Start by marking “Nobody Cares” as Want to Read:
Nobody Cares

Nobody Cares

“The internet’s best friend.” — Flare

From the author of the popular newsletter That’s What She SaidNobody Cares is a frank, funny personal essay collection about work, failure, feminism, and the messy business of being alive in your twenties and thirties.

As she shares her hard-won insights from screwing up, growing up, and trying to find her own path, Anne T. DonaSaid, Nobody
Published September 18th 2018 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Cares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Cares

Whitney Atkinson
DNF at 53%.

I'm putting this one on hold right now. It's not bad, but the first two essays started out SOOOO good, but then after that it just turned into stories I couldn't really relate to so it wasn't as funny. I think i'm gonna wait until this comes out and it's available on audiobook, then I'll enjoy it much more as a memoir then.
Kristy K
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2018, essays, netgalley
3.5 Stars

A book of essays that is part memoir, part critique, it reads like a friend wrote a letter to you. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments mixed in with reflective moments.
Kayla Ramoutar
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some are born anxious, some achieve anxiety, and some have anxiety thrust upon them. I am lucky enough to have been blessed by all three.

Woof. This collection of essays is one of the best I've read. Donahue's essay on anxiety is the best. I've never read an essay about anxiety that hits the nail on the head (of My anxiety) as perfect as this one, aptly entitled "Anxiety, You Lying Bitch". Donahue's anxiety, from what I could gather in the essay, manifests a lot like mine: physically and in my
Naksed
Mar 27, 2019 marked it as couldnt-get-past-the-sample
She is right.
Janilyn Kocher
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nobody Cares is an appropriate title for this book because I certainly didn't care for most of it. Donahue is a mess, by her own admission. Hopping from job to job, she eventually amassed so much debt she had to move back in with her parents. I'm wondering how this book got published because it's just her ramblings strung together with absolutely no semblemce of order. She mentioned writing a blog, I think she just mined it for material or copied and pasted and tried to pass it off as a book. I ...more
Deandra
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anne is great and her writing is great and you will read this book in no time at all
Leigh Witzling
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was cute and funny and I totally want Anne to be my best friend, but none of those things made this a good book. It falls under that genre of memoir-ish self help-ish books where a woman has a pretty normal young adulthood and then writes about it to remind you to stop caring what other people think and get some basic self care skills. And throws some curse words in to sound relatable. All the messages in this book are good and wonderful and I’m totally on board with everything the aut ...more
Caitlin Kunkel
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anne T. Donahue is the voice inside your head if that voice was incredibly witty, funny, and profound (OK, so not the voice in MY head, but maybe someone's??). These essays are a salute to the "beautiful disasters" we can all be at times. I came to her writing on Twitter, then followed it to her newsletter, then followed it to her book, which honestly would be creepy if I didn't admire and love her writing so much. Highly recommend!!
Renata
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I wanted it to be, funny and messy and #relatable.
Lauren Simmons
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I share Anne’s view on a lot of things (I will never watch GOT either, am generally mad at the world) and we have many shared cultural touch points (hello coming of age in the late 90s) but I’m just a little bit separated from her in life stage/age so some of the essays resonated less for me. A quick read with some funny bits and some feelings.
Molly
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anne T. Donahue is amusing and insightful throughout this collection of essays focusing on mental illness, writing, introversion, and other issues that seem to crop up for myriad women in their 20s and 30s. The title of the book is a great reminder of something that we all often forget: nobody really cares what we are doing, whether we look good or bad, whether we go to this party or that - and that is a really freeing thing to realize.

I received access to this title via NetGalley in
Alanah
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alanah by: Mary
Shelves: great-non-fic
Love this one! Several of the essays were exactly what I needed to hear right now, and helped me to feel less alone. It was a great recommendation!
Kirby
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This is my first netgalley read that which I want to purchase a physical copy. And not just one. I want to buy this for all of my close friends. Because Anna Donahue is raw and relatable and reading this book felt like a hug from someone who's been there. It's so, so good.
Anne Logan
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew I’d like Nobody Cares by Anne T. Donahue before I even opened the front cover. Why? Please refer to my list below:

The author Anne T. Donahue has the same first name as me, AND we’re the same ago, so obviously we are soul sisters.

She grew up in and still lives in Hespeler Cambridge which is a short jaunt away from where I grew up and still call ‘home’, even though I’ve lived in Calgary for 10 years now.

The cover of the book is hilarious, which is always
Nabiha
Sep 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really tried to like this book. I saw so many reviews hyping this book so maybe my expectations were a bit too high. I love essays, they’re fun reads and it’s always fun to get strangers insights on daily matters. But I struggled with this one. The essays seem boring and nothing refreshing. There was no insight or any growth. Her experiences are her experiences (of course) but she was extremely frustrating. The only thing I got out of this book is that I would never want to be around someone l ...more
Bri (girlwithabookblog.com)
After subscribing to and thoroughly enjoying Anne T. Donahue's newsletter That's What She Said for the past couple of years, I was eager to get my hands on an ARC of her debut collection Nobody Cares. The book, which is a collection of her essays, reads like a series of her funny and heartfelt newsletters one after the other. Donahue's newsletter typically covers navigating her own life and pop culture moments in today's world as a young 30-something, bucollection Nobody ...more
Alexis
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
An excellent essay collection about mental illness, failure and working in your 20s and 30s. I liked the voice and the honesty in this collection and found a lot to relate to. Anne has a poignant and important voice. I found this book made me feel better about my own recent failings.
Audrey Lentz
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book reinforces my belief that all the best writing, art, and music comes from Canada. Anne is smart, funny, and exceedingly relatable. Her essays read as effortless and poignant at the same time.
The Reading Countess
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, ebook, memoir, arc
Funny, well written memoir for anyone floating aimlessly in their 20’s or early 30’s. Honest and reflective, the targeted age group will feel embraced and understood. I think my oldest son might have whispered in her ear as she wrote. ?? I especially liked the BURN IT ALL DOWN chapter.
Weronika Zimna
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5?
I'm in awe and going to interview the author but first I have to process all this
Kaitlin
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I was VERY excited when the brooklyn library finally got this book in (I never want to trash the library but they are slow on the uptake of Canadian authors). Love a good feminist essay collection.

