Start by marking “The New Right: A Journey to the Fringe of American Politics” as Want to Read:
The New Right: A Journey to the Fringe of American Politics

The New Right: A Journey to the Fringe of American Politics

The definitive firsthand account of the movement that permanently broke the American political consensus.

What do internet trolls, economic populists, white nationalists, techno-anarchists and Alex Jones have in common? Nothing, except for an unremitting hatred of evangelical progressivism and the so-called "Cathedral" from whence it pours forth.

Contrary to the dissembling
Published May 14th 2019 by All Points Books

To ask other readers questions about The New Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Right

Wesley Kushner
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written for those who get it and those who don't, Malice combines philosophy, history, memoir, and personality in this road trip through not just the edge of Polite Society but the badlands beyond it, the common through line being an opposition to progressivism.

Each chapter falls deeper through the circles of Hell, the previous being a primer for what's coming next. Always empathetic without being sympathetic or pandering, Malice takes on several levels of right-wing thought with care, considera
Will
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have seen that really drives into the current political discourse.(without being a hit piece of course) He does an amazing job of breaking the entire history (from the beginning of the current movement) and current events and provides great detail without being overbearing and boring. For those that have not been paying attention to what has been going on, in reference to the shaping of the political landscape, this book hits the nail on the head. He does not hold ...more
Shane Hawk
Malice is the kingtroll of Twitter.
His writing is both lucid and erudite.

This book serves as an excellent primer for anyone not savvy to the multilayered right-wing phenomenon that had been brewing during Obama’s second term and burst onto the scene when Trump gained momentum in early 2016.

Those who follow his work will be familiar with much of this book’s content but become pleasantly surprised here and there. He often reminds us that "the right-wing (or left-wing) is not a monolith.” In this c
Ben Kramer
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michael Malice will definitively spoil whatever pleasant delusion you may have about the new right. From a left perspective, it could be the idea that the movement wholly consists of nonintellectual, immoral, social outcasts living in their parents' basements. From the right, it's that, to the extent it exists at all, the new right is just a small, disunited assortment of provocateurs whose importance is being magnified by the media. For almost all of us, it's to simply write these people off as ...more
Bryce Eickholt
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
This book was so good, I created a second account to give it 6 out of 5 stars. 5 on this one. 1 on the other.
It really clears up a lot of misunderstandings and for the most part lets the reader come to his own conclusions.
It is packed with info and is quite an engaging, fun read. I didn't want to put it down. Can't wait for the sequel.
Shane
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and interesting read. Malice starts with ancient history (the 1980's) and the crossing and diverging paths of Ayn Rand, Murray Rothbard, and Pat Buchanan. It then dives into first person accounts of modern voices in both the heart and fringes of today's "New Right"

The first person account and Malice's humor and wit make the last half of the book just fly by. I wish there was a larger sampling of the different facets represented but I understand that as a first person telling it is limited
Noah Mickel
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Please read.
Slavisa
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not understand why this book is so highly esteemed by other reviewers. The first quarter, about the emergence and formation of the New Right from various strands of thought, is the most interesting part. The rest of the book, however, generally retells a number of recent media-related events and describes several more or less well-known figures prominent in the new right (Coulter, Cernovich, Milo, etc.). It would make an interesting and engaging overview if you had slept over the past five ...more
Jonathan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The current Establishment/Elite/Ruling Class in the United States is a Progressivism one. Many belief this Elite to have come to power in recent times, perhaps under the Obama era. However, as Michael Malice argues in this book, Progressivism has been driving the bus since the late 19th Century.

They did this by taking control of the American universities, where they foresaw new ideas and policies would be created in these institutions to effect change in society. These ideas and policies were to
Ryan Schmitt
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michael Malice has integrated a considerable amount of information in this insightful survey of the New Right, the sociopolitical movement which he carefully defines as "a loosely connected group of individuals united by their opposition to progressivism, which they perceive to be a thinly veiled fundamentalist religion dedicated to egalitarian principles and intent on totalitarian world domination via globalist hegemony." Malice's extensive personal network within the New Right, as well as his ...more
Mike
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What is "The New Right"? The author defines it as:

"A loosely connected group of individuals united by their opposition to progressivism, which they perceive to be a thinly veiled fundamentalist religion dedicated to egalitarian principles and intent on totalitarian world domination via globalist hegemony."

