Start by marking “The Source of Magic (The Other Human Species #1)” as Want to Read:
The Source of Magic (The Other Human Species #1)

The Source of Magic

(The Other Human Species #1)

Two boys. Two forms of magic. One powerful combination.

When Elliot Rivers, a Homo Sapiens, becomes friends with Barve, a Nean (Neanderthal) on their first day at university he has no idea of the conflict and fury it will cause among the students and staff, as well as within his family. To make matters more difficult, Barve’s argumentative brother, Farlden, hates Elliot.
Published March 6th 2018 by Meroda Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Source of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Source of Magic

Start your review of The Source of Magic (The Other Human Species #1)
Joyfully Jay
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Source of Magic is the first in a new urban fantasy series by Clare Solomon. The premise is certainly intriguing: a modern world where Homo Sapiens and Homo Neanderthalensis coexist, but have only recently become equal. There remains a great deal of hostility on the part of Sapiens against the Neans, who were former slaves and pacifists. Neans have magic and sometimes Sapiens, with Nean heritage, will also have magic, all with different talents. Unfortunately
caroline wilson
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book by the author for an honest opinion.
I really enjoyed this book it was something out of the norm and which I hadn't read before. This was also a new to me author and it won't be the last I read from her.
Though there was no naughty bits the story carried it through and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This book is set in a world where there is two separate human species the Neanderthal and sapien. The class system is still widely unfair and up until recently Neanderthals were treated
Antonella
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5
I liked this book, because of the original idea it is based upon. Sadly you don't get to know much more than that basic idea, everything stays quite vague. I'm not fond of long explanations, but I'd like to know something about a universe. The characters are also a bit flat. I'm not motivated enough to buy the sequel, even though this book ends with a cliffhanger.
Violet  Marshall
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
This is the first book in The Other Human Species Series. A captivating book the writing was great. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I found the story and characters likeable. The characters were developed and thought out. Elliot and Farlden are the MC’s of this book. There was school, prejuidice, friends, family, politics, magic, different races, an attack and so much more in this book.

Here is a quote from the book, “I guess it’s part of growing up,” he said
Terri
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific beginning to a new YA series. Elliot becomes friends with brothers Barve and Farlden, despite the fact that they are Neanderthals (Neans) and Elliot is Homo Sapiens. The Neans are just now being allowed to attend college, ten years after the end of the slavery of their species. Elliot and Farlden (Fal) each possess magic, which they can combine to see someone's memories. As they share their magic, their feelings for each other grow.
There is rampant racism and hatred the
Amanda Whitehouse
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first novel by this author and it won't be the last.

I really enjoyed the set up and world building for this story. It was done smoothly without info dumping, which some authors tend to do when setting up an alternative reality to what we live in.

This is a YA and the main characters are mature and well written. The story moved along quickly and smoothly and the ending is a little sudden, leaving you wanting more.

I voluntarily received and read an advanced copy of this novel.
SunShiney10
Jan 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Very disappoitend.... Spoiler ahead...

It ends in a cliffhanger! Aargh! And since i wont buy other books of this series ill never know the ending. Which aint so bad, because the book was kinda boring.

I thought bigger things would be handled, but they were just talked about. And the romance... was non-existent until 95% to the end. The idea war awesome and new and interesting, but the way it was written.... zzzZZZzzZZZzzz Deleted.
Andrea
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good writing, well-developed characters and a compelling story. This is one of my first YA reads and I am impressed with the quality and maturity. I liked everything about it except that it ended with a cliffhanger. Didn't like that at all.

Joscelyn Smith
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great series starter. Engaging characters and an interesting, original storyline drew me in. I was so into the book that I was caught off guard when the end came, I so wasn't ready for it to end. I am now in desperate need of the next book in the series.
Gina Marie ~books are my drug of choice~
I thoroughly enjoyed the young adult/new adult fantasy. This is the first book I have read by Clare Solomon but I can't wait to read the next in the series. The characters are well developed and likeable. The story is full of twists and turns which keep the story interesting.
I would recommend this book to people of all ages who like fantasy and have no issues with lgbt characters.

• A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • That Irresistible Poison (Calluvia's Royalty, #2)
  • Nothing Ventured (The Chosen One, #2)
  • Elemental Magick (The Donovan Coven #1)
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • The Enchanter's Flame (The Ellwood Chronicles #1)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • Patron of Mercy (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • Yours, Forever After
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • Prisoner of Shadows (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • His Consort
  • Pendulum (Kingdom of Night, #1)
  • Human Omega: Trapped in the Alien Jungle (Pykh #2)
Clare Solomon began writing novels nearly three decades ago, when she was a teenager. She has worked in a variety of jobs, including legal secretary and sales advisor, while continuing to write and trying and failing to get a traditional publisher for her work. She has had a short play performed by the local amateur dramatics group and recorded on local radio and came joint first place in a local ...more

The Other Human Species (3 books)
  • The Nature of Time (The Other Human Species #2)
  • A New Reality (The Other Human Species, #3)