Start by marking “21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality” as Want to Read:

Based on a viral article, 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act is the essential guide to understanding the legal document and its repercussion on generations of Indigenous Peoples, written by a leading cultural sensitivity trainer.

Since its creation in 1876, the Indian Act has shaped, controlled, and constrained the lives and opportunities of Indigenous Peoples,
Published April 10th 2018 by Indigenous Relations Press

To ask other readers questions about 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act

Start your review of 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality
Séanin
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Should be mandatory reading for every Canadian.
Ashley Daviau
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know where to start with this book. It’s heartbreaking and disgusting to think that the country I live in could be so racist. I also feel terribly uneducated, I had never heard of the Indian Act before and I had no idea how badly Indigenous Peoples were treated by Canada. But it is my responsibility as a Canadian to know and to educate myself about my country and to fight against such terrible injustices being inflicted. After reading this book, I vow to do better and fight racial i ...more
Story
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Though not an easy book to read both because of the tragic content and the dry but necessary legal terminology used throughout, '21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act' is essential reading for anyone who seeks to understand the serious harm the Indian Act has caused--and continues to cause--Indigenous people today.

It details the ways in which first the British and later the Canadian governments systematically tried to erase Indigenous people from the face of the earth and makes it very
Andrew
21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality by Bob Joseph, is a critical examination of Canada's Indian Act, a piece of policy that dictates the relationship between the Canadian government, and Aboriginal Nations in Canada. This Act is widely seen in modern times as a discriminatory relic of Canada's colonial past, and the terms and conditions of this Act have been highly damaging to the livelihoods, traditions and cul ...more
Ashli
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indigenous-books
Great book! Breaks down segments of the Indian Act and briefly explains how each have informed biases and stereotypes that exist in the present day. Really good starting point for those wanting to learn more about the harmful impacts of colonization on Indigenous folks. Also a great collection of resources including a terms glossary, chronological timeline of residential schools, the Calls to Action, and discussion topics and activities. Would recommend as a resource book to keep on hand!
Vanessa Siemens
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An important book for Canadians to read. Was a good primer for looking at the Indian Act and its history and impact on people who have not been fully seen or honoured in our history. Parts were hard to read in recognizing the truth of the implications on individuals as a result of the Indian Act. I felt like it ended a bit too quickly- suddenly it was in part 3 and it felt like an abrupt transition. Lots of important stuff in the appendix and helpful suggestions for further reading.
Carman
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Essential reading for all Canadians
✨ livia ✨
My Rating: 5 stars

21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act is exactly about what the title says. It's a list of things that aren't generally well known about the already obscure and not-taught-about Indian Act.

My Breakdown:

- This is a truly eye-opening book. Canadians, if you're reading this review, you must read this book. I only vaguely knew about what happened to Indigenous Peoples, Inuit and Métis in our country, let alone the Indian Act. As a Canadian, especially a settler,
Tichana  (The Book Hobbit)
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
8 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act was an informative book that got to the point without wasting any time on irrelevant information.

I'm still appalled that the Canadian government continues to treat indigenous people as second class citizens. The Indian Act should've been abolished long ago, yet it's still in effect even though it's completely unconstitutional.

There is a whole section about residential schools and how badly it affected indigenous children and their family, ment
Isabelle Duchaine
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Should be a must-read for Canadians - especially those in public policy, education, social work or medicine. IDeally every Canadian would read this. It's very accessible, matter of fact, and a quick read. Opens up the history of colonialism and cultural genocide.
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Everyone should read this. It’s accessible, concise, devastating and a fantastic resource. I will definitely be using this in my classroom.
Daniel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought the residential schools were bad with their cultural genocide. But I didn’t quite appreciate that they were part of an overall strategy to assimilate and get rid of the Indian problem that was and is implemented by the Indian act.

