Jump to ratings and reviews

The Babysitters Coven #1

The Babysitters Coven

Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this funny, action-packed novel about a coven of witchy babysitters who realize their calling to protect the innocent and save the world from an onslaught of evil.

Seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl has a babysitters club. She knows it's kinda lame, but what else is she supposed to do? Get a job? Gross. Besides, Esme likes babysitting, and she's good at it.

And lately Esme needs all the cash she can get, because it seems like destruction follows her wherever she goes. Let's just say she owes some people a new tree.

Enter Cassandra Heaven. She's Instagram-model hot, dresses like she found her clothes in a dumpster, and has a rebellious streak as gnarly as the cafeteria food. So why is Cassandra willing to do anything, even take on a potty-training two-year-old, to join Esme's babysitters club?

The answer lies in a mysterious note Cassandra's mother left her: "Find the babysitters. Love, Mom."

Turns out, Esme and Cassandra have more in common than they think, and they're about to discover what being a babysitter really means: a heroic lineage of superpowers, magic rituals, and saving the innocent from seriously terrifying evil. And all before the parents get home.

368 pages, Hardcover

First published September 17, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kate Williams

4 books393 followers
I'm the author of The Babysitters Coven trilogy (girls, magic, fashion, friendship, LOLs and dogs) and the thriller Never Coming Home (islands, influencers, bikinis, biscuits and gravy, and murder).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
678 (11%)
1 star
174 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,327 reviews
Profile Image for megs_bookrack.
1,427 reviews9,025 followers
November 25, 2022
**3.5-stars rounded up**

Babysitting comes with a lot of responsibility and thus, it's a task that should never be taken lightly.

As a Sitter, you're literally accountable for maintaining the health and wellness of the little ones left in your care.

But did you know that some Sitters are responsible for even more than that? Such as, protecting the entire Earth from evil, for example?

It's true, but when Esme Pearl formed her Babysitters Club, she didn't know that either.

Unfortunately for Esme, she had to find out the hard way.

Part Buffy the Vampire Slayer, part Babysitters Club, this book brings Horror Comedy to a whole new level.

I was giggling to myself throughout the entire story.

Apparently, the author and I share a brain and have a very similar sense of humor.

Esme was such a fun character and although I'll admit, it was predictable, I had a great time reading it nonetheless.

I loved all the pop culture references, the homage to Buffy, and that fun, light-hearted Teen Horror atmosphere. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a fast and funny Teen Scream.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Delacorte Press, for providing me with a copy to read and review.

I look forward to seeing what this author comes up with next!!!
September 22, 2020

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE BABYSITTERS COVEN is one of those books that I was hotly anticipating for fall. The tongue-in-cheek title and gorgeous cover made me feel so hopeful that what I was going to get was going to be a cross between my childhood favorite, The Babysitters Club, with a dash of The Craft, and a heavy dollop of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I didn't get that, and maybe part of that is on me for having unrealistically high expectations, but part of that is definitely on the book.

First, even though this book is set in high school, it felt so immature it almost feels like a middle grade novel. There was also an element of being "out of touch." I never felt like I was reading about a bunch of teenagers. It felt like reading about a mom pretending to be a sanitized version of what they imagined a teenager was like from watching The Disney Channel all day.

Second, the magic and world-building is a bit of a mess. THE BABYSITTERS COVEN skates that fine line between a book that wants to be taken at face value and an homage/parody. The magic spells seemed cool, but the execution of them was kind of lame. And then the fact that the book basically used the plot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer to explain how magic worked in this universe felt totally lazy. Don't use other universes that did you one better as a crutch to hold up your own shoddy world-building; it will just remind me that better stories exist out there than yours.

Third, the babysitting club element had a nice hook, but didn't really capture that responsibility and closeness that made the original Babysitters Club series so compelling. The girls in the original BCC were mature for their age and had a lot of interesting hobbies. The girls in this BCC aren't as invested in their jobs, are actually pretty immature, and engage in girl on girl hate. I was very disappointed. The only thing they have in common with the original BCC is that they're a club of girls who occasionally babysit and they like to create "themed" outfits, like Claudia from the original BCC did, but after a while their "themed" outfits started to seem too precious and contrived and annoying.

