Start by marking “Alpha Barman (J.T's Bar #1)” as Want to Read:
Alpha Barman (J.T's Bar #1)

Alpha Barman

(J.T.'s Bar #1)

Jake Tyler walked out of Covert Ops two years ago, a devastated, broken man after he discovered his sister brutally murdered by her husband, Riley. Since then he’s found a kind of peace running a rural bar. The last thing Jake Tyler expects is his former team to turn up with grim news. Jake’s ex-brother-in-law has escaped from prison and is heading Jake’s way. The team is ...more
Published November 24th 2016 by Sue Brown's Stories

Start your review of Alpha Barman (J.T's Bar #1)
Gigi
While I really liked the blurb for this one, it wasn't able to deliver the hot-covert-ops action like I had hoped. The covert ops group basically sat around the bar, holed up protecting Jake from an escaped felon, and gossiped about their love lives. This set up the future stories for the series, but it did nothing for me. At about 50% my hope was for some hot-and-steamy make-up sex, but it was unremarkable and a little awkward. There is one more sex scene, but it didn't bring the heat.

This one
Erth
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being part of a covert team means you live in each other's pockets and you become a family. In Jake and Riley's case they even became brother-in-laws. And life was perfect until it wasn't. Jake found Riley standing over the dead body of his sister holding a bloody knife. In that instance everything changed for them and the team. Now it's years later and an accident has freed Riley to an escape from prison and everyone is positive he's headed to Riley!

Friends, ex-lovers, and murderers seem to be
Simone
Audiobook:

It's not Greg's fault that I didn't really like this book, he did an amazing job as always and at least I could enjoy listening to his voice.

I hope you will enjoy the story more than I did, but if the next book in this series will be out on audio and Greg will be the narrator, I will still gonna listen to it.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Gods, what an obnoxious book. I've read some Sue Brown before, and I can't help but wonder if this is some kind of rerelease from an older book or something....but there's some writing incompetence here that I don't recall from her other books. The characters, especially Jake, are horrible. His motives make very little sense to me. As does the fact that he's supposedly some highly trained, kickass killing machine but in the span of 24 hours, he falls off a barstool and lightly sprains his ankle, ...more
Amanda
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm anticipating a bunch of alpha males with overdosed of testosterone and some good suspense/action. But this book didn't really deliver on the suspense and action front. Right from the beginning, I felt like being thrown into a middle of a series, even though as far as I know there isn't a prequel. I feel a bit disconnected and having a hard time understanding the team dynamic and their relationship.

The main plot of the story, which is Jake's sister being murdered by her own husband, Riley,
Ami
Filled with repeat arguments, flimsy murder case (where is the motive?!), villain that pretty much came out of nowhere and that case was solved about 2/3rd of the book without ANYONE ever really did a good investigation out of it, instant-love for the secondary characters...

... plus these bad-ass guys pretty much only sat down at the bar doing nothing while apparently the villain was able to track them without lifting a finger.

B.O.R.I.N.G.
Cadiva
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5*

This is one of those books where I can't put my finger on just what it was didn't work for me but there was definitely something.

I didn't feel the chemistry between the two main characters at all, the plot made little sense and was over and done with by 80% only for a new threat to appear out of nowhere and the rest of the supposed special ops team felt under developed.

There's a massive lack of action for a book that's supposed to be about a team of highly trained alpha males and the ex
Viki Evans
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it

I loved the cover

I loved the blurb

I however didn't love this. I expected a lot more from this,more action, suspense and mystery but it fell extremely far from the mark. It felt flat and lifeless and I so love a good action book,I was so disappointed x
Nat ReadingAllNite
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, m-m
I did some proofreading for this book and an ARC was provided to me by the author for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion. A review was not a requirement.

I really enjoyed this story, especially since it seems like it could be a series starter. I'm a sucker for military and mercenaries anyway. JT, now known as Jacob Tyler, walked away from his team after a personal tragedy. One of his team, Mitch, was also his boyfriend and he too was left behind. Two years later, Mitch and the
Kristy Maitz
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am not impressed with the story plot even if we get a pulling start. My main problem with it was the fact that Jack or J.T. best friend Riley is charged for killing the love of his live Sharon and nobody believes him even if he is telling everyone that he did not do it.

