Start by marking “The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One (Metamodern Guides 1)” as Want to Read:

As we move from the industrial age and its nation state to an internet age with a globalized postindustrial market a question presents itself: What is the next major developmental stage of society after the liberal democracy with a balance between capitalism and welfare state?

In this book Hanzi Freinacht offers a compelling answer to this question. We are reaching the limi
Kindle Edition, Kindle Digital Format, 475 pages
Published September 1st 2017 by Metamoderna ApS

To ask other readers questions about The Listening Society, please sign up.
Alex Goodall For one thing, the developmental model is expounds perfectly explains why some people will love it, whilst others (perhaps more) people will hate it.

I…more

I particularly was excited by the refinements it made to the earlier models of development, which I was introduced to via Integral thinkers.(less)

Филипп Феодосеев
Okay so if you have a Petersonian friend who you might want to rescue from all too individualistic and stubborn right-ish surrender - offer him (I mean it's probably him) this very book. Author mentions much of Petersonian Great Truths in a kind of matter of fact manner, sincerely addressing really existing serious issues embedded in political activism and social utopianism.

Personally I was interested in this work as being a merger between activism and individual responsibility. I think that co
Jason
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No one has articulated the emerging philosophy of metamodernism better than Hanzi.

The author describes this book as ‘dangerous’, which of course made me snort with derision. For over the years I’d become numb to such hype—instead cultivating a quiet intellectual arrogance that keeps me distant from, you know, actually having to *change* the way I think about things.

But good gosh—it *is* (dangerous). In perhaps the most glorious way imaginable.

It is a book that cannot be simplified, explained, su
Oliver
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Part political manifesto, part update of developmental theory. It deconstructs and reconstructs spiral dynamics and tweaks integral theory to leave out the woo woo introduced by Ken Wilber and introduces new aspects of complexity, state and depth and retains 'code' which relates to the SD stages.

A real upgrade to my operating system.
Ben
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It takes a while to get used to the style of the book, but it's worth it. The book is a wild rollercoaster, drawing connections between economy, sociology and personal development with a broad brush. For me as someone working in these fields, many of the ideas and framings have been an inspiration or even revelation!
Will Dayble
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Pretty rare for me to dislike a book enough to give it a negative review, but this was a dangerously bad book. Ick. :\
“We fail to take responsibility, to act productively in the interest of ourselves and others. And in our attempts at a better life, we are often severely limited or thwarted by the immature and socially inept behavior of ourselves and others. There is a great fabric of relations, behaviors and emotions, reverberating with human and animal bliss and suffering, a web of intimate and formal relations, both direct and indirect. Nasty whirlwinds of feedback cycles blow through this great multidimensional web, pulsating with hurt and degradation. My lacking human development blocks your possible human development. My lack of understanding of you, your needs perspectives, hurts you in a million subtle ways. I become a bad lover, a bad colleague, a bad fellow citizen and human being. We are interconnected: You cannot get away from my hurt and wounds. They will follow you all of your life—I will be your daughter’s abusive boyfriend, your belligerent neighbor from hell. And you will never grow wings because there will always be mean bosses, misunderstanding families and envious friends. And you will tell yourself that is how life must be. But it is not how life has to be. Once you begin to be able to see the social-psychological fabric of everyday life, it becomes increasingly apparent that the fabric is relatively easy to change, to develop. Metamodern politics aims to make everyone secure at the deepest psychological level, so that we can live authentically; a byproduct of which is a sense of meaning in life and lasting happiness; a byproduct of which is kindness and an increased ability to cooperate with others; a byproduct of which is deeper freedom and better concrete results in the lives of everyone; a byproduct of which is a society less likely to collapse into a heap of atrocities.” 4 likes
“I develop if you develop. Even if we don’t agree, we come closer to the truth if we create better dialogues and raise the standards for how we treat one another.” 3 likes