Start by marking “Remember It!: The Names of People You Meet, All of Your Passwords, Where You Left Your Keys, and Everything Else You Tend to Forget” as Want to Read:

Throughout his research into memory theory, Nelson Dellis found existing memory improvement guides to be wanting—overcomplicated, dry, and stodgy. So he decided to write a book that is approachable and fun, centered on what people actually need to remember. In Remember It!, Dellis teaches us how to make the most of our memory, using his competition-winning techniques. ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Remember It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember It!

Start your review of Remember It!: The Names of People You Meet, All of Your Passwords, Where You Left Your Keys, and Everything Else You Tend to Forget
Andreas
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is better than revisiting an old topic by reading a new book. More than 4 years ago I was fascinated by memorization of lists and numbers and learnt a couple of tricks. Over time I was running out of steam and dropped the whole topic but now I am back with a vengeance.

Nelson Dellis is 4x USA Memory Champion. Throughout the book he points out that everyone is able to remember things well. He isn't especially gifted, it all comes down to applying some old, well known techniques plus a bit of
Daniel
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of Nelson Dellis before I read this book. This book was a joy to read. A lot of useful information about how to remember more. This book made me laugh at different parts of the book. I can't wait to use the foreign language word remember tips. The person action object system seems like fun when trying to remember numbers. I also can't wait to see how well I do at remembering the order of playing cards. Reading this book made me think that one day with enough practice that I to ...more
R. Gregory
The author gives a clear and practical description of how to memorise many of the things that we tend to forget everyday. He also gets in depth on how to use the techniques and make them work. I think his techniques are practical and very useful.
Ian Pitchford
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

Dellis has mastered these techniques and has put them to good use. If you want to do the same then this book is the best guide I know of and I’ve read many, many books of this type.
Raymond Pater
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Started listening on Audio Book. Much better in print format. Great book to learn tools to assist in remembering. Well done.
Miles
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The whole book is really "one weird trick..." expanded on and into many examples and situations. Should have been article length instead. Really nice illustrations though!
Justin
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Pretty amazing, but not perfect. Has tons of real world examples including a most useful technique for remembering names.
Matej
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is excellent at what it tries to do: teach you effective techniques for uploading (large amounts of) information into your brain as quickly as possible. These techniques are based on breaking the information into pieces, visualising each as an intentionally ridiculous, memorable image, and then linking the images together in some way.
Two minor issues I had with this book:
(1) Not much focus on how to maintain the memorised information in long-term memory, not just for a couple of days.
James Wright
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
Nelson Dellis has done a remarkable job of teaching us how to train our memories and make them stronger.

Using examples from his own experience he shows us just how simple memory training can be.

This book is a pure pleasure to read.
Tony
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, useful, and funny. No false advertising in this one - Nelson Dellis delivers what he promises.
Livan Grijalva
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, very knowledgeable and very practical content
Baze Blackwood
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Note, I was planning on giving this a 4, but sometimes the examples of things you're supposed to try out these memorization techniques on are typoed on the same page. Dates, numbers, etc. could have used a little more close attention during editing... that being said:

It's an intriguing book. The techniques are practical as long as you don't mind letting your imagination flow freely. I only wish there was more historical context around how these techniques came to be the most prominent, who
Brad Lockey
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ig-reviewed
Am I ever going to win a memory championship ... nope.
But that's not why I read this.
I read to challenge myself and keep my brain processing information.
The SEE-LINK-GO method is something I was already doing myself, but after reading this book I am armed with a better structure of how to remember and recall.
This was a fun read, but be forewarned, it takes time to learn the techniques and you will only learn them with effort and repetition.
Yoric
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author is very enthusiastic, and the journey to have a super memory with him looks like a lot of fun.
I always wondered if memory athlete could use their imagination for other things than memorization. Like getting ideas, writing.
And how it could affect our self-talk and thoughts in our everyday life.
Zhuo Zhang
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
It is a quick and fun read. The main point is to visualize what you need to remember, and link it to the things that you are very familiar and give them a new meaning. See - Pay attention, Link - Visualize and Link - New yet easy to remember meaning.
Lisa
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
There are definitely some neat tips and ideas in here for improving memory and remembering things. I think for me it will mostly be helpful for remembering names and numbers.
Stephen Holmes
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great overview of memory techniques and good examples of how to apply them
Johan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful

I am enjoy reading this book. I think is very useful for day by day. I really really like it
Brendan
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best memory-specific book I've read. Does a great job connecting to the practical, which is where most memory books fail.
Kaitlyn Dennis
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, audio
This is a clearly-written, relatively simple introduction to some of the techniques that enabled the author to become a 4x US memory champion. The further into the book, the more esoteric the skills explained tend to be, though by the point you're reading about how to implement the PAO system to memorize a deck of cards, the underlying principles have been explored enough that it doesn't seem an enormous leap to learn. I listened on audiobook, but I think this would probably be better digested ...more
Simon Lee
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Nelson has introduces novel ways to remember things with the framework of "See, Link & Go". The book is approachable and written vividly with loads of colourful images. Personally, I found it onerous to administer the "link" method as there are loads of substituted items to remember first before I can start to remember.
Max
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW. It's literally mind changing.
Jerome
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this as an audiobook. I intend to purchase the actual book, as I think the physical book will provide a much better resource than the audiobook.
Nick Jones
It was okay. Not as helpful as I had hoped.
Sylvain Fiset
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like it!!! A lot of work to do but will help me with memory!!!
Wynand
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book if u interested in training your memory:)
Vince Deep
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memory
An excellent introduction to memory. Nelson writes in a casual way, really enjoyed reading it. Anyone with interest in improving your memory this book will be my recommendation.
Dave
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
There are good techniques in the book to help remember various things. Must continuously practice them to be effective.

• Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
  • Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential
  • Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
  • Mercure
  • The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life

Nelson Charles Dellis is an American memory athlete, Grandmaster of Memory, mountaineer, published author, public speaker, and consultant. He is a four-time USA Memory Champion, tying the record for most wins of the national memory champion title. He is also one of the co-founders of Memory League
“Basic Things You Must Remember Before You Start” 0 likes
“It’s quite odd, how one occasionally has to hunt around in one’s memory as if for a book in a library without call numbers . . . —DOUGLAS HOFSTADTER*” 0 likes