Start by marking “Made A Killing (Alex Warren Murder Mysteries Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Made A Killing (Alex Warren Murder Mysteries Book 1)

Made A Killing

(Alex Warren Murder Mystery #1)

Nobody sheds a tear when the body of Scott Stevenson, a local troublemaker, is found with an ivory tusk driven through his torso.

After DCI Alex Warren and his team are given the task of tracking down the killer, they investigate the numerous people Stevenson has harmed and stumble upon a web of crimes motivated by sex and greed. As the body count rises, they struggle to
Published July 19th 2016 by Creativia (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Made A Killing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made A Killing

Start your review of Made A Killing (Alex Warren Murder Mysteries Book 1)
Jina Bazzar
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Gritty, dark and enticing.
This is not my usual cup of tea, or coffee, but sometimes when I'm in the mood for change, I head off to the mystery/suspense area. Sometimes, I pick up a police/detective book.
This one was a mystery / crime and police procedural read, with a touch of humor and the required guess-who-did-it kind of book, and it was done exceptionally well.
The story opens up with a murder investigation – with the dead being the bad guy, killed with an antique elephant tusk. So yes,
Stephen Clynes
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow DCI Alex Warren and his team as they try to catch a murderer in Glasgow. This is a typical crime thriller done in the style of the successful television series The Bill. This novel is not just about the solving of a murder but also the lives of the many characters involved. Zach's character development is very good and I liked the lead character Alex.

I enjoyed reading this novel as there was plenty of detail and a good plot. I liked the feel of the story and it developed into a very
Joyce
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh...

3 stars

It’s November in Glasgow and DCI Alex Warren and Sergeant Sandra McKinnon attend a murder scene. He sees that the victim in one Scott Stevenson. He is upset that it is Mr. Stevenson for the question is not who would want to kill him, but rather who wouldn’t? For Warren too is happy to see him dead. Stevenson has an ivory tusk driven into his chest. Stevenson bilked people, especially the elderly, out of their money by selling scam investments or just stealing their antiques. Oh, he
Jenny
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery
Made A Killing is book one in the Alex Warren Murder Mysteries series by Zach Abrams. DCI Alex Warren and caught a case of investigating the death of Scott Stevenson. DCI Alex Warren was not happy to assign the murder case of finding the killer of Scott Stevenson he quietly believes that the killer is a hero. However, DCI Alex Warren is a professional that allows him to continue to investigate Scott Stevenson. The readers of Made A Killing will follow the twist and turns in DCI Alex Warren and ...more
Jeff Howe
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty typical police procedural, structurally. Fairly plodding overall. Characters pretty standard, nobody really stood out, no real guile or insightfulness in either the criminals or the police. Every person of interest starts out with bravado, then is quickly smacked down with police revelations into cowering and shamed-faced confession. The sideline of the handsy investigator didn't seem to fit into the story; not clear why that was there. The Alex/Sandra "relationship" was telegraphed early ...more
AngryGreyCat
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Made a Killing by Zack Abrams is a UK based mystery. The case is centered on a thoroughly despicable victim who is involved in blackmail with a side line of elder fraud. Alex Warren, a divorced police officer is in charge of the case and is somewhat concerned about his own personal connection to the victim. The case proceeds along gathering other murders and break ins after the fact. Alex sifts through the possible blackmail victims to catch a clue to the murderer’s identity before more bodies ...more
Sam
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good mystery

A great read base in Scotland.
Very entertaining, well presented, well written.
I highly recommend this book for all mystery enthusiasts.
Brenda Perlin
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made a Killing is a suspenseful detective story with a murderous plot. The characters were realistic and some likable. From the first page I was pulled in. It was an enjoyable read that was like a roller-coaster thrill ride. The writing was clear and easy to follow. It was packed with excitement, action and even a bit of romance. I am excited for the next installment. This book is an intriguing escape. It was dark but not too dark. As a reader I enjoyed every twist and turn.

"Tears were now
Rob Mars
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very refreshing style of Zach Abrams keeps you fascinated from the first page of this mystery until the end and beyond. Masterly carved, live characters, smoothly flowing storyline with nice twists direct you to the final revelation. The delicate, often pun-based humor appropriately spices the story. The setting is made authentic not only by the author’s Glasgow upbringing but his ability to visualize the grey, gloomy Scottish November that is a perfect setting for this whodunnit.