I'm pretty disappointed by how much I didn't like this upon finishing. THE BABYSITTERS COVEN was one of my biggest anticipated reads and ended up becoming one of my biggest disappointments. Maybe it would be good for a preteen girl who enjoys the Disney Channel, but it wasn't great for me.

Thanks to the publisher for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review!

2 stars
Profile Image for Irena BookDustMagic.
603 reviews472 followers
August 21, 2020
The Babysitters Coven was my first pick to read during spookathon. I received this book during September, but wanted to save it for that readathon.
In the end, I suffered from major reading slump and this novel ended up being the only book I finished that week.
However, when I look objectively, this book was pretty fun and enjoyable, I just wish I read it when I was in a better place.

This paranormal young adult was pitched as Buffy meets The Babysitters Club. Therefore, I assumed there would be vampires in the book.
Oh, how wrong was I!
Vampires were not part of this story, but the similarity with Buffy is undeniable, and if you decide to give it a try, you will know exactly why.
It had the similar polity with chosen girls to protect the world and their teacher to guide them.
It really reminded me of the season where Buffy was not the only Vampire slayer in the show.

The writing style is really good, with lots of humour. It is really easy to read and I believe that, if I wasn’t in a reading slump, I would finish it in a day or two.
The story is written in first person, from Esme’s POV.

I liked Esme, she was great narrator to follow, and since I enjoyed all the characters, I hope to get even more attached to them in the second installment.

Since I can’t consider this book a master piece, I think good character development and thrive would take this series on another level.

Still, I very much enjoyed The Babysitters Coven and will gladly continue with the series.

Read this and more reviews on my blog https://bookdustmagic.com
Profile Image for Kal ★ Reader Voracious.
544 reviews187 followers
September 18, 2019
A quick note before we dive in: as a reviewer, I strive to be critical yet respectful because I know how much work goes into writing a book. I prescribe to the belief that no two readers read the same book and I make an effort to highlight positives about the book, be clear about the reasons why I didn’t enjeoy it, and to the extent possible share who may enjoy it. I originally was going to rate this 2 stars, but after sorting through my feelings and writing my review I realized I personally cannot recommend this book. I think there have got to be better witchy reads out there without harmful stereotypes and creepy adult behavior for teens to read.
Believe me, no one is sadder than I am that this book didn't work for me. The cover is absolutely eye-catching and "Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is a phrase I didn't know I needed until I heard it. I wanted to love this book and it was one of my most anticipated Fall releases. But unfortunately, I was left wanting for character development and worldbuilding and found the narrative at times questionable and uncomfortable.

There seems to be this trend which relies heavily on nostalgia but isn't written for the generation who would be most invested. Last year it was Hocus Pocus & The All-New Sequel, and sadly this year we have The Babysitter's Coven. The protagonists are seventeen years old, but honestly, this reads more on the lower-end of YA. Which is fine but there is a clear disconnect given that the marketing heavily leans on the nostalgia which people in their early-to-mid thirties have for these childhood stories. Ultimately, this was really never a story written for me, but unfortunately, this is not a case of "right book, wrong reader" in my opinion.

If this book were written as-is in the late 90s, I would have loved this when I was thirteen years old. I definitely would qualify this as a solid lower-YA read (for which I am not the target audience, and that is totally okay) if it weren't for the outdated references that I don't think teenagers in 2019 would relate to and the uncomfortable internalized biases I will touch on later in this review.

In terms of the plot, not a whole lot happens which made for a rather lackluster read for me because I didn't relate to the characters at all. Not to mention that The Babysitter's Coven is heavily inspired by both The Babysitter's Club and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to the point where our narrator Esme talks about how she is left with being the Mary Anne of the group despite having terrible handwriting and referencing the Buffyverse on multiple occasions.

I never connected with the characters. Cassandra is very much the 'Faith' character to Esme's 'Buffy,' but neither of them felt fully fleshed out to me. The romance, if we can even call it that, felt contrived and forced. I did, however, enjoy Janis and her sense of style (I'm sure she's going to be a more fashionable Willow) and I appreciated that we had three characters of color in the book.

The writing is fast-paced but at times jarring because the narrative literally uses chatspeak like 'LOL,' 'IRL,' and 'IDK' in-text and conversation... and no one talks like that. Especially teens today who tend to use laughing emojis instead of writing 'LOL.' And as much as it pains me to be so critical, the worldbuilding we do get feels like words changed in the Buffyverse lore. The Hellmouth becomes a Portal, Slayers become Sitters, Watchers become Counsel, and The Council becomes the Synod. The main difference is Sitters don't kill, they Return the monsters to the Portal. Oh, and they use magic because ~witches~.

