Start by marking “Out of the Woods: A Journey Through Depression and Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Out of the Woods: A Journey Through Depression and Anxiety

Out of the Woods: A Journey Through Depression and Anxiety

2018 Benjamin Franklin Award Winner – Self-Help Category

An inspiringpractical guide to help people out of depression and anxiety.

Out of the Woods is a book to help people understand and overcome depression and anxiety. It is the author’s own story told entirely through 700 beautifully hand drawn watercolor illustrations. It is an immensely practical guide for sufferers,
Published October 9th 2017 by Educational Resources Ltd

Start your review of Out of the Woods: A Journey Through Depression and Anxiety
Rebecca Jane Brown
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two notes:

1) I was contacted by the publishers of this book and provided with a free PDF copy** to read (and view in this case), with no obligation to talk about or review it. However, I adore this so much, that I'm writing my essay anyway!

2) Due to the nature of this book, please be aware that I will discuss suicide/depression/mental health problems in this review.

Now let's get down to business, what did I think of the book itself?

As an artist, the thousands of watercolour illustrations
Blair
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's very didactic and not exactly a compelling memoir in its own right, but the artwork is fantastic and the concept good. I can see this helping a lot of people who either live with depression or know someone with depression (which has got to be nearly everyone, right?).
Pamela Morrow
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many of us have someone we’re close to who suffers from, or has suffered from, depression and anxiety. And while we do our best to develop insight into their experience in order to be supportive, it can be hard to fully grasp how this illness gets a hold and why it alters the behaviour of those we love so drastically.
I so appreciate Out of the Woods for leading us into that mind state with beautifully rendered art and concise writing. Brent shows us, rather than tells, by inviting us into his
bronberry
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A deep insight to the authors' experience with depression and anxiety told through words and beautiful artwork. The book conveyed the isolating, complicated experience of depression and the process of accepting, seeking, and receiving the right help for the person affected. I felt deeply moved by the book and felt like crying at parts. I think this book would be ideal for partners and family members who do not quite understand depression and anxiety - the book talks about how depression is a ...more
Ashley Lamont
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An important book, especially in our world state currently.
May Be
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, everyone
Wow. Very powerful story. Stunning artwork.
This graphic novel has - more so than many other works of art on the subject - captured what it's really like to be depressed. Both in the very emotional, sometimes metaphorical sense as well as the very practical sense with all it's real work consequences.
It's a touching and deeply personal story, both for people who've been there themselves as well as for people who are entirely unfamiliar with depression.
I'd recommend this to literally anyone. As a
Daeron
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful and important book.
Anna
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous. I bought it a while back and finished it in one sitting today.
Having lived through anxiety and depression this hit a few raw nerves and left me with tears in my eyes in the end, but happy tears.
I have read a lot of books on these topics, it's my go-to for coping, and while some I don't identify with at all, Brent Williams gets it just right. The descriptions of depression and anxiety are spot on and I think the images help so much. Things I have struggled to put into
David McClendon, Sr
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out Of The Woods: A Journey Through Depression and Anxiety by Brent Williams is the story written about one man’s journey from depression back to a normal life.

This book speaks of a young man who realizes he is depressed and seeks to deal with it without drugs. The book offers some ways of helping like diet, exercise, and not withdrawing from other people.

The book cautions that anyone struggling with depression should not try to handle it on their own. It does not encourage the use of drugs.

Andy Hickman
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“OUT OF THE WOODS: A Journey Through Depression and Anxiety” by Brent Williams (2017)

Wonderful book. The text and illustrations not only tell an informative story but the pacing of the book gently reinforces the profoundness of the journey of recovery. I highly recommend this book to everyone. *****

“I delved into all the possible causes … or at least the ones I could accept … adrenal fatigue, burnout, chronic fatigue, vitamin deficiency.” (p10)

“I had to face my depression, see why it had come
Elle Kay
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have long been aware that the format of the graphic novel as a vehicle for retelling real stories can be an incredibly powerful medium, and this autobiography/graphic novel is a solid gold reminder.

This is the author's story of depression and anxiety and his struggle to overcome this disease and his journey through the ups and the downs. It is very real and raw and for anyone who has gone though similar experiences, it will be a reminder that you are not alone and a breath of fresh air that
Jodi Aman
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gives detail on the time, energy, ups and downs and people you experience when you are in anxiety and depression recovery. Readers will get Brent, and feel "gotten" as he acknowledges everything they could possibly feel, what they have tried, what others have said, and how delimitating the exhaustion from it is.

