Start by marking “Salamander Sky” as Want to Read:
Salamander Sky

Salamander Sky

Every spring in the eastern region of the United States, warmer nights with steady rain bring the migration of thousands of spotted salamanders to ponds and pools, often across busy roads. These crossings are magical, and secretive--most people don't even know they happen. Salamander Sky features a mother and daughter who go out on a rainy night to help the salamanders ...more
Published March 9th 2018 by Green Writers Press

To ask other readers questions about Salamander Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salamander Sky

Start your review of Salamander Sky
Julie Smart
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author and Educator Katy Farber takes us on another magical journey through childhood--this time with Salamander Sky. We travel through a child’s eager eyes to a spring evening when the spotted salamanders return. The story embraces the idea of taking care of nature and helping others. In this book, Farber and Sodano beautifully weave a science lesson with a sweet family tradition. As an elementary school teacher and a parent, I highly recommend adding this captivating and educational book to ...more
Josette Abruzzini
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
In Salamander Sky, Katy Farber and Meg Sodano write and illustrate April’s day as she watches the rain, reads a book, stands in the pouring rain, and waits for the salamanders. The touches, sounds and sights that we experience through April make it a special day for all of us.

The change of seasons engages us with a Pitter, patter, drip, drop. For now, the salamanders are underground, safe and snug. April’s flutter of hope, and the all-day rain, will surely stir spring and the spotted
Reshamad
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cybils-2018
I really enjoyed reading Salamander Sky. This is a tale of tiny creature, a specific type of salamander called the spotted salamanders. The book narrates the migration of the spotted salamander from the perspective of a girl.
A girl is looking forward to seeing these creatures in their migration journey. Its perfect time of the year, April and the rain is coming down hard. The rain is perfect for these little creatures in their journey.. although it was not clear to me what the journey was (from
It's funny, Jacqueline Woodson's book, The Day You Begin popped into my head when I started reading this one. I think it is the lovely poetic writing and the story of caring and understanding someone/something other than yourself. This book is a call to arms to get outside and do something good for wildlife. I added it to my non-fiction tag because while it is a story, it also shares facts and information about the spotted salamander. I love that rain is the special weather. Beautiful! ...more
Sharon
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book strikes the perfect balance between engaging story and environmental education. It is both a sweet and personal first person account by a young girl, as well as a portrait of the elusive spotted salamander. It focuses on the quiet beauty of a child's relationship with nature and also how to help spotted salamanders in their annual - and dangerous- journey.
Thank you, Katy Farber & Meg Sodano, for bringing this underrepresented creature & its journey to young readers and their
Kelly
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got a sneak peek at this beautiful picture book. I must admit that I am very partial to the theme of the book--I love the real-life people--especially the kids-- who help salamanders cross roads on warm rainy Spring nights. This is a lovely tale that will really appeal to kids who care about nature and are curious about simple ways that they could actually contribute to helping animals. The illustrations are beautiful. Great book!
Nicole
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an elementary science teacher I am always eager to find picture books that are appropriate for a read aloud and have great information. This story is written in a lyrical voice that is fun to read. It tells about a young girl and her mom, who is a scientist waiting for the night the salamanders come out. I love the girl's interaction with her mom as she learns about and explores nature.
Eleanor Peterson
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Every school and library should have a copy of this incredible book. Beautifully illustrated. I love the author's style. In a few words, she describes where the salamanders live and the barriers they encounter while migrating back to the same body of water where they were born to reproduce.
Debra
I really like this book so much! Wished there was back matter to get more info on the subject.
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lyical journey showing a strong female MC and her scientist mom doing their part for the Earth. A STEM-classroom must-have!
T Crockett
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great mix of scientific facts and a story. A terrific book for a budding naturalist.

Marianne Mullen
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful picture book for children and adults alike. Brings to life a girl who loves nature and has a passion to care for it. Inspiring and a call to duty as well for salamanders everywhere!
Mark
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The passion for the little Salamanders comes through in the story and the illustrations. A great book to teach little ones to care for the most vulnerable beings around us.
Melissa Mcavoy
Great read aloud to show either/both how to make a difference (citizen scientist) and how interconnected nature is
Jessica
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A great book for elementary school children. It is both an interesting and informative read as it touches upon the lifecycle and migration period of a yellow spotted salamander.
Miss Sarah
An elementary and up book about a young girl waiting for the weather to be right so she can endagered salamander cross ffrom winter hiding spots to summer spots without being harmed.

• How to Read a Book
  • Drum Dream Girl: How One Girl's Courage Changed Music
  • Rabbit and the Motorbike
  • Dreamers
  • Julián Is a Mermaid
  • Stardust
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
  • Ocean Meets Sky
  • How Could a Bear Sleep Here?
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • Porcupine's Pie
  • Prince & Knight
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • Florette
  • Mouse's Christmas Gift
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • A Stone for Sascha
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
Katy Farber is a teacher and author from the mountains of Vermont. Her first book, Why Great Teachers Quit and How We Might Stop the Exodus, was released in July by Corwin Press. Her second book, Change the World with Service Learning: How to Create, Lead and Assess Service Learning Projects, was released in 2011 by Rowman and Littlefield Press.

Her latest book is Salamander Sky, a picture book