Interesting book that takes you too the fringe of politics, the sort of fringe you don't dare ask your friends about at a dinner party. The sort of fringe you don't even want to Google for fe
Daryl Dominic Tan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally done with this masterpiece.

Michael Malice does a wonderful job breaking down a movement so often misunderstood, yet integral to understanding Trump's victory, how Brexit happened, and why populist movements are gaining traction in the West.

The book goes into great detail tracing the origins of the New Right, explaining that a large bulk of the movement is made up of pariahs (primarily the Buchananists and Rothbardians in '92) that were "purged" by mainstream conservatives (the William F.
Harold K.
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
It is mostly old hat for people who follow the alt-right/alt-lite with any consistency. Malice's perspective is more focused on his interactions with NYC NRx-ers and the history of paleolibertarianism than is necessary.

Much of Malice's uneasiness with the "new right" seems to hinge on his Jewishness, and his aversion to ethnonationalism. There are multiple anecdotes peppered throughout the book about him bringing up his Jewish identity at social events, scanning rooms for other Jews, confrontin
Sangeetha Sankaran
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Malice, a Jewish New Yorker, is uniquely poised to cover the far right. Having been well acquainted with several influential thought leaders of the far right, he is intimately acquainted with their ideologies. However, his stance as a Jewish man permits him the ability to call out the rampant anti-Semitic rhetoric. Malice attempts to be impartial and to emphatically denounce what he doesn't believe in. For example, Malice mentions that he doesn't believe in Germany's attitude toward granting asy ...more
ZaibatsuRandom
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I must say I really enjoyed the book. I've followed Malice on Twitter for a while and never quite understood his Anarchist shtick. But after reading through this I now have a much better understanding. First of all, I'd like to make a comparison to another book that attempted to bring the esoteric world of a group that is, not always accurately, described as right wing. I read Angela Nagle's book Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right ...more
Mason Masters
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Because the evangelical left—like most human beings—is highly lacking in empathy and unable to perceive other points of view, its members tend to equate their perspective with universally perceived truth.”

I really enjoyed this. It's quite balanced in its presentation of the New Right (that is, the Alt Right, neoreaction and their various luminaries). It's also very funny and I believe Malice is a comedian by trade? Or it's just that natural Jewish humour!

Even for someone like me who has been in
Christian Orton
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal. One of the best and most entertaining books I've ever read on politics. Malice is wicked smart and it shows, but he has a real gift at organizing the material in a way that makes it all make sense. In short, if you're curious about understanding today's politics you have to read this book.

A word of warning though. If you are completely unfamiliar with Malice, do yourself a favor and get to know him before you read this book. He's been on Joe Rogan's podcast a couple of times, on The
Jason Bray
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very readable, and enjoyable to read. It’s the kind of book I’d love to hear my leftist friends’ opinions of, even though I’d never get them to touch it with a ten-foot pole.

It goes from relatively cogent critiques of modern American culture to the “extreme right” which the author unfortunately identifies with racists. Since I view true traditionalism to be Biblically based, I also think that “right-wing” implies a sense of the inherent dignity and value of everyone of every race.

