Start by marking “The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being” as Want to Read:

There is no doubt about it. Toddlers can be tricky. On one hand they can be lovely. On the other hand they can be really hard work. They'll make you laugh. And they will probably bring you to tears. Or at least a high level of frustration.

I felt the same way when my children were small and I was struggling to get them to do things. I felt enormous empathy for them, but was
Published January 2018 by Jacaranda Tree Publishing

Start your review of The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most parenting books don't deserve 5 stars because I disagree with them in enough parts, or they're weak in vital areas. And while I might not subscribe 100% to Montessori methods, this book does an amazing job of relating to your toddler. (the illustrations are an additional bonus. They are so beautiful and eye-catching!)

Toddlerhood is a tough age. It's a struggle sometimes to get through each day (for both of us I think). But this book not only directs and instructs, but it also comes alongsi
Erika RS
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kindle
This book introduces Montessori principles and shows how to apply them in the home for toddlers. The overview was interesting, and the book had a number of good tips. However, it was repetitive. Chapters had repeated content. Even worse, within chapters the same content would be presented in the text as a list then in a sidebar as a list with nearly identical content. I also felt that only the first five chapters really had a Montessori focus. The rest of the book was fairly general parenting ad ...more
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Awesome info. Easy to model and use in daily life. Though I don’t plan on using full Montessori, I plan on utilizing a lot of these techniques. Audio book is easy to navigate and lets you choose what you want to listen to. Definitely will be useful in raising my tiny human.
Toni
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was an extremely interesting read. The book follows Maria Montessori’s principles of raising a free and responsible child by helping your toddler discover the world with all its wonders. The activities focus on practical aspects of daily life e.g. setting up the child’s room to foster sensory development, coordination and sense of order. Well-designed and clear, the book will be appreciated by new parents seeking practical guidance into how to implement Montessori principles at home.
Highly re
Andee Marley
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The easiest, most organized and understandable guide to raising thoughtful and inquizitive children I have come across.
Marrynka
I really loved this book and would recommend to anyone who is interested in this (or similar) type of parenting. I listened to an audiobook but decided to buy a paperback as well in order to be able to revisit the chapters when needed - book contains a lot of practical advice and step by step guidance on how to tackle a lot of situations and milestones with children.
Mary
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for daydreaming. While there are some Montessori nonsense (mostly about banishing nonsense), I love the idea of building competence in kids, partially because it frees up the adult humans. This book is especially effective. It gives practical how-to suggestions for everything from potty training to sleep to (and this is mostly what people think of) play and education (I like the idea of making younger children care for older ones to prevent sibling rivalry, and not immediately deman ...more
Rachael Marsceau
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nothing can take away initiative as fast as when we redo something that they did. - Jean K. Miller

Be fast when it makes sense to be fast, and be slow when slowness is called for. Seek to live at what musicians call the tempo giusto - the right speed. - Carl Honore
April
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, 2020
I don’t think I’m ever going to know when I’ve read this whole book, as I go through different parts of it all the time.

I really appreciate the Montessori mindset (and if we are being honest, the aesthetic). This book is exceedingly beautiful and practical. It has examples of what your child can be capable of at what age, examples of how to set up each room of your house for toddler success, example toys, example conversations or responses... it’s just so handy.

Since I know nothing about childr
Cathy LunaCat
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love learning more about children and toddlers. The Montessori concept is trendy nowadays and this book was really interesting. Indeed, I liked how it is explained from the first pages and I really like how practical this book is for parents and future parents. The author not only gives activities for learning, but also pratical examples at home for toddlers to be more and more independent.

The layout is well taken care of and it is easy to read. You can either read it from the start to the en
Lydia Bergen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has put a spring in my step. At times it is so idealistic it feels corny, but I needed that. Anyone can tell you about the agonies of raising 0-3 year olds but it takes a special voice to speak of the magic and joy of this season. The book has allowed me to take a step back and devise ways to guide my children into learning and independence.
Robert Frecer
Cultish and dew-eyed or greatest idea ever? I’ll find out in two years, and maybe come back to change my review.

Pleasant book with plenty of good ideas, but I am wary of any intimations of messianism, of which there were many.
Ariel Jensen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
A great introduction to Montessori. Includes an overwhelming but wonderful amount of information, activity ideas, & motivational quotes.
Branimir
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book on the Montessori methodology for any age. I picked it after careful review of multiple highly recommended "starting" books that combine ideology discussion + practical application examples and analysis. The book met my expectations, and I recommend it to anyone that searches for a read on the topic and shares the background I mentioned above. It may feel a bit too basic to existing practitioners or people who have read a few other books on the topic.

