Start by marking “Nachtstürm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel” as Want to Read:
Nachtstürm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel

Nachtstürm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel

Moonlight! Castles! Ghosts! Storms! Secret trap doors! Suicide! Grave yards! Mistaken Identities! Carriage accidents! Gypsies! Hauntings! A kidnapping! Purloined letters! A duel! Swooning! Wild Pursuits! Demonic possession! A disputed inheritance! Three romances! A ransacking! Ancient curses! A stolen will and testament! Dank subterranean passageways!

Multi-talented Emily C
Published 2017 (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nachtstürm Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nachtstürm Castle

Start your review of Nachtstürm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Gather your wits about you, dear readers, and be on the lookout for secret passageways, ghostly apparitions, mysterious pieces of furniture, and all things Gothic!

While traveling through France, on their tour of “Mrs. Radcliffe's country,” Reverend Henry Tilney and his new bride accept an invitation to stay in Nachtstürm Castle, located near the Austrian Alps. Upon arrival, they find Nachtstürm Castle to be a dark and decrepit old castle that is run by queer and questionable servants and framed
Sophia
Northanger Abbey was a fun, laugh at itself story with an engaging young heroine and one of the most light-hearted and mischievous, but sensible heroes ever written. Not many retellings, variations, and sequels have been written about it so when I do come across one, I am eager to read it. This was a fun sequel that unapologetically admits to the reader that it plans to laugh at itself and invites the reader to join right in.

Henry and Catherine Tilney have settled into their young marriage and
Debbie
I give up. I made it to 64% and I'm not going any further. And what REALLY bothers me is I'm not certain I can identify why it just doesn't hold my interest. I pick it up, read a page or two, find my mind wandering and not really following the story, so I move on to something else. I've been doing that for about a month, and I'm not even 2/3rds of the way through.

Both Catherine and Henry seem about the way I would expect them to be after they marry. There are spooky coincidences and components t
Sheila Majczan

Interesting.

The Reverent Henry Tilney decides to finally take his bride, Catherine nee: Moreland, on a bridal trip/"honeymoon" while she is certain, (as he does often tease her about her love of Gothic novels), that he has arranged a journey into the pages of Udolpho.

As events, planned or happenstance, occur Catherine does at one point think that it would have taken a huge amount of planning and resources to have so many mysterious and dark events and strange, even off-setting, charac
Eva Kenieva
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
This sequel does a delightful job of continuing Northanger Abbey. Henry Tilney is the same droll charmer we loved in the original, and watching him and Catherine tease each other and banter is adorable. And they're so in love!

The story is suitably twisty and turny, playing with Gothic conventions.

Snyder's exposition is also wonderfully witty in the spirit of Austen. "[I]n her fancy, Henry’s many–caped greatcoat swirled in a graceful drape away from his body, whereas in reality, the wind blew aga
Ahnya
This book takes place approximately a year after Northanger Abbey. Henry convinces Catherine to finally take a honeymoon, and visit the country of the astounding Mrs. Radcliffe. At first they stop in Paris, and while at the opera they meet a couple who offers to let them stay at their castle in the Alps. The thought of a castle in the Alps is just gothic and intriguing enough to entice Catherine (Henry had arranged it before-hand, so he didn't need any enticing). From there the mystery, and adv ...more
writer...
Audio listening to this creative satire of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey .
IndieJane
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nachtstürm Castle by Emily C. A. Snyder is a book one should read in the middle of winter, curled up in front of a roaring fire—preferably with one’s favorite hot drink close at hand. I however read it in the middle of summer, out on the patio at work, with a large bottle of cold water close at hand. Whenever and wherever read, this Gothic sequel to Northanger Abbey is a delightful novella.

Our tale begins approximately a year after Henry and Catherine’s wedding. Henry suggests they take an Ann R
Charlene
I think this is a very quaint nice fun read. Northanger Abbey was an ok read in my opinion, but a very fast and fun read. This novel is done very much like Jane's. The author talks to the reader at varies times and is witty with her remarks. I loved how she depicted both Henry and Catherine Tilney. Very true to the originals. This is a mystery which begins in England with Henry wanting to take Catherine on the Honeymoon they never had. He wants to take her to the continent to a "Radcliffe type C ...more
Laura McDonald
I've never read an Austen sequel before, and I have to say I loved this one. It was light and entertaining, yet also suspenseful--Ann Radcliffe would be proud. Emily Snyder definitely got the right tone and characterization for Austen's creations, Catherine and Henry Tilney. Northanger Abby is one of my favorites, so it was quite nice to see these two characters alive and well again (well, for the most part…).
Tedi
"A rollicking good time!"

I personally loved this book- I feel like the author was smiling as she wrote it. There were parts that had me giggling. One of the big things that kept me giggling was Catherine (of course!) and her thinking that Henry has arranged this whole affair for her amusement. And because she thinks that, she just enters the secret passageway and brings nothing for a light whatsoever! Anyway, the tone was similar to Jane Austen and the story highly amusing. I desperately want to
Kelly Zens
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is for the audio-book version.
I am a huge Jane Austen fan. I have read all of her books multiple times. Northanger Abbey has one of the best male characters that Austen writes. This book is a perfect sequel to Northanger Abbey. It is written in the same style with similar humor and remains faithful to the characters. Allow me to give you some quotes to illustrate, "Alas, if an author is allowed two alases in a chapter"; "This is the shortest chapter containing only 144 words"; The tongue-i
I was gifted this book in audio format in order to write an honest review.

