Start by marking “The Talmud: A Biography” as Want to Read:
The Talmud: A Biography

The Talmud: A Biography

The life and times of an enduring work of Jewish spirituality

The Babylonian Talmud, a postbiblical Jewish text that is part scripture and part commentary, is an unlikely bestseller. Written in a hybrid of Hebrew and Aramaic, it is often ambiguous to the point of incomprehension, and its subject matter reflects a narrow scholasticism that should hardly have broad appeal.
Published April 17th 2018 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Talmud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Talmud

Start your review of The Talmud: A Biography
BHodges
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to the LOGRB series!
Charlie Hersh
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: judaism, history
I got about halfway through before giving up on this one. I just could not penetrate his writing. I'm not sure if it's him or me but it was just not coming together. I think he definitely could have benefited from a better editor on those first two chapters, which were pretty disorganized. I also was hoping for a more historical account of the Talmud's redaction, which might have helped to better support the textual analyses.
Phyllis
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Impenetrable! Despite multiple efforts, I was only able to read 30 pages of this book because the author’s writing style was extremely difficult for me to read. I had really looked forward to this book as our December selection because I wanted to learn more about the Talmud. I did learn quite a bit during the discussion, but frankly could not learn anything from the book.
Liz
Oct 11, 2019 added it
Shelves: 21st-century, judaism
You ever read an introduction long after you should have because you, on the one hand, know the thing pretty well and, on the other hand, missed some obvious 101 stuff?
Yeah, this was a very useful book in that respect. Time to go through the footnotes and make my next reading list.
Jimmy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wasn't an entertaining read but the information it gives is exactly what you want if you're looking for a 'biography' of the Talmud.

• The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)
  • Государственность и Анархия
  • Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  • Господа Головлевы
  • Самсон Назорей
  • Here All Along: Finding Meaning, Spirituality, and a Deeper Connection to Life-in Judaism (after Finally Choosing to Look There)
  • Diabetes Burnout: What to Do When You Can't Take It Anymore
  • Dr. Futurity
  • The Witch: A History of Fear, from Ancient Times to the Present
  • The Secular Enlightenment
  • From Shame to Sin: The Christian Transformation of Sexual Morality in Late Antiquity
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • Resurrection and the Restoration of Israel: The Ultimate Victory of the God of Life
  • Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan
  • Dagon
  • The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel
  • The Hebrew Republic: Jewish Sources and the Transformation of European Political Thought