Start by marking “The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being” as Want to Read:

There is no doubt about it. Toddlers can be tricky. On one hand they can be lovely. On the other hand they can be really hard work. They'll make you laugh. And they will probably bring you to tears. Or at least a high level of frustration.

I felt the same way when my children were small and I was struggling to get them to do things. I felt enormous empathy for them, but
Published January 2018 by Jacaranda Tree Publishing

Start your review of The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most parenting books don't deserve 5 stars because I disagree with them in enough parts, or they're weak in vital areas. And while I might not subscribe 100% to Montessori methods, this book does an amazing job of relating to your toddler. (the illustrations are an additional bonus. They are so beautiful and eye-catching!)

Toddlerhood is a tough age. It's a struggle sometimes to get through each day (for both of us I think). But this book not only directs and instructs, but it also comes
Storme Reads A Lot
Awesome info. Easy to model and use in daily life. Though I dont plan on using full Montessori, I plan on utilizing a lot of these techniques. Audio book is easy to navigate and lets you choose what you want to listen to. Definitely will be useful in raising my tiny human. ...more
Toni
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was an extremely interesting read. The book follows Maria Montessoris principles of raising a free and responsible child by helping your toddler discover the world with all its wonders. The activities focus on practical aspects of daily life e.g. setting up the childs room to foster sensory development, coordination and sense of order. Well-designed and clear, the book will be appreciated by new parents seeking practical guidance into how to implement Montessori principles at home.
Highly
Andee Marley
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The easiest, most organized and understandable guide to raising thoughtful and inquizitive children I have come across.
Mary
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for daydreaming. While there are some Montessori nonsense (mostly about banishing nonsense), I love the idea of building competence in kids, partially because it frees up the adult humans. This book is especially effective. It gives practical how-to suggestions for everything from potty training to sleep to (and this is mostly what people think of) play and education (I like the idea of making younger children care for older ones to prevent sibling rivalry, and not immediately ...more
Lydia Bergen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has put a spring in my step. At times it is so idealistic it feels corny, but I needed that. Anyone can tell you about the agonies of raising 0-3 year olds but it takes a special voice to speak of the magic and joy of this season. The book has allowed me to take a step back and devise ways to guide my children into learning and independence.
Cathy LunaCat
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love learning more about children and toddlers. The Montessori concept is trendy nowadays and this book was really interesting. Indeed, I liked how it is explained from the first pages and I really like how practical this book is for parents and future parents. The author not only gives activities for learning, but also pratical examples at home for toddlers to be more and more independent.

The layout is well taken care of and it is easy to read. You can either read it from the start to the
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Came into this with just the cursory information of Montessori and perhaps a dash of skepticism that I would get much out of this, but it was phenomenal. Lots of practical advice to implement immediately with pre-school/toddlers. While I don't intend to transform our home into a Montessori school with trays of activities or get rid of picture books with fantasy elements (our son loves books about dragons), I got a lot out of how to speak to your child and things to keep in mind about his ...more
Rita
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Lots of great info. Easy to model and apply
Mckenna Clarke
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book. I had always felt nervous about the toddler stage of parenting because of all the negative you see and hear about toddlers, but this book has showed me a higher, better way to parent curious little ones. I feel more confident going into the next stage of parenthood, and I will definitely be returning to this book for guidance.
Caitlin Padanyi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a visually beautiful book! I borrowed it from the library but will very much consider buying a copy for our parenting reference library. So many practical ways to engage children in the home. I have written out pages of notes of things I want to implement after reading this book.
Ariel Jensen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
A great introduction to Montessori. Includes an overwhelming but wonderful amount of information, activity ideas, & motivational quotes.
Kristjan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended read for every parent - well written, easy to read. Full of insightful ideas, concrete examples and very clear guidance.
Katherine
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This is an excellent guide to doing a Montessori approach at home for toddlers. It might be a little overwhelming for someone totally new to Montessori because of how much information is covered, but I thought the tone overall was very kind and warm, much like Simone's blog (there is exactly one bit that I thought was a bit overstepping, which was a line that went something like, "I would not leave a child to cry it out [to fall asleep]" but all things considered, that's really not that bad).

Steph
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Theres lots of lovely ideas in this book and its beautifully presented. It crosses most areas of life with a toddler so for books specifically about parenting Id go for Dan Siegel or Adele Faber but I liked the sections about activities and how to set up the house in a toddler-friendly way, thinking about space from a toddler perspective.

I admit there were times I rolled my eyes, times I scoffed and thought youve clearly never met my kid coz that would never work for her and times where
Jill
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: montessori
Beautifully written (and illustrated/organized -- felt relaxing just to open the book because it was so carefully and intentionally made to be easily digestible) and very practical book. Helpful for anyone interested in applying Montessori principles at home with toddlers. This book really helped me to see the Montessori approach as a way of parenting (and living and being), rather than simply a collection of beautifully prepared activities.