It is Brent's journey, but in a way it could be any of us. Yes, we are informed by our past experiences and once released from the beliefs they embedded in our minds, we can be
Tore Hayward
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have done some reading about depression but this was the first book that ever gave me a real sense of what it is like to be in the grips of depression and anxiety.

The graphic novel format conveys an enormous amount through the pictures (which are wonderful) - a big part of why the book is so engaging, so full of insights yet succinct. I read it (the first time) in a single sitting.

The story is autobiographical, and is worth reading for the power of the story it tells. It is also worth reading
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible and honest memoir about suffering and dealing with anxiety/depression. Important read for sufferers and non sufferers alike.
Linley Boniface
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Woods is both a courageous exploration of author Brent Williams' journey back from a major depressive episode, and a practical guide to those trying to find their own path home. Depression can make it difficult to concentrate on reading the back of a cereal box, let alone a book, but Out of the Woods' graphic novel format makes the reading experience easy, engrossing and enjoyable. And the illustrations, by Turkish artist Korkut Oztekin - lead artist on Frank Miller's RoboCop: Last ...more
Kelly Sheehan
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Out of the Woods is a great read, both as a humane insight into depression and the corrosive effect it has on the life of a sufferer and also as a guide to navigating and treating depression. Williams shows a gentle touch in his treatment of a difficult subject, neither pushing or cajoling the reader. Instead he steps back and offers compassion and hard earned wisdom based on personal experience.
Maria
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a graphic novel fan, hate them, never read them but..but wait... I DID read this one as part of the book club challenge in our library bookclub. It IS brilliant, the writer having been through depression articulates it perfectly throughout the whole book, and the illustrator is simply amazing. It is a MUST read for everyone.
Margé
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So well written and illustrated. I highly recommend this for anyone struggling with anxiety and depression...because of the book format, I feel it will be especially useful for those experiencing ‘brain fog’ and difficulty focusing.
Simon Sweetman
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very powerful book - exquisitely drawn, perfectly written. One person's story, but I'm sure in so many ways it's a universal truth, or part of one at the very least. Takes you right down into the hole and also manages to be uplifting - as well as informative. No mean feat.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever known anyone with depression or have had it yourself (so that probably includes all of us) read this! What an insight into one man's experience of depression and the way he found it through to the other side, accompanied by powerful illustrations. Remarkable.
Kok Hong
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried my entire way through and that’s how good the book is.
Angela Oliver
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book dealing with a difficult subject. The beautiful illustrations complement the book perfectly.
Divya
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a book which actually tells what a person with depression goes through.
Chris
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was really, really good. Moving and enlightening, I can't recommend it highly enough.
Emma (a morose reader)
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
so relatable
Juniper Nichols
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-zealand
Both a practical guide and highly personal, artistic endeavor.
Andy
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated and beautifully told story that everyone should read.
Alicia
This book's title already tells a lot about its content, but the "how it is told" is what doesn't show and deserves more attention. It makes it, in my opinion, a top choice when looking, for the first time, for books about anxiety and depression.

First of all, it it a graphic novel illustrated bt Korkut Öztekin where the main character is the author of this book and the story is his own journey. The combination of text and images helps explain this serious and complex subject in a friendly and
Jayden Campbell
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't entirely sure how to rate this book, as I had no yardstick to measure it by. Excluding comic strips I've read as a youngster, I've never read a story in a graphic format, particularly one with an objective of educating an audience on a sensitive subject matter such as depression.

Out of The Woods stood out to me whilst I was browsing a bookshop on my holiday. The errie cover art and title left me intrigued, so I opened it up to see what it was about. I ended up reading 50 pages before
Lena
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very beautiful book that talks about a very serious subject. It's also a genuine story of a long fight with depression.

Depression is often considered to be not a serious problem. Even now when depression kills so many people every year you still can hear people saying "just get over it", "grow up", "stop feeling pity for yourself" etc. This is especially true for men. Statistics says that for men under 35 suicide following depression is now the leading cause of death (in New Zealand,

• Ce n'est pas toi que j'attendais
  • Line of Fire: Diary of an Unknown Soldier
  • Ces jours qui disparaissent
  • Portugal
  • The Last of the Wine
  • The New Achilles
Brent Williams was born in Wellington,New Zealand, in 1958. He studied law at Victoria University and then built his career in the community law field, creating services and resources to help vulnerable people - particularly children, young people, and victims of family violence.
In his resource work Brent used comics, re-enactments, and documentaries to tell stories of people asserting their