Start by marking “The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)

The Storm Crow

(The ​Storm Crow #1)

In the tropical kingdom of Rhodaire, magical, elemental Crows are part of every aspect of life...until the Illucian empire invades, destroying everything.

That terrible night has thrown Princess Anthia into a deep depression. Her sister Caliza is busy running the kingdom after their mother's death, but all Thia can do is think of all she has lost.

But when Caliza is forced t
Published July 9th 2019 by SourcebooksFire

To ask other readers questions about The Storm Crow, please sign up.
Emilie Trigger warnings are literally just a way of letting people know what kind of stuff is in the book, so that they know if they want to read it or not.…moreTrigger warnings are literally just a way of letting people know what kind of stuff is in the book, so that they know if they want to read it or not. It's not 'sheltering'; people can still read the book knowing what it has in it, imagine that! Next thing you'll be saying that describing the premise is wrong, or listing the genre, or the page count. It's all just more information to help people decide whether they want to read the book or not. Don't you like to know whether a book is a romantic lighthearted read or a dark story about war before you read it? Most people do, so that they can pick up the book they're in the mood for!(less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Six of Crows really did ruin me for all other books. I just saw the word “crow” and thought, “no idea what this is about but I’m definitely in”
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
The Storm Crow is officially a new all time favorite read. Consider me obsessed x10000.

Quick note, because I get asked this a lot- yes there is a sequel coming ;) - and I'm lucky enough to have read an early version and omgggggg it's so good. So for those of you who get to the end and need more... rest easy! There will be more.
(view spoiler)

I don’t want to give away too much, as usual in my reviews, but basically we have Anthia, a cro
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
December Fairyloot! Clink on link below the picture to see the goodies.

THE GOODIES

I LOVE THIS COVER!!!!!!

This book was amaze balls!! Welp, looks like another ARC I will be preordering the hardback!

I’m going to add a few spoilers so Don’t read after the gifs unless you want a bit of spoilery

The shit hits the fan maybe a page out of the gate! Thia is having a good time out joyriding on one of the elemental crows; she was still waiting to get one of her own.

Thia is out with her friend, Kiva, who
Tucker

Here are the top five reasons you (Yes, you!) should read the storm crow.
1. Just look at that cover. Even if you never read it, you need this book on your shelf. It is gorgeous and will be a great edition to your bookshelf.
2. The writing will satisfy every reader. If your a reader who needs fast paced writing with lots of action, The Storm Crow is for you. If you love amazing images painted with words, The Storm Crow is your book.
3. The story. I won't go into it because I don't want to spoil bu
Azrah
In the Kingdom of Rhodaire the people rely on magical giant crows with elemental powers to help them with everything from growing crops, producing weapons and controlling the weather. The crows are not slaves but are revered. They work together with humans and are a part of their way of life.

This book starts out with Rhodaire being invaded by another Kingdom, Illucia. The crows are killed, several people close to our main character Thia die, including her mother the Queen.

Rhodaire finds themse
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“People are their truest selves at their most desperate.”

🌟 Disclaimer: I received and E-ARC from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 I think this book was just another general YA book that did not blow my mind! I am sure some people will like it and some won’t and I will try to be objective as always.

🌟 When it comes to the writing style, it was not bad! I found it easy to read and kind of
Kalyn Josephson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi all! As we creep closer to the release date of THE STORM CROW and early copies start making their way into the world, I wanted to talk a little bit about the book, including some trigger warnings. I love this story deeply and I want to be sure anyone who picks it up is aware of what they’re reading.

- First, and most notably, this is a book about a girl living with depression. It’s about her struggles and her triumphs, and it’s about hope. As someone who struggles with depression, my hope is t
Jessica Bibi
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HEY

hey ( ° ʖ °)

You know what's better than crows?

ELEMENTAL crows.

I was lucky enough to read THE STORM CROW early and LEMME TELL YOU. It's bloody brilliant. Josephson has crafted such a rich and gorgeous world that is SO REAL, I honestly swear it's out there somewhere.

And the characters--hello, Ericen is my fav, I call dibs--are so loveable (yes, even the bad ones...especially the bad ones) and complex, that they had me rooting for them from the start.

