Start by marking “The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)

The Art of Theft

(Lady Sherlock #4)

Charlotte Holmes, Lady Sherlock, is back solving new cases in the Victorian-set mystery series from the USA Today bestselling author of The Hollow of Fear.

As "Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective," Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork—or rather, made away with the secrets hidden behind a much-covet
Published October 15th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Theft, please sign up.
Jeni Not really. It might be difficult to follow as they rely heavily on events in previous books.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
LaShondia Griffin You know, I thought about that also. I need to go reread My Beautiful Enemy.

Start your review of The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
Yun
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Art of Theft sees the return of one of my favorite heroines, Charlotte Holmes, who had opened a consulting business under the fake name of Sherlock Holmes, whom she pretends is her brother. In this book, an old friend of Mrs. Watson's is in trouble. She's being blackmailed, and our heroine must steal a priceless artwork in order to safeguard her secrets.

This series just keeps getting better and better. All my favorite characters are back, including Lord Ingram, as proper and stick-in-the-mud
Navessa

*happy sigh*

There are few things you can count on in life. For me, one of those things is this series. I know that whenever I pick up the latest release in it, I’m in for a five-star worthy read.

This installment only serves to reinforce this as my favorite ongoing series. If you’re worried that this makes me a biased reader, fear not. Kate Daniels is another of my favorite series, and I one-starred one of the books in it. Because WTF, Curran?

In The Art of Theft, Sherry Thomas takes all the chara
Caz
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

The Art of Theft is the eagerly awaited fourth book in Sherry Thomas’ superb series of historical mysteries starring Charlotte Holmes, a most unusual young woman whose keen, logical mind and incredible deductive skills would have been completely disregarded in Victorian England had she not invented the infirm but brilliant brother Sherlock who is – in name only of course – the greatest detective the nation has ever seen.  While each bo
OLT
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So who stole Sherry Thomas's wonderful craftsmanship when she was writing this fourth installment of her Lady Sherlock series? Where's the superb writing? Where's the great character development? Where's the sparkling, interesting dialogue? Where's the clever interaction among the characters? Where, oh, where? I dunno. Not here in this book, for sure.

If you like capers or heists, you will like this story. I much prefer my stories to revolve around the characters and their relationships and inter
Hollis
I think I expected way too much from this book. And that's a me problem.

I've had a pretty up and down experience with this series but it had all really started to turn around by book three. However I should've known that the things I wanted from this series, particular after that last installment, wouldn't happen so soon. Or the way I wanted.

I didn't mind the mystery of the week, and there was both an appropriate amount of character growth and/or realization, as well as reluctance, both of thing
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lady Sherlock series has been a loved series from the very beginning. In fact, I would even go as far as to say it is one of my most, if not my most, favorite series in the genre. It is just so much fun, always entertaining, so well written and I love the growth and mystery of all the characters.

The mystery is always center stage but the relationships and love interest are a close second and I love that, especially after book three were we get just a little bit more of it all.

And with the
Lady Wesley
18 October 2019
Brava Sherry Thomas! Brava Kate Reading!

18 August 2019
Huzzah! I got an ARC from Edelweiss. I shall wait, however, until I read it to give it five stars.

I must take a moment to share my pleasure at finding that this quote from my review of A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock #2) was selected by the publisher to appear at the front of this book.
I am breathless. Not to mention sleepless . . . . Sherry Thomas is simply a genius – twisting classic Sherlockian memes into complicat
Bookish Ally
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. Fast paced with characters full of eccentricities, this series is full of romantic (clean) tension and twists and turns. Another fun installment, and already looking forward to her next.
*The Angry Reader*
I don’t know what to do with this series.

I struggled with the first one in the series - ended up enjoying it on a reread, liking the second one and then adoring the third. I did refer to one of these books as similar to a time-lapse photo. Where that’s been elegant before it was excruciating here.

