Start by marking “Ask, Tell” as Want to Read:
Ask, Tell

Ask, Tell

(Ask, Tell #1)

Where can you turn when you’re caught in a crossfire of war and passion?
Captain Sabine Fleischer is a skilled and dedicated U.S. Army surgeon deployed to a combat hospital in Afghanistan. She is also one of the thousands of troops who are forced to serve in silence because of the military’s anti-gay policy of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT).”
Usually driven and fo
Published January 15th 2017 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about Ask, Tell, please sign up.
E.J. Noyes Because stock photographs :)

And I thought that jawline far outweighed a rank insignia that would be partially covered by the title.

Start your review of Ask, Tell
Lex Kent
Second Read Nov 10, 2018: Anyone who knows me knows I don’t reread books often. Actually this is my first reread of 2018. I can only reread a book that I truly love and one that sticks with me and doesn’t want to let go. And this happens to be the perfect description for this book Ask, Tell. This is the best military romance I have ever read and one of my favorite medical romances period. If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would. Being almost two years since I read this I was wonderin ...more
Diane Wallace
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impressive read!
....so intense with so much more
Ted
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having served both before and during DADT, I can tell you it was a terrifying time to identify as anything other than straight in the military. This book is a really good look at what it was like during that time. I very much enjoyed it. An epilogue would have been icing on the cake, but shrug. I'll live.
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review of Ask, tell by EJ Noyes

This is a beautiful love story between two US army doctors (one higher ranked than the other) in times of the Don't ask don't tell policy. Written in first person and in present tense, it takes a couple of chapters to get used to but, despite the potential problems of this stylistic choice, the author pulls it off perfectly. This book goes beyond the typical lesbian romance, it has suspense, action, angst and there is even place for social and pol
Rosi
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's always difficult for me to rate books like this, because once I finish them I'm left with a bitter aftertaste. Books in homophobic environments, wether the family or at work, always demand that the protagonists renounce some personal option to move forward in a loving relationship. And this leaves me sad and spoils other positive aspects that the book may have for me.

In this case it has been like that, although the story is interesting, the characters are attractive and the situ
lov2laf
Everything about this book is superbly well done.

All of the characters are great, the military life is accurate, the chemistry between Sabine and Rebecca is excellent, dialogue is perfect, pacing is just right...and, in a super rare instance in lesfic, there is a good amount of drama that is actually realistic without becoming melodramatic.

Despite any intensity this book has, there is a light-hearted quality laced throughout it, too, due to the humorous banter between the deep frien
Farah ファラ
" War, what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing "

The only person / party who should be making money from death is The Undertaker (should not be confused with Mark William Calaway)

According to Goodreads, there are 127 reviews written for Ask, Tell. Almost everyone either:
z. loved it.
y. captivated by it.
x. wanted Sabine / Rebecca / Jana in their lives.
w. declared Ms.Noyes, a freaking genius.
v. hated one of the most horrible and inhuman policy e
Jem
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ask, Tell is about a lesbian surgeon's experience in Afghanistan in a combat hospital, in the dark days of "don't ask, don't tell", as she balances duty, friendships and forbidden love in a stifling and hostile environment. It's a very authentic portrayal that's rich in details, raw emotions and the visceral horrors of war.

Even more powerful is the protagonists' forbidden love story, which, while incredibly sexy, doesn’t get as much attention as I was expecting. (I don't mean the sex
Tiff
When you see a book get rave reviews, over an over again, you rush to read it right. Shoulda, coulda, woulda! I have had this book on my list of to-reads for months now, why the delay, I am not sure, but I am so glad I finally read this one. It was an amazing way to get 2018 started.

Captain Sabine Fleischer is an Army surgeon currently deployed in Afghanistan. Her days are filled desperately trying to save the wounded men and women that are serving in the war. When we meet Sabine she is struggl
Netty
The best book I've read this year so far, it's what us British call the dogs bollocks!

Still fucking brilliant the second time around 😁
Luce
4.75 stars rounded up to 5 stars

Excellent book! And a first time author at that.
Sabine is an army Captain and a surgeon, stationed in Afghanistan near the end of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT). This story is written in the first person - in Sabine's headspace. I haven't read many first person books - I'm not sure if it's because it's hard to do well or if it's just plain hard to do. Nevertheless, Noyes does it well and overall I liked it. Noyes really captures how I imagine i
Tere
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Audiobook update

Captain Sabine Fleischer is an Army surgeon serving under the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t tell’ (DADT) policy. Things are stale and disconnected from her girlfriend of nine years but nonetheless, Sab is taken aback when Victoria breaks up with her over a letter while Sab is deployed in Afghanistan. This sends her into a tailspin while only able to confide on her best friend because of DADT. While trying to cope with the loss, Lieutenant Colonel Rebecca Keane, her unit superviso
Agirlcandream
*Reread in to get full value out of her new release, Ask Me Again. Loved this book the second time through as much as I did the first. *

What a terrific read. I love military/medical dramas when they are done well and Ask,Tell hits all the high notes for me. First person is my least favourite point of view but seeing and feeling the events and emotions Sabine experiences makes the reader feel like they are right there, boots on the ground in a war zone. You can't help but admire her s
Marilyn
I really enjoyed this book. What a terrific debut novel. I am actually going to immediately re-read it, which is something I rarely do. I just can't leave these two characters behind just yet.

Update: I liked it even more the second time through. And I'm so impressed with her characters. Love them.

