Start by marking “The Charm Runner (Broken Throne #1)” as Want to Read:
The Charm Runner (Broken Throne #1)

The Charm Runner

(Broken Throne #1)

With magic banned, one chanter has a spell that could change everything …

Winnie Durham just wants to make an honest living selling magical items at her beloved store, Charmed, so she can afford to take care of her mother. But when Resolution 84 outlaws magic, Winnie must find a new way to make a living—and fast.

Caught between the law, her mother’s escalating medical bill
Published July 7th 2017 by Sterling & Stone

To ask other readers questions about The Charm Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charm Runner

Heather Rizkallah
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This book has magic and romance. But it also has family problems, forbidden love and people who think they control the world. But in reality it's Winnie who controls it
Katrina Berry
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fanfreakingtastic! The Charm Runner by Jamie Davis is Book 1 of the Broken Throne Series and I must say it is a great start to a new series.

This is an urban fantasy that is gripping with its original storyline, unique characters and defined world. Davis’ writing is smooth and flows wonderfully, and I now have myself a new go-to author to add to my list. I’m definitely keeping my eye out on works to come from this author. Nicely done!

An ARC was generously provided in exchange for an honest revi
Michael
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Jamie Davis’ books. His Extreme Medical Services series has been one of my favorite Indies for quite some time, and The Charm Runner, Book 1 in the 5 Book Broken Throne series really shows a huge progression, with Davis stepping away from Paramedic Procedural, and jumping fully in to the Urban Fantasy he succeeded so well at in the previous series.

The Charm Runner tells the story of Winnie Durham, a young mage, or “Charmer” gifted with magical power. She is quite respected in her
Rose David
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winnie is a teen girl living an adult life. Literally. At the young age of 15, she took on the responsibility of caring for her mother, who has a crippling illness and was no longer able to care for Winne or herself. With that, funds for all the things - rent, bills, and medical bills - fall onto Winnie's shoulders. As a Charmer - essentially a witch - Winnie runs a small store called Charmed, which her mother had started.

At the beginning of The Charm Runner, we see Winnie, age 18, in her shop,
Beverly Laude
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read several books in Jamie Davis' EMS series & loved them. I was interested to see what he would do with the world of witches (chanters). I was not disappointed!

Winnie is a chanter, using her spells to enchant common household items like mixers, vacuum cleaners, makeup, etc. (Wish we had things like that in our world!). However, the government, in the guise of Nils Kane, wants to stop all magical use. Winnie is "saved" by Artos Merrilyn when he obtains a license for her to repair mag
Liz Etnyre
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ya
Warning: Although a good read, the story ends, not so much on a cliffhanger, as a non-ending. Although the immediate peril is resolved, there is A LOT of unresolved 'stuff' still floating around. This is a first of a trilogy - expect to commit to all 3 for a 'whole' story.
*************SPOILER ALERT*****************

I also have a bit of an issue with her going from 'moral' law abiding person to black market runner so quickly without more discussion of her 'conversion'. It is understandable, but he
Jemimah  Zafoune
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book after another author I enjoy reading recommended it. Generally if one of my favourite authors recommends a book then chances are high that I'm going to like it, and like this book I did!

This is a multiple POV story with some very well created and crafted characters. I'm not always a fan of multiple POV as I can find it can get a bit too jarring when it jumps from character to character, but it worked well in this book and made sense to have it written this way. I thought
Penny Noble
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I came across this book from an author that I really like who was recommending it and asking for reviews. The book looked interesting so I went ahead and offered to review it. Boy, am I glad I did. This book took a unique spin on the magic trope, and I found the whole plot very interesting. The author was excellent at keeping the reader entertained throughout the book, and I found the plot complex without being overwhelming. The only thing I was a little confused about was the Sable trade; I sti ...more
Sarah Leenart
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this in exchange for an honest review. It had a lot going for it, unusual world building and in a setting entirely different to most urban fantasy. The world was complex, well thought out and the book as a whole was well written and edited. Sadly, on a personal level it did not capture my imagination, and I didn't engage with the characters or the situations at all. I had a hard time believing in Winnie, and therefore in all the events and people around her.
Pamela Taylor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

No spoilers but there was so much packed into this book and it is the first one. I am very lucky to have received an advanced reader copy. Winnie's story is like nothing I have read before. I could not put it down. She is easily relatable and dealing with everyday struggles in life. It makes it easy to connect with her. As soon as I finished I found the next book in the series. I am totally hooked.
Melinda
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want something exciting from page 1 till the end, definitely read this one! I'm not kidding, the story was almost too exciting for me with a twist on every corner :) I always waited what will be the next step, how the next situation will be resolved and of course, what will happen with all the characters, even with the not too nice ones :) Can't wait to read the next book in the series.