This collection had hits and not misses but non-hits for me and I feel like it's probably the same for most. Sometimes I wanted more from her stories -- she wrapped up points quickly -- and other times I wanted a larger theme.

What I did love was the arc of growth over the course
Carly
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
I received a digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

Anne T. Donahue's collection of essays covers everything from failure, feminism, and fashion to mental health and the pain of losing those you love. She writes genuinely and openly, and her personality is present on every page.

Reading Nobody Cares is like listening to your blunt best friend give you advice without holding back. She reminds you that you might feel like a screw up right n
Caroline
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
1 stars

This book... is not good. It could just be that I am not the target audience for this essay collection (narcissists). Also, calling it an essay collection is being generous. There's no cohesion beyond how consistently awful the author is to seemingly every person that cares about her, and the "essays" read more like half-baked blog posts. They're just a bunch of surface-level observations and aggressively self-deprecating jokes. She also lists things a lot, so it starts to fee
Steph Warren
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley, with thanks to the author and publishers. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Anne T. Donahue has laid her soul bare to the world in this book.

Nobody Cares is witty, raw and honest. At times it is a memoir, telling anecdotes from the author’s past to explain her attitudes to family and relationships, death and growing-up. At other times the essays are directly addressed to the reader (yes, you!) and form m
Julianne Vantland
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this. Initially I really enjoyed her style and tone - like reading the diary of an extremely self aware friend. But it started to wear on me. I can’t quite put my finger on why - maybe the lack of hope or sense for how she is making life work now? Maybe it’s just because it’s a lot to absorb in a single seating - maybe I would enjoy this more as a blog series? I feel bad leaving a less than stellar review- it could be that it’s just me who can’t connect with this. But I was left ...more
Mary
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picked it up because "nobody cares" is my favourite advice. Everyone is way to self-involved too give a shit about what you're doing. Nobody cares so don't worry about it.
Super relatable collection of essays if you are a young thirty-something woman from Canada. I mean, probably if you're not too. But there IS a Breaker High reference. So.
Also lots on general anxiety over life that maybe doesn't make you feel better but as least it's nice to know others feel the same.
Jeffrey
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best book I’ve read this year so far. Funny, real, and so relevant. Definitely a new favorite. Highly recommend.

“But failing is universal. It’s a language almost everybody understands. Without slipups and mistakes and doing the wrong things because the right ones still seem so scary, we’d never figure out who we are. Plus, failure’s never permanent. It’s part of the process, not what defines it.”
Nichole
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has so many good messages and so entertaining to read!
There were a lot of things that were helpful to know that other people experience, and the tone of the book is like that of an honest and open conversation with an old friend that has the same fears and experiences as you, with some sass and sarcastic input.
Brittney
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is okay. It's fine, really. Reading it was a decent way to while away my lunch breaks at work. However, the essays never went as deeply as I wanted them to, never gained much detail past generalizations, and while the anecdotes were interesting, I thought that they could have been more polished and less... expected. This book is new, and it feels new, and a bit too grounded in the 2018 social media zeitgeist for my taste.
Julia
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
cambridge excellence!!!! when i started this book i had no idea the author was from my hometown and it was the most PLEASANT surprise to read about her experiences there and mentions places i knew and grew up at too.

i loved this book, anne - if you’re reading this - you’re a gift!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Nowhere with You: The East Coast Anthems of Joel Plaskett, The Emergency and Thrush Hermit
  • Most Dramatic Ever: The Bachelor
  • Lost in Mongolia: Rafting the World's Last Unchallenged River
  • No Good Asking
  • Stroll: Psychogeographic Walking Tours of Toronto
  • Let's Go Exploring: Calvin and Hobbes
“What are you watching? Is it comforting? I don’t have the bandwidth to give a fuck about anything not comforting to me most of the time. I know that’s “uncultured,” but also I don’t care because who are you, person challenging me? I want to watch Veep before bed because it makes me laugh, and I want to watch true crime documentaries, and I want to watch British actors in terrific costumes battling through emotions they weren’t even aware they had. That’s all. I’m tired. Find your comforting shit. Build your mental fort and hang out there.” 5 likes
“Being jealous does nothing. It turns you into a person who’s unable to feel genuine happiness, and tarnishes every accomplishment when it’s used to measure your sense of worth on a made-up scale. You hear about a friend’s promotion (in an industry that probably isn’t yours) and feel like you will never venture past your existing achievements. You hear someone from high school is getting married and assume that you never will. You discover the guy you worked retail with in 2006 has a new apartment, and you sit wherever you happen to live and actively resent the space you loved five minutes ago. And feelings like will always come up; it’s just up to you to say “fuck off.”

So, while I’d like to say you should just decide not to be jealous, and that we’re all in this together so let’s remember that and be best friends, I know that isn’t realistic because jealousy is immune to reason and logic…If I feel myself slipping into a jealousy wormhole when I see someone else shining, I remember that to gauge my self-worth based on someone else’s accomplishments is a one-way ticket to bitterness.”
4 likes