I DNF'd it. The book started off strong, it was a bit slow but once i got into it- the story was engaging. (it is a bit over 5 hours long in audio) with about 2 hours left something happened- i don't know what and then i was just confused. i tried to rewind, figure to what was going on but there were characters that i didn't remember hearing before and i was just totally lost. i had to stop.

i think if you are a huge austi
Jeffrey
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dop•pel•gäng•er [daw-puh l-geng-er] –noun A ghostly double or counterpart of a living person.

Catherine turned.
Had she caught a bit of moonlight in the room? For there before our heroine stood within the secret door one of HERSELVES, bedecked in the stiff panniered satins of a previous age. The figure beckoned, light glinting off and through her rings and all-too-familiar necklace. The sweet mouth opened perhaps for no stranger purpose than to draw breath, except that our heroine seemed to hear
Kristen
The description said a combination of gothic and Jane Austen - sounded like a no-brainer of something I would like. Unfortunately, this just wasn't as good as I hoped. I did not finish this.

The story was well-written, and the characters were likable, but even with the story having suspense, the tone and the feeling was flat for me. I was bored and the story just did not hold my attention.

I got as far as chapter 15 before I realized I just wasn't into this book, and gave up. Just not a good fit
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Treat for an Austen junkie

Author nails the Austen language and the Gothic melodrama styles, in a way that most would-be imitators would envy. And her own style is distinct and lovely too. If you love Northanger Abbey, you will gobble this up.
Susan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
In this Northanger Abbey sequel Catherine and Henry Tilney set off on a tour of Europe and visit Nachtsturm Castle where they have their own Gothic adventure. Or as Catherine believes a play set up by her loving husband.
An enjoyable read.
Becci
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I was very excited for this book but was disappointed by the character portrayal of Catherine, and the weird interlude that was misplaced and seemingly out of time.
Kate Dana
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a delight!

I have recently found my way to Jane Austen sequels and recently reread Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I fell in love with Henry Tilney and Catherine Moreland and I was curious if there were any sequels available. Northanger Abbey sequels are few and in-between it appears and Pride and Prejudice sequels seem to rule the day. When I found Emily Snyder’s sequel to Northanger Abbey it was much anticipation that I immediately purchased it and eagerly awaited its arrival on
Bettielee
I feel bad giving this 3 stars...but as I got so confused and had to start over again, I can't give it 4. Even though I thought Catherine and Henry delightfully portrayed, the story itself had a few problems. The action could get a little clunky and that whole "I loved my master but not his son" made no sense until very late in the book. If you read it, you will see what I mean. However, I felt a real sense of affection for this as I went along, I think the gothic nature of the story, the excell ...more
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen, ebook
I wanted to like this book—I really did. But, I never got drawn into the story and I thought it was kind of boring and ridiculous. I know the plot was meant to be a parody of the gothic novel, but I didn't think it was very funny. I loved The Mysteries of Udolpho and There Must Be Murder, but I didn't like this book. I thought Edric was way over-the-top and the Will/Lucia/Fortuna story didn't interest me at all. I also thought it was really unnecessary for Will to kiss Catherine, even if he did ...more
Yessenia
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austen lovers.
Ever since I finished reading Northanger Abbey I wanted a sequel story. When I found out about this book I was eager to get my hands on it. A Gothic sequel to Northanger Abbey YES PLEASE!!
It took me years to get a copy of it and now that I read through it, all I have to say is that -although extremely well written and witty it felt a bit low for me. I did like it unfortunately I can't say I loved it ( like I wish I had).

Yes there is romance. Yes there is ghost and other gothic themes that Nort
Nicol Legakis
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful little novella! I was quite surprised at the author's ability to channel Jane Austen's wit in this continuing parody of a heroine too caught up in all things "gothic". Henry Tilney was quite as delightful in this sequel as he was in the original Northanger Abbey.

I would definitely recommend this if you are diverted by "the absurd"!
Amelia Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel to Northanger Abbey. I loved how it felt Gothic but still had that humor element that I loved in NA. I really want to read Ann Radcliffe now.
Leslie
Not great literature, but an entertaining sequel to Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey in a similar mock-gothic vein.
Gaja
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun enough read, rather tongue in cheek and self referential, which could well be in keeping with the 'prequel', as I haven't read it.
So what IS Edric anyway? 2 3 Oct 25, 2011 02:53PM
Q&A with Emily C....: Nachtsturm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel 1 3 Aug 09, 2011 02:07AM
Different Catherines, Different Henrys 1 2 Aug 09, 2011 01:18AM

• Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Patience & Sarah
  • Alien: Echo
  • Kingdom of Needle and Bone
  • Little Free Library
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Writing the Other
  • Shirley
  • Behind Jane Austen's Door
  • The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2)
  • Messengers of Deception: UFO Contacts and Cults
  • Secret Cipher of the Ufonauts
  • The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • Final Girls
  • Magic for the Resistance: Rituals and Spells for Change
Emily C. A. Snyder has been inventing stories since she was old enough to babble, and writing them down since she was old enough to dictate. A prolific writer, Snyder is the author of The Twelve Kingdoms series from Arx Publishing, LLC, as well as several Austenesque novels, including Nachtsturm Castle: A Gothic Austen Satire.

The premiere international scholar on writing new verse drama, she is th