One of my utmost treasured things about thi
Lola
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
For some people, what apparently drew them to this book are the crow element as well as the allusion to Six of Crows, which I have yet to finish. Feel free to hate me. But what made me excited to start this personally was the fact that mental illness is discussed, even though fantasy worlds prefer to focus on the action and magic more than the relationship one has with themselves, their own body - mental health. I think bringing something typically contemporary into a non-contemporary genre can ...more
Stephanie Gillespie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger and Content Warning:  Depression, Self-Harm,Violence,

I really LOVED this book! The Storm Crow is filled with the potential to be a great, captivating series. It’s gripping within the first chapter, the characters are all amazing and the magic is uniquely written. With a large variety of majestic crows that can control the elements they provide everything needed for it's country.  The crows gave me major  How to
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 stars

I can't believe this is a debut book!

I was in a book funk for two weeks. It never happened to me before but nothing tasted really exceptional. Nothing kept my attention.

I got this ARC of Storm Crow in a Fairyloot box (I confess that I ordered this box as I knew an ARC was included) and opened it without too high expectation but also I was curious.

The first sentences I nearly stopped because it happened in a universe that I did not get at first sight and as I said I had a hard time focu
Sydni
Edit 7/9/19 HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO THIS BEAUTY AS WELL!!

where do i even start i-

this book is going in my all time favorites i can’t comprehend what I just read.

what a FABULOUS way to start off 2019 glad this was the first read of the year wow

OKAY HERE WE GO

.・。.・✭・.・✫・・。.

The characters have got to be some of my all time favorites.

Kiva and Thias friendship was everything. Their banter. Their loyalty. THEIR BFF RELATIONSHIP WAS EVERYTHING I NEEDED.

Thia was a character I related to in small ways
Meghan
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

*4 Stars*

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this book! The Storm Crow is absolutely filled with the potential to be a great, captivating series. It’s gripping within the first chapter and the magic system is unique and fun. With a variety of majestic crows that can control the elements, and even bend light, they provide the foundation for a country’s way of life. How could you NOT get sucked into the story immediately?! The relationships between
Zainab
Jun 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'll read anything with the word 'crow' in it now that I've read Six Of Crows.
Also, you can't tell me that's not Inej on the cover.
Raquel Flockhart
“People are their truest selves at their most desperate.”

I did it. I finished it. I don’t know why I did this to myself, I should have DNF’d it at some point. But I can be a bit stubborn and I wanted to see if something good happened towards the end. Guess what? It didn’t.

The Storm Crow begins when Rhodaire, a magical kingdom with elemental crows, is attacked by Illucia, another kingdom. The queen and the crows are killed and the kingdom is left in ruins. That changes Princess Anthia life, wh

Jessy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Don't judge a book by its cover.

This cover is absolutely gorgeous. When I first saw it, I was already half in love with it, and I hadn't even read the synopsis. The word 'crow' immediately made me think of Six of Crows and the girl reminded me of Inej.

So yeah, I was ecstatic when this cover was revealed, and I still was when my brain registered that this is not another book in the Six of Crows series.

But The Storm Crow was just another generic YA fantasy that had me rolling my eyes and yawning f
Angelica
Apr 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
This is the second 'Crow' book being published this year. I have no idea what it's gonna be about, but you can bet I'm reading them. Thanks a lot Six of Crows. See what you've done to me!
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)

People, this was a really good book, and I hope you are all looking forwards to it in 2019! This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, and so I was so delighted to receive an arc of it in my December Fairyloot box (which was amazing). And this was such a great read which I would totally recommend, whether you want to start reading fantasy or whether you have been reading it for years - I think it could appeal to anyone. It is masterfully crafted in many ways, and is reminiscent
Vivianne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4,25 stars!

I really enjoyed reading The Storm Crow, it was gripping, funny, heartbreaking, fast paced and very well written. Furthermore it has awesome characters, a great villain, great LGBTQ+ representation and a fantastic mental illness rep (depression). I absolutely loved the original world and the elemental crows and am so excited what the next book will bring! Things I didn’t enjoy as much were the pacing, that was a bit too fast at times, and that the plot wasn’t as original
Trish C. Arrieche
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Top 5 reasons why "The Strom Crow" should be read:

1. Vivid imagery. From the first page, Josephson sets the foundation for this magical world and introduces us to the protagonist, Anthia, and you find yourself instantly part of her world.
2. The strong female friendship is fantastic... and their sharp tongues! (love the witty comebacks)
3. If you like action, Josephson gives it to us right from the beginning.
4. You will find yourself attached to a character, or two, or three. (I'm on four and on
Jessica
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THE STORM CROW blew me away. It’s one of those books that snatches your attention and won’t let you go until you’ve turned the final page. I was fortunate enough to read an early copy of this book, and I inhaled it.

Masterfully done. Gorgeously written. Soooooo much tension.

