Start by marking “There's Something in the Water: Environmental Racism in Indigenous & Black Communities” as Want to Read:

"In There's Something In The Water, Ingrid R. G. Waldron examines the legacy of environmental racism and its health impacts in Indigenous and Black communities in Canada, using Nova Scotia as a case study, and the grassroots resistance activities by Indigenous and Black communities against the pollution and poisoning of their communities.

Using settler colonialism as the ov
Published April 2nd 2018 by Fernwood Publishing

To ask other readers questions about There's Something in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's Something in the Water

Start your review of There's Something in the Water: Environmental Racism in Indigenous & Black Communities
Joanne MacNevin
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I gave this book a 3-star rating because I feel it is an important read. However, honestly, I would have preferred less academic speak, and more details about the concrete examples. I was really interested in what the individuals from the various communities had to say, and less interested in the philosophy. Plus, the philosophy was often repetitive - as is the way with academic books, I suppose. I just think the book would have been much more interesting if the author chose to discuss the philo ...more
Cymric
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This books deals with an important issue, and one that has been largely neglected, and I salute the author for writing it, and for her work on the ENRICH project and Bill 111. However, the writing style is ponderous and has been heavily seeded with academic-speak. It is a laborious process to tease out the actual meaning from this jungle of verbal overgrowth.
Meg (She/They)
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A must read for any activist and/or academic fighting for environmental justice. Caution: Waldron has a tendency to use jargon, so prepare to do additional research if unfamiliar with environmental justice literature.

This book successfully addresses the lack of focus environmental academics have given to central pillars of environmental justice - race, class, gender, slavery, settler-colonialism, capitalism and the ways in which they uniquely intersect to produce diverse individual experiences.
Ruth
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this study, Waldron highlights how environmental crises/issues disproportionately affect Indigenous and Black communities in Canada (while focusing specifically on Nova Scotia). She asserts that these environmental issues cannot be addressed without considering their intersections with race, class, gender, and structural determinants of health, and that they ultimately reflect environmental racism perpetuated by a larger colonial/neoliberal system.

Importantly, Waldron's study also makes it c
Artemis
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book contains a lot of important information for those who are not already aware of the issues presented within.
It is not the easiest book to read, but that may have been a personal issue due to my understanding a lot of the concepts already. I still have plenty of quotes tagged in the book, however, so it's definitely worth the full rating. Also, some things are worth working through, and this book is one of them.

Thank you for the great book.
Antara
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A relatively short book to propel me deeper into my awareness journey about indigenous issues in Canada. Environmental racism wasn’t really on my radar until recently, and I’m shocked at my previous ignorance. Canada needs to wake up and realize that when it comes to the systemic racism we so condemn in the states, it’s happening right in our backyards to the indigenous and vulnerable population.
Jess
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
The book is very good, but a little slow and dense if you're not already an environmental activist. Earlier chapters really set the stage for ongoing environmental racism in Canada (particularly Nova Scotia), overall background to environmental racism/justice, and the history of colonialism/racism/sexism/policy and violence that impact environmental racism.

The documentary is a good companion as it goes straight into some of the ongoing issues that are discussed later on in the book.
James Fisher
A must-read for any East Coast environmental group or anyone concerned about the environmental impact government decisions have on marginalized communities. A little too academic for the casual reader, it nevertheless goes far in explaining environmental racism in Nova Scotia up to the present.
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Very important information, but as someone studying health sciences I found it a lot too academic and written with inaccessible language at times. For that reason, it took me half a year to read because I kept putting it down. Glad I finished though, it was informative.
Ciarán
Jul 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
The rating is no comment on the ideas, just a judgment of it as a book. The author suffers greatly from logorrhea. This book is archetypical academic text that is far longer than necessary, has too many references and is overloaded with buzzwords.
Eileen
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This book has sections that are very academic and sometimes the writing can come across as pompous.
However, there is some very good and very important information here that needs to be read.
Environmental Racism is a very serious issue and we have a lot of work to do!
Allison
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A necessary read for all Nova Scotians.
Caroline
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The concepts and ideas deserve 5 stars, however, the ponderous way the book is written takes away from the very important information it contains.
EmpowerPuffGurl
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I loved about “There’s Something In The Water: Environmental Racism in Indigenous and Black Communities” by Ingrid R. G. Waldron:⁣

1) For those who live on the east coast of Canada, this book should be necessary reading! I never really learned about environmental racism other than briefly in university and this book was a great way to read up on issues in my own backyard.⁣

2) The book was used as reference for the documentary by the same name on Netflix produced by Ellen Page and Ian Daniel

• A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • The Water Dancer
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • A Guide to the Other Side (Beyond Baylor, #1)
  • Spark (Skin Books, #2)
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • The Train of Lost Things
  • Am I Alone Here?: Notes on Living to Read and Reading to Live
  • Selected Poems: 1950-2012
  • Blanket Toss Under Midnight Sun:  Portraits of Everyday Life in Eight Indigenous Communities
  • I Can Make This Promise
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America
  • A History of My Brief Body
  • El laberinto de los espíritus (El cementerio de los libros olvidados, #4)
  • Weather