I received the book as an ARC for an honest review.
Julia Stephanie
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a solid and innovative story on magic. The characters were likable enough and the plot was interesting and kept me hanging on. It started out slowly, building up to the intrigue of a prophecy which had been unexpected and welcomed. The only thing that held it back from a 5 star review was that i started out very wholesome, but I feel like as it got toward the end it lost some of the details and got rushed or sloppy. Def look forward to book two!
Michelle VanDaley
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Charm Runner is the first book I have read by Jamie Davis and I am so glad I gave it a chance. The story held my interest from beginning to end. It was refreshingly different from your normal magic books out there with complex well developed and relatable characters. I am looking forward to book 2 as well as reading more of this Authors work.
Anne Farrell
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent. Had action ,suspense ,drama ,mystery you name it this book has it .Brilliant storyline and characters all well developed as story unfolds. Is a no brainer just one click it. First time I've read anything from this author but I'm definitely hooked Am seriously needing book 2 NOW.
Bobbi
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about prejudice when your own kind has it out to get you. I feel for Winnie and the struggles she is going through and eventually, all her friends are struggling. Mysteries are unraveled and secrets are revealed only to find more. This is the first book I have read from Jamie Davis and he has left me wanting for more of his world in Broken Throne series.
The Mysterious Reader
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. Nice world building with some neat and original elements, well done plot and lead and supporting characters I could really get into. If your in the mood for a fun and innovative urban fantasy this is a good bet. Definitely recommended.
Peter Carlstrom
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not good at all

After reading 23% of the book and dealing with mundane problems of non-descript and lame ex-owner of small charm shop I got exhausted and bored stiff. And the name "Winnie"?????
Tt2006
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sorry, Could not connect with the main character in this book at all or any of the others. Found the character's extremely immature and annoying. The back story alluded to in the book promised to be interesting but just can't get by this story.
Jackie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Winnie just wants to make a living selling charms to pay for her Mother's medical bills. Unfortunately magic is outlawed and something has to be done. Adorable story by a first time author for me.
Haley Thomson
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Much better book then the last one i read

The book moved week.

It had an interesting take on magic.
I liked the characters etc.
I downloaded the next book immediately.
Debra Montgomery
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good story

Very good read. Unpredictable plot. The ending is a real cliff hanger. This book has a little bit of everything in it. Magic, romance, betrayal, loyalty.
Eilish
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

Good start to a new series. It has all the elements contained to keep you reading with magic,injustice,betrayal,friendship and romance.
Renetta DeBoer
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Not what I was expecting but not bad.
Linda
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story

I love this magic story. The characters are great; they are not exaggerated with too much power. I recommend this book and series.
Hector Santiago
If you love magic and good characters than get this book it will surprise you and also get into this series
Victoria
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book to read

• Three Parts Fey (An Obscure Magic, #3)
  • Secret Designs (Secret Dreams, #2)
  • The Sinner (Assassins Guild #4)
  • Echo Beach
  • Angels and Arrows
  • Asylum (Shifter Society #1)
  • Guardian (Hidden: Soulhunter #1)
  • All Wounds (Stranger Things, #1)
  • Burn 1
  • The Timekeeper (Aliis Mundi, #1)
  • True Love
  • The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
  • Obsidian (Mystic Stones Series #1)
  • Stealing Cupid's Bow
  • The Cheesecake Fake (Slice of Paradise Mysteries #2)
  • Find My Way Home (Harmony Homecomings, #1)
  • The Silver Stag (The Wild Hunt #1)
  • The Banshee's Embrace (The Banshee's Embrace Trilogy, #1)
Jamie Davis is a nurse, retired paramedic, author, and nationally recognized medical educator who began teaching new emergency responders as a training officer for his local EMS program. He loves everything fantasy and sci-fi and especially the places where stories intersect with his love of medicine or gaming.

Jamie lives in a home in the woods in Maryland with his wife, three children, and dog. H

Broken Throne (5 books)
  • Prophecy's Child (Broken Throne #2)
  • Queen of Avalon (Broken Throne #3)
  • Stolen Destiny (Broken Throne #4)
  • Mended Throne (Broken Throne Book 5)