Start by marking “A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)

A River of Royal Blood

(A River of Royal Blood #1)

An enthralling debut perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone set in a North African-inspired fantasy world where two sisters must fight to the death to win the crown.

Sixteen-year-old Eva is a princess, born with the magick of marrow and blood--a dark and terrible magick that hasn't been seen for generations in the vibrant but fractured country of Myre. Its
Published October 29th 2019 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about A River of Royal Blood, please sign up.
Nada There is absolutely nothing North African in this book (go figure what she means by that). I read a comment that it is more west african. I'm from NA…moreThere is absolutely nothing North African in this book (go figure what she means by that). I read a comment that it is more west african. I'm from NA and it sucks to be hyped then disappointed right after reading the blurb lmao(less)

Start your review of A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The November Fairyloot Arrived a bit late but there are some lovely things. Click on the GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK
Lucy Langford
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*** rounded up!

To become numb to violence was to forget to cherish life.

This had exquisite world building and I loved all of the elements of magick. I loved the inclusion of different tribes and magical folk, as well as learning of the different types of magick humans and other mortals and immortals possess. This had a strong female MC whose view point was fantastic to read from as we see her dealing with despising and cold family members, magick, a court that underestimates her and romance,
Natasha Ngan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sibling rivalry like nothing you’ve ever read before. Joy weaves a dark yet delicate treatise on race, heritage and power whilst never losing that addictive ‘just one more chapter’ allure. I devoured it one sitting!
Kogiopsis
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, so. I liked it, but... I needed it to be about twice as long.

For once I don't mean this in the simple 'I wanted more' sort of way, though I did/do. I mean that this book would have been much stronger had it been given more room to grow, and had the plot not been cut where it was for cliffhanger purposes.

See, here's the thing - this is a book fraught with emotionally complicated situations and revelations, and yet the action moves so quickly that those emotions never really get explored.
Fares
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
RTC
---------------------------------------------------
North African inspired?! Where have you been all my life?!
Please don't disappoint, imma cry my heart out if you do
Tahirah
I’m still so conflicted about this book.

I loved the world and the rich culture that just flew off the pages. I loved the the idea of sisters fighting for the crown. I loved that it was very much focused on women. I loved the different races of the characters and the different magical beings. I loved the depiction of Eva and her moms relationship, I related so freakin much. I loved the writing as well. It just flowed effortlessly. I will say that I LOVED Prince Aketo. The representation of this
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Ohhh I'm so excited to finish this gorgeous book. But for now, a photo!

Psst... come find me on Instagram at @reverieandink!
may ➹
me accidentally getting two ARCs of this in a period of two days: it’s called winning at life

A River of Royal Blood follows a princess named Eva, who must fight her sister Isa to the death in order to rule the Queendom of Myre. She’s the first person in a century who has had the magick of blood and marrow, and she must learn to control it in order to win the battle.

First of all, I absolutely adore the concept of rival sisters, because it allows for so many different themes to be tackled. And I
Angela Staudt
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review.

“Even if I had to become the wicked girl of my nightmares, a maelstrom of marrow and blood, I would do whatever it took to stay alive.”

I really enjoyed this book, which is about sibling rivalry and on their namesday, they have to challenge one another for the throne. The winner and soon to be queen is the sister who defeats the other and kills her. This was a very dark book, but had such a unique fantasy that it kept me on the
Aaryn Flott
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love love love!!! The world building was sooooooo intricate! A tad predictable but fun none the less! RTC
Emily A. Duncan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AN UTTER DELIGHT
MariaWitBook
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I can only say that I loved the book! I was fortunate enough for a friend to get it even before I got my copy and because she finished it in one sitting she called me straight way asking if I want to read something really really good! I’m grateful that I said yes straight away! As reading this book give him hours of pure enjoyment! I will totally recommend it! Specially if you went through a reading slump and you are looking for a pick you up book look no further! Great book! Strong powerful ...more
♠ TABI ♠
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
the magic in here is super special cause it's got a K
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.75 Stars
“It took some time, but I stood taller. I Breathed deeply; trough the air burned in my throat, I welcomed it. I allowed the smoke to cloud my mind and bade my thoughts to silence, except for one refrain: enemy, obstacle, Queen.”
I went into this expecting a dark sister fantasy story and I was half right. While A River of Royal Blood is filled with whimsy and unique magic, it’s really Princess Eva’s story with her sister Isadore playing a small role. Born with a feared blood and
Laura Silverman
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
EPICALLY GOOD.
Y'all don't even know.
But you want to know.
So preorder the second you have a chance.
Tucker
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
loving this cover
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I was on the lookout for African based fantasy YA so I was totally interested in A River of Royal Blood when I saw the cover. And while the cover doesn't slay me it's strength lies in giving us a sense right away of what this book is going to be about. Obviously magic and sisters! If we're using characters on the cover though the art should be true to those characters and not have wrong details.