THE STORM CROW is a truly unique fantasy. The tropical kingdom of Rhodaire is home to magical Crows that are built into the society’s infrastructure. (Like the end of How to Train Your Dragon, but with super cool bird magic.
Alexandra Overy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book in one of its early drafts, and let me tell you: you guys are not ready for this amazingness. There's giant magical crows, beautiful writing, tortured princes, and lots of badass female characters. It has a wonderfully diverse cast full of interesting and flawed characters who you will just fall in love with, and I can't wait to read more from them in the sequel.
Not only that, but The Storm Crow does a really good job of depicting depression and looking at d
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
4.5/5 ⭐ || this was a buddy read with @annesbookishtravels

"Books are very underrated weapons"

This book was an amazing book. I had the chance of receiving an ARC from Fairyloot in their December box and I don't know what took me so long to read it. Anne and I both agreed: this book was a very pleasant surprise.

The concept was also very original. The kingdom of Rhodaire is dependent of magical crows who have elemental magic and are rideable by trained riders. There are Sun Crows, Storm Crows, Ea
Amélie Zhao
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book. I'm a sucker for classic YA fantasy, but Kalyn puts a whole different spin on that take. First off, the magical creatures in this book are giant, magic-wielding crows. How amazing even is that? There are not only different types of elemental Crows, but there are Crow Riders as well, and Kalyn begins the book with an entire nation that was brought to its knees with the destruction of these fantastic beasts.

And then we meet Ana, the brave, stubborn, yet determined princess wh
Kat
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
THE STORM CROW is a fantastic debut fantasy, with amazing characters and an incredibly lush, immersive world. It’s not often that I’m able to sink so full into a setting, but what Josephson does with Rhodaire is truly amazing. And that’s not even touching the Crows! Honestly, I’m still waiting on my Shadowcrow…

But what really makes the book near and dear to my heart is the wonderful depression rep in this book. Josephson handles it with such grace and care, and to see it so deftly handled—in a k
Raquel Baggins
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
«You were always meant to rule the sky»

The premise of this book was so cool I got really excited when I received the ARC in December’s Fairyloot! Two friends and I even happily planned our first buddy-reading of the year to be this novel… but I was led to disappointment.

Being honest, at first it was entertaining and I liked some puns and witty dialogues between some of the characters; and I also appreciated racial and sexual diversity, as well as the depiction of depression, but there were too
Samantha Hastings
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE STORM CROW dives right into the action with the destruction of the royal crows by a neighboring kingdom. Princess Thia is devastated. Her sister, now the queen, insists she marries the prince of that kingdom to avert war. Thia is determined to find another way to save her kingdom...

What I loved:🖤🖤🖤
1. Loads of verbal sparring
2. An original fantasy world, including the magic of the crows
3. Simmering romance
4. Loyal female friendships
5. Unexpected twists leading to a surprising conclusion

Th
Jennifer Gruenke
Damn 2019, coming in STRONG.

I enjoyed this so so much. Fierce princesses, sassy princes, amazing magic (ELEMENTAL. CROWS. LIKE WHAT? SO COOL IS WHAT). What more could you want, really? Banter? Because there’s plenty of that too.

If it’s not at the top of your anticipated reads, what are you even doing? Add it now, read it in July, make all the fan art so I can stare at it forever and forever. K thanks.
Scrill
Feb 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Right when you start getting over the elemental scene....

AND THEN YOU'RE INTEREST IS PIQUED AGAIN!
Mary S. R.
So:

There's Crow in it!! There's a damn Crow in the title!
Did you hear that? Do I need to repeat myself?
*clears throat*
*climbs a twenty-story high building*
*circle mouth with both hands*
*SHOUTS*
It's about CROWS! (just for good measure 😁)

Also ... did I hear Eragon??? Surely not!
*rechecks synopsis*
YES OH MY GOD IT'S COMPARED TO ERAGON AND THERE'S AN EGG HATCHING and that's me bought...

OK, just to be fair: THE COVER! WHAT! HOW! I NEED THAT!

That's it; it's already signed up for book two even before
Fairyloot Jackson...: The Storm Crow 1 10 May 05, 2019 03:00PM

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Midnight Lie
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
  • We are Blood and Thunder
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
Kalyn Josephson is a Technical Writer in Silicon Valley, which leaves room for too many bad puns about technically being a writer. She grew up in San Luis Obispo, CA, but now lives in the Bay Area with four awesome friends (because it’s the Bay and she’d like to be able to retire one day) and two black cats (who are more like a tiny dragon and an even tinier owl). When not writing YA Fantasy, she ...more

The ​Storm Crow (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Storm Crow, #2)