Start by marking “Hypercapitalism: A Cartoon Critique of the Modern Economy and Its Values” as Want to Read:
Hypercapitalism: A Cartoon Critique of the Modern Economy and Its Values

Hypercapitalism: A Cartoon Critique of the Modern Economy and Its Values

PAPERBACK ORIGINAL From the bestselling cartoonist of The Cartoon History of the Universe comes an explosively graphic take-down of capitalism

Bestselling “overeducated cartoonist” Larry Gonick has delighted readers for years with sharp, digestible, and hilarious accounts of everything from the history of the universe to the story of calculus. Now Gonick teams up with psychologist a
Published August 15th 2017 by New Press, The

To ask other readers questions about Hypercapitalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hypercapitalism

Stewart Tame
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
God bless Larry Gonick, for showing, not just that info comics could be every bit as fun and interesting as action and adventure titles, but that one could actually make a career doing them. I’ve been a fan of his work since the early days of The Cartoon History of the Universe, and I’m always happy to see new work from his capable pen (though I was a bit startled to see that his drawings of himself no longer resemble the mustachioed caricature from the Universe books. He’s gotten older, I suppo ...more
Ed Erwin
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, comics
Quite nice. Just by chance I read it at the same time as The Communist Manifesto: A Graphic Novel. I recommend that one only for the graphics, but this one has more recommendable content. Both books point out that unrestrained capitalism can lead to some bad outcomes, including exploitation of workers and destruction of the environment. But while CM recommends overthrowing capitalism, to replace it with something only vaguely specified, this book recommends more modest proposals. Capitalism has many b ...more
Ulysses
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three stars for the content, and an extra star for the good intentions. Probably most useful as gateway reading for people who have a vague awareness that the modern economy isn't adding up but haven't really thought about why, or about how to resist it.
Terence
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The authors are preaching to the choir on this one.

It is a good primer on capitalism (both pros and cons) and it's twisted offspring "hypercapitalism." Part II looks at ways to combat our current economic system.
KRKO
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a great intro to the problems of capitalism and how it infects near all aspects of contemporary life (from global politics to personal fulfillment). There's a nice overview of various facets of capitalism with supporting statistical evidence of how bad things have gotten.

However, while it's a nice overview, Gonick almost intentionally seems to disregard any cultural theory or political economy theory. This seems like a terrible oversight, considering discussions of the proble
Wendy Wagner
This book is incredibly funny! And trust me, you'll need a few laughs after this discussion of how capitalism works and how it affects people's psychology. Luckily, the last section of the book has some suggestions for how normal folks can help reign in the beast. Pretty inspiring stuff!
Kiona Meade
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read and some great advice on how to reduce hypercapitalism and increase happiness!
Amy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well-written, informative, and darkly humorous. The cartooning is fun, too. Highly recommended.
Paul
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hypercapitalism, Larry Gonick and Tim Kasser, 2018, ISBN 9781620972823

In graphic novel form, this book attempts nothing less than an accessible explanation of capitalism. It also shows how present-day worship of markets harms a person's well-being and the planet's health.

The five commandments of hypercapitalism are: Thou Shalt Consume, Thou Shalt Operate Globally, Thou Shalt Not Regulate, Thou Shalt Spend Less on Labor and Thou Shalt Privatize. How can the average person
Robert J D
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Extensive research shows, the more people & societies prioritize materialistic values, less they care about promoting well-being, fair treatment of others, & environment sustainability." As most US businesses continue "to carry on as usual, overselling their stuff, pumping up profits, holding down wages, dodging taxes & regulations"...making Americans "less happy & satisfied, and more depressed & anxious."
Alison Whiteman
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cartoons are great, there is a great deal of humor and if you like, one can color the book. Seriously, though, this book explains clearly why hyper-capitalism is not sustainable to the earth, or to the well-being of human relationships.
Jeff Buddle
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great and easy-to-read summation of what's wrong with the American economy today, how the grow-or-die capitalism that will eventually consume the planet and destroy humankind right along with it. There's only about 1% of us who can sluff off such a message cuz, no matter what happens, at least they'll be rich. Gonick and his co-author Tim Kasser spell it out for us in smart, witty, well-drawn panels. It's ground that Chris Hedges has covered before, and it's pretty grim.

Gonick and Kas
Scribe Publications
Like fish who don’t know they live in polluted water (because it’s everywhere), many people don’t know they live in economically, socially, and politically polluted societies. Hyper-Capitalism, in lucid prose and delightful graphics, pulls back the curtain with crystal clarity. I can’t think of a better book for young people to read as they chart their futures.
Barry Schwartz, Author of The Costs of Living, The Paradox of Choice, and Why We Work

This book explains much about how the world works, and why it increasing/>This/>Barry
Keen
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

“Reagan froze the minimum wage for 8 years, during which time inflation eroded its value by a third. Bush II did the same. The wage rose slightly under both Clinton and Obama, but its purchasing power is still lower than at any time between 1956 and 1985.”