I hate to be so critical of a book, especially a debut. But I would be remiss to not mention how uncomfortable the text reads at times. The first-person narrative voice of a teenager is difficult because let's face it: we can be catty bitches in high school and our thoughts are unfiltered. But Esme is not a nice person and she is someone who I struggled to want to root for when she is the one being bullied. And let's talk about the choice to make the main bully overweight and have Esme refer to her as both a hippo and fat cow. Of making fun of Stephani for not having an 'e' at the end of her name. It's just unnecessary.

The whole Counsel situation and the circumstances for them actually kind of learning about who they are and their powers is... it's creepy as hell and quite frankly uncalled for. Especially because it goes unchallenged? Like who the HELL would go with an angry person in their car under "get in the backseat or I will make you" duress (this is a literal quote. I am not making this up.)? The whole exposition-in-the-creepy-basement thing made me so uncomfortable. The dude basically kidnaps them but it winds up okay apparently because he's supposed to be their paranormal teacher.

Unfortunately, this book did not work for me at all, but it may work for a younger reader who especially loves the 80s and 90s and isn't as into Buffy as I am. But given some of the cringey and uncomfortable things in text, I am not really comfortable recommending a young teen to read this book. I really wanted to love this one, and Williams has a lot of quirky ideas that will likely develop in the series as she hones her craft, but I won't be continuing with this series.

Many thanks to Delacorte Press for providing me an electronic ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. Quotations taken from an uncorrected proof and may change upon final publication.

Cover reveal first impressions:
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
Profile Image for Ashley Nuckles.
190 reviews7,298 followers
October 10, 2019
Such a cute book! Esme had a great voice and was really funny! While the story had bits of a “been there done that” sort of story, I still enjoyed it! :)
Profile Image for alana ♡.
640 reviews1,237 followers
November 13, 2019
I'm still on the fence between 2.5 and 3 stars for this one.

I really enjoyed the writing and how easy it was to fly through this one. The characters worked pretty well in the story and I spent a good amount of time laughing at Esme's embarrassing moments.

I think my biggest issue with this one is that I may have overhyped myself for it. I mean, The Babysitter's Club meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer is going to catch anyone's attention who grew up in the 90's. Now add witches to the mix and I was basically salivating at the mouth for this one. And I get that this is YA, I really do, but this reads on the lower scale of YA so the younger generation picking it up will probably love it (I know I would if I was between 12-16), but for us older folk over here...not so much. It was a weird reading experience being reminded of the books/TV shows you loved when you were younger and taking that nostalgia and giving it to a younger generation that won't really understand it. Basically,this just shows how old I'm getting 😭😂

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still picking up the next book to see where the story goes!

----------------------------

I am LIVING for all the witchy books 2019 is bringing our way!

September, please HURRY THE HELL UP!

Blog | Twitter
Profile Image for Lucy Tonks.
416 reviews691 followers
January 21, 2021
If you're looking for a positive review, you're not going to find it here, sorry.

So let's start from the beginning. I wasn't the biggest fan of the characters. Esme, our main character was literally judging everyone on every freaking page! It made it extremely annoying for me to read from her perspective. Also it wasn't like she was perfect. First of all she was extremely naive, like way too naive. She made so many stupid mistakes. I rolled my eyes so many times in this book that I lost count. Cassandra was another story. I liked how badass she was, but she was way too impulsive for my liking. Dion, Cassandra's brother, had no personality. I am not joking, he literally had no personality at all. He was introduced and the author was like "Oh, look a cute boy, let's make him the love interest".

I never have a problem with a writing style. At least I never had a problem with the writing style of a book, until now. I hated the acronyms. When I first saw the acronyms I couldn't believe she actually wrote it on the page. Seriously, couldn't she write "as soon as possible", did she have to write "ASAP"?! It's not a text message, it's a book! I also saw "LOL", "WTF" and "IRL" in this book. There may have been more, but I tried to ignore them as much as I could. But obviously, they still pissed me off. Esme's voice was so childish. I'm younger than she is supposed to be and I don't speak like that! There was so much slang in this book and it reads like Kate Williams didn't consult with anyone under 25 about it.