Side note: I initially borrowed this book from the
Heath Salzman
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2020
I love the Montessori model, I think it is so helpful for changing the way we view and relate to our children. This book will be a great resource. The model is such a holistic philosophy that it will take a while to really learn it, so I will be revisiting this again.

I listened to the audiobook this time which obfuscated the structure, to a degree. I would get a physical copy to read next time to better follow along with the authors flow.
Jose Jimenez
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Montessori books. I recommend this to all families that have infants who will transition to toddlers soon, and those who currently have a toddler. This is definitely a keeper, and wil use a reference book, even after my children go past the toddler phase, as the leanings carry on through life.
Katie Rybakova
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I was wondering if a book existed that explored Montessori through a 21st century, practical lens...and here it is! I loved the illustrations and picture inspiration, the back of the book has some fantastic practical ideas to explore with a toddler at various ages, and the overall premise of the text was very caring and warm to me. There were parts that were holistic in nature as well that I really appreciated. Great text.
Kathryn
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so well organized! Its a nice reference book to just have on hand. Its a very simple overview and doesnt go super in depth, but for that purpose, it was great. ...more
Allison
Tons of helpful tips for parenting toddlers to the end of loving them well and guiding them toward living in the world. I need to get a copy to reference.
Erin
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved most of these ideas that I can incorporate at home! The book is visually beautiful and the concepts are easily understandable to those new to Montessori, like me! Took away some great parenting ideas for later.
Stacy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book. Lots of details in the back for ideas and how to incorporate. My youngest goes to Montessori school & I wanted to make our home environment similar to his school setting and to understand the concepts.
Amanda
Good Montessori book! Great at looking at all different aspects of this philosophy! Practical ideas alongside theory in easy bite size sections!
Callie Hornbuckle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice combo of gentle parenting techniques and practical advice/activities for toddlers up to age 3 or 4. I checked this out from the library, but may want this for my shelf at home for reference.
Ethan Demme
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent primer on how to integrate a Montessori approach in your home.
Tylee Britton
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Not sure about the method.
Anuradha Baliga
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Simone Davies podcast and webpage online from some time and her views have always appealed to me . She has a very practical and compassionate approach towards toddlers and using Montessori with them . When I found out she has written a book I quickly grabbed it and read through. It's breezy with all the details you will ever need to implement Montessori at home with your toddler.her book specifically deals with Age 0-3. She has covered how to engage the child with a ...more
Heather
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Are you already a follower of Montessori principles, or are you curious to find out what it's all about? In The Montessori Toddler, Simone Davies, a parent and Montessori teacher, gives background on the Montessori philosophies that you can apply at home. Even if you aren't ready to adopt the whole lifestyle and education, you'll find great information about toddlers and their development, as well as activity guides and resources to encourage creativity, cooperation, and responsibility. ...more
Robert Frecer
Cultish and dew-eyed or greatest idea ever? Ill find out in two years, and maybe come back to change my review.

Pleasant book with plenty of good ideas, but I am wary of any intimations of messianism, of which there were many.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Simple Happy Parenting: The Secret of Less for Calmer Parents and Happier Kids
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • Toddler Discipline for Every Age and Stage: Effective Strategies to Tame Tantrums, Overcome Challenges, and Help Your Child Grow
  • Oh Crap! I Have a Toddler: Tackling These Crazy Awesome Years—No Time-outs Needed
  • No Bad Kids: Toddler Discipline Without Shame
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • How to Raise a Reader
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • The Creative Family Manifesto: Encouraging Imagination and Nurturing Family Connections
  • There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom's Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids (from Friluftsliv to Hygge)
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Elevating Child Care: A Guide to Respectful Parenting
  • No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind

News & Interviews

“Who knew that parenting would become an almost spiritual journey? And what a journey it is. Sometimes I wish I had known all of this before I became a parent. Yet, we only know what we know. So I think of how I've grown up alongside my children - that they see me trying and geting it wrong and trying again ad getting a bit better, constantly learning and growing.” 0 likes
“Let the children be free; encourage them; let them run outside when it is raining; let them remove their shoes when they find a puddle of water; and, when the grass of the meadows is damp with dew, let them run on it and trample it with their bare feet; let them rest peacefully when a tree invites them to sleep beneath its shade; let them shout and laugh when the sun wakes them in the morning as it wakes every living creature that divides its day between waking and sleeping.” —Dr. Maria Montessori, The Discovery of the Child” 0 likes