Start by marking “Christmas by Accident” as Want to Read:
Christmas by Accident

Christmas by Accident

Carter is an insurance adjuster whose longing for creative expression spills over sometimes into his accident reports. Abby works for her adoptive father, Uncle Mannie, in the family bookstore, the ReadMore Café. Carter barely tolerates Christmas; Abby loves it. She can't wait past October to build her favorite display, the annual Christmas book tree stack, which Carter ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Christmas by Accident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas by Accident

Start your review of Christmas by Accident
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, books-to-review
I've read several Christmas themed books lately even though Christmas is still 2+ months away. All the books have been good and while this one has a Christmas theme it is much more than just a holiday book. It is about finding love, terminal illness, doing what you love, and embracing life.

I really liked all of the characters. Carter has dreams beyond being an insurance adjuster, he just isn't sure what. All he knows is that he enjoys the written word and even embellishes insurance forms much to
Alexis
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
This isn't my usual read, but I was in the mood for a cheesy Christmas story. And this book probably is, but I couldn't get far enough to really tell, because the writing is atrocious. It's bursting with over-the-top, melodramatic description and weird metaphors. I think the author was trying really really hard to be original and avoid cliches - I'm not sure why else you would write "Her eyes curled." (I can only assume they meant the character was rolling her eyes, which is really more of a ...more
Kathy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018

Content: Clean
Janssen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I am not one to really notice writing, but this one was PAINFUL for me to read. So much so that I wondered if it was purposefully written to be over-the-top and ludicrous as a reflection on Christmas books.
R.A.
Oh, I loved this! It was a simple, fun, Hallmark-like Christmas book! A book to read around Christmas … or my case, a little more than a month before Christmas. :) Christmas books are the best!

Carter and Abby were great characters! I love how Abby was a writer and editor … and Carter was a writer as well! When he decides to write a Christmas book - even though he doesn't like Christmas at all - because they're so popular, you can imagine how hard it is. I won't mention what he planned on calling
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I love this time of the year when I get to read lots of new Christmas themed books! It's so much fun. This book is guaranteed to touch your heart strings and make you smile.

Usually when I read books, the quirky characters are most often female. I'm not sure why that is but this book was a refreshing change from that. Carter is definitely one quirky guy. He works for an insurance company and tends to embellish the facts of the report to make them more "interesting" to read. He continues to do
Susan K
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance, clean
This was a lovely holiday romantic read, but also a story of family, of finding what really matters. Carter and Abby, along with Mannie her uncle and the host of supporting characters was a beautiful read. Even while critiquing the plethora of Christmas books written, it was a lovely, unique story, with honest, hurting characters, that were a pleasure to get to know. Healing, peace, love, secrets that come to light, and direction for all of them.
Christmas coincidences or
Mindy
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christmas by Accident is very fun and an all around sweet book. Camron Wright is great author that can write serious and it turns out, very funny books too. Carter, Abby, Mannie, all of the characters were written well and a fun surprise. Yin, Seven, Rosa, all of them were a delight. The story is fun and clever. I loved it.
Monique Pearson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Finished but even though it wasn't long it lost my attention so many times. Parts made me laugh so maybe it was just my mood. I may try to read it again closer to Christmas.
Cathy
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christmas books are my favorite at this time of year! I love that they’re usually quick to read and just a fun book. That’s why I picked this one up the other day. I needed a stress free read that I knew I was going to love. This one fit the bill!

I loved Carter. He made me laugh. Carter is an insurance adjuster. But he’s not like any other insurance adjuster I’ve ever heard of. He has a sense of humor and he’s creative. I had to laugh at the accident reports he wrote. They were probably my
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
CHRISTMAS BY ACCIDENT is a story that lures its reader in at the beginning with humor, likable characters, and the start of a cute romance, but then takes them on an emotional journey. It's a story that faces cynicism about the holidays, questions miracles, provides its characters difficult choices, and pulls on emotions in a heartfelt way. A perfectly charming Christmas story that will tug on readers' hearts, worth reading at any time of the year.

From the start, I liked these characters. Carter
Gaele
Abby and her Uncle Mannie have been a team since she was three, they have a lovely little bookstore/café in the Springfield area called the ReadMore Café, where pastries, a host of lovely secondary characters and a very early tower of Christmas books are taking center stage. Abby is a wonderful character – Christmas is her favorite time of the year, and between working at the shop and editing some books on the side, she’s got things under control. Until Mannie’s failing health lands him in the ...more
Cyndi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Finished my Christmas book before the end of January, Yay! This is a Hallmark book. What I liked about it is the Christmas cynic makes fun of Christmas book and I was reading a Christmas book. Probably only deserved 3 stars but I gave it an extra because of the irony. Has all the elements of a mushy, feel good Christmas book and that is what I want at Christmas. The book also got four stars because of this wisdom:

(speaking of Christmas)
"Perhaps I've decided to love it," she answered
C.P. Cabaniss
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this novel from the publisher, Shadow Mountain Publishing, in a contest they hosted on Instagram. Thank you!*

In November and December every year, I become a little obsessed with watching Hallmark Christmas movies. Which I always find funny for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't watch many movies, so the fact that I am wanting to watch a movie almost every night is surprising. Secondly, when I do watch movies, I don't tend to like romances. But, here we are.

Although I
Marissa
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
**First off, thank you Shadow Mountain for the arc**

Now let’s talk about this quick Christmas book... I’m gonna give it a three star rating because, personally, I like a fun Christmas book, and I had different expectations of this book than the reality of it.

It’s a cute little story following Carter- who is the Scrooge-type with a penchant for embellishing... and Abby who is a true Bibliophile running a cute small town bookstore. So of course I’m hoping it would be amazing... and cliche.

