Start by marking “How We Work: Live Your Purpose, Reclaim Your Sanity, and Embrace the Daily Grind” as Want to Read:

“I have long thought that what the Buddha taught can be seen as a highly developed science of mind which, if made more accessible to a lay audience, could benefit many people. I believe that Dr. Weiss’s book, in combining such insights with science and good business practice, offers an effective mindfulness based program that many will find helpful.” --His Holiness, the Da

Published March 13th 2018 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about How We Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Work

Meg - A Bookish Affair
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
"How We Work" is a how to manual on taking big topics like mindfulness and compassion and to utilize them in the workplace. If you're into these things already (I try very hard to use mindfulness and related tools and to expand my practice every day). Work doesn't need to be a pain when you make a point to try and expand all of these really good things that this book is filled with.

Much of this book was not rocket science. These are tools that you might be familiar with but applied in a new way
Caroline
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book to defend against burnout — irony: I read it on vacation.
Pam Cipkowski
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best books I’ve read on workplace satisfaction. Studies show that having a strong sense of purpose benefits our physical and mental health in numerous ways. Embracing mindfulness in the workplace and thinking about work more positively can make a world of difference to our wellbeing. Lots of good stuff here on setting of priorities, managing positive and negative emotions, resilience, and working with intention, but it sometimes gets a little bogged down. Still, so many good points to ...more
Susan Lauher
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good survey of contemporary leadership/ management research and philosophies. The book skims the surface of a wide range of topics and doesn’t offer much in the way of unique insights. If you are looking for a good overview this will be interesting to you. She cites original research and that could offer a jumping off point for topics of greatest interest to you. However, if you read a lot on management and leadership you are unlikely to find anything new here.
Ivy Weston
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great business book by Leah Weiss who teaches courses on compassionate leadership at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. She discussed how to incorporate mindfulness - not meditation, but mindfulness in terms of being self-aware, compassionate toward yourself and others, and emotionally intelligent at work and at home. It’s a quick read with good info - highly recommend.
Charles Franklin
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book that is more for the over-stressed workaholic who needs a reminder again that mindfulness is the key to productivity.I like that the author emphasizes that being a workaholic isn't entirely our fault. It's also our environment. I feel did a good job of helping the individual aspect of the workaholic environment, but not the "work environment" aspect.
Cammy
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know this is a self-help book, but it didn't feel like one. It felt like an encouragement book, if that makes sense. I have never felt more ready to take on my career and my life after reading a book.
Gina
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
A lot of platitudes and cliches along with the usual suggestion to use mindfulness. Nothing new or original here.
Justin Weiss
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
If you want a primer on general mindfulness that's focused mostly on productivity benefits at work, this is the book. It's filled with small exercises and prompts to practice being more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and actions, and practice using your feelings as signals, not as orders. It also had one of the best prompts for finding purpose that I've seen.

The book takes a very, very general view of what mindfulness means. Everything from defusing feelings, to crucial conversations, to retr
S
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn’t read it completely. Lot of the stuff is well known to everyone. I was wishing for more practical advice and tips vs. abstract thousand feet view. Mindfulness is easy to say but very difficult to implement and practice. May be it’s in the genes, something you can’t cultivate. Compassion is the same thing. These are personal traits that can’t be taught in academic setting. Author points out the research out there to refute this and tries to convince it can taught and learnt. I wish it was ...more
P Michael N
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read on how to attain and sustain mindfulness at work. There’s nothing Earth shattering covered here but simple and practical reminders and exercises to help us work better. The key insight is that it doesn’t matter what’s happening, mindfulness practices are something you can apply to make in any difficult situation better. A pleasant read - I’d recommend it to anyone who’s on the grind, work, school, chores, life etc.
Rajat Jain
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book breaks the conventional rules linked to the society and make one’s aware of how living in the mindfulness will help the person to take action and live a peaceful life. The mindfulness skill is a key to run the business and manage the work life balance. The book asks question .i.e. Does professional means being unemotional. Author talks about mindfulness strategies .i.e. prioritise feelings, 1% better everyday, work on your breath and live a purposeful life.
Anne Janzer
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leah Weiss has written the book we need for the working world today - the practical blend of mindfulness and business. I was particular taken with the sections on cultivating compassion for others and ourselves at work, and at failing better (rather than just faster!). I'd say to rush out and buy the book, but rushing probably isn't the right approach. Read it, practice it, live it.
Tanya (mom's small victories)
Blurb:

