katie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: this is the first book I’ve ever read about Buddhism (except Siddhartha, which I didn’t realize at the time was actually about Buddhism, but is in my top ten favorite books of all time.). So what I’m saying is, I don’t know much about Buddhism, so this might be totally wrong and I wouldn’t know.

This is truly a fantastic, easy to read and understand book on the bare bones basics. I was interested in learning about Buddhism and didn’t know where to start. I tried a few other books that
Rebekoval
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
Really enjoyed this slim, user-friendly introduction to the nuts and bolts of Buddhism. Although I studied the religion in college, this book doesn’t spent much time on the history. Instead, it serves as a guide to the practices of Buddhism and how they can be implemented in your life, regardless of your faith background. I am constantly looking for ways to be more mindful and at peace with the world around me (and my place in it). As a book designed to whet your appetite and encourage you to di ...more
Petr
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this approach of narrowing down Buddhism to answers to a few questions. Each question was answered in at most two pages of clear exposition and as far as I can tell, the answers were correct and captured the main ideas well. The exposition is accompanied sometimes also by practical examples from the author's life. I did not appreciate some of them. However, they usually served as a good illustration of the more theoretical explanation. ...more
Alex Garip
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Finished this in one day! I wanted to give this 3 stars because it was a bit too simple for me personally. I would have loved deeper discussion on the concepts, but I gave it 5 for what it is marketed as: a simple, beginner’s guide to Buddhism. It’s exactly that!

The book is written in question and answer format and addresses probably everything that would be on a beginner’s mind and more.

Super quick and easy read! I’m inspired to continue along my Buddhism journey! :D
Aurelio Rodriguez
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Rasheta does a great job introducing the reader to the principal beliefs and ideas that compose Buddhism. After having taken an introductory Buddhism course this last semester I was intrigued by what I learned and wanted to learn more. This book cemented some of the principles I had learned and broke them down into simpler explanations than the academic sources we had used in class. I also recommend Rasheta’s podcast, Secular Buddhism podcast and website.
Debbie Boucher
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my other spiritual reading adventure for the year. I recommend it to anyone with questions about Buddhism. It was a quick, informative read that helped me understand a tradition I know little about. The format is such that you can thumb through to your "burning questions." I read this book from start to finish and found it to be an enjoyable, satisfying experience. ...more
Braeden
An excellent read that helped me understand Buddhism unlike any book I’ve read before.
Nicholas Finch
Excellent!

Written clearly and precisely, and yet not in a way that makes you feel like you’re five years old and stupid.

So for that reason, I’d highly recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about Buddhism, where, and how to start.

Great stuff I’m glad I picked up now!
Kyle
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very good read for anyone looking to learn about Buddhism. Straightforward Q&A approach makes it accessible, easy to read, and easy to learn from.
Rachel
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
quick read with an overview but could of gone a bit more into detail and had more of the q and a
Victor Ellison
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
A great primer to a complicated subject in an easy to digest Q&A format.
Victor Gutiérrez Z
Jan 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book. Can’t recommend it enough.
Dennis Littrell
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rasheta, Noah No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners (2018) *****
Outstanding introduction

The literature of Buddhism is vast. There are more sutras than you can shake a stick at, some of them deeply esoteric and some of them contradictory (or seemingly so). Some are anything but concrete and take themselves way too seriously, which is why we have the “correction” of Zen Buddhism.

So, it was a pleasure for me to read this clear and down-to-earth treatise for beginners.

The book is attractively presented
Vicki Schofield
Jan 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Breaks everything down in a comprehensible way. Loved it :)
Aaron
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this in the Humble Blood, Sweat and New Years Bundle, which I paid for.

I am not one for spiritual or religious practice, which is why when I heard the word 'Buddhism' to me it meant just another spiritual thing.

Wow I was so wrong.