It’s unfortunat
Patrick S.
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Malice does a great job of going through the history of the first stages of setting up this new right and right to the writing of the book. Murray Rothbard should definitely be checked out by anyone looking into a great political/economic thinker in line with libertarianism/anarchism/revisionism. Malice covers the extremes of both ends of the movement and shows that it's not just Nazis and ethno-state supporters. There is one item which could have been clearer especially for those on the other s ...more
Petter K. Vikestad
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very timely by Michael Malice and a nice introduction for those who wish to understand populism in the Trump era, counterculture movements, and the rise of white identitarianism.
However, Malice inserts himself into the conversations a bit much at times. This is especially apparent in the Mcinnes and Taylor chapters. Wish he would let his "characters" speak without drowing them out in his commentary. The chapter about Jim Goad shows that he is able to do so.
Would still recommend this to anyone i
Gareth
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to Malice's account of dealing with people giving political opinions so different from those I tend to hear. I also found his presentation and analysis of those ideas to be quite interesting. Maybe I would have rated higher if so much of it was not a recap to me of what I already knew, though some of the parts on the subjects that were newer to me did not seem to stick. I sometimes felt like I missed some major points or themes during the weaving between subjects. Maybe these ...more
Greg
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting read. Something I would recommend for anyone interested in the current start of US politics. I think too many people on the political left don't understand this new right phenomenon. Some of it is benign, some is very much not, and there is a lot in between.

The media has completely dropped the ball in even attempting to understand it, and I think that fact is helping to make the situation worse.

Malice does a good job of laying it all out. This book will be a great time capsu
MedMax
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Malice tells his own story of the new right (his term for people outside the mainstream opposed to progressive left wingers).
Mostly 4chan trolls and known alt-right people (Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Gewin McInnes...).
Mostly anecdotes, mostly about people, not fundamental ideas.
Mostly very entertaining.
Lacks substance (not expected from the author).
What are the ideas of the new right? Not going along with rapidly changing social norms dictated by left elites in academia and the media. Apar
Sandra
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better than expected. The first 1/4 went way too deep into theoretical, ideological and historical intricacies of a very specific group, and just when I thought "I'm not that into the American right-wing politics", the book shifted gears and got interesting and hilarious. Also, one of the best concise narratives of the progressive 'religion', Gamergate and gamer culture. We live in interesting times, that much is true.
Robert
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This book is a insightful and very often funny overview of the ideas and personalities of the "The New Right." Malice takes his time guiding reader through the intellectual roots of the movement, meme culture, college campus provocateurs, and eventually to the icky, extreme fringes of the alt-right. It's kinda like the journey taken in the movie Apocalypse Now but in book form. (fun fact: Apocalypse Now was actually based on a book: Joseph Conrad's Tarzan)
Matt
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A fascinating and entertaining narrative of the rise of the new ethos emerging from the American political right.

It's difficult to imagine enjoying a book that describes a constellation of ideas that I find disagreeable, reprehensible and far too powerful in America.

But if you want to do something about bad ideas, understanding them is crucial and this book does an excellent job of explaining those ideas.

This book isn't for everyone so reader beware, but I found it very helpful.
Roy P Hatten
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required political reading

If you want to understand the phenomenon that is the new right, this is the book for you. You will learn about the growing movement, their concerns, and the various ways they go about achieving their goals (many times in a decentralized way).

Sadly, very few people wish to understand those they may disagree with, but this book gives you a clear understanding of a major subgroup within American culture.
Ethanml
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I was assigned Malice as a college professor I would burn the school to the ground.

That said, this is a great dive into the different ideas and figures in the new right. It is a fair and objective discussion of these ideas without the moral indignation the presentation of these ideas often come with.

Would be a great read for even our fundamentalist progressive friends who would be forever sentenced to hell for having been exposed to wrong think
Luke Simpson
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best sociopolitical books I have read. Usually I am bored and keep dozing off while reading about this kind of thing, but with Michael Malice's new book I wasn't able to go to bed until my wife reminded me at 12:27 AM that I had work in the morning. If you want to understand the right in today's society with unparalleled nuance and learn where they came from and be entertained while you're at it then this book is a must read.
Nicolo Marziani
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leave it to a fragrance/denim connoisseur to give such a measured account of pure evil. This book is perfect for closet fascists who've been dying to find out what this kooky new internet right wing is all about but were afraid of getting fired. Totally worth the 1.5-year preorder wait.

A excellent book.
“A loosely connected group of individuals united by their opposition to progressivism, which they perceive to be a thinly veiled fundamentalist religion dedicated to egalitarian principles and intent on totalitarian world domination via globalist hegemony.” 1 likes
“The New Right is of the fringe (and I say that as an anarchist), and the fringe is where both innovation and insanity lay.” 1 likes