Start by marking “Thank You, Omu!” as Want to Read:
Thank You, Omu!

Thank You, Omu!

A generous woman is rewarded by her community in this remarkable author-illustrator debut that's perfect for the Thanksgiving season, perfect for fans of Last Stop on Market Street.

Everyone in the neighborhood dreams of a taste of Omu's delicious stew! One by one, they follow their noses toward the scrumptious scent. And one by one, Omu offers a portion of her meal. Soon
Published October 2nd 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Omu!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Omu!

Start your review of Thank You, Omu!
David Schaafsma
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Omu means "queen," in Igbo, which is the tradition from which Mora writes. It has the shape of a folk tale, somewhat like Stone Soup in that food makes community. Omu is a grandmother who makes a rich Igbo stew and everyone that passes by and smells it cooking and nocks on her door gets a helping. . . until it is gone, alas. Though they all come back in the end to share their food with her, too. It's a about gratitude, helping others, sharing.

Great collage art, colorful. I read this because
Manybooks
Although the accompanying illustrations of Oge Mora's Thank You, Omu! would generally and aesthetically speaking be just a bit too cartoon-like for them to be considered absolute personal favourites, I have indeed been more than pleasantly surprised at how much I have visually enjoyed them and how the pictures both colour scheme and general descriptiveness wise do indeed work very well with the author/illustrator's presented verbal narrative, how glowingly both text and images mirror and reflect ...more
Calista
Omu is cooking a delicious thick red stew - YUM! It’s so aromatic that people in her building come to her door asking what she is cooking. Then people off the street come by. Being generous, Omu gives each of them a bowl of stew. They love it. The problem arises when she goes to eat her dinner, nothing is left. It’s the best red stew she has made and she is sad she did not eat it. All those people bring dinner to her and they have a large community meal together and it’s the best meal Omu has ...more
Brenda Kahn
This exuberant debut is sure to be a favorite read aloud. It's sort of a reverse Stone Soup in that Omu gives and gives and gives until she has no dinner for herself. The crisp collages help propel the story of a generous soul.
Chance Lee
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
During this past summer, I had the pleasure of listening to Oge Mora read the book and discuss her art. She was such a delight, and so is this story. It's a beautiful book and her lovingly made collages give much depth to her sweet characters.

Abigail
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New Picture-Books About Generosity & Gratitude
Omu cooks her delicious red stew all day in this delightful debut picture-book from author/illustrator Oge Mora, generously offering a portion to everyone who follows their nose and knocks on her door. When she finally reaches her own dinnertime however, she discovers that there is nothing left in her big pot. What will she do? Fortunately, her generosity finds its response in the people with whom she has shared, people who want to say: "Thank You, Omu!"

Omu, which apparently means "queen" in
La Coccinelle
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Thank You, Omu! could easily be read as a companion story with any of the various versions of "Stone Soup" out there. While the plot is a bit different, the message of generosity is similar.

Omu makes herself a big pot of thick red stew for her dinner. But the stuff smells so good that, throughout the day, people arrive on her doorstep wanting to know where that delicious aroma is coming from. She feels she has stew to spare, so she gives everyone a taste. By the end of the day, however, she's
Mrs. Krajewski
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone needs a book like this sometimes. ...more
Laura Harrison
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Beautiful, kind and original. One of the nicest picture books of 2018.
Cecelia
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanksgiving may now be past in the United States, but there’s no end date on sharing, giving thanks, and giving back. Author-illustrator Oge Mora’s debut picture book Thank You, Omu! is a gorgeous soon-to-be classic. It is perfect for year-round reading, and holiday gifting.

The thick red stew that Omu is making will surely be the best dinner that she has ever eaten. It smells wonderful and the taste test promises great things. However, when she sits down to read while she waits, the scent of
Amy!
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE these illustrations, and the story is so warm and loving.
Lori
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Omu made a stew. Throughout the day people drawn by the smell knocked on her door, and she shared. When it was time to eat her meal, none was left. When another knock came, Omu went to the door to say there was no more stew, but instead those with whom she shared had brought a meal to share with her. The illustrations are nicely done.
QNPoohBear
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
One day Omu cooks a bit pot of thick, delicious red stew for her dinner. The delicious smell wafts down through the apartment building... out the street... and soon there's a knock on Omu's door. Before she knows it, the stew is gone to her neighbors! The next knock on the door brings an unexpected surprise.