I guess my review comes down to this - what was the point of this book? How did it further the series? There’s an argument to be made that that’s a ridiculous way to read. What’s the point of any book
Wanda
One of the best aspects of my 2019 summer reading list (The Summer of Sherlock) was the discovery of this charming series, the Lady Sherlock series. I’m really enjoying a lot of these feminist revisionist Victorian adventures! The Victorian age as it should have been.

I love Charlotte Holmes as a character and I relate to her when she would rather be at home with a cup of tea and a pastry than out in the world pursuing criminals! I rather favour coffee and popcorn, but it’s the same idea. I have
Hannah
AHHH October is so far away!!!!

3/6: GET READY KIDS! COVER ART AND SYNOPSIS
Lata
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting into book one the first time I read it. On a subsequent reading (or actually listening) I came to appreciate Sherry Thomas’ interpretation of Sherlock and Watson, by changing Sherlock’s gender and making the stories into that of women sleuthing, scheming and supporting one another, despite the restrictions of the time.
This time around, Holmes is roped into committing a theft to aid an old friend and love of Mrs. Watson. The Maharani of a small kingdom is being blackmail
☕️Kimberly
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year I devoured the first three audiobooks and was delighted to listen to The Art of Theft. This delivered a different flair, although it still had some mystery and required cunning skills, disguises and observation.

Mrs. Watson accepts an case from a old lover whom she feels some guilt over leaving. This particular case involves recovering or should I say stealing a priceless artifact for the Dowager Maharani of Ajmer.

Ash, Livie, and Mr. Marbleton accompany them to France. What an adventure
The Lit Bitch
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Do you ever just come across a book that by all accounts you should absolutely love, and then you just don’t? Well that’s what happened to me with the Lady Sherlock series.

I picked up the first book fully ready to be hooked and in love with this series only to feel let down and disappointed. I don’t even think I finished the first book and I didn’t pick up any of the others in the series.

I was heart broken and as the years have gone on, I keep thinking I should pick this series up aga
Barbara Rogers
Series: Lady Sherlock #4
Publication Date: 10/15/19
Number of Pages: 304

Sherry Thomas has done the impossible as far as I am concerned. I am never a fan of re-worked, re-vamped, reimagined lives of fictional characters – except – this author has created a clever, absorbing, fast-paced, interesting newly imagined Sherlock Holmes and I am in awe. The series maintains the shadowy, misty, shivery mood of the original Sherlock series while imbuing it with a bit of humor and showing how women chafe unde
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been impatiently waiting for this book and was so excited to get the opportunity to review it. I first went back and reread the first three in the series. A lot goes on in these books and I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget anything. These books were just as good the second time as they were the first. And I think that the Art of Theft is the best so far in a really spectacular series. Here we have an old lover of Mrs. Watson’s that needs help retrieving letters from a home outside of P ...more
Blackjack
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-2019
I found the fourth book in the Lady Sherlock series quieter than the others given its focus on the interrelationships in Charlotte's inner circle. I have thought quite a bit about the role of community in this book and series because I was not initially sure about the expanding role of Charlotte's friends and family into her investigative work. I've concluded that I do like Charlotte & co. rather than Charlotte-as-individual solving cases, and I think this theme is important to the development o ...more
Sophia
With each new installment in this series, I have come to highly anticipate the clever cases, the Victorian Era ambience, and most of all, the characters peopling these books. This author's Lady Sherlock isn't just a wink and a nod at the venerable detective, but a classy tribute that Sherlockians cannot help but approve.

The Art of Theft is fourth in the Lady Sherlock series and is part of a series with not just a few series arcs though each mystery is new, making it a series that is best appreci
aarya
Not as much romantic development as I would’ve liked but I am an impatient romance reader. This series is going to be the death of me.

I don’t love the constant references to Charlotte’s dieting and refraining from desserts. It adds nothing to the books. Just sigh. I love these books to death, and the repetition of this topic makes me cringe. On the plus side, I was pleasantly surprised and ecstatic at how Indian colonialism was discussed. It was nuanced and brilliant.

I was very happy to see Leig
Carrie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what happened here. I enjoyed Thomas's previous romances and Lady Sherlock books, but this was dull filler that was devoid of tension. You'd be fine skipping until the last 10% and reading the next book if you care about the characters. I felt like no one moved forward in character development at all, which can be a problem in a long series.

