Start by marking “Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)

Bone ​Crier’s Moon

(Bone Grace #1)

Bone Criers have a sacred duty. They alone can keep the dead from preying on the living. But their power to ferry the spirits of the dead into goddess Elara’s Night Heavens or Tyrus’s Underworld comes from sacrifice. The gods demand a promise of dedication. And that promise comes at the cost of the Bone Criers’ one true love.

Ailesse has been prepared since birth to become
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen

Win a Copy of This Book

• Bone Crier's Moon by Kathryn Purdie
    Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
    Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    Bone Criers are the last descendants of an ancient famille charged with using the magic they draw from animal bones to shepherd the dead into the ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2761 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 13 - Feb 10, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
    ✨ A ✨
    Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Can we have Charlie Bowater do all covers from now on please? I love her work and when I saw this book I immediately added it to my tbr. Plus the premise of this book sounds amazing. A duology and a doomed romance? Sign me up.

ARC received from publishers and edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
    Cassie
    Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank-you, Edelweiss, for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I thoroughly enjoyed this and feel like it’s an easy story to read in one sitting. Not because it’s a simple story but because it’s addicting.

The world is unique and so is the magic system. I've never read a book like this one, where the characters use animal bones and get strength and power from them depending on what animal it is they killed. I loved every minute of it.

This story is full of star-crossed
    chan ☆
    Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    i can see it now: me nutting for this cover so hard that i read this book almost an entire year before it's released... and then have to wait 2 years before the sequel comes out
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    6/12/19
    OMG, is this really happening? Am I actually loving this cover with cover models/character art? OMG I am!
    ---
    ...star-crossed lovers Ailith, a magical siren and soul-ferrier, and Bastien, her soulmate who's hell-bent on avenging his murdered father, are fated to kill one another.

Am I the only one who kind wants it to end with one or both of them dying? I don't know I just want something that is actually dark. Anime gets away with it all the time, I think books can do the same.
    ♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
    The artist Charlie Bowater who did the cover of this book is too good for this planet. This book could suck ass but I will make room for it on my shelves. 50 shades will just have to sit on the floor.
    ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
    Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc
    Real Rating: 3,5 stars
    Bone Crier's Moon tell us the story of three main characters: Sabine, Ailesse and Bastien.
    Sabine and Ailesse are best friends and part of a clan of Leuress, women who ferry the dead into the underworld or paradise. They must do it with the help of bones from animals and a sacred bone flute. If the dead are not ferried they become something like invisible danger.
    Bastien is a boy driven by revenge because his father was killed by a Leuress. And so our story begins.
    Even if
    Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
    THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OMG. I NEED.
    ellie
    Apr 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
    do you ever read a book's synopsis about how much better it would be if it was gay? Star-crossed badass gays on a murdering rampage? sign me UP

"Kathryn Purdie's new YA fantasy adventure series, Bone Grace—in which star-crossed lovers Ailith, a magical siren and soul-ferrier, and Bastien, her soulmate who's hell-bent on avenging his murdered father, are fated to kill one another. Book one is scheduled for fall 2019."

booknator
    Jun 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Ok but HOW stunning is this cover?
    Scrill
    Nov 19, 2019 marked it as dnf
    It's not that I didn't like this book, so much as I just wasn't into it. The world building was fantastic, but I just didn't care about the characters and the romance. I LOVED the sisterly bond/friendship between two of the MC's, but the romance just seemed like a given due to the soul-mate-yness as opposed to actual affection. I was never quite gripped by the story to actually get very far in the book, and then just had to put it down after a possession scene, which bummed me out because I was ...more
    Candace Robinson
    The cover is so gorgeous but as with a lot of fantasy lately, it just didn’t pull me in! Enemies to lovers is one of my favorite tropes ever so I did like that and I loved the uniqueness of the story! I just wish I felt more for the characters!
    Ashlee » Library In The Country
    I really enjoyed this! A coven of women who ferry the dead to the afterlife, forbidden romance, supportive friendships and a fantastic ending all make this book.

Bone Crier’s Moon and it’s stunning cover by Charlie Bowater is about Bone Criers (or Leuress) who use the bones of animals to strengthen their own abilities and senses. After they have collected the bones of three animals, they can perform their rite of passage and fulfill their purpose of ferrying the dead.

The only caveat? Their rite
    Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
    Jun 14, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
    Thank you HarperCollins and Katherine Tegen Books for the ARC.

I swear I will add any book to my TBR shelf that has a cover design done by Charlie Bowater because LOOK AT HER!
    𝒱𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇𝒾𝒶
    Well, this is a first. Two stars always felt too harsh to me, but I just couldn’t with this book.

It all stems from one very OBVIOUS thing that is lacking; character depth.

Who was Aileese—besides a Bone Crier/Siren—you ask? I HAVE NO IDEA. She was literally just some girl had to kill some guy to secure her role in her society of Bone Criers. No depth to her character at all. We got no backstory, no unique traits, no development, no nothing.

Who was Basiten—besides a wanted thief who also wanted
    Kelsey
    Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    WOW! Okay, wow. Where to start.

