Start by marking “Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over” as Want to Read:
Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over

Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over

Actor Michelle Pfeiffer. Humorist Garrison Keillor. Actor Joaquin Phoenix. Musician Lisa Marie Presley. Actress Glenn Close. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Actress Rose McGowan. Each of these well-known people has more than fame in common; each was born or raised in a cult.

We think of cults as bizarre, inexplicable, or otherworldly places that only strange p
Published October 3rd 2017 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Escaping Utopia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping Utopia

Start your review of Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After reading a book a while back about Jim Jones and the People's Temple, I've had a weird fascination with cults. This was a really interesting book that talks about the definition and attributes of a cult as well survivor stories. I was amazed at all the similarities from completely different cults. I've always thought that cults were just religious, but in this book I learned that cults can be a business, political group, or really any group that fits within this definition:

"A cu
Diane
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a strong book on what it's like to grow up in and escape from a cultic group. I like Lalich's model for the most part (though I think Lifton's is actually a better model of understanding cults) and really resonated with the way that she mixed in personal accounts from survivors along with her more academic approach. She also did an excellent job of noting when she was speaking from personal experience vs. when she was speaking about knowledge gleaned through her research.

• The God Delusion
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Bridges: Ministering to Those Who Question
  • How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
  • Dear Scarlet: The Story of My Postpartum Depression
  • Sisters
  • Stargazing
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works