Start by marking “The Green Man's Heir” as Want to Read:
The Green Man's Heir

The Green Man's Heir

(Green Man #1)

A hundred years ago, a man with a secret could travel a few hundred miles and give himself a new name and life story. No one would be any the wiser, as long as he didn’t give anyone a reason to start asking questions. These days, that’s not so easy, with everyone on social media, and CCTV on every street corner. So Daniel Mackmain keeps his head down and keeps himself to h ...more
ebook
Published March 2018 by Wizard's Tower Press

To ask other readers questions about The Green Man's Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Man's Heir

K.J. Charles
So far up my street it could be my house. An English-set contemporary fantasy (rural, as opposed to urban) in which a dryad's son encounters all sorts of creatures from myth including a wodewose (massively creepy) and a proper Lambton type wyrm. Gorgeous feel, very readable, and fantastic use of myth in a grimy modern setting. The plot kind of falls into two halves which I wished had been a bit more integrated in the book, but which definitely sets up a sense of a serial and adventures to come s ...more
retro
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Potentially interesting fantasy elements and decent world building let down by a weak plot that concludes about halfway through the novel and then continues with a new, stronger villain and a new, feistier sidekick.

The protagonist is a perfectly ordinary guy who's irresistible to women and, as the story progresses, becomes something of an action movie hero, wielding weapons, doing lots of running, getting injured (but healing fast, don't worry) and defeating monsters at every turn. Being in his
Helen
3.5 stars.

I really liked the folkloric aspects of this, the tale of Daniel, the dryad's son. There are references to the Green Man, Boggarts, Black Shuck and all manner of other folkish beasties. The writing is decent but sometimes drifted too far into the mundane for me. There is a 'cosy' feel about Mckenna's style, though. The depiction of the English rural North was spot-on, I felt very at home. The story felt kind of segmented for me, like Daniel had a 'main quest' and had to deal with 'side
kari
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining read showing a glimpse of English folklore and a narrative voice that took me a while to get used to - but eventually I enjoyed Dan's POV. However, I prefer my crime mysteries, supernatural or not, to drop hints along the way so that I can attempt to piece the puzzle on my own - sudden reveals and unforeshadowed plot twists are not fun.
Alan Denham
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very well-written book, which shows the author's writing talent, and also demonstrates the thoroughness of her research and her understanding of the ways of Old England - and the monsters in English folklore.
But first - her knowledge of the old craft skills, once becoming rare, but now showing some resurgence. Our protagonist (and narrator - this book is written in 'first person') is a woody - he does basic carpentry on building sites, he does rather better quality carpentry for count
S.J. Higbee
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And she has absolutely nailed it. This is a complete and utter joy. I loved the character of Daniel, part-dryad, who is desperate to meet up with others in his situation and when he finally tracks down someone who can help – it doesn’t end well… He is a sympathetic protagonist with a few chips on his shoulder – not surprising given his heritage and how it has caused him problems. He is tall, well-built and innately attracts women. While that might sound like dream attributes, in reality it has c ...more
Carro
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daniel, the main character, is a dryad's son, which gives him very robust health, strong physique, a long life and the ability to see supernatural creatures for what they are - but nothing else. He doesn't have any magical powers. He works as a wood carver and carpenter and makes a reasonable living. The book opens with him on his way home from working on a barn conversion to the nice flat he is renting at a farm and holiday cottage complex. He stops for a walk in a woodland and finds he's walke ...more
Jan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fantasy. It takes place in Great Britain and has boggarts, dryads and other fantasy creatures, but not ones that I've found in many other books. I enjoyed reading about these fantasy creatures. The main character--Daniel Mackmain--is human, but is a dryad's son which means he can see the creatures other people think are just myth.

I thought the author did a great job with her world building and telling a good story set in that world. This was the first book I've read by Ms.
Steve Kimmins
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
One of the trickier reviews I’ll write here. I was pleased to have read this book but I did have problems with it.

