Start by marking “A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)

A Defense of Honor

(Haven Manor #1)

When Katherine "Kit" FitzGilbert turned her back on London society more than a decade ago, she determined never to set foot in a ballroom again. But when business takes her to London and she's forced to run for her life, she stumbles upon not only a glamorous ballroom but also Graham, Lord Wharton. What should have been a chance encounter becomes much more as Graham embark ...more
Published June 5th 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published June 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Defense of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Defense of Honor

Start your review of A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
Kellyn Roth
Original Review After I Just Finished It:

4.5 stars? Not sure, might even be five after I think about it.

At first I was seriously like, "I like blackmailing people! Why'd they have to stop blackmailing?" Then *coughs* I remembered that blackmailing is wrong.

Oh well, I suppose it couldn't go on forever. ;)

It was really great!

Actual Review:

Originally po/>Actual
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews.

Title: A Defense of Honor

Author: Kristi Ann Hunter

Series: Haven Manor, #1

Genre: Christian Historical Romance

Era: 1810s (Regency)

Setting: England, London and countryside

Publisher: Bethany House Publishers

Source: from the publisher in exchange for honest review

Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

A Defense of Honor by Kristi Ann Hunter

WHOA! If you thought Hawthorne House was good, get ready for something even more fantastic! Hunter’s Haven Manor series looks to be the most fantastic thing she – or any other author – has come out with in a while!

Let’s just get right into things before I start fangirling.

PLOT: 5/5
*incoherent screaming*

OH MY GOODNESS! This plot is so amazing that it makes all the other amazing plots ashamed of their lack of amazing!

I don’t want to give spoilers, so I won’t go into it much. I couldn’t put it down! It was paced perfectly, it was entertaining, it made sense …

When a book doesn’t have a ton of issues (none that I can remember), there’s often not a lot to say. However, I was so, so pleased!

CHARACTERS: 5/5
THE CHARACTERS WERE AMAZING! :D I got so into Kit’s mind that I forgot the difference between right and wrong. xD So yep. Kudos to the author; I think I’ve got a book hangover.

Both Kit and Graham were excellent characters! I’m so excited to read an update about their lives in the next books. ;)

Other amazing characters who I loved to death: Daphne, Aaron & Oliver, Jess, Priscilla … they’re all so much fun!

Basically, all the characters were amazing! I cannot put into words how excited I am to see them again in the next book!

SETTING: 5/5
As far as I could tell, there were no major inaccuracies in the book and the setting was well-portrayed.

There are some very unconventional characters, especially for the era, but Hunter pulls it off perfectly. No complaints!

WRITING: 5/5
I LOVE HUNTER’S WRITING STYLE!!! It is basically the best, most amusing third person limited I have ever had the honor to read!

*jumps up and down while waiting for the next book*

CONTENT: 3/5
Language: n/a

Violence: n/a

Sexual: lots of talk about unwed mothers and their illegitimate children; handled super well. A couple kisses, none too detailed. Mentions of evil men, philanderers, etc. A story about a woman being seduced by a man is told in minor detail though nothing about the actual sex is mentioned.

Other: talk about childbirth, pregnancy, and nursing

3/5. Not recommended for readers under 14. A story about a home for illegitimate children & women who help couldn’t have been handled with more taste.

OVERALL: 5/5
I can’t tell you how much I love this story. I ADORE A DEFENSE OF HONOR! Please let the time until the next book comes out go quickly because other I WILL DIE.

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Clara
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Loved loved loved loved loved
*insert here all heart emoticons*

I adore it when a book catches me by surprise. This might have seemed like a big chance Kristi Ann Hunter was taking, but I also believe it is her best yet - and that's saying a lot because I completely adore the Hawthorne series!