How We Work is a well researched, technical look into mindfulness and compassion and how to use it to become happier in our personal and professional lives. This book is a good addition to your library if you struggle with job satisfaction or dealing with a difficult work situation or environment.

More Thoughts:

I saw "reclaim your sanity" in the title of this book and immediately thought this was a book for me. Even though now I'm a stay at home mom of 3 boys (who are in school all day) a
Meredith
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had a lot of great information and practical tips in it on how to bring more mindfulness to work/life using eastern philosophy and western research as evidence. Lost a star because I didn’t find it to have any new information, but definitely a good literature review of others findings.
Kelly Leonard
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really great read that connects evidence based science and mindfulness to our lives at work. Well written and researched- the author is keenly aware how skeptical business audiences can be on these topics and effectively speaks to those concerns.
Corey
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Centered on mindfulness and psychology research. Gives practical exercises and changes to make in how you approach, relate to, and perform work. I would like the exercises all together in the appendix of the book as well as throughout to make it easier to find them.
Sara
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read for book club. Like the reminder to approach people woh compassion
Stevo Brock
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was Stevo's Business Book of the Week for the week of 9/23, as selected by Stevo's Book Reviews on the Internet. http://forums.delphiforums.com/stevo1

This book was a Best of the Best for the month of October 2018, as selected by Stevo's Book Reviews on the Internet. http://forums.delphiforums.com/stevo1...
Theodore Kinni
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
No 7-step plans to nirvana--just a host of ideas for developing mindfullness, purpose, and compassion that you can mix and match to enhance how you work. Read the uncorrected proof; pub date march '18
Shared Thoughts : End of Month Discussion 1 5 Nov 01, 2018 05:39AM

• Slow Reading in a Hurried Age
  • Dodging Energy Vampires: An Empath's Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Restoring Your Health and Power
  • Reach Out: The Simple Strategy You Need to Expand Your Network and Increase Your Influence
  • The Origins of Happiness: The Science of Well-Being over the Life Course
  • How Healing Works: Get Well and Stay Well Using Your Hidden Power to Heal
  • All Natural: A Skeptic's Quest for Health and Happiness in an Age of Ecological Anxiety
  • Pivot: The Art and Science of Reinventing Your Career and Life
  • The Ape in the Corner Office: How to Make Friends, Win Fights and Work Smarter by Understanding Human Nature
  • The New Rules of Work: The Modern Playbook for Navigating Your Career
  • The 25 Cognitive Biases: Uncovering The Myth Of Rational Thinking
  • Blueprint for Disaster: The Unraveling of Chicago Public Housing
  • The Creative Curve: How to Develop the Right Idea at the Right Time
  • Insight: Why We're Not as Self-Aware as We Think, and How Seeing Ourselves Clearly Helps Us Succeed at Work and in Life
  • Eisenhower, Volume #2: The President
  • The Corporate Culture Survival Guide
  • Emotional Contagion
  • Darwin and Facial Expression: A Century of Research in Review
  • Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life
Leah Weiss, Ph.D., MSW, is a teacher, researcher, and meditation expert at Stanford University specializing in the application of mindfulness and compassion in secular contexts. Her perennially waitlisted course at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, Leading with Mindfulness and Compassion, is breaking new ground in an MBA program already famous for innovation. Her other courses at Stanford in ...more