The pop culture referances also bothered me. They were cool and all, but this book only had 90's pop culture. I don't mind pop culture in books, but if you write a book with a teenager main character, in the present day, maybe add some more recent pop culture.

I am so disappointed in this book. I had such faith in this book, but in the end I was let down. It had so much potential, there were so many great elements in this book, but ultimately they were just poorly written.
Profile Image for Amy Imogene Reads.
882 reviews760 followers
September 18, 2019

Buffy the Vampire Slayers + The Babysitters Club + 2019 humor. This was cute and funny, but I wasn't the right audience.

Concept: ★★★★
Aesthetic: ★★★★
Plot: ★★ 1/2
Age range: the young end of YA

The Babysitters Coven is a FUN read. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and makes the comparison to its own roots as the 2019 lovechild of Buffy and The Babysitters Club.

Esme Pearl is a high school student with a passion for quirky fashion and a love of babysitting. She started a babysitting hotline with her best friend, Janis, and while they mainly use it as an excuse to hang out every day, they do get frequent babysitting requests.

However, things are changing in Esme's world. When she gets mad, things move. As things continue to happen around her, Esme realizes that maybe she's not going crazy like her mom did.

Enter Cassandra Heaven, the new girl in school. She seems weirdly focused on Esme, and she's definitely noticed the telekinesis. Oh, and she's obsessed with joining the babysitting club.

What's going on with the babysitters, and why does Esme feel like things are following a pre-destined path? A few spells, demons, and trainings later, and things start to make sense...

The Babysitters Coven made no bones about being filled with tropes, but it was still a rollicking good time. It's nice to see a YA novel cater to the 13-15 year olds, but due to its younger humor and use of tropes it was not a personal favorite. Unlike many of the YA novels coming out, this one is actually for its young audiences and not the many adults (like me!) who read the genre anyway.

Thank you to Delcorte Press for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
August 22, 2019
The Babysitters Coven was cute, funny, and snarky. I loved the first half (5 stars) and liked the second half (3 stars). I feel like The Sitters and how they came to be, all their history, how each was chosen, etc. wasn't explained well enough. I want to know more!

I will happily average both together and give it 4 stars. Can't wait to read the next installment!
Profile Image for Carole (Carole's Random Life).
1,639 reviews449 followers
September 17, 2019
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was a fun book! I really didn't know too much about the book when I picked it up but I just couldn't seem to look away from that gorgeous cover. Once I picked it up and started reading, I was completely sold. This book did a lot of things really well and made for a very entertaining read. I am so glad that I decided to give this book a try.

Esme and her best friend Janis are members (the only members) of a babysitters club. When they aren't babysitting, they are busy looking for clothes at thrift shops or just putting together that perfect outfit. When a new girl moves to town and wants to join their club, they are shocked. Did I mention that there are some strange things happening to Esme? Let's just say that Esme has a whole lot on her plate and more than a few things to figure out.

I loved Esme. She hasn't had it easy but she is strong and seems to deal with everything pretty well. I loved Esme's sense of humor. I liked the fact that she doesn't always know what to do and is sometimes uncertain as I think anyone in her situation would be. Janis was a pretty amazing best friend as well. She was there when Esme really needed her and seemed to be the best kind of support for her. I did have to warm up to Cassandra a bit. I wasn't sure of her but a big part of that was probably due to the fact that Esme wasn't sure of her either.

This was a really quick read for me. I really liked the humor that was a part of this story. I didn't expect this to be such a funny book but I think that the humor really helped to set the overall tone. I liked the paranormal elements that were a part of the story as well. I thought that everything from the spells to the more action-packed scenes had a nice balance of mystery, humor, and magic. I did feel like the story slowed down a bit in the middle but

I would recommend this book to others. I thought that this was a very well done introduction to a promising series. I look forward to future adventures with Esme and her friends!

I received an advanced copy of this book from Delacorte Press.