And it
hpboy13
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: standalone, adult
Admittedly, I did not enter this book expecting the next Great American Novel, but yikes was this bad. Maybe there’s some irony in one of the characters having a subplot about the mundanity and formulaic nature of Christmas novels, in a novel that suffers from all of that. But basically, the book is completely by-the-numbers Christmas rom-com, just minus any actual comedy or human-like character. Quirks are substituted for character development, like the girl’s BFF who is a walking punchline of ...more
Susan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quick, fun Christmas story about a quirky insurance adjustor with dreams of being a novelist who falls in love with a beautiful accident victim who also happens to be a book editor/bookstore owner. Carter Cross is an odd duck, but a kind, dependable one, and Abby falls for him pretty fast. As the two get to know each other, they have to overcome some obstacles (of course), one of which is Carter's dismissal of Christmas vs. Abby's obsession with the holiday. The result is a cute story ...more
Michelle
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a cute story, but there were too many metaphors, which seemed to get in the way of the story. I loved that creative aspect of Camron Wright in a full-length fiction of his. But those same elements in this short story didn't work as well. It felt forced in such a short work. On the other hand, the main characters, Carter, Abby, and Mannie were all well developed with both good points and bad points. The ending delivered and stayed true to a happy Christmas story. Thank you to Net Galley ...more
Bonnie Card
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read. I did it in one day. It was like reading a Hallmark Channel movie. But when you want a show like that, you love it! So, this book came around at just the right time for me, and I loved it. A sweet story wrapped up with a bow. But fair warning; it is predictable and follows the expected formula.
EvaLynn Merrill
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good feel better book. Easy reading. What I liked most is that even when things don’t go right, the people aren’t going down the doom and gloom hole. A very nice book to read in between other more heavier reads.
Happy Reading Watching
Perfect Hallmark movie book!!! Cute, sweet and clean book.
Barbara Brodhead
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great little book for Christmas! I enjoyed it!
Cindy Coats
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was one of those short reads that I could read in one day. Your stereotypical Christmas novel is here. Would enjoy this as a Hallmark movie for sure.
Melissa Flanagin
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another, sweet holiday read.
Cheryl
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book really slow moving.Abby loves Christmas and owns a dessert shop and bookstore. Carter hates Christmas and is laid off his job. He sees all the Christmas books on sale and decides to write one. As this is a Christmas novel things work out in the end.
Aimee Kollmansberger
Light + kind + predictable Christmas read. An easy rom-com book to curl up with at night during December!
Sheila
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas By Accident was a such a cute Christmas book. This was a very quick read. As many Christmas stories that have already been written, there is a good message for the main characters and the reader to learn. Carter is a quirky character at first, but he truly made me laugh. The other main character, Abby, is a very serious person, but she has good reason being this way. My very favorite character is Abby's Uncle Mannie who has raised her since her parents died when she was only three ...more
Emma
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Review:

I'm a sucker for Christmas stories, so when I saw this and the cute cover, I knew I wanted to check it out!

It's pretty much everything you would expect from these little stories, it has a clear storyline and a lovely meet-cute. The fact that he was an insurance worker and that's how they met was really nice, and a different way to introduce the characters.

The characters themselves were distinguishable with their personalities and it was clear to see the way that they had impacted each
Tessa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I so wanted to enjoy this one more than I did. While the premise of the novel is creative and enjoyable, as the reader I felt like I was being jerked around. There seemed to be major parts of the storyline missing when we would be jerked from Carter to Abby. I usually had to re-settle my thoughts before I could jump into whatever plot line I was now following. However, I must say that the last 50 pages of the novel were by far the best. Overall, an enjoyable Christmas read.

Sara Shupe
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
So cute! I loved the ReadMore Cafe and all of the secondary characters. I loved the Rename Jane game (classic book titles changed and you have to guess the real title and author) and might have to steal it for book club. It was short and definitely sweet but not in a toothache kind of way ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Carried: How One Mother’s Trust in God Helped Her through the Unthinkable
  • The Truth about Miss Ashbourne
  • The Candy Cane Caper
  • Joy in the Covenant
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • Healing Hearts (Savage Wells, #2)
  • A Song for the Stars
  • Escape to Everly Manor
  • Sanctuary (Guardian, #3)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
Camron Wright was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. He has a master’s degree in Writing and Public Relations from Westminster College.

He has owned several successful retail stores in addition to working with his wife in the fashion industry, designing for the McCall Pattern Company in New York.

Camron began writing to get out of attending MBA school at the time, and it proved the better
“4 tablespoons powdered sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon ½ teaspoon nutmeg 1 cup cream In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whip cream with beaters or hand whisk while slowly adding dry ingredients. Whip until soft peaks form. (Don’t over whip.) Makes 6 to 8 servings.” 0 likes
“1 package (3.4 oz.) instant
French vanilla pudding mix 2 tablespoons sugar ½ teaspoon nutmeg ½ teaspoon cinnamon ⅛ teaspoon ginger ⅛ teaspoon allspice 5 cups milk (whole or 2%) ¾ cup heavy cream 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup ½ teaspoon vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon rum extract (optional) Combine dry pudding mix, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice; mix together well. Combine milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, and rum extract in a large bowl. Slowly hand whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until mixed thoroughly. (Do not use a blender.) Refrigerate for at least one hour to thicken (two or three hours is better). Stir well. (If the consistency is thicker than desired, add ½ to 1 cup milk to thin.) Pour into cups, garnish each with a spoonful of cinnamon whipped cream (next page), sprinkle with freshly ground nutmeg, and enjoy!”
0 likes