Also, liking sweets is not a personality trait. Thomas has always mentioned Charlotte being dessert-obsessed, but it got to a ridiculous point
Elodie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Theft
Lady Sherlock Historical Mysteries Series #4
Sherry Thomas
Release date 10/15/2019
Publisher Berkley

Blurb :

As “Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective,” Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork—or rather, made away with
Ashley | _shelflove_
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
May have been my favorite to-date (though the third one is PRETTY CLOSE). How is it possible for Sherry Thomas to do what she does time and time again?

A heist.
Feminism.
Moriarty.
A sapphic love story.
Ingram’s inner monologue (truly torturous).

I. CAN’T. *chef’s kiss* — I love you, Sherry Thomas.
MBR
The Art of Theft by Sherry Thomas is the much awaited fourth installment in the Lady Sherlock series. This time around, Charlotte Holmes and her ragtag band embarks on a journey to find a lost piece of art for a former lover of Mrs. Watson’s, who is being blackmailed.

The third book saw Lord Ingram Ashburton and Charlotte coming together as lovers, but alas, only as a ploy to deceive the villain into playing right into their hands. Ingram is adamant that he would not take advantage of Charlotte i
eyes.2c
Fascinating Holmesian mystery!

Such a complex and rewarding story that explores the Holmsian genre and all it's accoutrements in a brilliant fashion.
Charlotte Holmes is an usual person, focussed, brilliant, capable of ingenious guile, a freethinker with a much vaunted love of sweet things. The descriptions of her measures in the face of the dreaded approach of Maximum Tolerable Chins, the sensuality with which she regards deserts just serve to enhance her quirkiness.
Charlotte, Lady Sherlock is a
Lauren Stoolfire
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock series just keeps getting better and better. I'm absolutely thrilled that I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy via NetGalley and luckily it absolutely lived up to my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Charlotte, Mrs. Watson, Lord Ingham, and all the rest again. I honestly couldn't put it down and sped right through it. It's a real race to solve this complex mystery. There is so much m
Merry Jewelhound
I have read all in the series and am enjoying each one more. The twists and turns make the story fly by. I can't wait for the next book to be published. This is my favorite type of book mystery and a dash of romance.
Teri
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, historical
4.5 stars. I love this series. I was more emotional this time with all the stuff happening and am anxiously awaiting the next.
Ellen
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, adult-fiction
This is probably my favorite Lady Sherlock to date. It's a fun heist mystery that heavily includes my favorite character, Livia. Lord Ingram was more involved with the actual mystery as well. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Minx
There is nothing I love more than reading stories that have elaborate cons in them and The Art of Theft had a doozy in it! In this story, Mrs. Watson’s past becomes part of the present with the re-introduction of a person that she knew many years ago. It was a rather scandalous history but with a parting that left Mrs. Watson feeling regretful. When Mrs. Watson learned that her friend was in need of assistance, given this chance to help her friend, she wanted nothing more. Charlotte was, of cour ...more
G.
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that The Art of Theft is such an ensemble entry into the Lady Sherlock series, because there isn't a character I dislike here. And in general, it's a strong series instalment. I just wanted a bit more of Charlotte's POV.

And so the wait for the next one begins.

• A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • Murder at Queen's Landing (Wrexford & Sloane, #4)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • And Dangerous to Know (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #3)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street
  • The Devil's Teeth (Ravenwood Mysteries, #5)
USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided years ago that her goal in life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, young adult, and three books inspired by the martial arts epics she grew up devouring. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as th ...more

Lady Sherlock (5 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)

News & Interviews

“At least once in his life, he would like for her to look at him as she would a morsel of fine French pastry. Or a slice of Victoria sandwich. Or even a humble piece of buttered bread.” 2 likes
“He had wanted marriage, children, and an upstanding life. He still had the children, thank God, but a man who had salvaged his greatest treasures from the smoldering ruins of his home remained in the middle of smoldering ruins.” 2 likes