Start by marking “The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)

The Art of Theft

(Lady Sherlock #4)

Charlotte Holmes, Lady Sherlock, is back solving new cases in the Victorian-set mystery series from the USA Today bestselling author of The Hollow of Fear.

As "Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective," Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork—or rather, made away with the secrets hidden behind a much-covete
Published October 15th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Theft, please sign up.
Jeni Not really. It might be difficult to follow as they rely heavily on events in previous books.

Start your review of The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
Yun
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Art of Theft sees the return of one of my favorite heroines, Charlotte Holmes, who had opened a consulting business under the fake name of Sherlock Holmes, whom she pretends is her brother. In this book, an old friend of Mrs. Watson's is in trouble. She's being blackmailed, and our heroine must steal a priceless artwork in order to safeguard her secrets.

This series just keeps getting better and better. All my favorite characters are back, including Lord Ingram, as proper and stick-in-
Caz
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

The Art of Theft is the eagerly awaited fourth book in Sherry Thomas’ superb series of historical mysteries starring Charlotte Holmes, a most unusual young woman whose keen, logical mind and incredible deductive skills would have been completely disregarded in Victorian England had she not invented the infirm but brilliant brother Sherlock who is – in name only of course – the greatest detective the nation has ever seen.  While each book i/>The
Navessa

*happy sigh*

There are few things you can count on in life. For me, one of those things is this series. I know that whenever I pick up the latest release in it, I’m in for a five-star worthy read.

This installment only serves to reinforce this as my favorite ongoing series. If you’re worried that this makes me a biased reader, fear not. Kate Daniels is another of my favorite series, and I one-starred one of the books in it. Because WTF, Curran?

In The Art of Theft, Sherry Thomas takes all the characters we’ve grown to know and love
Hollis
I think I expected way too much from this book. And that's a me problem.

I've had a pretty up and down experience with this series but it had all really started to turn around by book three. However I should've known that the things I wanted from this series, particular after that last installment, wouldn't happen so soon. Or the way I wanted.

I didn't mind the mystery of the week, and there was both an appropriate amount of character growth and/or realization, as well as r
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lady Sherlock series has been a loved series from the very beginning. In fact, I would even go as far as to say it is one of my most, if not my most, favorite series in the genre. It is just so much fun, always entertaining, so well written and I love the growth and mystery of all the characters.

The mystery is always center stage but the relationships and love interest are a close second and I love that, especially after book three were we get just a little bit more of it all.

And with the
Lady Wesley
18 October 2019
Brava Sherry Thomas! Brava Kate Reading!

18 August 2019
Huzzah! I got an ARC from Edelweiss. I shall wait, however, until I read it to give it five stars.

I must take a moment to share my pleasure at finding that this quote from my review of A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock #2) was selected by the publisher to appear at the front of this book.
I am breathless. Not to mention sleepless . . . . Sherry Thomas is simply a genius – twisting classic Sherlockian memes into/>
I
OLT
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So who stole Sherry Thomas's wonderful craftsmanship when she was writing this fourth installment of her Lady Sherlock series? Where's the superb writing? Where's the great character development? Where's the sparkling, interesting dialogue? Where's the clever interaction among the characters? Where, oh, where? I dunno. Not here in this book, for sure.

If you like capers or heists, you will like this story. I much prefer my stories to revolve around the characters and their relationshi
Bookish Ally
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. Fast paced with characters full of eccentricities, this series is full of romantic (clean) tension and twists and turns. Another fun installment, and already looking forward to her next.
Hannah
Jan 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
AHHH October is so far away!!!!

3/6: GET READY KIDS! COVER ART AND SYNOPSIS
The Lit Bitch
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Do you ever just come across a book that by all accounts you should absolutely love, and then you just don’t? Well that’s what happened to me with the Lady Sherlock series.

I picked up the first book fully ready to be hooked and in love with this series only to feel let down and disappointed. I don’t even think I finished the first book and I didn’t pick up any of the others in the series.

I was heart broken and as the years have gone on, I keep thinking I should pick this s
Wanda
One of the best aspects of my 2019 summer reading list (The Summer of Sherlock) was the discovery of this charming series, the Lady Sherlock series. I’m really enjoying a lot of these feminist revisionist Victorian adventures! The Victorian age as it should have been.

