Start by marking “This Is What Inequality Looks Like” as Want to Read:
This Is What Inequality Looks Like

This Is What Inequality Looks Like

What is poverty? What is inequality? How are they connected? How are they reproduced? How might they be overcome? Why should we try?

This book—an ethnography of inequality—addresses these questions. Formed by a series of essays, they are written to be read individually, but have been arranged to be read as a totality and in sequence. Each aims to accomplish two things: fir
Paperback, First, 288 pages
Published January 2018 by Ethos Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is What Inequality Looks Like, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is What Inequality Looks Like

EL
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was a little hesitant to add this book to my "read" album here, because it would almost be a declaration of the responsibility i now have for the paradigm-shifting knowledge detailed in the book. But not doing so would be maintaining a blind eye to an issue that we collectively have the power to alleviate. And any Singaporean who still has a stake in this land, cannot and should not be blind. In the issue of inequality, it truly stands to benefit us and our next generations, to care about how ...more
Jill
This is a book about inequality in Singapore, based on 3 years' worth of ethnographic research by Teo. In it, Teo seeks to force deeper reflection about the narratives we tell ourselves about inequality and poverty in Singapore - that the story of Singapore is unequivocally one of progress from Third World to First; that while there is poverty (there is poverty everywhere after all), the poor here have it better than their counterparts elsewhere, with roofs over their heads, plenty of government ...more
Judith Huang
In lucid and often beautiful prose, Teo shines a light on low income people in Singapore. A work of elegance and bravery, it should be a must read for anyone who cares about Singapore, and dispels and questions the many myths we base our society on, particularly that the poor are undeserving or a leech on society. Read it!
Jiayu
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First up, thank you, thank you, thank you. We owe Teo You Yenn a huge thank you: there's been a fair bit of good writing, good producing and good discussion relating to inequality in Singapore (i.e. CNA's wonderful series "Don't Call Us Poor"; numerous articles, speeches on meritocracy and its discontents by various people from all walks of life - Donald Low, Bilahari Kausikan, etc etc.), but I think This Is What Inequality Looks Like is a piece that brings together these scattered conversations ...more
ashley c
This is a very, very important book, not just on inequality and poverty, but as a great tool to allow yourself to learn how to be more critical and observant of structural processes and how they interact to influence an individual's life and choices in ways we don't usually think about.

This is a good book for readers at most levels of understanding of social issues such as inequality. A good few points to take away from this book, which Prof Teo has very clearly broken down into digestible piec
Clara
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The lack of class privilege is about having to play by someone else's rules; the presence of class privilege is about being able to set standards.”

This Is What Inequality Looks Like is a collection of essays on inequality/social classes/poverty in Singapore. We seem to think that poverty isn't as prevalent in Singapore since most low-income persons could apply for rental flats. Hence, rendering them invisible to us.

The author challenged us to think about our privileges and what can be done to
Dilys
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book speaks to me on so many levels - as a woman (unmarried, and at an age that I probably should); a Sociology graduate; an average income earner; a worker in the social space. I thank the author for this thoughtful piece of work as it had put me on a journey of deep reflection, questioning, and meaningful reconnection with the Sociological perspective.

The author demands the book to be read sequentially, and it is of little wonder, as it starts powerfully with a call to ‘disrupt the narrat
Sharon Lam
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is either you understand the message or think that she is blaming the government. As someone working in the social service, this has been both real as well as enlightening. It reinforces the advocacy spirit that all social workers in Singapore should have.
Sean Goh
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Singaporeans
Shelves: politics, singlit
To declare that one has read this book, in the words of another reviewer, is to acknowledge that one can no longer turn a blind eye to the shortcomings of our longstanding narratives. It is daunting. It is also necessary.

____
Meritocracy in sociological literature is widely recognised as a system for sorting and then differentially rewarding people; it is a system for legitimising the process and outcomes of sorting, based on narrow notions of what is worth rewarding.
Meritocracy in Singapore work
Nicky Lim
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the commentary and am glad I picked up this book. Some insightful lessons i had are:

(1) Wake up! There is poverty and inequality! Our treatment of it should not be to reaffirm the low-income that they deserve it because our meritocratic society slotted them there. Even if we argue that we are super-duper meritocratic, this narrative reinforces the idea that those who are unworthy are truly unworthy. This is dangerous!

(2) Having children although you are poor and cannot support them is
Jericho Eames
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poor people really do exist in Singapore. I love how Prof Teo is able to unpack and show the real side of Singapore. Singapore has always been packaged as glitzy and glamourous, I mean we are that but we also do have those who fall through the cracks. I've always loved looking for the dirt underneath the glam, this book does just that and I even learnt things about my own country. I never noticed the differences until now. If you want to take the Red Pill and wake up, this is a good place to sta ...more
Dhevarajan
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It brings much needed focus on Singapore's inequality issues to a non academic audience. For far too long, the poor have been criticised as lazy and having poor attitudes without enough scrutiny of the systems we have in place that disadvantage and humiliate them. Hopefully this book will be a call to to look our attitudes towards tackling poverty and inequality in Singapore.
Donn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great title for a book. Immediately caught my attention and I thought I had to read it. Then I realised it was by a Singaporean author. And I changed my mind.