What did I enjoy? I liked a fantasy with a basis in English Folklore. Dryads, the Green Man, Boggerts, action centred on ancient woodlands. It was interesting to base this in a contemporary English setting. The action in towns were in recognisable market towns, rather quiet but perhaps a bit rowdy of a weekend evening, and social life centred in pubs. It’s a good attempt to integrate
Astrid
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm really torn.

What I liked:

- the fantasy elements... how clever to take old lore and myths and put them into todays world
- the world building... even though it wasn't extensive, it made sense

What I didn't like:

- I had not emotional connection whatever to the protagonist
- the ending felt extremely rushed and I felt like two novellas had been thrown into one book

All in all I enjoyed the read and would read another book by this author.
Sas astro
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I noticed my favourite author, Charles de Lint, was reading this so thought I would treat myself to a copy. I wasn't disappointed. Why have I never read any Juliet E. McKenna's books before now? This is a really engaging story, it's proper Urban fantasy based on folklore, not a vampire or werewolf in sight. This is an instant favourite, I shall be searching out more of Juliet's books.
Steven Poore
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fae, magic, fantasy, dragons
Juliet McKenna delivers an excellent slice of urban - or, semi-rural - fantasy in this first adventure for modern-day craftsman Daniel Mackmain. Closely linked to the fae world by birth, Daniel finds himself enmeshed in a murder mystery with clues that only he can make sense of, all the while attempting to stay out of the glare of official suspicion. And there's not just one plot to unravel but two - with the solving of the first the second, more subtle, more dangerous, mystery comes into play, ...more
Martin Owton
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable book. Well-characterised and paced with a deep understanding of English folklore. The story is told through the point of view of Dan, a dryad-human halfblood, who is nicely developed and totally believable. The existence of dryads and other creatures of legend in modern society seems equally believable. Highly recommended.
Emily
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this mythical/fantasy book set in England, and centering around Daniel, a dryad's son. The author writes well, and has clearly done a lot of research into old myths and folklore of Britain, and she translates that into an exciting novel somewhere between a murder mystery and a folklore legend.

Daughters of a dryad and a human male become dryads also; but sons remain mortal, though they have some of the dryad blood and are a bit stronger, faster, taller, and better healing than nor
Ruth Dryden
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Good mix of characters and mythology.
The main characters were believable and interesting and the storyline held my interest.
Hope there are more books in this series!
Susan
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal Book!

I picked this up after reading a recommendation from one of my favourite fantasy authors, Charles de Lint. I figured if he loved it, it had to be good. It wasn't quite what I thought I expected but it was a truly phenomenal read.
Sally S
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an awesome book this was! The premise was so original, the characters were engaging and the plot rattled along so well that I didn't want to put it down. I'm just disappointed it's not the start of a series, I need more!
Robert Berg
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

It’s a engrossing and unusual story, loved the characters and folklore ! I sure hope the Author continues the series!
S. Naomi Scott
For Daniel Mackmain, life has always been a little bit complicated, what with his mum being a dryad, but things start to get really interesting when he inadvertently wanders into a murder scene during a late night ramble. And that’s just the start of his troubles.

After convincing the police he’s not the guilty party Daniel soon finds himself getting drafted by the local dryad to stop the bad guy from killing again. Guided by dreams of the Green Man, Daniel is soon stumbling head first into a muc
Debbie Turk
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Wonderful Glimpse Into English Folklore!!🙏🍁

Dan is a Wildwood, the son of a human & a Dryad. He's the only one of his kind he knows of but yearns to find others like him to talk to. He's a carpenter by trade & travels the Country for work but also looking for other Dryad's or Wildwoods. Like his mother, he feels a natural affinity for trees & nature.

His first encounter with a new Dryad is under unfortunate circumstances. He's walking in woods near his home when he's stopped by the c
Nina
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dryads, English folklore, creatures both dangerous and benevolent, and all that in a modern setting - this is right up my alley! I really enjoyed the book and the manifolded characters, especially that dryads, naiads, shucks etc are not simply categorised as good or bad, but personalities that can be both, someone who can help you but also just as easily destroy you.