It outlaws any cultural celebrations and aims to eliminate all natives languages. Controls any movement in out of the reserve through approvals by Indian agents. Makes it criminal to give or pool money for “Indian” legal representations. Outlaws any political
chantel nouseforaname
Sometimes you forget just how insanely corrupt and like America, Canada is. The Canadian government puts on this face like it hasn't committed the sort of atrocities the US, Germany and various other countries have committed against their people; when they have. It completely levels the "moral high ground" image that the Canadian government seeks to represent; that most people of colour know is bullshit. This book is a reminder to take action - with a lot of suggestions on how to take action tow ...more
Elizabeth
Going into this, I knew an okay amount about the harm the Canadian government (and many other groups in Canada) have done to indigenous people. What I didn't understand is the deeply rooted legislation that caused, allowed, encouraged many of the horrible things that have been done (both by the government and by others). I didn't have a proper understanding of the Indian Act beyond the very basics, and I came away from this feeling like I understand it much better.

Bob Joseph is clear and concise
Ian Ridewood
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great introduction (with appropriately approachable language and argument) to the Indian Act and to Indigenous rights in Canada. You will want to read further afterwards, since there's no space to elaborate here.
❀ Susan G
21 Things You May Not Know about the Indian Act is a starting point to do better. It is a call of action reminding the government of Truth and Reconciliation recommendation and for individuals to have a greater understanding of Canadian history.

Working in health care, I have been part of the action for cultural competency which is education that replaces the stereotypes and lack of true history which was taught while I was in public school.

After reading this, it is hard to believe the terrible
Steven Hepburn
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Someone else commented that this book "should be mandatory reading for every Canadian."

I totally agree. This book is so accessible and highlights many aspects of the Indian Act that would surprise any reader. I really appreciate how the author confronted many of the contemporary biases held by white settlers by weaving them into the narrative of issues worsened by iterations of the Indian Act.

Read this book. Learn from it. Change the way you see the relationship between "Canada" and the indigen
Maxine
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a settler in Canada, I thought that I knew a fair bit about the Indian Act, the history, and how it relates to Indigenous People's reality; reading this book proved me wrong. This is a short but very important book and it should be taught in Canadian schools. Until we settlers accept our own complicity both active and passive for the wrongs imposed on Indigenous People, Reconciliation can never be achieved.
Christine (TheOtherChristineThatReads) McMillan
Add it to my list of books EVERY Canadian should read.
Maailah Blackwood
Very impactful — should be mandatory reading for all Canadians as we work towards reconciliation.
Justine
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good book which covers a lot of the basics. Gives you a good place to start and what else to look into.
Linda
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book puts into perspective just how much work we still have to do in regards to reconciliation. Very well explained and easy to read. Absolutely heartbreaking. Everyone needs to read this book. Please read this book.
Rebecca
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all Canadians
Taryn
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bipoc-authors
Essential reading for Canadians.
Melissa
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Echoing many other reviews I’ve seen, I believe every Canadian should read or be taught the content covered in this book.
Kathleen Lalor
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I find nonfiction hard a lot of the time, but this was pretty easy to grasp and I think I learned a lot. I definitely recommend, it gave me a whole new (albeit beginner as I haven’t done much work learning in this field) understanding of the shit that Canada has put Indigenous Canadians through. I still have a lot to learn, but this was a good place to start for me.
Emily
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible - I cannot believe the sheer number of things I didn't know about the Indian Act (the biggest being that it is still in effect - with amendments). I am an English teacher, and I can definitely see myself using this book to show students the importance of studying First Nations, Metis, and Inuit texts and history.

Some of the legal jargon was a little hard to follow, but the author did an excellent job of explaining what everything meant, and the ramifications of the lang
Little Strawberry Muffin
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably good read.
Cathy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! I hope it’s part of the high school curriculum. CBC have just posted an interview with Bob Joseph. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thenextchapt... ...more
Megan
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
At times a bit dry, but a very important read.

• The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • All Our Relations: Finding the Path Forward
  • Five Little Indians
  • Peace and Good Order: The Case for Indigenous Justice in Canada
  • Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
  • Indians on Vacation
  • Son of a Trickster (Trickster, #1)
  • From Where I Stand
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • Unsettling Canada: A National Wake-Up Call
  • Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada
  • Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law