Start by marking “The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970

The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970

In the modern era, the “beautiful book,” an art object in its own right, has become the key to the ongoing attraction of print publishing as physical books continue to distinguish themselves from the screen.

Author Martin Salisbury traces the evolution of the book jacket from its functional origins as a plain dust protector for expensively bound books to its elaboration as
Published November 21st 2017 by Thames Hudson

To ask other readers questions about The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970

Start your review of The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970
Hilary
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love dust jackets
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
After an introduction to the dust jacket, this book shows a collection of illustrators with two to four pages on each. I preferred this format to the last book which was a chronological look at the dust jacket. There are lots of illustrations, some full page, this is a treat to look through, I will be sad when it goes back to the library this really is a book I could look through again and again!

There were lots of my personal favourites, Tove Jansson, Harold Jones, Edward Bawden, Edward
Peter
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Art and book lovers
Just bought this today and worth every penny. Beautiful to look at and the associated writing is informative...
You know what? I think I shall read it now.

UPDATE

Took a week to read this as every time I came across a book by one of my favourite artists I had to go looking for a copy.

This is filled with some of the most beautiful book covers from 1920 to 1970 and with enough titles to last for some time.
Andrew
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book - and one that surprised me on several occasions not least of which was the size of it - considering the book celebrates book covers (well that is a surprise) but the fact that the books referred to as a fraction of the size of the book.

Also the book is true to for celebrating the covers - regardless of the contents and subject. Yes there are many famous titles and authors showcased but there are also many lesser know ones (after all the first image in the book you are
David
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was on display in the library, and I took one look and grabbed it! What an amazing and beautiful book. I think this book was inspired by the collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum, in any case, the author's bio says he's both a designer and teacher, and has written many books on illustration. Impossible to praise this book highly enough, and thanks to author and publisher Thames & Hudson for doing such a great job: 371 illustrations, in color, of the most gorgeous variety of book ...more
Juliana
Beautiful book profiling the illustrators of book covers and their work. Another addition to my collection on publishing history.
Tom Bentley
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is expertly designed, and has page after page of reproductions of book jackets of every genre. Some of the illustrators are household names (Edward Gorey), as are many of the authors. But others—author and illustrator—are probably only known to other book illustrators and people interested in the history of graphic design. Some of the images are fabulous, mingled with eccentric and clever hand-lettering and whimsical figures. Others are dark and sinister, others spare. The images are ...more
Yellowoasis
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Wonderful, rich exploration of some of the best dust jacket designers of the 20th Century. A feast for the eyes and incredibly informative.
Rosemary
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dangerous addition to any collection as it will inspire book lust. Beautifully illustrated with multiple examples for each artist discussed.
Michael
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hadn't realized the focus would be so much on British publishing, but it is entertaining enough to page through and look at some of the captions and admire the many wonderful photographs of book dust jackets. This is a beautiful book.

I was pleased my public library purchased it so I could borrow it for a while.

In the introduction, the author states that the Library of Congress has a significant collection of dust jackets. This is not, in fact, correct. An odd error.
Rachelle
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My husband picked this book up for me the other day because he said it had my name written all over it. This just goes to show that (a) he knows me (at least a little bit) and (b) he does love me (actually quite a lot).
Jeff Lewonczyk
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is essentially a catalogue of beautiful books that I would like to own, and therefore a completely irresponsible thing for an obsessive book-buyer like me to read, but it's just so lushly illustrated, so beautifully presented, and the short artist bios so crisp and enjoyable, that I couldn't help myself. Sigh.
Jennifer Strong
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book to read and look at. I read the first 75 pages and then skimmed the rest, reading sections that looked appealing.
Alyssa
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would absolutely love to see a dust jacket exhibit in a museum. Book covers are my favorite type of art!
Geoffrey
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars.

Fascinating look at illustrated dust jackets and the people behind the artwork.

In addition, it makes you want to read so many old books!

• Reading Art: Art for Book Lovers
  • What We Keep: 150 People Share the One Object that Brings Them Joy, Magic, and Meaning
  • Creative Pep Talk: Inspiration from 50 Artists (Gifts for Artists, Inspirational Books, Gifts for Creatives)
  • Ms Ice Sandwich
  • Les lois du ciel
  • Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)
  • 自殺サークル
  • 春の庭 [Haru no niwa]
  • The Red Tree
  • Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
  • Type Matters!
  • It's Not About the Broccoli: Three Habits to Teach Your Kids for a Lifetime of Healthy Eating
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978
  • Hairy Who? 1966–1969
Martin studied illustration at Maidstone College of Art (now part of the University of the Creative Arts) in the 1970s. He has worked as an illustrator and painter ever since. In recent years his work has focused mainly on the area of children’s book illustration, painting for exhibition and writing on the subject of drawing and illustration.

Martin regularly contributes to Artists &