Initial Thoughts
Probably more like 3.5 stars but I am rounding up for now. I really liked the beginning of the book and I thought that the end was well done but it really dragged in the middle for me. I liked the characters and thought that the humor in the story was very well done. All in all, it was a rather entertaining read.
Profile Image for Rebecca Maye Holiday.
Author 29 books126 followers
September 2, 2022
I don't quite understand this book. Trapped in a sort of hideously vapourwave husk of the 1990's, but set in the glowing haze of the digital age, there's never not an agenda or political ploy of some sort tossed into the witchy salad that is The Babysitters Coven. The main character uses text-speak, and references to Instagram and smartphones abound. So do references to David Bowie as the Goblin King in Labyrinth and other 1980s trends that make the plot confusing and ever-ambiguous. Phrases like "intersectional feminist" and talk of males who are stupid enough to "shelve tampons next to tennis balls" make the book more of something to cringe at than to find funny. Buried in here somewhere is a story. I was born in 1998, and I don't know what Kate Williams's childhood was like, but I can guarantee her that no normal adolescent ever talked the way the characters in this bizarre book talk. The peculiar fixation on leftist politics, the outdated slang, the profanity... has the author actually ever been a teenager?

The Babysitters Coven takes place in Kansas, and follows Esme Pearl, a teenage girl who babysits as a side hustle to avoid her father pestering her about getting a job. She has a weird thing against jobs. It's as if this character is contrary and oppositional to everything, and must make everything into a cause or statement... which is sort of what teenagers do, but that doesn't necessarily make for good reading. Esme has a pit bull named Pig (thankfully Williams spares readers a political dive into the prickly territory of the "pittie support" movement), and a best friend named Janis, the black sidekick who conveniently fades into the background when no longer needed in the second half of the story. Why? Well, I suppose that Janis is better off away from the tropish Twin Peaks-esque redux that plagues Esme and her apparently more interesting new friend Cassandra, who looks like a supermodel, dresses like a hobo and appears to have magical powers. This is all cute and everything, but it's been done to death already.

The humour is exactly what you would expect from a book where the main character, a high school student, uses the phrases "intersectional feminist". Which is to say, it's like watching paint dry in the hall of an arts college. Hopefully the sequel will be better.
Profile Image for L. | That_Bookdragon.
252 reviews12 followers
October 22, 2019
3/5 ⭐️

Thank you so much to Penguin Random House International for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

This book was a fun read. I wanted to keep it for this end of October because it was giving me all the Halloween vibes, and it delivered. I've read on several reviews people compare it to Buffy, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and The Babysitters Club and I can only agree with all of them. It even mentions them and makes fun of itself because of the similar aspects there were between those fictional worlds.

This book follows Esme Pearl who is a high school student with a genuine love for babysitting. However, one day her world is turned upside down when she gets mad and notices objects floating around her. This marks the beginning of a new adventure for Esme filled with spells, demons and other strange things happening...

As I said, this book was truly a fun read. It helped me relax and made me laugh even though it is more oriented towards young teenagers. It overuses some tropes but it didn't stop me from having a great time in any way at all. I didn't know this was going to be a series and I'm looking forward to the next books! I did felt like the ending was a bit rushed and changed a lot of elements abruptly

To conclude, a very nice light read with a cool magic system!

That was also my first read for The Fall of the TBR readathon 👻🎃
Profile Image for Howard.
1,073 reviews63 followers
November 19, 2021
4 Stars for The Babysitters Coven (audiobook) by Kate Williams read by Phoebe Strole.

This was a really fun YA story. It was so creative. It felt like the author must have really enjoyed writing this. I loved the characters and the setting. The magic was unique too.
Profile Image for Taylor.
376 reviews130 followers
December 23, 2019
Thank you so much to Delacorte Press for providing an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 out of 5 Stars.

This one hurts, y'all, because I mean just look at that cover. Look at that synopsis. Look at my heart breaking that this didn't deliver like I wanted it to!

Although this witchy novel didn't work for me (for a variety of reasons I'll outline in a full, fleshed out review soon), it is a book I believe would probably work well for a younger crowd. Or ones that aren't familiar with the Buffyverse. For the most part it's just a case of "it's me, not the book."

Stay tuned for my full thoughts (and issues with this book) after the weekend!
Profile Image for Melanie (mells_view).
1,683 reviews311 followers
September 17, 2019
I’d like to start this off by saying that I did not realize that this was going to be a series, so I figured I’d let anyone who reads this review know that 😂

The Babysitter’s Coven is a good read. It reads like the author is taking some of the most popular 90’s female led shows/movies, and mushing the storyline/characters into one love child baby book. At times it works, and at times it feels like there is a bit too much focus on how alike this story is to one show in particular. That being said this was still an enjoyable read. I thought it was quirky and fun, had a tiny dash of romance, all while still slowly building a paranormal factor. The lore and what information we get about the Sitterhood, the Synod, the Definite, and the Negative really intrigued me. I was wanting more and more as I read, and since there’s another book we will hopefully get that!