A week passed. Two. Four. Eight. Eventually, I purchased a copy because I was just damn intrigued. And having read it I wasn't disappointed - this book gave me a glimpse of a Singapore I just never quite thought about. From a middle-class family raised with middle-class friends and reading about middle-class sensibilities, Teo in
Wyncy
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Why am I inserting myself so much in what I write? This is not typical practice in academic writing. It is actually tremendously uncomfortable. I insert myself because as I get deeper and deeper into this research, I see that this is key to shifting our lenses for viewing inequality and poverty more fully”

This quote sums up the reason why I love this book. Inequality, privilege, poverty, class, race. These are topics not openly discussed in Singapore, conveniently swept under the rug of igno
SH Chong
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book I’ve read so far on Singapore - for someone interested in public policy and concerned about what we need to do to bring about greater human flourishing here.
Lifern Ang
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read that was both refreshing and disturbing at the same time. The fact that this book brought about some discomfort to a Singaporean who was only lucky enough to be born under conditions that allowed comfortable living (that is me) goes only to show the success of this book in shedding light about the realities of poverty and inequality in Singapore that many may be blinded towards. A good reminder to treat all with kindness, respect and dignity, & never be too quick to proudly say “ ...more
Horatio Ho
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not so much novel knowledge, but a good reminder and reflection of the differences between people in Singapore, and to always be aware of those in need, and not take our growth as a nation for granted. Just because I am a product of the Singapore system and have succeeded, it doesn't entitle me to anything. The notion that meritocracy is “fair” and the stigma that poor people don’t work hard is also wrong!

So much charity in the way she writes which is so refreshing and a much needed perspective
Isabella Ow
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection of essays has made me review my passiveness in being conscious and aware of communities I may not get to mingle with on a frequent basis, the lower income group in Singapore.

The book was down-to-earth in its concerns and easy to read. It's sociology alright, but written in a way that's precise in capturing author Teo You Yenn's observations and reflections. The analyses are drawn from anecdotes, which make them sound less academic.

I like how Teo ends the book by writing about how
Mavis Chan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: singapore
Illuminating analysis on inequality in Singapore. Through a series of essays, the author explores how structures, narratives, and culture have shaped our current reality. Definite must read for all Singaporeans, particularly those with class privilege. Written from a sociological lens, it was easy to read and absorb the numerous points that challenged our national and personal narratives. Importantly, the author gives a balanced view on who our low income citizens are, what they strive for, and ...more
Shu Jun Tay
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"To be young and middle class is to be able to delay autonomy, to hold off responsibility toward others, to be given the benefit of the doubt when one makes mistakes, to have time to learn, to live under parental protection until one is ready to fly. Youth from low-income families do not have the luxury of time to ride this stage out."

"We need that book because all our friends have it and have been talking endlessly about it. We have a wallet but it’s now old and a little embarrassing to bring o
Muneerah Razak
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is important - it highlighted, using simple language and story telling, the face of poverty and inequality in Singapore that is often hidden and ignored. It changed alot of my perspectives about national narratives such as meritocracy etc. The only issue I had was that I felt that alot more could be said about race, instead of merely looking at class and the system surrounding it.
Nonetheless, it is an important book for all to read.
Yihui
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
interesting interesting especially because i've been thinking that we don't really love our country as The Country (bc so abstract right) but rather we love a version of our country (as in, our immediate community that figures as Home) vs this book raising individualism (as in fighting for yourself/your family, act for yourself and never be dependent on others for help, and if you succeed you have deserved it by merit of your fight) as smth inherently bound up with the latent idea that people wh ...more
Sheng Yang Teo
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Glad to start 2019 with this book.

The author has shown us with her research with real life examples on many a time, we are not seeing the complete picture and jumped into conclusion. Also, how inequality and circumstances often play a part in shaping one's life. However, instead of Equality, we should aim for Equity.

Borrowing a quote from another novel, “Equality is treating everyone the same. But equity is taking differences into account, so everyone has a chance to succeed.”.
Dave
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A must-read. A nuanced look at income inequality and the struggle of the poor in Singapore.
Songhua
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you for the uncomfortable revelations. They were very thought-provoking. I liked the overall tone as well - empathetic and not overly angsty compared to some other activists. It was easy to read and digest.

Deducting 1 star: Most of the time I felt as though I was reading "This Is What Poverty Looks Like". I think inequality can be examined in more aspects, for e.g. how national policies/laws have varying impact on people of different nationalities, family types, sexual orientation, etc.
Aye
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book for every Singaporean. A good take on the situation from a sociologist's POV.
Justin
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An eye-opening must-read for all Singaporeans.
Jere
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this should be required reading. my favourite chapter is 'airing dirty laundry'.
Yuhan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skye
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An important perspective on inequality and poverty in Singapore that I highly recommend all Singaporeans to read.

After reading the book, if you felt disheartened like I did, read this from the chapter of ‘Now What’.

“First, we have to do what we can wherever we happen to be located: all acts are meaningful as long we take them. Second, what effect we ultimately have will we because we do not act alone.”

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How Economics Shapes Science
  • Who Governs Britain?
  • One Man's View of the World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“low-income parents find themselves having to do this immensely difficult thing: they have to tell hteir kids to listen to them and yet also send them the message “don’t be like me.” It is difficult to exercise authority under these conditions. To have one’s parenting practices be unintelligible, unacknowledged, deemed less worthy, is a profound form of attack on the self, especially when being a parent is a central part of one’s identity.” 1 likes
“They allow us to feel like we belong to the groups we care about, that we are rooted in, and that we need respect, acceptance and love from. As the title of (Allison) Pugh’s book suggests – we long for things because we long to belong.” 1 likes