Start by marking “Suggested Reading” as Want to Read:
Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

In this standalone, a bookworm finds a way to fight back when her school bans dozens of classic and meaningful books.

Clara Evans is horrified when she discovers her principal’s “prohibited media” hit list. The iconic books on the list have been pulled from the library and aren’t allowed anywhere on the school’s premises. Students caught with the contraband will be stern
Published September 17th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Suggested Reading, please sign up.
Dave Connis Hey Cherie!

Hey Cherie!

I haven't read Ban This Book, but after reading the summary the themes and plot points sound very similar. It may just be the MG counterpart to Suggested Reading. I'll have to read it now. Thanks! :D(less)

Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"Books are wild things. You can't tame them. People are wild things. You can't tame them, either. Put those two together and you can't know what's going to happen..."
Suggested Reading by Dave connis is a wonderful story about the power and magic of books.. It's truly a love letter to book lovers and feels so right. My heart is so happy and full after reading this and I just can't help but be grateful to the warm and fuzzy feelings I get from this books.

After a list of over 50 books are mysteriously
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC from Harper Collins Canada in exchange for an honest review.

When I first heard about this book at the HCCFRENZY event, I was so disappointed when I didn’t receive it in my goodie bag but like always, Harper comes in clutch and gave me a copy for a review and I can’t thank them enough. Suggest Reading easily made it to the top books I have read in 2019 with its addictive story about Clara who loves reading more than you and I. Her passion for books, literature, and words will
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, ya, 2019
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Clara lived and breathed books. 😉 She had this unbridled passion for the written word and the power it possessed. Therefore, when she inadvertently learned that many of her favorite books were being placed on a "prohibited" media list, she decided to fight back, and created an underground library. However, as word of the Unlib spread, Clara found herself wondering if the rewards outweighed the risks.

This was a book about a rabid reader, which celebrated t
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

Ah, who doesn't love a book about books, right? Right. This was pretty enjoyable, so let's get to it!

What I Liked:

• Books are basically the hero of the story. Sure, Clara and others have a role in ensuring that they get into the hands of those who need them, but they're just the vessel. Books are making the true difference here.

• Clara isn't always likable. "Wait, what?" you as/>
Giulia
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
"Books illuminate something differ for all of us. Books change lives because they’re matches."

TW: homophobia, abuse, attempted suicide

This was a pleasant and enjoyable read with a touch of darkness I did not see coming.
I gotta be honest, my expectations weren’t high for this book – I just wanted to enjoy it, have a somewhat light read. And that was precisely what Suggested Reading offered, and then it also offered some more.

I thought this book particularly appropriate to read during the B
Neville Longbottom
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A private school in Tennessee bans over 50 books from being taught or being available in the school library. Clara Evans, an avid reader and library volunteer, is horrified by this. Some of the books on the list have greatly impacted her life. Before the school can get rid of the books, Clara takes them and starts her own underground library, dealing banned books to the other students.

The first three quarters of the book probably would’ve been a 4 star book for me. I was really enjoying it even
Nichole
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

What a fun read! Such a great concept!

A book about books. Something all of us bookworms can relate to and enjoy!

I found Suggested Reading refreshing. With a well written plot and a character driven story it was a light-hearted read that touches on some heavy topics.

Clara's passion for reading and her love for books was admirable. By starting the locker library she shared this love with others and impacted their lives greatly. What C
Suzi Evelyn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.49 (2.5 if goodreads would get their act together n give us half stars) stars

great ideas, poor execution
Max Baker
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

Banned books have a rich and lustrous history of pinpointing things people are afraid of and then forcing them to confront said fears. I mean, just scrolling through the list of the most challenged books, it's easy to see why they people think they should be banned (it's mostly because sex is icky and authority figures should be blindly listened too). But the books that are challenged are also the most tho
Candyce Kirk
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review to follow soon!
Matthew
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connis expertly crafts a wonderful story about the cost of banning books and the risks worth taking.
Dylan
Mar 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
i need this...now???
FloeticFlo
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a day, while waiting for No Show Hurricane Dorian. (Side note: I am still so sad about the Bahamas! Sending out prayers and well wishes to them for what they endured.) Anyway, even though I joked to my husband that I was able to read this in a day because the words were big, it was really because of the short chapters and the writing style. Connis has a simple, direct writing style. It's just so easy. I found myself flipping page after page and hardly realizing how many had g ...more
Jenny Ashby
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The review promised that this book is a librarian's dream and the premise of a student standing up to book banning certainly sounded great. I liked that idea in Alan Gratz's Ban This Book so why not in this one as well? By the end I was reasonably satisfied with the execution and lessons learned, but we got off to a bumpy start for two reasons:
1. In talking to her librarian about her reasons for establishing Little Free Libraries (except they're called something else in the book), Clara asks t
Madison
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a librarian, I don’t need to be told about the benefits of reading - I see them every day. Suggested Reading is an ode to everything librarians stand up for. The right to read for pleasure, the right to choose your reading material, the right to free and unchallenged access to reading material that stretches and challenges the reader. I highly enjoying this book, as will all lovers of books, libraries and reading.