It was lovely to read this again. Definitely goes on my all-time favorites list with the sequel.
Pippa D
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Captain Sabine Fleischer is a general surgeon in the US Army working in a combat zone in Afghanistan. Dealing with the daily trauma that comes through her operating theatre, Sabine is clever, quick and funny. On her second rotation, she's an old hand, knows the game and plays it well.

Her best friend Mitch is also a surgeon in the same unit. Everyone suspects they're a pair, not knowing that it's safer for them to see that, as both Mitch and Sabine are homosexual. Set during
Linda J
Fascinating and educational read - at least for me who have no knowledge of the DADT policy in the US army (or even from where I am!)

Story was told in Sabine’s POV. Would have been more interesting if we get to read Rebecca’s thoughts/POV as well. Plot was well paced and many issues were laid out; infidelity, PTSD, same-sex relationship within the military.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Ask, Tell and look forward to reading Ask Me Again. Highly recommended

5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Sandra Andersson
I think this book broke me. I was literally crying for like an hour straight.

This is a beautiful yet heartbreaking story. Noyes writing is beautiful. I was as always put off when I read there's infidelity involved in this novel, I usually try to stay away from those sorts of stories. Thankfully though it isn't between the main love interests but in one of their past relationships.

The whole novel was beautiful written, the only thing that seemed off to me was how quickly and smoothly
Alexis
What a fantastic debut novel!

I absolutely loved this book. I read it more than a month ago and never got around to reviewing it considering I was dealing with a heavily sprained ankle at the time.
Perhaps when I re-read this (because I definitely will) I will add more details to this review but for now I will just keep it simple, you need to read this!

If there is one thing this book has taught me it's to be even more thankful to those men and women who serve in their country's military. I
Loek Krancher
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just awesome!

A very moving story about the struggle of the two main characters in probably the most difficult time for them in the military. The author gives a well-written, vivid portrait of their lives, their true feelings and their love. Two women who are dedicated soldiers and who are torn between love and serving their country. A beautiful story of friendship, loyalty, living a lie and loving in secret. I highly recommend this book.
Penny
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love when there's a hype surrounding a new author and, more importantly, when the hype is real.
And the hype about "Ask, Tell" is as real as they come. It really is.

The ending is a bit rushed, but by then I was so comfortable with Sabine's voice and engaged in what was going on that rushing things up didn't bother me as much as it tends to.

Also, I really liked Sabine. Which was essential since this is a first person narrative from her POV. Sabine is a darling ♥ ...more
Laure
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
🏳🌈👭📚👩❤👩🏳🌈

Review left on April 19th 2019 ....

-------------

Since a good friend of mine offered me the paperback of « Ask Me Again » (I still can’t find the words to say « Thank you » properly so, for now, I’ll go with : 🙃🙂😊🤗). I have no choice, I have to read it, right ?? (yeah, I know ... that’s such a sacrifice … LMAO) … But two years between the reading of a novel and its sequel is a long time gap so I decided to re-read « Ask, Tell » before starting « Ask Me Again »’s
Alex
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m not from the United States and I must say I’m not the greatest fan of their need to send military all over the world getting in other countries business, and maybe that’s why the military romance books aren’t my thing, and I usually avoid them. That said, I really liked this book, I could feel the longing between the MCs, even tough the description of the relationship and the actual time of the relationship was so short.
Lia A
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wonder why I've been so put off to read this. Maybe it was because the military part which made me imagine people deserted in desert lol.

But really.

It's fantastic. I should've read this sooner..... Noyes really killing it. I'll consider to re-read her other book too.
Margaret
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-words
Jane Shambler
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: army
WOW!

I understand that this is this author's first novel. Well £@@? me.... I seriously want more. It's excellent with a capital E. It's told by the main character. It's funny, it's serious, it will make you laugh, cry and seriously frustrated. It's really well written and you will fall in love with all the characters from Bec's to Amy/Liz. Please make your own mind up. But wow. The author puts you right there, so much so you can see it, smell it and feel it. I'd like to know what happens nex
Cristina
I loved this book. This is one of the best stories that I have read so far.
JulesGP
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reread on 10/17/19: So glad that I reread this pearl of a book before starting 2 and 3. About 100 Lesfic books under my belt since the original read and I’m in disbelief that this is a debut.

Ask, Tell is the story of an Army surgeon stationed in Afghanistan. Captain Sabine Fleischer and her colleagues operate and stabilize soldiers who are brutally injured in combat. She is also a lesbian during DADT. It’s important, not just because this story is a kind of romance, but because the s
Catherine
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so very in love with this book! I loved Bec & Sabine they were such a perfect couple.

Noyes just captured the feeling of helplessness that these two felt while trying to forge a future together. It gave me such an appreciation for all LGBT military people during that time. It was something I was aware of but never felt the pain of it the way Noyes brought me in as the story reader.

Only complaint from me is it wasn't long enough. I felt the ending covered a lot in a small space which di
Arien
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Less romance than I'd like but it fits the setting well. Overall a well written book with properly developed main and secondary characters.
Val
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I (like my friend Lex) am a sucker for these military, medicine, cops type books. This one is fantastic and I'd give it more stars if I could. It clearly illustrates how messed up DADT was and you feel the anguish of these two women as they struggle to keep careers and fulfill obligations. The book also depicts the suffering that our injured veterans survive and the paralyzing fear that their loved ones feel. Lastly, there's a romance/love story here too. This book is outstanding in numerous way ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Music and the Mirror
  • Just for Show
  • Edge of Glory
  • Under Your Skin
E. J. Noyes lives in Australia with her wife, a needy cat, aloof chickens and too many horses. When not indulging in her love of reading and writing, E. J. argues with her hair and pretends to be good at things.

Ask, Tell (3 books)