Start by marking “Chup: Breaking the Silence About India's Women” as Want to Read:
Chup: Breaking the Silence About India's Women

Chup: Breaking the Silence About India's Women

Do you pride yourself on being a strong woman? Do you aspire to be one or support one? Do you consider yourself a feminist? Chances are that you behave in ways that are
exactly the opposite, as this pathbreaking book argues. In this rigorously researched book, based on 600 detailed interviews with women and some men across India's metros, social scientist Deepa Narayan iden
Published March 8th 2018 by Juggernaut

To ask other readers questions about Chup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chup

Neha Garg (thereadingowl_)
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an experience. When I read the very first chapter, I could not sleep for hours, debated with my husband, and finally posted a long rant about how Girls are made to stay invisible. They are smothered in the name of safety. They are diminished and forgotten.
I took my own time to read through this book, finishing each chapter and then taking time to reflect and discuss with friends if they related to what was mentioned in the book. I personally related to not all, but most of it. If n
Pallabi Priyaadarshini
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I came across the book, somehow the instant internal reaction was another rant about how woman are treated with a list of guidelines and motivational pages filled with what women can do to break the shackles and emerge victorious.
Still I went ahead spent my hard earned money and bought it. As I kept flipping through pages many places I saw myself, my mother, friends, bosses, society so on and so forth.
Have you ever remotely or actively seen or faced or been a part or even felt there is th
Tushar Mangl
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recently finished reading Deepa Narayan's book on women in India and the way society is sculpting their identity. The book is an intriguing read and does live up to its slogan to hold a mirror to every Indian woman.
So is this a feminist read meant for those all-women book club list readings? Definitely not. Such books are meant to be read by the entire society irrespective of gender or age.

You can read the complete review at my blog
Vinod Narayan
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Video Review is here
Sahil Pradhan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exclusive, favorites
In this rigorously researched book, based on 600 detailed interviews with women and some men across India's metros, social scientist Deepa Narayan identifies seven key habits that may dominate women’s everyday lives, despite their education and financial status. These behaviours may seem harmless, but each one has enormous impact, and it means only one thing – that Indian women are habitually trained to delete themselves.

Chup is filled with stories of rebellion, resistance and resilience. Consid
Pooja
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that makes you uncomfortable and question where many of your beliefs come from and the bubble you live in. A thought provoking book that paints a very realistic picture of women in India.
Jiten Upadhyay
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
[Detailed book review is available at: http://thinkerviews.com/books/english... ]

Not all the books are written for entertainment purpose. Some has substance in it in the form of statistical information.

Author Deepa Narayan has decided pen down her research work about the conditions and circumstances a large number of women are facing, especially in India.

The book has to be read as a study paper and one should not consider it against India or male in general. In fact, the author herself recognize
Priyanka
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Written in a very fast paced, argumentative, descriptive and creative manner this book touches upon really important issue of invisibility of women, orthodox upbringing, misplaced priorities, changed customs and harassment (in any way), general outlook towards women, the treatment and everything alike. I believe that it’s important for every girl to read it in the formative years! Maybe, during teenage or young adults. Especially for girls who don’t speak up for themselves. I don’t really think ...more
Privy Trifles
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read! An eye opener and one that left me thinking.
Sourabh Rohilla
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harshini
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Deepa Narayan has done a good work in doing extensive research before penning down this book. She has represented the middle class women who constitute the growing majority in India and the plight they have to face through their life.

She has nicely articulated the way women have been always urged to be quiet, meek, adjustable, not to have their own identity, not to be heard and the need for her to be escorted and protected all along by her family with on-the ground reasons for these expected beh
Naina Meattle
Its a hard core book that should be read by all; men and women.

There were points in the book that made me extremely sad, making the pace of the book slightly slow but I am glad i read it.