Start by marking “Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over” as Want to Read:
Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over

Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over

Actor Michelle Pfeiffer. Humorist Garrison Keillor. Actor Joaquin Phoenix. Musician Lisa Marie Presley. Actress Glenn Close. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Actress Rose McGowan. Each of these well-known people has more than fame in common; each was born or raised in a cult.

We think of cults as bizarre, inexplicable, or otherworldly places that only strange people inhabi
Published October 3rd 2017 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Escaping Utopia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping Utopia

Start your review of Escaping Utopia: Growing Up in a Cult, Getting Out, and Starting Over
Laurel
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was able to attend a group session with the author, and immediately listened to her book. I love that it's called “Escaping Utopia,” because the members of cults always think they are in Utopia, the ultimate and best place to be, but it can end up being a place of torture and hell for the members. I loved being able to hear all of these stories, and as somebody on the road to recovery from a cult, I wish these people health and healing moving forward. It's a beautiful world outside the group!
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
After reading a book a while back about Jim Jones and the People's Temple, I've had a weird fascination with cults. This was a really interesting book that talks about the definition and attributes of a cult as well survivor stories. I was amazed at all the similarities from completely different cults. I've always thought that cults were just religious, but in this book I learned that cults can be a business, political group, or really any group that fits within this definition:

"A cult is a grou
Diane
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a strong book on what it's like to grow up in and escape from a cultic group. I like Lalich's model for the most part (though I think Lifton's is actually a better model of understanding cults) and really resonated with the way that she mixed in personal accounts from survivors along with her more academic approach. She also did an excellent job of noting when she was speaking from personal experience vs. when she was speaking about knowledge gleaned through her research.

Richard Turner
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. A book I will be regularly recommending. One of the best cult books out there.

• Pumpkinheads
  • Boy Erased: A Memoir of Identity, Faith, and Family
  • Stargazing
  • Sisters (Smile, #2)
  • Guts
  • 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works
  • Gender Queer