Start by marking “Hey, Boy” as Want to Read:
Hey, Boy

Hey, Boy

In the classic style of The Giving Tree comes a touching debut picture book about the unfaltering love between a boy and his pet.

One day a boy finds a dog. He takes him home, already dreaming of the adventures they will have and the games they will play.

But when the boy gets hurt, he and his new best friend are separated. Will the boy be able to grow up quickly enough to g
Published May 2nd 2017 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Boy

Start your review of Hey, Boy
Jon Nakapalau
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me very much of The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.
Megan
A sad story about a young boy who finds a stray dog, then has to give him up for a while. Aging and responsibility are themes. Sure to make a pet lover a little teary eyed. Maybe more for grownups than kids.
Tasha
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A boy finds a dog and takes him home. The two of them love playing together, but then the boy gets hurt. The dog is taken to an animal shelter and someone else adopts him. The boy is told that he simply isn’t old enough yet to care for a dog. Happily, the boy still gets to visit the dog and tries to grow up fast enough to take him back. As time passes, the boy grows up and the dog ages. When the dog is finally too much for his adoptive family, the boy is given the chance to take him. This book i ...more
Kate
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
Daphne
Well, dang, I didn't expect to be crying at the library customer service desk today! Beautiful book, but not really for all children or for a typical reading session. This book is pretty specific (dog adoption, passage of life and aging including implied impending death) and also pretty mature, though the author handles all topics with grace and gentle honesty. It's just a lovely, moving book! ...more
Oh....em...geeee....I DARE you to try to read this without feeling like you got punched in the cry-socket. The librarian who chooses to read this in storytime would be a complete masochist. So beautiful, so tender, and so, so sweet. Excuse me, I'm gonna go have a good cry now... ...more
Tamara
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2018
Well that almost made me cry. Handles tough subjects honestly. Good for reading to your own child or one you're close to. Storytime only if you want to delve into tough & touchy topics. (Animal shelters, aging, death.) Simple, nice illustrations.

I did get confused on the first two lines.

"One morning, a boy met a dog."

"Hey, Boy. Do you want to see my house?"

I thought the dog was talking to the boy. :-D
Jo Oehrlein
A young boy finds a stray dog, but he's too young for a dog and a couple adopts the dog.
Luckily the boy can visit.
The boy vows to grow up as quickly as he can so that he can take care of the dog.
The dog ages and the visits change.
The couple with the dog gets too old to take care of him. The boy-now-man gets the dog at last. They can't really play anymore, but they talk of adventures together.
Lauren
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This book both destroyed my soul and made me feel warm and fuzzy at the same time.
Trey Burley
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-k-elementary
Improbable.
All but impossible.
Time line for the events in the book don't make sense.
The events in the book could never, ever occur in the real world.

See: it's a children's book and it's great.

This is optimism and hope for second graders and younger. If you have an animal kid in that age range they'll get this book and want to help every 'boy' out there. The classic art with a minimalist approach works very well with the restrained story.

Children's books shouldn't make you cry-and this one didn
Teresa
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
For anyone that hast loved a dog for its entire life should definitely red this endearing picture book. Simple illustrations that remind me of late 70's picture book styles. Beautiful and heart wrenching. ...more
Kaila
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, beautiful-books
this one was very close to making it on my "made me cry" shelf. ...more
Amber
Feels that I wasn't expecting. It's good, but it's sad. ...more
Faith Tydings
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: award-committee
Such a sweet, heart warming story.
Beautiful!
Alida
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hey, who started cutting onions in here? Loved, loved, loved it. The story and the illustrations compliment each other brilliantly. This one is for my personal collection.
Anie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rec-pic-books
Yep, this one made me cry. I can't fathom giving away a pet. This boy pining for his dog his whole life broke my heart. ...more
Dana
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sad, yet ultimately hopeful book. You will have a good cry and contemplate life and the passing of time. This book will resonate with adult readers but may confound children.
Melissa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the vein of The Giving Tree, but this beautiful tale shows the love and commitment on both sides!
Linda
Boy meets dog. Boy and dog are separated and forced to grow up apart from one another, aside from the occasional visit, with the boy vowing to return and pledging his undying love at the end of every visit. Eventually, the boy grows up to become a man, but he's so busy that he visits even less.

OK, I got a little panicked towards the end when I thought this was going to be a Giving Tree situation. But it's more like a Cats in the Cradle, with a happy ending.

(view spoiler)
Rachel
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
PreS - Gr 1- A true bond will last even when separated for great periods of time. Such is the case with the unnamed boy and dog in this touching picture book. When the boy adopts the dog, they dream of all the adventures they will have together. Sadly, an accident prevents this, and the boy has to give up the dog until he has "grown up". Time passes, then more, and just when you think there is no hope, their dreams come true. Strouse's plainspoken narrative chokes you up a bit as the boy grows u ...more
Cecilia
It is heavily implied the dog dies in the end, just to forewarn you.

On the surface it's sweet. You delve even a little into analyzing it, and its enraging.

That dog wasn't his. It was in the beginning. But once he took that dog to a shelter up until the other family had to give the dog up after the boy had become a grown-ass adult, that boy was simply a friend of the dog. You don't get to call an animal "yours" when you took it to a shelter, it literally lived with another family for the majori
Melanie
A young boy loves his dog very much. But when he breaks his arm playing with the dog his mother says the dog must go until the boy is old enough to fully take care of the dog. The boy is heartbroken. He dreams of growing up as fast as he can.

The dog-adopting family lets the boy visit the dog. The boy grew up, traveled, created a life for himself. One day he learned that the dog-adopting family were no longer able to care for the aging pooch. The boy was able to bring him home.

An amazing story, a
Brenda Kahn
This was featured in a display and I grabbed it b/c I'm a sucker for dog books. I thought I would love it when I first skimmed it. But when I sat down to read it… First off, the time-line. I don't know of many dogs that would live as long as the book seems to imply. Secondly, visiting a dog you've turned in? Is that even allowed? Seems like cruel and unusual punishment for both animal and boy to me. Thirdly, visiting the dog at the new owners? See previous sentence. While I love the sentiment, t ...more
Lynn
The simple outside cover looks like a book published years ago before the fancy artistic styles we have today, but dog lovers will not need fancy illustrations to attract them once they start reading.
We know immediately from the verso page, title page, and first page that the boy wants this dog! If you are trying to interest a youngster in this book, show them these pages right away!
I wonder who the intended audience is for this story?
Cat
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nat Whitman
Lovely printed illustrations decorate this delightful, and poignant pet book. Exploring separations, friendship, individuality and reunion, this book harnesses children's natural affection and curiosity surrounding "pet" as an idea.. Excellent read aloud to children ages 5-12. Would have been a five star, but, Parents seem to behave a little erratically ...more
Kimberly
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I mean, I think get the intention...but the book makes no actual sense and it's very depressing. ...more
Jacki
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This made NO SENSE to me. Even as a metaphor, I don't see how this book works at all. ...more
pati
This book evoked roiling emotions in me as I was reading. It was a bit too unsettling for me.
Tracy Clausen
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two stars for the lovely illustrations, but this is a picture book for adults.
« previous 1 3 next »