I can’t exactly say that I connected with the characters, because I didn’t. Maybe I’m just too old at this point, but I do think they could be relatable to younger readers. They were a different, yet likable group. Esme has this snarky fun personality that had me giggling at even just her inner monologue. Her journey and growth from chapter one to chapter twenty-three is a ride, and seeing her get stronger and bolder is refreshing. Add in Janis as the reliable bestie, and Cassandra as the new girl with some fire (lmao), and you’ve got this group of friends who work together in more ways than one to be protectors. In the life of a normal teen babysitter and a not so normal Sitter.

All in all this was a good YA read. I think that Kate Williams has the beginning of what could be a fun paranormal series led by teen girls and their strength.

AVAILABLE NOW!!
*ARC provided by NetGalley
Profile Image for Audra (ouija.reads).
728 reviews248 followers
November 23, 2021
Just look at the cover of this book—it says it all! Pink with a dash of witchy glamour.

This is a witty, modern mashup of all the best dramatic and best friend elements of The Babysitter’s Club series, the black humor and witchery of The Craft, and the crime-fighting badassery of Buffy. If you loved My Best Friend's Exorcism, this book should be added to your TBR immediately, if not sooner (as my high school English teacher was wont to say).

I loved every page. Williams’s writing is so relatable and was constantly making me giggle. I don’t know how actual high schoolers would feel about her depictions, but for me (about ten years removed from those glory days)they felt so spot on.

Esme and her pal Janis are such a pair—I loved the way they discussed their fashion choices each day a la Clueless—"Today Janis was 'Denise gets a stepdaughter,' and I was 'Sylvia Plath goes to prom.'" Add in an adorably cuddly pit bull named Pig, the inflammatory *wink* personality of Cassandra, the woes of high school, and the most inventively fun magic spells I’ve ever read about, and this is an adventure that had me setting aside all my responsible adulting to find out what was going to happen.

This book is lite on the horror and heavy on the fun, but the witchy elements will definitely appeal to speculative and black comedy crowd. If you are into any of the pop culture references from above, you’ll probably dig this one. It certainly stands alone as a brilliant story, but it also leaves the door open for a sequel—which is already on the way!

I am really getting into YA horror!

My thanks to Delacorte Press for my copy of this one to read and review.
Profile Image for Rachel (TheShadesofOrange).
1,968 reviews2,694 followers
November 2, 2019
4.0 Stars
This was an incredibly fun, not-too-serious paranormal urban fantasy. The tone was of story is a bit satirical with just the right amount of humour to keep me thoroughly entertained. This was definitely not scary, but I am still tempted recommend this to horror readers since it played on the classic tropes of genre, referencing babysitter horror movies like Halloween. The book really is “The Babysitters Club meets Buffy”, which made it so much fun to read. It was very reminiscent of many of the paranormal books I read as a teenager. This definitely intended for a younger audience (with some teenage slang I didn’t understand), yet I still really enjoyed it, even though I don’t tend to read a lot of YA anymore. It follows some of the YA tropes I dislike, but it also turned some of those tropes on their head is some very entertaining ways that I really appreciated. I would definitely recommend this one to other readers. If the synopsis sounds like your thing, you should check this one out.
Profile Image for samantha  Bookworm-on-rainydays.
278 reviews113 followers
October 2, 2019
This was a pretty fun read with great writing, creative ideas, effortless humor and hints of fashion Williams is ana amazing writer and I can’t wait for the next adventure.
Profile Image for greta.
192 reviews207 followers
January 9, 2021
so i just finished my second book of the year and it was not as great as i was expecting it to be lol.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
first of all, i didn't really expect it to be sci-fi, so the description is a bit misleading. second of all, this was such a boring book... i was bored out of my mind for most of the book, the ending picked up, but then it felt like everything's happening wayyy too fast and it was all sorted just as quick as it started. unbelievable.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
i also didn't connect with any character, they all felt childish and personalities not really elaborated. felt like the author wrote this book in a day, not giving much effort to put actual love in the characters, but just writing for the sake of it.
i do love the cover, however, but the story it contains is equal to fuck all lol.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
don't wanna sound harsh, maybe other books will be better by this author, but i genuinely think like she hasn't put much effort at all towards writing this.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
hopefully if any of u decide to read this, u end up liking it, but i definitely would not recommend this.
Profile Image for amanda.
345 reviews26 followers
August 9, 2019
I was really excited for more witchy ya books but this just wasn’t what I expected in any way and it ended up being really disappointing.