Buddhism as a practice might be something I really, really want to do in my life. Reaction to suffering caused so much turmoil in my life every day felt like the worst day. Halfway through this book just applying some of the things written here immediately helped.
Alex Boon
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for beginners to Buddhism with a secular approach. The Q&A format is easy to read and helps find sections quickly. I only wish the answer to each question could elaborate just that bit further. I'm headed to the recommended reading list now for further exploration. Overall, this book is perfect for beginners and a great supporting resource for the podcast. ...more
Lesley Looper
This is a well organized book on the basics of Buddhism, laid out in a Q and A format. It answered several questions I had, and then some. There’s also a bibliography in the back.
Michael Ruhl
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I listen to the author’s podcast and I wanted to 1. Support him a little and 2. Read a basic book on Buddhism. I’ve been practicing Buddhism for about 5 years now. So I came at this being very familiar with the content and wanting a refresher and new take. I think Noah does a good job introducing the reader to Buddhism. The book hits all the things anyone would learn in their first few years of practicing.

He gives some unique perspectives on things and the format o
Bookworm
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What it says on the tin. I've always found Buddhism, along with other religions to be rather unreachable. I just get to a point where I get bored or my skepticism just becomes too much. But I recently discovered Rasheta's podcasts and found out he had this book. It's a question and and answer approach where the author takes the reader though the background and context of Buddhism arranged as a Q&A.

I liked it. I liked how the author wrote that one could read straight through or treat it more as a
Ana Miron
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Yeah, reading about this was pretty neat, but if it weren't I wouldn't have finished it. It was a very enjoyable book and it shifted my perspective in what I think is a good way.

The Q&A format of this book along with the way it's written makes it very accessible, which is great. Also, the "Everyday Buddhism" sections can really tie things together and they did help me better understand some concepts that can get pretty abstract at times.

Anyhow, the way this book is structured in such a way that
Douglas Day
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great for those wanting to understand what Buddhism is about...

Very down to earth breakdown of Buddhism. I have some serious anxiety, depression along with PTSD. Ive struggled with these ailments for a long time and seen counselors, been prescribed umpteen medications, all with little to no results. This book has helped me more than any mental health treatment Ive received in the Army, at the Dept of Veteran Affairs as well as Civilian doctors. I started doing mindfulness on youtube, ended up on
Bradley
Aug 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
For me, this is an example of "do not judge a book by its cover". This isn't a juvenile book as it's cover appeared (to me) to lean towards. This is a mature, well-articulated book that touches on the history of Buddhism and examines the different schools in practice & the total lack of conflict between any of these schools or any other religion/belief system for that matter.
I was led to the author and his books after finding & appreciating his podcast, in spite of myself. Both formats have help
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Wake Up: How to Practice Zen Buddhism
  • Buddhism: Beginner's Guide to Understanding & Practicing Buddhism to Become Stress and Anxiety Free
  • Buddhism without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • Buddha
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • No-Nonsense Zen for Beginners: Clear Answers to Burning Questions About Core Zen Teachings
  • Buddhism for Beginners: Plain and Simple Guide to Buddhist Philosophy Including Zen Teachings, Tibetan Buddhism, and Mindfulness Meditation
  • Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
  • What the Buddha Taught
  • Everyday Buddhism: Real-Life Buddhist Teachings & Practices For Real Change
  • Modern Buddhism: Buddha's Ancient Teachings For The Modern Person
  • The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation
  • Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice
  • Practicing Mindfulness: 75 Essential Meditations to Reduce Stress, Improve Mental Health, and Find Peace in the Everyday
  • Introducing Buddha: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Zen: Beginner's Guide: Happy, Peaceful and Focused Lifestyle for Everyone (Buddhism, Meditation, Mindfulness, Success) (Positive Psychology Coaching Series Book 7)
  • The Art of Living
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Hanya Yanagihara’s latest novel is actually three tales of New York.   In To Paradise, the highly acclaimed author of A Little Life and The...
“Ardently do today what must be done. Who knows? Tomorrow, death comes. THE BUDDHA, THE BHADDEKARATTA SUTTA” 2 likes
“Buddhist teachings are not something you’re meant to believe; they’re something you do—you put them into practice.” 0 likes