This book can make for dark and depressing reading at times and yet throughout the duration the authors manage to maintain a playful, funny, provocative and insightful air that works really well to get the message across. This is a
Christian McKay
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're like me, and you get tripped up when arguing with people who are super pro-capitalism because you have a dearth of knowledge on the subject, this book is for you.
Dana Robinson
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Just the overview of capitalism is worth the price of admission and the references section is outstanding. I do wish that part II were a little more fleshed out, but there are entire books on that.
David Grassé
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An indictment of the modern corporatist/capitalist system in the form of a fun, entertaining, and informative graphic novel. However, this book is much more than an extended harangue against the capitalist system. This book also offers suggestions and recommendations for undermining, circumventing, and even changing the system for the better.
Highly recommended for all ages!
Sandra
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good, really depressing at times, excellent resources and citations.
Brent
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good overview of the ways in which our modern capitalist society has "over-reached" from its original goals and has morphed into a sort of values-destroying monster (represented in the book, appropriately, as a big bug monster). The first few chapters talk about how capitalism was originally intended to work, then it briefly talks about the key points that encouraged the formation of "hypercapitalism" in modern society. The authors go over what the key differences between hyper ...more
Lisa
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
As someone who has never taken an economics class, this book was pretty helpful, although I didn’t end up feeling hopeful about battles against capitalism.

While the text was useful in presenting new information and building on it, I found the illustrations pretty bad. They weren’t particularly well done, but more importantly, the authors have “a note on gender, ethnicity, and cartoons” to open the book where they explain “a cartoon book ...must use specific characters to represent those differe
Matt Benkarski
A comprehensive overview of capitalism as it’s “supposed” to work, the beast that is “hyper capitalism”, and ways in which we can resist or try to change the system as it currently exists. “Hyper Capitalism” is an excellent introduction to those unfamiliar with these topics and inspired some hope in me as an individual trying to participate less in the rat race, rat fuck, whatever rat analogy works best for you.
The creators end the book with the hope (it seems) that we as consumers and citizens
Naeem
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this a very effective introduction to capitalism -- the only one of about the 10 or so I have read. It has humor, it simplifies without losing the essentials, it has an excellent section on the every day forms of socialism and anarchy that oppose capitalism. I would consider it for an introductory course. But it has one fatal flaw: it demonizes capitalism whereas what I need is an understanding that capitalism has an ethical pull and draw.

If falls short on the structural conditions of h
Bradley
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big business type of guy. Financially, I understand how the world works, but that's just about it. Sometimes I need a visual representation to get me through some of the heavy topics of life. In this case, capitalism. Kasser's book is good. But with added illustrative representation by Larry Gonic, it's a fantastic read. It reminds me of Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics but with Capitalism. Kasser and Gonic take you through a history of capitalism in our country and around the worl ...more
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful graphic essay on how capitalism plays out in the United States that is backed by research conducted by Tim Kasser and others. I appreciated that the depressing first section was followed by an inspirational section on the paths forward that will remedy some of the problems presented at the beginning of the book. It seems to me that this would be an especially interesting book to assign to business students so that they are aware of the follies of unbridled capitalism and the limitation ...more
Larissa Stenzel
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish this were essential reading for all business students (and beyond). This is both easily digestible and packed with information on the rise of capitalism in our nation and our world. The authors demonstrate how the free market has gotten completely out of hand, going beyond what Adam Smith had described, coming into conflict with true democracy. They don't end it on a completely depressing note, as Part II explains various actions and movements people have taken and can take to counter the ...more
Mitch
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
A hodge podge of attacks on capitalism without understanding things like the seen and the unseen. BUT it does not make the normal mistake. Many of these type of books attack large companies' ability to manipulate government with the call for more government.
This book doesn't do that. This book focuses on things that an indvidual can do without government. Many of the things would be populare with Mr. Money Mustache.
Jake
It sucks that you can't express (completely valid) criticisms of capitalism these days without being told iF yOu HaTe iT sO MuCh WhY dOn'T yOu MoVe tO VeNeZuElA? Gonick and Kasser do a good job pointing out what's wrong (plenty), what's right (some), and what could be improved and how it can be done. It ends on a hopeful message, it really does, but I worry that because of the reasons specified in the book, the people who need to hear the message the most will never hear it.
Tanvir Muntasim
Lucid and concise take on the rampant growth of capitalism, but even more importantly, and unlike a lot of other books critical of capitalism, it provides some very helpful ways of challenging consumerism and what individuals can do about it. Pragmatic but optimistic, an excellent combination and highly recommended for young readers to have a balanced introduction to the dominant economic system. This is the type of YA book that I can support!
Christa Van
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful cartoon version of our economic system, the good and the bad. How does capitalism turn into hypercapitalism and what are the effects? What does it mean for consumers and workers? How can you combat hypercapitalism? Kudos to the authors for the beautiful feature about libraries that talks about sharing as a way of cutting consumerism. Overall, very informative.
Julesreads
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Stopped reading with about 50 pages left. Realizing Gonick’s use of the term “hyper capitalism” is to distinguish it from capitalism—as this isn’t just capitalism running its course—made the rest of the read hollow and at odds with my own findings of how this destructive, inhumane system functions. I wouldn’t recommend it, even though it presents its findings with clarity.
Larry Gonick (born 1946) is a cartoonist best known for The Cartoon History of the Universe, a history of the world in comic book form, which he has been publishing in installments since 1977. He has also written The Cartoon History of the United States, and he has adapted the format for a series of co-written guidebooks on other subjects, beginning with The Cartoon Guide to Genetics in 1983. The ...more