I love Charlotte Holmes as a character and I relate to her when she would rather be at home with a cup of tea and a pastry than out in the world pursuing criminals! I rather favour coffee and popcorn, but it’s the same idea. I h
☕️Kimberly
Last year I devoured the first three audiobooks and was delighted to listen to The Art of Theft. This delivered a different flair, although it still had some mystery and required cunning skills, disguises and observation.

Mrs. Watson accepts an case from a old lover whom she feels some guilt over leaving. This particular case involves recovering or should I say stealing a priceless artifact for the Dowager Maharani of Ajmer.

Ash, Livie, and Mr. Marbleton accompany them to F
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been impatiently waiting for this book and was so excited to get the opportunity to review it. I first went back and reread the first three in the series. A lot goes on in these books and I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget anything. These books were just as good the second time as they were the first. And I think that the Art of Theft is the best so far in a really spectacular series. Here we have an old lover of Mrs. Watson’s that needs help retrieving letters from a home outside of P ...more
Barbara Rogers
Series: Lady Sherlock #4
Publication Date: 10/15/19
Number of Pages: 304

Sherry Thomas has done the impossible as far as I am concerned. I am never a fan of re-worked, re-vamped, reimagined lives of fictional characters – except – this author has created a clever, absorbing, fast-paced, interesting newly imagined Sherlock Holmes and I am in awe. The series maintains the shadowy, misty, shivery mood of the original Sherlock series while imbuing it with a bit of humor and show
aarya
Not as much romantic development as I would’ve liked but I am an impatient romance reader. This series is going to be the death of me.

I don’t love the constant references to Charlotte’s dieting and refraining from desserts. It adds nothing to the books. Just sigh. I love these books to death, and the repetition of this topic makes me cringe. On the plus side, I was pleasantly surprised and ecstatic at how Indian colonialism was discussed. It was nuanced and brilliant.

I wa
Blackjack
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-2019
I found the fourth book in the Lady Sherlock series quieter than the others given its focus on the interrelationships in Charlotte's inner circle. I have thought quite a bit about the role of community in this book and series because I was not initially sure about the expanding role of Charlotte's friends and family into her investigative work. I've concluded that I do like Charlotte & co. rather than Charlotte-as-individual solving cases, and I think this theme is important to the developme ...more
Sophia
With each new installment in this series, I have come to highly anticipate the clever cases, the Victorian Era ambience, and most of all, the characters peopling these books. This author's Lady Sherlock isn't just a wink and a nod at the venerable detective, but a classy tribute that Sherlockians cannot help but approve.

The Art of Theft is fourth in the Lady Sherlock series and is part of a series with not just a few series arcs though each mystery is new, making it a series that is
Elodie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Theft
Lady Sherlock Historical Mysteries Series #4
Sherry Thomas
Release date 10/15/2019
Publisher Berkley

Blurb :

As “Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective,” Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork—or rather, made away with t
eyes.2c
Fascinating Holmesian mystery!

Such a complex and rewarding story that explores the Holmsian genre and all it's accoutrements in a brilliant fashion.
Charlotte Holmes is an usual person, focussed, brilliant, capable of ingenious guile, a freethinker with a much vaunted love of sweet things. The descriptions of her measures in the face of the dreaded approach of Maximum Tolerable Chins, the sensuality with which she regards deserts just serve to enhance her quirkiness.
Charlotte,
Lauren Stoolfire
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock series just keeps getting better and better. I'm absolutely thrilled that I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy via NetGalley and luckily it absolutely lived up to my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Charlotte, Mrs. Watson, Lord Ingham, and all the rest again. I honestly couldn't put it down and sped right through it. It's a real race to solve this complex mystery. There is so much more I
Kathleen Kelly
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Art of Theft by Sherry Thomas is a take on the Sherlock Holmes tale. Charlotte, our protagonist is a woman who has solved murders and finding missing people. Mrs. Watson Charlotte's friend has asked Charlotte to help her with friends the Maharani's request, to steal some letters that are hidden behind a priceless artwork. The Maharani is being blackmailed so she needs the maintain her secrets. To do this, Charlotte along with Lord Ingram, Leighton Atwoood Lord Ingrams assistant, her sister L ...more
Barb in Maryland
Well, it was only a matter of time before Charlotte Holmes and friends became involved in a heist caper!
A dear friend from Mrs. Watson's colorful past seeks Sherlock Holmes's help in recovering letters which have fallen into The Wrong Hands. From there on out it all becomes wonderfully complicated--leading to a masked ball and art sale at a mysterious French chateau. Of course, there are twists upon twists--nothing is straightforward--that would be too easy!