A River of Royal Blood is not a title I
Bethany
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: black-authors
This is everything I want in my YA fantasy! A River of Royal Blood is an accomplished debut with an engaging story, a well-developed and original world that is casually diverse, interesting characters, complicated relationships, unexpected twists, a bit of a forbidden romance, high stakes, and a good dose of magic. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this book and am looking forward to reading more in this world.

In Myre, queens earn their place and princesses must fight to the death for the
Amanda
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
a river of royal blood by amanda joy bookstagram photo.jpg

You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 4 Stars

A River of Royal Blood was a title that I was excited for the second that I had seen its cover and read the synopsis. I had followed this book through pre-publication even though I doubted that I could get my hands on a review copy, so when I learned that the publisher was sending me one I was absolutely thrilled. This book grabbed my attention and didn’t let go. I had a hard time setting it down and now
Christine Spoors
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I received this book in a Fairyloot & the line in the blurb about a princess finding a Fae warrior to help her train in magic so she can fight her rival sister for the crown had me so intrigued I knew I needed to read this in 2020! This have me Three Dark Crowns & Heir of Fire vibes whilst also being so unique and really it’s own story with North-African inspiration.

Eva is a brilliant main character. I really loved reading from her POV. I definitely enjoyed the first half of the book a
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
dark sibling rivalry yaaaas

i will read the fuck out of this book
Rec-It Rachel
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HELL YEAH
Beth
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-to-read
Erm, I'm not too sure about this. I don't know if it's because of the Christmas period or a me thing, but I just can't read this at the moment.

Back to the shelf you go...
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
Prereview March 2019
Ah yes, and here we see publishers begin slapping "perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone" onto any African inspired YA fantasy.

On a side note, I personally neither love nor hate the cover, it's okay. Looks like most YA fantasy nowadays.
Chloe
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
*Spoiler free*

Just from the title alone, I wanted to read this book. It sounds dark and a dark royal story sounds amazing. Then it just sounds better from the synopsis. I've recently fallen in love with sister stories and this one sounded complicated and bloody. There's also a Queendom, terrible magick, and handsome princes.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one overall. I didn't love it, but I liked it well enough. I almost put it down, but I decided to push through since there were a few
Sami
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joy shows massive talent in her stellar worldbuilding and tricky premise. l loved the complex system of magic and rich history of the kingdoms. My only complaint is how much I hated Eva's mother and sister. Truly, they were so awful that I was ready for Eva to end them all. Luckily, Eva is much more level-headed than me and in true heroine style, grows as a person over the course of the book.
Janani(ஜனனி)
Mar 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
THE COVER SLAYED ME INTO SHREDS.
Boston
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Caroline
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2019
I kept waiting for the main plot of this book to pick up, but it never seemed to happen.

We didn't get to learn a lot about our characters or our world in this book, we were just thrown into it. It's like the author expected us to know everything about the world and the characters already.

The plot of this book moved very slowly and once it did start to get moving, it wasn't interesting and didn't keep my attention.

Overall, this book disappointed me and left me confused on what had happened in the
Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
**Update 05/10/2019**

why the hell is this not out yet and how do i get my hands on an arc?!
Bookish First Rea...: A River of Royal Blood by Amanda Joy 1 8 Oct 22, 2019 09:07AM

• Eight Will Fall
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion

A River of Royal Blood (2 books)
  • Untitled (A River of Royal Blood #2)