Graham Wharton is bored. He doesn't understand what the fuss is all about in London's high society balls, luxuries, and extravaganza. After all his travels, there hasn't been muc
Beth
Such a lovely start to what promises to be an engrossing series! I admit, I'm pretty attached to the Hawthorne family, but the inhabitants of Haven Manor are proving to be stiff competition. Kit, Daphne, Jess (who readers will probably recognize from the Hawthorne books) are easy-to-love characters, not to mention the sweet rambunctious nature of the children in their care. Graham is endearing from the start, easily climbing over all of the barriers that the three ladies, especially Kit, have se ...more
Victoria Lynn
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Let me just off this review by saying that I want to applaud Miss Hunter for writing about such a difficult subject with such ease and delicacy.
The story itself was beautiful and I have to say that this hero was one of my favorites that I have read in a while. The heroine, Kit, was lovely as well, though I personally did not relate to her in some ways, I found myself loving her heart and motive, regardless of whether her actions were the right ones or not. I was rooting fo
Staci
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love the foundation of this series with the three young ladies from different backgrounds. In A Defense of Honor readers get to know Kit who was in the elite crowd previously. The main lesson in the novel is a good one...God has an even better plan than our own.

I look forward to learning more about Daphne and Jess.
Dawn
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:

This book wasn't nearly as light as some of the author's other books. Yet I was captivated with it. I loved the characters in this book from Graham and Kit to the people they encounter. I'll admit that this book was a little slower than the others the author has written, but this book was really good. I truly enjoyed it.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher in order to share my honest opinion about it. My thoughts and opinions are my own
Abigail
This book was so good. I just need to take a moment and applaud Mrs. Hunter for her amazing job at dealing with such difficult topics. I was blown away by the beautiful message this book.

All the characters in this book were so endearing and I just loved them all to pieces. Especially Graham, he knew when and when not to push Kit. He also was kind and compassionate with everything he said and did. I was very happy that we had a male lead like him in this book.

I cannot wait to read book 2 and se
Amanda Geaney
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do not fancy myself a romance reader, but I could be swayed if more authors in this genre would spin stories like Kristi Ann Hunter. Everything about this book is perfection! The characters were genuine and likable. The writing is effortless and captivating. Highly recommend!
Dana Michael
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book by Hunter is a wonderful and original story. I love Regency Era books and this one is very unique. I've never read one like this. I loved it. I think anyone who loves this genre will really appreciate and enjoy this story. The characters are so likeable and I felt as if I was there with them in their quest to make the lives of the children better. They were very selfless and loving. They were also flawed and not perfect. However, Graham the hero was pretty much perfect in my book. ...more
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
We always talk about all the things we "miss" from the 1800's, but we never talk about the truly terrible things that happened during this time period. Leave it to Kristi to deal with heavy topics with such a flawless execution!

Illegitimate children born to aristocracy were a huge issue, that was also taboo to talk about. The men could sire a child and never see a consequence, while the mother of this child would lose her place in society and quickly become an outcast. AND THE POOR C
Melissa
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, RT Top Pick
The first novel in Hunter's new Haven Manor series is both gripping and heartwarming at the same time. It is fascinating to read about these situations, which have so many parallels to the present day, yet because this book is set in the 1800s, it has more impact and can be quite challenging to the reader. Hunter communicates her storyline with such grace and passion, showing light on God's mercy and how He can restore any broken situation for His glory.

Wh
Sarah Monzon
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...in fact it’s making it as one of my favorite books of the year. Yes, I’m that confident even though it’s only June. This is my favorite book by Kristi Ann Hunter. Yes, I’ve read them all. I loved the slow romantic burn, and that first kiss? Swoon!! I loved the plot which was unique and not something I’ve read in Regency over and overnight again like some plots/tropes. I can’t wait to read more books in this series!
Rachael
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The most precious gems are forged from pressure. God brings beauty from adversity, when you let him.”

A terrific read that touches the heart. Children in books is one of my favorite things, and it generally guarantees a heart touching story. It’s happy and sad, wonderful and glorious, yet heartbreaking as well.