I lov
Em Wittmann
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite in the series, but still nearly perfect. Audio review to come.
Suzanne
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
*throws things*
*smashes things*
*sings Backstreet Boys*

Quit playin games with my hearrrrrt

Okay seriously, a year between these books is torture.

That’s it, you don’t get a real review.

I’ve knocked off a star because I’m really tired of the weight gain/dieting as humor thing. Do I need to know every two seconds that Charlotte is restricting? No. Do I need to be told to laugh at her misery every 5 seconds? No. I’d love for someone to
Lynn Horton
I'm surprised that I didn't engage with this story more, particularly in light of all the five-star reviews it's receiving.

Although the writing is professional and clear, the story itself was lackluster to me. The storyline wasn't compelling enough to keep the book moving, and I set it down at the 60-percent mark because I just didn't care about the story or characters yet. Then, thinking that I was so close to finishing it, I picked it up again. I still didn't care about with the ch
Minx
There is nothing I love more than reading stories that have elaborate cons in them and The Art of Theft had a doozy in it! In this story, Mrs. Watson’s past becomes part of the present with the re-introduction of a person that she knew many years ago. It was a rather scandalous history but with a parting that left Mrs. Watson feeling regretful. When Mrs. Watson learned that her friend was in need of assistance, given this chance to help her friend, she wanted nothing more. Charlotte was, of cour ...more
Carrie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what happened here. I enjoyed Thomas's previous romances and Lady Sherlock books, but this was dull filler that was devoid of tension. You'd be fine skipping until the last 10% and reading the next book if you care about the characters. I felt like no one moved forward in character development at all, which can be a problem in a long series.

Also, liking sweets is not a personality trait. Thomas has always mentioned Charlotte being dessert-obsessed, but it got to a ridiculous point
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Beginning a few months after the conclusion of the previous book, The Art of Theft picks up with Mrs. Watson returning from a visit with her niece, Charlotte ending her hiatus from mystery solving as Sherlock Holmes, and Stephen Marbleton wooing Olivia. When Mrs. Watson discovers an old friend from her past needs help, she and Charlotte offer their services to steal a valuable painting from a tightly guarded masquerade ball.

The Art of Theft is another amazing adventure in the Lady Sherlock seri
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This  Lady Sherlock series   has been so addictive for me.  I like this sort of mystery and the British accents and locale.   There is a background romance? with Lord Ingram and Charlotte Holmes. I am totally invested
Usha
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book while drinking copious amounts of tea and wished for a French bakery nearby. What I most enjoyed about this book was how all the supporting characters (these characters are well written, multi-dimensional and endearing in everyway) played a vital and significant role in deciphering the mystery. The mystery portion of the plot wasn't the best, otherwise the exposition flows beautifully, well written and very entertaining. The set-up for the next book left me anticipating. The ent ...more

• Murder at Kensington Palace (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery Book 3)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • Murder in Black Tie
  • Meet Me in Monaco
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Upon the Midnight Clear: A Lady Emily Christmas Story (Lady Emily Mysteries)
  • Sharpest Sting (Elemental Assassin, #18)
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more

Lady Sherlock (5 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • Untitled (Lady Sherlock, #5)
“Charlotte exhaled—and wished that she had Bernadine’s distaste for cake. Not always, of course, but for brief and intense spells that made it easier to give up extra servings in times of impending Maximum Tolerable Chins.

Charlotte preferred to indulge herself perennially. Alas, her love of cake and other sweet confections sometimes conflicted with her vanity: at around 1.5 chins the shape of her face changed. But Maximum Tolerable Chins wasn’t merely a matter of features; it was also the point at which her garments became restricting. And beyond that, uncomfortably tight.

She had a great many uses for her money and didn’t have room in her budget for outgrowing her entire wardrobe.”
0 likes
“I hope you may still take one or two of these mignardises.”

Miss Charlotte considered the matter: The approach of Maximum Tolerable Chins was, in this household at least, treated with all the gravity of an outbreak of war. “I suppose, if I eliminate all puddings from my other meals, I may take one of these a day at tea.”

Mrs. Watson exhaled, resting her palm against her heart.

“And perhaps we can resume our canne de combat practice. We might yet stave off Maximum Tolerable Chins, if you put me through my paces, ma’am.”

Mrs. Watson chortled. Miss Charlotte was not otherwise the most eager participant in vigorous activities. Maximum Tolerable Chins might be doing her a favor, forcing her to exercise more.”
0 likes