So times pass and the whole story plot circles around the fact that Riley really did not kill Sharon.

I don't know why but somehow the whole story developing looks ridiculous to me.
Coco.V
Aug 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (8/17/2019)! ...more
Daniel Mitton
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews. Rated 3.5 out of 5.0 Love Bytes.)

I really like this author, and honestly have enjoyed everything I’ve read that she has written. This start to a new series was also enjoyable, but a little bit unexciting in my opinion. I liked it, but I got to the end, which has a line which will lead directly into the next book, and I didn’t have any strong feelings on whether or not I would grab the next one when it comes out. I’m kind of middle of the road on this
MillsyLovesBooks
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
*** REVIEW 3.75 ***

This is my first Sue Brown read and I'm a huge fan of M/M books, so love finding new to me authors.
The Cover is great with a good strong Blurb and i was really looking forward to this book. I enjoyed all the characters but felt this book was missing something. The plot and story line were good, very well written i just feel it could have been longer maybe more of a back story it just felt a little rushed. Is that to say i didn't enjoy it well that would be a NO i did enjoy
Christine
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, m-m-read
I really enjoy this author but I had a bit of trouble with this one. I'm not sure what the problem was cause I liked the characters but the story just felt off. The who done it felt rushed, Mitch & Jake were sparking but not much of a fire imo. I wanted to see more of the secondary characters so the 2nd book is a must.
Candice
Ummm....

photo tumblr_llxl9oItHx1qii6tmo1_500_zps659badbe.gif

I won't be reading on in this series.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
If there were a definition for the phrase “sexual tension” it would most surely be found in author Sue Brown’s latest release, Alpha Barman. Not only is this story loaded with testosterone fueled action, it is also a glorious window into the tight bonds formed between military-like units that are set up for the sole purpose of extraction and protection. Yes, they may have to kill in order to keep the good guys safe, but these are men who take their roles seriously and who redefine the idea of “ ...more
Roxs Reads
This was my first read by Sue Brown. The blurb really attracted me; I love military style, action, covert operations and sexy alpha men interested in M/M. This book kept my attention because I was really expecting some very exciting action to happen and a major sexual explosion between Jake and Mitch. I kept waiting but when it finally came, it fell short for me.

This storyline had so much potential so I was very disappointed that it didn’t deliver for me. I felt the first half where the team is
Sara
2 Hearts

This didn’t work for me and that makes me sad because this author is traditionally one that I really enjoy.

I’ll keep it simple.

I didn’t like the way Jake left Mitch. You don’t have a relationship with someone for two years and walk away without a word or a look back. That didn’t sit well with me regardless of Jake losing his shit over the murder of his sister. Just, no dude. Their reunion was full of repeat arguments that should have been put to bed with at least the third go ‘round.
Joyfully Jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

2 stars

Alpha Barman was something of a chaotic frustration to review. On the surface the story is basic and the type of thing I like — guy runs from pain only to be dragged back into confronting everything he tries to abandon. But too many characters, a frankly boring plot, and too little depth made for an unsatisfying read. The story moves quickly enough for the first half, and while it drags considerably during the last chapters, there is a general resolution to most of
Becky
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read - nothing too taxing (there was an element of whodunnit, but no real suspense), but the range of secondary characters were what really made this - it was almost like a team love affair, not just the two MC. Although this story was well wrapped up the last sentence (literally) set up book two, which I would read.
Julia Talbot
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super exciting read, and y'all know me. I'm as sucker for a black ops team with a cast of hundreds... Yum. And more to come!
Roger - president of NBR United -
Jake Tyler left his covert ops Job when he believed that his partner (work and not relationship) and best friend, Riley, killed Jake's sister, who was Riley's wife. A couple of years later Riley escapes and Jake's former teammate come to give Jake protection the Leader of the team is Mitch who was Jake's lover. Sparks fly and it is proven the Riley didn't Kill Jake's sister and the one who did are out to kill him and Jake. interesting character make up the regular's in the bar and it end with ...more
Pati
Sadly this was very disappointing. Certainly not a special ops book that the blurb implied. Just a bunch of sitting around boo-hooing then a second of so called action that didn't deliver then back to the boo-hooing. SMH....
Susan65
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book and Audio review by The Blogger Girls