What is the right way to handle the illegitimate children and the mothers? This book proves that there is no easy answer to that question, and not every situation h
Andrea Boyd
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Kristi's books and have loved every one of them. But this is my favorite! Cannot wait to get my hands on the next one!
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
3.5

Props for the original storyline! I loved that I haven't read a story like this in all my regencies. I liked the storyline and setting. I haven't read it yet, but I think it would probably be a good idea to read the prequel, A Search for Refuge, I did feel a bit lost or that I was missing something in the beginning, I would have liked if Kit's story had been in a prologue or told earlier on in the story. Overall, it was a good read and I'm curious to read the rest of the books in the ser
Tricia Mingerink
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, but not as much as some of Kristi Ann Hunter's previous books, though I doubt any of them will quite reach the heights of her first book with all the spy intrigue and danger. I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator was ok, but not my favorite, which probably didn't help when influencing my enjoyment of the book.

This book was still good. A little bit of danger. A little mystery. It handled the tough topic of illegitimate children and how they come about delicatel
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Now I need to know - does the rest of the series follow Jess and Daphne, or Aaron and Oliver? All of the above? Other characters we haven’t met yet? How does Graham and Kit’s venture turn out? What drove Jess to that London alley where she met Kit? Why did she leave Ryland and Miranda? Will we see any of the Hawthornes again?
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
My favorite thing about this book is the contrast of personalities between Kit and Graham. They both have so much to learn from each other and both bring a new and fresh perspective to their friendship and relationship. Graham's cheerful and light-hearted nature brings joy to the children and the women who care for them. Kit's mission and purpose shows Graham a serious side to the consequences of society's dictates and he admires her determination to work towards solutions. There is some danger ...more
Cheryl Baranski
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Defense of Honor is book one in the Haven Manor series by Kristi Ann Hunter. If you love the Regency area romance than this is the book for you. This story is one that grabs at the heartstrings. This is a story that is full of love, hope, longing, dreams and what has been. I love the protectiveness and determination of Kit. Then there is Graham oh my. A girls dream guy. Be sure to get your copy of A Defense of Honor today.
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
I enjoyed getting to know Graham and Kit. They are unique, well-written characters that won't soon leave your imagination.  Graham has a fun sense of humor and a playful endearing quality that draws you in and makes you want to linger. Kit is more serious. She is determined and practical. She needs a little encouragement to let down her hair and laugh. Graham is just the man for the job.

Haven Manor is a hidden gem. A safe place of refuge for those who the elite of society has deemed
Cara Putman
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An important story, beautifully told. Touching and relevant to today. The characters will creep into your heart and you will think of them long after you've finished reading the story. It shines a light through the lens of history on an important issue and theme.
Amy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A riskier darker side to the Regency era we all know and love. A deeply emotive story that will open up an alternate view point, to the challenging world of illegitimacy within the aristocracy during the 1800s . With a unique plot, and genuine heartfelt storyline, Kristi tells a story you probably haven't heard before. With an eye for even the tiniest of details (and I notice, as a British reader) I can tell she has thoroughly researched her subject. This story follows through now 12/13 years on ...more
Caitlyn Santi
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another absolutely splendid novel from Kristi Ann Hunter! I have been eagerly anticipating this first novel in the Haven Manor series since March when I read the prequel novella, A Search for Refuge! I knew A Defense of Honor was going to be fabulous and to say that I was not disappointed would be a humongous understatement, I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH! This story grabbed hold of me on page one and would not let go! When I pick up a book by this author I know I'm in for a super fun, witty ride tha ...more
LA
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I’ve read a book by Kristi Ann Hunter and I have to say that I was immediately hooked on this particular novel. There’s a lot of mysteries that unfold throughout the entire book, a lot of secrets kept and revealed, lives changed, and hearts that begin to heal.
The story focuses on one woman’s quest to overcome the guilt of a past mistake that drives her to “save” others from a fate that could be. Kit’s goal is to see children born out of wedlock to the aristocracy of
Gracelyn Buckner
4.5 Stars

~wonderfuls~

the characters

I really loved all the characters in A Defense of Honor. I think Daphne was my favorite, although I really liked Kit too. Graham seemed really sweet, as did his two friends (whose names I can't currently remember...).

the themes

I loved the themes throughout A Defense of Honor. It wasn't really what I was expecting, but that was good. Claiming to be doing things for God, while we're really doing it for ourselves isn't a theme you read about that much. So I was glad/>the/>
Jaina Rose
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: blogged
This review and many more like it are available on Read Till Dawn .