The writing is clunky and yes, I know this is a paranormal/fantasy, but it was super unbelievable at times and made me cringe with the exaggerated slang.

The premise is that Esme has powers and meets a new girl at school who shocker ALSO has powers. They find out they both come from a long line of “sitters” and have to save the world.

It’s cute in a way and reminds me a lot of Buffy which the synopsis boasts. The thing is though, it just wasn’t good. It was cheesy and mostly a headache to read. While I am sympathetic towards Esme I also could not stand her at the same time.

Apparently this is part one of a series so maybe the next book will be better. Points to the super cute cover and also Esme’s dog Pig. The true hero of the series.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Brithanie Faith.
256 reviews164 followers
September 2, 2019
3.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Babysitters Coven by Kate Williams follows seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl as she navigates her way though high-school, babysitting, new friendships, and the discovery that being a babysitter (or Sitter) means a lot more than changing dirty diapers. The Sitter's are young women of magical lineage who must protect the innocent- and do so all before the parents come home.

There was something about The Babysitters Coven that elicited feelings of nostalgia in me, and because of that- I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Had this book existed 10 years ago this would have been a 5 star read for me-hands down, but I'm getting older folks, and that unfortunately means that I'm noticing a change in taste. That being said- I'm still anticipating the sequel, and I look forward to seeing Kate grow as an author.

I'll likely share more of my thoughts on this closer to the release date.
Profile Image for Ashley Daviau.
1,729 reviews740 followers
January 21, 2022
Word of warning, don’t go into this expecting a literary masterpiece or you’re sure to be disappointed. It’s terribly young and SO HEAVY on the cheese and the slang is actually LITERALLY eye roll inducing at times. Now that being said, I absolutely fucking LOVED IT. Behind all the cheesiness and awful slang (that made me feel very old) there’s an excellent story that’s actually really interesting. Both aspects come together to make such a weirdly unique reading experience and I was all for it. Is it earth shattering and bloody and terrifying as I usually like my horror? No. But it’s one of the funnest and most entertaining horror stories I’ve read in a long time and sometimes it’s nice to have a silly spooky read instead of a more gruesome one. I also kind of want to be a part of the Babysitters Coven, not gonna lie.
Profile Image for jessica ☾.
741 reviews85 followers
November 12, 2019
This started off really strong for me, but immediately fizzled out after that. And everyone in this book just seemed like they were trying too hard. I do absolutely love the cover and so wish I’d gotten around to reading this before Halloween!

It’s also the first book I’ve ever read that used the word ‘woke’ and I’m honestly not sure how to feel about that lol.
Profile Image for Eilonwy.
814 reviews202 followers
June 1, 2020
This just never really grabbed me, and I finally took it back to the library. It's not fair to try to review what I didn't like about it since I only got about 100 pages in. Let's just say that nothing about it made sense, and when I looked at other GR reviews, I decided it probably wasn't ever going to make any sense. So sorry book, because the idea for you seemed so good!
Profile Image for Celia.
Author 6 books470 followers
May 12, 2019
Thank you to Delacorte Press and NetGalley for the chance to review this title ahead of its release date.

Wow. This book was just what I needed. Witty writing, with a magical plot-line and a protagonist you can cheer for to the very end. I just came off reading a highly disappointing anticipated read, and I have to be honest, my hope in books plummeted a bit. But thanks to this delightful, witchy read, hope has been renewed.

What's it about?

Esme is a seventeen-year-old babysitter from a complicated home. Her mother was put into a mental hospital when she was young, and her father doesn't really jump at the chance to talk about it. Along with her best friend and fellow fashionista, Janis, they form a babysitter's club which is really just them browsing the internet and watching movies. Weirdo things start happening when a new girl named Cassandra and her hot brother show up. Suddenly, Esme finds herself in an entirely different club, and it has nothing to do with changing diapers.