The only thing bothering me was the structure. From the start, the book seemed to build up to one climax - the fight against the wo
Deborah Replogle
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm always a fan of Green Man stories, and this was wonderful. Read it pretty much all in one day.
Nighteye
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dryad, english folklore, contemporary setting, murder victims and a for the most people hidden world of magical creatures. Well written book and cool setting and story. Canät help feeling that our main at times seams very stupid in the actions.
Rachael
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don’t understand how a book so full of all the things I like could be so boring.
N.W. Moors
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Mackmain is a woodworker and carpenter, currently working in Derbyshire. He's also a greenblood because his mother is a dryad. This gives him some special powers such as the ability to see other supernatural creatures such as dryads, naiads, wose, boggerts, and shucks among others. When he becomes embroiled in the murder of a young runaway, Daniel finds he is has been brought to Derbyshire for a reason by the Green Man.
If you are at all interested in English folklore, you will love this b
Joanne Hall
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-fantasy
A new book (in this case the potential opener to a new series) by Juliet McKenna is always a welcome prospect. Juliet is one of the UK's finest fantasy writers and why her work isn't lauded alongside that of, say, Robin Hobb, is a constant mystery to me.

The Green Man's Heir is a contemporary fantasy set in and around England's Peak District, and the titular heir, Daniel Mackmain, is making his living as a builder and wood-carver, and trying to find his way in a world in which he feels slightly i
Hilary Tesh
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Dryads, naiads, the green man and a selection of rather nastier mythical beasts from English folklore, along with the narrator, a dryad’s son, should have made this “rural fantasy”* book a fascinating read.

I certainly liked the concepts of greenwood blood allowing Dan (and later in the book, Eleanor) to see the magical things hidden to others and of the Green Man communicating with them through dreams yet being also a real presence.

Unfortunately the book was spoilt by being divided into two hal
Michele
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A very engaging tale with some fascinating characters.
Stuart McMillan
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to start by letting you know that this is the first one of Juliet McKenna's books that I have read, so I had no pre-conceptions on style. To be honest, it popped up in my Kindle's 'suggested' reads section and, in a moment of weakness, perhaps remembering the impact that Robert Holdstock's 'Mythago Wood' had on me many (many many) years ago, I hit the buy button.

On the whole, I'm pleased I did.

McKenna's lead character, Dan, is the son of a mortal man and a wood spirit, a Dryad. As a young
Paula
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Anyone who's read my reviews for a while will know that I'm not a massive fan of first person but this book was recommended to me and it was on sale, so I went for it anyway. I'd also got bored with urban fantasy, which isn't quite a label for this story (since it's set in the countryside) but there isn't a rural fantasy tag so we'll make do...

The Green Man's Heir is set in the present day, except that the creatures of British folklore are real and some people can see them, usually if they have
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Hyena and the Hawk (Echoes of the Fall, #3)
  • Legends and Liars (The Duelists Trilogy #2)
  • Dragon & Issola (Vlad Taltos, #8-9)
  • The Twyning
  • Theatre of Curious Acts
  • Fire Caste (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Thunder and Steel
  • Throne of Darkness (Something Red, #3)
  • Polynia
  • Doctor Who: The City of the Dead
  • The Gravity Engine
  • The Broken Kings (The Merlin Codex, Book 3)
  • The Chickens of Atlantis and Other Foul and Filthy Fiends
  • Geralt di Rivia
  • From Dark Places
  • The Dark Foundations (The Lamb Among the Stars, #3)
  • The Road to Camlann. The Death of King Arthur
  • Christmas in Atlantis (Poseidon's Warriors, #0.2)
Juliet E McKenna is a British fantasy author living in the Cotswolds, UK. Loving history, myth and other worlds since she first learned to read, she has written fifteen epic fantasy novels, from The Thief’s Gamble which began The Tales of Einarinn in 1999, to Defiant Peaks concluding The Hadrumal Crisis trilogy.

Her new novel (August 2019) is her second modern fantasy rooted in the ancient myths a

Green Man (3 books)
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • The Green Man's Foe (Green Man 2)