This is an odd mix of a book.

For one thing, it's a grim look at the underside of 19th-century highbrow English society, sparing no punches in its depiction of a world where Kit's project–an orphanage and rehab program to help illegitimate mothers impregnated by nobility–is necessary.

From another angle, it's a love story between a woman traumatized by her past and tied down by duty and a man who .
Michelle
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have so enjoyed Hunter's novels that I jumped at the chance to read this one! As the start of a new series this book starts with a great cast of characters. As per typical Hunter style, this book was full of humor but also truth and heart. Kit is a wonderful character and her journey in her personal life very well written. Graham and the children in the book take the story to another level and right when you think you have it all figured out, the story takes a turn. I loved that not everythin ...more
Fiction Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed the first 85% of this book. The opening chapters held the promise of a romance with a little bit of intrigue and quite a bit of fun when Kit caught the eye of Lord Wharton, a viscount who finds himself thoroughly bored by the predictability of his current social life. Working in counterpoint to this light-hearted side of the story is Haven Manor, a place where Kit and her two compatriots, Daphne and Jess, devote their lives to raising children who might have had a very differ ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Kristi Ann Hunter tackles a difficult topic in "A Defense of Honor". The lines of honor are blurred, do two wrongs make a right? I had to applaud the heroine's efforts in this book. Three women work to provide protection, education, and a home for the illegitimate children of nobility. They make it possible for the mother's to reenter society without their reputation being destroyed. Their efforts are honorable and noble, but the methods employed are a bit sketchy.

I liked Kit as a ch
Melissa
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This huge almost 400 page book was great, it only had one problem and it was a big one. Too many words. This book could have lost 100 pages of unnecessary words. Repeated thoughts, scenes that were unnecessary because they repeat what we already know is happening. I debated giving this 3 stars, but dang the story, the characters, the setting and the truths taught in this book are worth the read. This is a Christian story with a touch of regency England about Kit and her friends who help save wom ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1) by Kristi Ann Hunter - Starting November 7th, 2019 1 3 Nov 01, 2019 06:31PM
Review 1 3 Jun 25, 2018 05:42AM
What I thought.... 2 5 Jun 04, 2018 12:58AM

• Miss Serena's Secret (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #2)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • The Number of Love (Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Christmas Heirloom: Four Holiday Novellas of Love Through the Generations
  • Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)
  • A Daring Venture (Empire State, #2)
  • Flights of Fancy (American Heiresses, #1)
  • The Best of Intentions (Canadian Crossings, #1)
  • The Governess of Penwythe Hall (Cornwall, #1)
  • The Making of Mrs. Hale (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #3)
  • Winning Miss Winthrop (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #1)
  • A Reluctant Bride (The Bride Ships, #1)
  • A Desperate Hope (Empire State, #3)
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • Searching for You (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Together Forever (Orphan Train, #2)
  • The Weaver's Daughter
Kristi Ann Hunter graduated from Georgia Tech with a degree in Computer Science but always knew she wanted to write. Kristi is an RWA Golden Heart contest winner, an ACFW Genesis contest winner, and a Georgia Romance Writers Maggie Award for Excellence winner. She lives with her husband and three children in Georgia. Find her online at www.kristiannhunter.com.

Haven Manor (3 books)
  • A Return of Devotion (Haven Manor, #2)
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
“Grace doesn't work like that, Kit. I know my life's been pretty easy, and my list of sins wouldn't make anyone blush, but I'm not perfect and I've read the Bible enough to know that grace doesn't come because of anything you can do. Jesus didn't die and rise again so you could crucify yourself with guilt.” 4 likes
“He thought that appeasing his curiosity would be enough to make him willing to forget her, but the opposite was happening. Every answer unearthed three more questions about a girl born into his world, yet different than any other woman he’d ever met.” 1 likes