What I loved: Esme's voice. Her narration does a colossal justice to YA everywhere. It mixes in a sometimes cynical girl who loves movies and clothes and her friends and is entirely awkward in front of her crush. It was so fun reading her quirkiness. And I laughed out loud so many times. When a book can do that to me, I know it's going to be good.

The story was light-hearted and went ways I couldn't even imagine. I've never watched an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer so sue me, but It is inspired by it, and from other reviews, I hear it takes a few notes from the show as well.

I judge a book by how fast I get ready for bed to lie down and read. This one had me skipping skincare routines so that I could continue reading. It's a quick, spooky romp through the head of a girl who is just trying to navigate life but has to fight evil monsters instead.

The only thing that did irk me was the lack of CALLING THE COPS thing when things happened. I get it, for plot's sake, they had to deal on their own, but being the mother-bear inside of me was cursing them out for not enlisting the adults. ARGH.

I'm hoping for redemption and a real love interest in the next one. I cannot wait to take Esme, Cassandra, and Janis and just squeeze them and tell them things will be all right if you stick together, darn it.

Kate Williams has made a fan out of me.
Profile Image for Emily.
1,264 reviews331 followers
October 25, 2019
"Demons. Monsters. Nightmares. Evil."

The Babysitters Coven was such a fun read! I adore the idea of this book. I love The Baby-Sitters Club books, and I appreciate this book even more for acknowledging them.

It was such a fun read, and I was really entertained while reading. My only complaint was that the witchy parts were a little too spread out for my liking. I wish there would have been a little more, and sometimes it felt like the contemporary parts lasted for a long time in between. It was still enjoyable, though.

Book 2 comes out next year & I can't wait! I highly recommend picking this one up if you need a fun novel with horror tones that is a little on the lighter side (this was definitely what I needed right now).
Profile Image for Tijana.
305 reviews148 followers
October 19, 2022

Never read a book that screamed 2000's more than this one. I'm having a hard time processing it was published only a couple of years ago.
It felt like "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" with a splash of "Charmed", and a drizzle of "Bras and Broomsticks", but not in a good way.
It had dated and slightly immature vibes.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I hate it when urban fantasy is beyond unrealistic.
And I know, I know, it's fantasy, but witch who has the power to manipulate cheese? Or only ingredients needed for a spell being spunge and sharpie?
I don't know, but I'm not buying it.

On a positive note, there was something addictive about The Babysitters Coven and I'm probably going to finish the series.
Profile Image for Jen Ryland.
1,434 reviews899 followers
October 11, 2019
This had an irresistible (for me) premise and a lot of cute stuff going for it. I really did loved Esme as a character and this story had a lot of fun (and funny) aspects.

However, this wasn't the exciting paranormal story I was hoping for. I felt the pacing was way off. Not much happened for so much of the book that I contemplated DNFing several times. There's a lot of going to school and putting together wacky outfits and not nearly enough witchy thrills and chills. All the action and paranormal world building was crammed into the last quarter of the book, which I thought made the ending rushed and confusing.

(Also, for a while I thought this was set in the 90s as the teenage vibe in the book felt a bit off. The "kids" in the story did things, like use texting abbreviations unironically, that my teen kids mock me for.)

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!
Profile Image for Melanie (TBR and Beyond).
502 reviews359 followers
September 2, 2019
I won't be rating this since I didn't finish it, but what a huge disappointment. It was about to throw me into a slump, so I had to stop.

The character tried too hard to be a cross between Cher from Clueless and Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it fell flat. Every now and then I smiled at a reference but most of the time it made no sense why this character was even making those references.

OMG, the outfits - I CAN'T! Look I loved Clueless, I've seen it more times than I can count and I love the character of Cher and watching her pick out outfits was fun. This was NOT. She changes her look entirely every single day and we have to hear about them from top to bottom. This is constant. Like almost every damn chapter and most of the outfits made me roll my eyes because I want to know exactly how this girl knows pretty much only 90s references. She wasn't born then, so what exactly makes it her era? TELL ME PLEASE.

I will say the book started out strong, I thought I was going to love it and then it went downhill fast and the magic stuff is really not explained well and she meets a boy and instantly thinks he is the most beautiful thing she has seen on earth. I get it she's a teen - fair, but not that enjoyable to read about time and time again.

Anyway, I know I was harsh but I these are my overall feelings on this book. Big let down for me. Hopefully the book will work for others.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,327 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.