This is a sweet story about giving selflessly and receiving in return. Omu, the igbo word for queen, or the term the author/illustrator used for her beloved Nigerian grandmother, reminds me
Collage illustrations and poetic text show exactly why this book about sharing won a Caldecott honor.
Emily
Omu, queen in Igbo, feeds her neighborhood and in return is fed. Very sweet, beautiful collaged illustrations.
Robin
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated tale of sharing and nurturing community.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
community, sharing, kindness
Amanda
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've been reading all the 2018 picture books I can, including nominations for best picture book here on Goodreads. Thank You, Omu! was not nominated, but it's my favorite of all I've read so far. I thought it worthy of taking a moment to mention.
What I love about it:

Debut author Oge Mora is also the illustrator, I love her collage art. I enjoy looking closer at the layers that make the pictures, and it reminds me of a project I did with my youngest when he was in 3rd grade.

It's not too long
Sandy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that is a happy, good feeling book! It definitely put a smile on my face! As Omu reads a book, she lets the thick, red stew that she just made for her dinner simmer on the stove.

Soon, she gets a knock on the door and it’s a visitor who has smelled her delicious stew from down the hallway. Omu offers the small boy some of her stew which he eats (picture shows him licking the bowl).

All day long, the stew simmers on the stove, the delicious smell soaring through the air, drifting over the
Dolly
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Using acrylic paint, china markers, pastels, patterned paper, and old-book clippings, the author has created collage illustrations that will entertain readers young and old alike.

The narrative describes how the kindness and generosity of one venerated member of the community comes back to her in kind.

I love how the neighbors are nameless, yet encompass a wide range of professions and backgrounds.

Overall, it's a fast read and shows how sharing our blessings with others can come right back to
Becky
First sentence: On the corner of First Street and Long Street, on the very top floor, Omu was cooking a thick red stew in a big fat pot for a nice evening meal. She seasoned and stirred it and took a small taste.

Premise/plot: Omu is making a thick, red stew. It smells AMAZING. The smell is so amazing that it brings people--one at a time--to her home. Omu begins to share her meal. Will she have enough for herself?

My thoughts: I really loved this one. Omu is such a sweet, generous soul. And as she
Jessica
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omu is the Nigerian word for "queen", but in the author's family it was used as her grandmother's name. In this story Omu cooks a big pot of delicious, fragrant red stew. As neighbors and workers in the neighborhood smell it they all come knocking, and she gives each of them a bowl. By the end of the day when her meal time comes around her stew pot is empty, but suddenly all of those who've received knock upon her door and bring their own foods to feast upon. It's a lovely story with beautiful ...more
Beverly
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
This was a lovely, sweet story of generosity, and then being thanked for that generosity. I really liked the folk-style illustrations rendered in acrylics, china markers, pastels, patterned paper, and old-book clippings. The people's faces were expressive, and the artwork had an appealing wackiness to it, with all the different angles and perspectives.
Lynn
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this debut author's picture book about generosity and community. Told with a lovely folk tale rhythm, this has the feel of a classic tale and will make a perfect read aloud.

The collage illustrations are absolutely terrific and a joy to experience along with the story. Done in warm mellow tones with many fascinating perspectives, they really match the feel of the story.
Rebecca
This book got a Caldecott Honor this year (debut author/illustrator!) and is just as good as everyone says. Food, generosity, diverse characters, community helpers, and a sort of Stone Soup twist at the end make for an all-around winner.

"The collages for this book were created with acrylic paint, china markers, pastels, patterned paper, and old-book clippings."
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I love this story. The message of kindness and generosity is timeless.
KC
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pot of stew makes the entire neighborhood hungry!
Jory
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this beautiful picture book about sharing food with neighbors. All that I aspire to lies in these pages. :) So happy it won some ALA awards this week!
Claudia
I had this book in the car and my 6th grade Grand picked it up, attracted like I was, by the colorful cover...she read it silently, and then we talked...we both saw echoes of STONE SOUP, that old folk story of a community with next-to-nothing, coming together to share...but this Omu (Queen, as I learned) first shares with all who are brought to her apartment, following the smell of her red stew...until she discovers that she has given others all of her delicious stew. But never fear...Omu is ...more
edh
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Omu is cooking a delicious, thick, red stew for her dinner. But when neighbors come knocking, she gives away one bowl... then another... until her dinner is all gone! But there is a surprise waiting for Omu as the neighbors come back. Dinner is saved, and everyone is grateful for their gifts. A 2019 Caldecott Honor book.

• A Big Mooncake for Little Star