When Clara, a regular library volunteer, starter of a tiny library community sc
Aoife
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: katherine-tegen, 2019, a3e, a2

Clara believes passionately that books change lives. When her school quietly bans more than fifty novels, she decides she's not going to take it lying down and starts a secret library.

As a bookseller, I loved the idea behind this novel, that stories can connect people. I also love the dominoes theory; that something one person does can cause so many other things to happen, usually without the first person even knowing.

The characters were great in this
Joshua Springs
First, my review is in no way shaped by my undying belief that Dave Connis is one of the greatest human beings ever.

That being said, man can this dude write a book? Equal parts funny and heartbreaking and serious and light and swimming in meaning while sometimes not meaning that much but also everything. This book takes my favorite theme in Paper Towns and adds the external conflict of Fahrenheit 451, which is my favorite dystopian novel.

Man, I love this book so much. I lack the pro
Michelle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

I consumed this book like it was made of white chocolate Reese's. I've never seen a book written about banned books and the way this story talks about the phenomena while also discussing so many other important subjects is nothing short of brilliant. From page one, this book hooks you with vibrant characters that feel real and a plot that eerily sounds like something that has occurred.
Chelsea
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bookworm's (excuse me, book warrior's) dream! I loved all the great references to books, and the power they held for different characters in the story -especially the unexpected ones! I liked the writing, it was funny and very realistic for teens! The inside jokes and abbreviations had me smiling and sometimes laughing out loud. I liked that it got pretty real at the end, and the MC really questioned her own beliefs. It was deeper than a lot of YA novels. It was a little short on ...more
Karrie
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Living books, Clara rescues them when she learns they are going to be banned at her private school. I liked the way she started to question whether she was doing it for herself or for others - being right or sharing influential stories. The addition of more modern classics like Speak and Perks of Being a Wallflower alongside Catcher in the Rye was refreshing.

I know this is meant for a teen audience but all the nicknames and abbreviations I found annoying. Sometimes it felt a little preachy rath
Andria Sedig
I absolutely adored this book! It wasn't on my radar but was included in Once Upon a Book Club and I am so glad that it did because it's quickly become one of my favorites this year. Essentially, this book follows Clara as she runs a banned book library out of her locker to protest the school's new banned book policy. I loved all of the conversation about books and the power of words throughout this story and also loved the character growth throughout. What a great, powerful read.
Susan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've said this a few times lately, most recently when I reviewed His Hideous Heart and maybe I shouldn't fight it so much, but I do. I don't like talking about books from an educational standpoint too much. It isn't why I started Novel Lives. In fact, it is the opposite reason.

full review at Novellives.com
Eliza Cross
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
To see my full review visit my blog at https://elizaandherbooks.wordpress.co...
Shawn
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would! This book is definitely one of my new favorites!
Brianna Carrasco
DNF at around 25%
Matthew Hubbard
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emily
I have somewhat mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, a lot of the content was really good! On the other, some of the writing was... not-so-good.

Suggested Reading is about a high school senior and self-declared bookworm, Clara, who is shocked to discover that the prestigious private academy she attends has a new list of fifty banned books. When her complaints to the administration go unheard, Clara starts her own underground library of banned materials from her very own school locker. As the "U/>Suggested
Francesca
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during banned book week purely by accident but it ended up making it so much more impactful! So many banned books referenced in this novel. The author did such an amazing job tying those stories into his story. I’ve now added them all to my TBR list because I need to read them and feel what the main character, Clara, felt when she described how these books impacted her life!
FYI - had no idea Don’t Tread On Me by Lukas Gebhardt was a made up book until after I finished reading a
Colleen
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"History doesn't require anything from us. It doesn't even require us to know it. The Present? It requires our all."

I loved this book the moment it began. Anyone who was a bookworm growing up (or the library for their friends etc) can relate to Clara right off the bat. She begins the story by pulling and all-nighter right before the first day of school after waiting four years for a book to come out. I can tell you I immediately thought of the Harry Potter midnight releases that I always desperatel
Colline Vinay Kook-Chun
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started reading this novel, I knew I would love it. Not only does the story centre on a love of reading and censorship, but it also describes the emotions felt by the reader. Connis describes the reader’s experience when reading a beloved book – and it is perfect! The anticipation, the dread, the emotions. all are described as Clara (the main character) expresses her feelings when completing her current read.

Even today, book censorship can be an issue in some circle
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Untitled
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The City We Became
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Maker's Curse (Millennium’s Rule, #4)
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
“There was literally no nook or cranny of my life that hadn’t been guided by a book, and, for the most part, it had been an uninterrupted journey.” 0 likes
“And the queso? The only thing stopping me from putting that junk in a thermos and carrying it around with me was . . . Actually, that was a good idea.” 0 likes