This book completely won me over. I had some trouble in the beginning because some of the descriptions and explanations were a bit wordy, BUT the world is just so cool that it doesn't matter!

This book is about a group of Leurress who are charged with ferrying the dead into Tyrus' underworld or Elara's eternal paradise. The Leurress ferry the dead once a month and they used a sacred bone flute to call them. If the dead are not ferried, they become restless and
    ~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
    Jun 13, 2019 marked it as unreleased-tbr
    the cover is GORGEOUS and HELLO THAT DESCRIPTION!! The magic system sounds unique and I love weird, cool magic systems.

But to be honest... it had me at forbidden love and Heaven and Underworld <3

description
    Jen
    Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
    **I received this as an egalley from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

I know this book doesn’t come out for quite some time (March of 2020), but I was in a bit of a rut when it came to what I wanted to read next. I knew it wanted to be some sort of fantasy but I just wasn’t sure until I came across this on Edelweiss. What definitely got me was the bit about Ailesse having to kill her soulmate in order to become a Ferrier, only to be kidnapped by him instead, and
    Anja H.
    Jun 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-anticipated
    THIS COVER!!! IT’S EVERYTHING!
    Anyone else immediately recognized this as Charlie Bowater’s art? My favorite!
    Fae Crate
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Absolutely beautiful! The world building, the system of magic and collecting of bones, everything was very well thought out. I was in this book’s grip after the first page. The descriptions of these characters were so brilliant and vibrant. I even loved our villains because of their complexities! Love love LOVE.
    ♠ TABI ♠
    Jun 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: edelweiss
    hi hello this is a stunning cover and I want it as a 10ft poster please
    Romie
    Jul 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    this cover could punch me in the guts and I'd say thank you ma'am, I'm happy to be of service
    Jackie
    Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
    This had a strong start but then slowly turned into your run of the mill fantasy that had me go from singing it’s praises to struggling to make it to the end.

“The Bone Crier” follows the mythology of la dame blanche , women in white whose siren song lures their soulmate to their deaths, and Aileese has been preparing her whole life to complete her rite just as Bastian has been waiting to avenge his father and on a bridge under a full moon brings them together setting off a chain of events that
    Mary Nguyen (fox & wit)
    I wasn’t sure if I loved this book bc there’s quite a few issues I had with it. But that ending was awesome and I’m a sucker for enemies to lovers AND star crossed lovers.

No rating on this one but some thoughts.

The world building for this book leaves a lot to be desired. I can’t envision anything about the setting except massive expanses of trees, a catacomb tunnel system, and I guess rock formations? Do they live in a city surrounded by expanses of nature? Do they live in a port town? Like
    Kilikina
    I cannot get over how glorious I am hoping & praying this book will be. Absolutely in my top 5 most anticipated books for 2020!!!
    shre ♡
    Jul 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
    charlie bowater could spit in my face and i would thank her.
    Kayla
    I thought this came out in 2019 I've been lied to ...more
    Morgan
    Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: arc
    ARC provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

2.5

I have to start this review out by saying that there’s a love triangle in this, and it’s definitely the icky sort... I feel like when it comes to love triangles, the only chance I might like it is if our main protagonist has to choose between two equally great people. In this one, like so many others, it’s a choice for the love interest of the main protagonist, so NOPE!

I really enjoyed the whole bone witch
    Sheila Loosevelt
    dnf’d at 56% (this review does contain slight spoilers)

I received an advanced copy of this novel from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts expressed in this review are my own.

I read quite a chunk of this book, hoping for something outstanding to happen that would make reading the rest of the story worth it; unfortunately, that moment didn’t come. I don’t think that this is a bad novel by any means, but rather that it doesn’t really stand out from the rest of YA Fantasy. The
    Dany
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: fantasy
    Love isn’t love if you never show it.

Bone Crier's moon by Katherine Purdie is the first book of her duology "Bone Grace". Following Bastien who's father was killed by a Bone crier and he seems revenge and Aileese who is a bone crier who's meant to kill her "Soulmate" as a rite of passage.
    Love isn’t love if you never show it.

Let's start with the world building.

The world building is scatteredly inspired from Sirens , Mermaids and wailing women. Bone Crier's are a women only gang who help the souls
    Lisa
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019, arc
    A whirlwind chase involving fated loves, bone magic and twisted secrets!

Certain parts were drawn out, and I always struggle to follow fight scenes (of which there were many). But I loved the friendships - especially between Sabine and Ailesse - and never quite knowing what would be revealed next!
    « previous 1 3 next »

• The Shadows Between Us
    • Tweet Cute
    • Reverie
    • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
    • Beyond the Black Door
    • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
    • Thorn
    • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
    • The Stars We Steal
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
    • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
    • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    • Only Mostly Devastated
    • Eight Will Fall
    • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • Winterwood
    Kathryn is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the BURNING GLASS series. Her love of storytelling began as a young girl when her dad told her about someone named Boo Radley while they listened to the film score of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Kathryn is a trained classical actress who studied at the Oxford School of Drama. She also writes songs on her guitar for each of her stories and shares ...more

Bone Grace (2 books)
    • Untitled (Bone Grace #2)