Review – Book:
I totally loved this story and the performance was magnificent. I have always been a sucker for alpha males in a special forces slash covert operations setting, but add on an established couple and I am in heaven. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading about guys meeting for the first time and finding their footing, but there is something special about a couple who have passed the honeymoon phase and are now learning to coexist in the real
Nora Phoenix
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romances
There’s a little bit of everything in Alpha Barman: a little action, a little side-plot, a little bit of stuff happening with secondary characters, and a little bit of romance. Well, the romance is a bit more than that, but not as big as one might expect. This is unlike what you would expect with alpha military men not a sexy read. The sex doesn’t happen till fairly late in the story, and even then it’s more of a side note.

One thing I didn’t fully realize from reading the blurb is that we as
JoAnna G
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not my first book by Sue Brown, and it won’t be my last.

What can be more sexy that a book filled with sexy Covert Ops men, that are ALL alpha, and big teddy bears where some people are concerned. I read this book in one go. The pacing and flow were good and I loved the whole lot of them. I can’t pick one favorite person in this book.

This book open with JT “Jake” leaving everything he has done over the past years after losing his sister Sharon and best friend/brother-in-law/co-worker
Carra
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're looking if a story where the tension is front and center right from the start, you've definitely picked the right title. With suspense, action and a second chance romance, Alpha Barman did definitely grab my attention, though there are some points about which I am on the fence.

I totally get why Jake left his team, and I really liked his character...though his adamant acceptance of Riley-his best friend-having killed Jake's sister (Riley's wife) based on circumstantial evidence-damning
Diverse
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alpha Barman I THINK is book one of what will be a series for Sue Brown. There are a lot of characters in play in this story. The story starts off with a wow and an OMG. Immediately we are assaulted with the feels. JT (Jake) is moving on from his Ops job to Wyoming where he opens a bar with a guy named Howie. But when he leaves he tells no one but his boss and leaves his lover behind and unknowing. OUCH!

That’s as much of the story as I will summarize. There’s a mystery to this story. Not a
Jenny Wood
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
After JT's sister is brutally murdered and he finds his brother-in-law at the scene of the crime, standing over her body... he gets him convicted and hits the road...leaving his team, his partner and his old life as a spec. ops commando, behind. Settling in a nowhere town Wyoming, he opens a bar and stays off the grid. Unfortunately, or fortunatley, his old team comes knocking when the brother in law escapes from prison, determined to find him.

Now, I dunno why everyone is reacting so negatively
Tammy
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Sue Brown's stories! This one just didn't do it for me. I think maybe a little rushed or not enough back story.
Jake and Mitch still have a spark but not much of a fire. The secondary characters is what made this book! The who-dun-it was a little unbelievable. Will I read the next one? You bet as I said at the beginning I love Sue's writing!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Last-Minute Walk-In (Irons and Works Novellas, #1)
  • The Found (The Finder #2)
  • Blade (Hell's Ankhor #1)
  • Made Marian Mixtape (Made Marian, #9)
  • Nuts (Ace's Wild, #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Levi's Rogues (Eternal Trio, #1)
  • Bio-Mechanical (Irons and Works, #4)
  • Forgotten: Luca (The Four, #1)
  • Scarification (Irons and Works #6)
  • Rushing In (Ace's Wild, #3)
  • Defender (The Lost Pack #1)
  • The Ballerino and the Biker (The Hedonist, #1)
  • It Was Always You
  • Kept in the Dark (Locke and Keyes Agency, #1)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Bitten (Terrin Pass Pack, #1)
  • Any Given Lifetime
Cranky middle-aged author with an addiction for coffee, and a passion for romancing two guys.

J.T.'s Bar (3 books)
  • Alpha Chef (J.T's Bar, #2)
  • Alpha Home (J.T's Bar #3)