Start by marking “The Stars and the Blackness Between Them” as Want to Read:
The Stars and the Blackness Between Them

The Stars and the Blackness Between Them

Told in two distinct and irresistible voices, Junauda Petrus’s bold and lyrical debut is the story of two black girls from very different backgrounds finding love and happiness in a world that seems determined to deny them both.

Trinidad. Sixteen-year-old Audre is despondent, having just found out she’s going to be sent to live in America with her father because her strictl
Expected publication: September 17th 2019 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Stars and the Blackness Between Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stars and the Blackness Between Them

Rachel Strolle
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
COVER REVEAL ON MONDAY NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE
temi ★
Apr 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
so apparently i was found passed out in my room after reading the summary of this book. wow
The Artisan Geek
May 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
13/5/19
Yup. This is going on my 'I-need-this-in-my-life' shelf instantly.

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
ellie
Feb 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
this sounds sad oh no please don't destroy me like the song of achilles
Sasha
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
**This review is based on an ARC received through work at my place of employment**

Where do I even begin with this book? When I was asked to check this title out for possible ordering at my bookstore, I was interested but had no idea what I was getting into. The synopsis on the back intrigued me, warned me that this was likely going to be a bit of a heart-wrenching read. And it was, but it was also humorous and funny and filled with love.

Tracking between two POVs, The Stars and the Blackness Bet
Sophia Jones
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, contemporary
I really enjoyed this. I didn't read the summary super closely so I didn't know that I would be getting into a terminal illness story, but I thought the subject was handled well and didn't feel tired like other YA books in the same vein do. I think this is in part because the plot covers so many other topics, but not in a way that feels overwhelming. I found the plot to be pretty well paced- nothing really surprised me though. I loved the writing style. Audre's POV is written in a Trinidadian di ...more
Mary Thomas
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you @duttonbooks for the review copy received at #alaac19

One of the most beautiful and original voices I’ve ever read in YA. This book, told in alternating perspectives tells the stories of Audre, from Trinidad and Mabel from Minneapolis. It covers a lot of ground: queerness, Blackness, identity, friendship, illness, incarceration and spirituality...and somehow it all works brilliantly. Plus- it has the most incredible prose.

Out September 17- do not miss it! I’d recommend for 7th & u
Cherie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya
A lesbian love story between two black teens; one is fleeing Trinidad, where she was caught having a relationship with another one. Lyrical, luscious language.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Mar 08, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
I'm already so proud of these sapphics of color can't wait for them to get published
Kelsey
Jul 20, 2019 marked it as arc-received
[Mid-September expiry]
ONYX Pages
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wooooow!! 4.5

What a glorious, melanated, magical love story!

Bravo! Brrraps! Biggup!