Montessori's primary ru
Reinis
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is tidy, fun, open and organized in an inviting way for us to just delve into - just like a Montessori home.
It describes the method, philospohy underneath, and - recognizing different cultures, financial means and backgrounds - just enough practical examples that any parent can try any applicable change in their environment to "help their child help themselves".
The Montessori method seems to combine some of the best stuff of the Waldorf approach and Tools of the Mind curriculum,
Amanda Chiu
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was pretty amazing. I generally go into parenting books with a bit of skepticism because I really think everyone just do what is best for your family. However this book is a fantastic guide with tonnes of information about the Montessori method that can be easily incorporated to whatever degree you choose in your home/life. Amazing resources, examples and step-by-step lists. It also goes beyond just learning activities to include conflict resolution, potty training, divorce, etc. Highly rec ...more
Agata
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Honestly everything I could expect from such book. It’s beautifully illustrated, full of examples of how to react and what to say as well as the explanation of all the ‘whys’. It’s not short but very informative.
Rita
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Lots of great info. Easy to model and apply
Abby Brown
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book! As a newbie to Montessori, I really benefited from how this book covered every topic from Maria Montessori's childhood philosophy to the prepared environment to recommended tray work. Davies has written a very encouraging and knowledgeable book about raising and educating children in a profoundly positive way. Definitely a must-read for those interested in the Montessori method! ...more
Sam Jobs
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was frustrated with my 2 year old toddler and this book helps a lot for practical ideas. Good activities suggestions for things to do at home!

I highly recommend this as the only Montessori book you will ever need. Others are nice but this book is outstanding and simplified.
Maria Cerase
May 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very helpful and reassuring book. Expectations sometimes though are a little too high.
Nicole Chinnici
The Montessori Toddler was my first foray into Montessori and, as such, it was interesting and well rounded. I appreciated how it explained Montessori methods while also including other child development teaching. Although it wound up feeling repetitive, I did get some useful tips and feel this was worth the read.
Mckenna Clarke
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book. I had always felt nervous about the toddler stage of parenting because of all the negative you see and hear about toddlers, but this book has showed me a higher, better way to parent curious little ones. I feel more confident going into the next stage of parenthood, and I will definitely be returning to this book for guidance.
Heather-Lin
Incredibly thought provoking and inspiring, even for a non parent. Many of these principles are kind, respectful direction for being a loving human with ourselves and others.

Many times I marveled at how applicable the advice is for our beloved fur babies. They have that same sense of innocence, curiosity and need for consistency to feel safe.

Stuff I learned:
~Emphasis on observation instead of analysis and judgement.
~Descriptive Feedback instead of generic praise. "Good girl/boy"exclamations can
gwayle
May 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, nonfic, babies
I learned two useful things from this book, which otherwise reads as a lifestyle blog with its trendy and shallow advice:

1. Watch for what your kid is drawn to and help him/her master the skill. My just over one-year-old started going to pieces around bubbles and gripe water, both of which he loved a second ago. I finally realized (with the help of this book) that he passionately wants to be the one to put the wand or the dropper into the bottle. So I set up a station filled with empty condition
Michael
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As we now are raising a toddler(!) and I enjoyed this fast and sensitive grounding in Montessori practices. My partner has already started to adopt some of the principles at home, and this book felt like a good overview to catch up, with references to more and deeper thinking where needed to address an individuals needs. I think the key takeaways for me personally are centered on respecting a toddler as already striving for independence, finding ways to enable problem solving even while so young ...more
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Came into this with just the cursory information of Montessori and perhaps a dash of skepticism that I would get much out of this, but it was phenomenal. Lots of practical advice to implement immediately with pre-school/toddlers. While I don't intend to transform our home into a Montessori school with trays of activities or get rid of picture books with fantasy elements (our son loves books about dragons), I got a lot out of how to speak to your child and things to keep in mind about his develop ...more
Megan Kulick
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We are the children's guide, planting the seeds but letting them grow. We are their rock in the background, helping only as much as is necessary but as little as possible."

One of the most interesting and helpful parenting books I've read. Whether or not you're interested in a Montessori education for your child, there's much to be gained from this book. This book includes very valuable information on handling big feelings of little people!
Caitlin Padanyi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a visually beautiful book! I borrowed it from the library but will very much consider buying a copy for our parenting reference library. So many practical ways to engage children in the home. I have written out pages of notes of things I want to implement after reading this book.
Kristjan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended read for every parent - well written, easy to read. Full of insightful ideas, concrete examples and very clear guidance.
I think this is really helpful! 1 1 Apr 16, 2021 01:04AM

• Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • No Bad Kids: Toddler Discipline Without Shame
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • The Creative Family Manifesto: Encouraging Imagination and Nurturing Family Connections
  • No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Niķu nav!
  • There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom's Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids (from Friluftsliv to Hygge)
  • Practical Guide to the Montessori Method at Home: With more than 100 activity ideas from 0 to 6
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
  • Batole: praktický průvodce spánkem a usínáním dětí od 1 roku do 3 let
  • The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

“We are kind to each other. This means that even if we disagree, we will not hurt each other physically or tease each other; it teaches children to respect themselves and each other.” 1 likes
“Who knew that parenting would become an almost spiritual journey? And what a journey it is. Sometimes I wish I had known all of this before I became a parent. Yet, we only know what we know. So I think of how I've grown up alongside my children - that they see me trying and geting it wrong and trying again ad getting a bit better, constantly learning and growing.” 1 likes