Mr. Abrams
A.J. Griffiths-Jones
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well-written & enticing detective novel, which kept me guessing until the last chapter. There were plenty of added extras, in the form of romance & personal life, although at times I did find the narrative over-descriptive in detail. I will definitely be reading more from this author as his knowledge of police procedure is accurate & the storyline of this book was very convincing.
Lee Holz
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made a Killing is a classic police procedural in the best British, in this case Scottish, tradition. The plotting is crisp and believable, as is the dialogue. The characters are interesting and engaging. All in all, this was a high enjoyable read.
Berk Rourke
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The main character in this novel, Alex Warren, and his sergeant, Sandra, can't seem to get it together despite wanting to, even while engaged in investigating a series of murders together. It was pretty easy to see that one coming, not so with the final results of the investigation. I liked the story line, I liked the characters though I thought they could stand a little more flesh, but I didn't like what I thought was excessive descriptions of almost everything, including the names and numbers ...more
Birgit
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A murder has been committed, and everyone seems glad that the victim is dead, including the head of the investigating team, Alex Warren. The reader follows the team during their minute collecting of proof, unraveling mysteries, and dealing with their own private problems.
Great start to a series I think am going to like very much. Very realistic and sympathetic characters, struggling with their own problems and prejudices, a great plot with twists and turns, and a very captivating narration style
Isobel Blackthorn
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DCI Alex Warren is thirty-something going on forty, solving the murder of Scott Stevenson, a robber, cheat and con-artist Warren would rather see dead. Stevenson’s life was ended by the pointy end of a carved elephant tusk. Set in Glasgow, Made a Killing has a strong downbeat, downtrodden vibe, not quite noir but heading that way. Good plotting with lots of twists and turns, and strong characterisation hold the attention. The editing could be sharper. In all a solid detective mystery.
Black Butterfly
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ADULTS
4 *stars REALLY
THIS TAKES PLACE IN GLASGOW SO TRYING TO UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENT TERMINOLGY MAKE STRANGE READING SOMETIMES.I SPENT A LOT OF TIME LOOKING UP STUFF. OTHER THAN THAT IT WAS AN EXCELLENT POLICE PROCEDULE. I COULDN’T FIGURE OUT WHO/WHAT WAS GOING ON AND I LOVE THAT IN A BOOK. ‘D
Alexandra Brechin
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zach Abrams is a new author to me. I enjoyed this book, the first in a series, and thought it was a decent read. Crime series set in Glasgow and the surrounding area which is local to me so the journeys and locations added to the interest as they were familiar to me. Will definitely follow the next adventure of Alex Warren and his team of detectives.
Tocci
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murderer Spills the Beans

A well written mystery, this kept me interested,despite the ending. The author neatly wraps up the mystery by having the perp explain everything. That's a bit of a cheat, in my opinion! However, there are some good glimpses into modern day Scotland that I appreciated, along with a bit of romance. An engaging novel!
Annette Sullivan
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good crime story with a great plot involving many people, some naively, one completely innocent, yet still murdered. It is many hours of exhausting investigation down many roads, while dealing with other personal issues of those involved as well. All in all a really good read I thoroughly enjoyed.
Keith Withers
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Otstanding drama

Love, fear, drama, death and intrigue. A thoroughly enthralling and suspenseful story. Not to be missed. Based in Glasgow and having a 'Taggart' style scenario to it.
Cynthia Pratt
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of this book was spent populating and defining characters. It bogged it down a little for the story. Not sure I will look at another one thought I liked the characters and action toward end got exciting.
Rizello
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This mystery is set in Glasgow. Alex Warren is a divorced detective. This story is about a murder of an antiques store owner that wasn't well liked.

Interesting enough that I will pursue others in the series.
Susan
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
When local business Scott Stevenson is found dead only his mother seems to care. DCI Alex Warren with his team are given the job of investigating this low-life. A good start to a new series (for me) of a modern crime series set in Glasgow.
Teresa Perrott
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full of twists

A murder in an antique shop that leads to blackmail plots involving influential people, another murder and a kidnap before the twist at the end. Throw in the beginning of a romance and this is the book for you.
Tina
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Brilliant book. Intense investigative thriller. Non stop action keeps the pages turning. Good back story too for the background information on the main characters. All round very good read .
Yvonne
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Long winded

I didn't read the entire book. Quite long and tedious. Why would I care about a long long long drawn out play by play weekend with a detective and his two sons. Holy mackerel. The ending was okay. But it was a long time coming.
Jimmie D Chastain II
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Felt just like a BBC procedural

If you're a fan of Hinterland or Shetland, this is a good read. Get a good sense of the characters and the environment. Felt like it would film well
Joyce McKune
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great suspense.

Complicated murder investigation. Interesting characters. The story deals with relationships as much as the crime. Very good ending so don't give up. I will happily read more of Alex Warren, but this episode has a clear conclusion that didn't disappoint.
Vonda Mîkesell
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alex Warren series

Zach Abrams is a great author, when you need a break from others that have so many typos you have to figure out what they mean to say. This series has well crafted plot and characters you believe in and enjoy.
gwen graves
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Really good

I love reading mysteries and this the first one I read that was set in Scotland. This was good and I like the characters. The description of the the area and the towns made want to go there.
Bernie Gale
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good well developed police procedural. Yes, it was plodding but that's what gets results in a police investigation. The Characters are well developed and believable. If only some other writers I have suffered this year took this much time to work through the story and roles.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder on the Lake (Inspector Skelgill Investigates, #4)
  • Too Clever By Half (A Davies & West Mystery, #2)
  • Blue Baby (Brandon Fisher FBI, #4)
  • Enmity (DI Munro & DS West #3)
  • Kindred Crimes (Jeri Howard Mystery #1)
  • A Mersey Mariner (Mersey Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • But Not Forever (Clint Wolf Mystery #4)
  • Strawberries
  • Bitter Roots (Bitter Root Mysteries, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Kate Redman Mysteries, #8)
  • Creed (Kate Redman Mysteries, #7)
  • King Peso (Emilia Cruz Mysteries #4)
  • Haggard Hawk (Nathan Hawk Mystery #1)
  • Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe, #4)
  • Bad to the Bone (DI Bliss, #1)
  • Chicago Broken (Detective Shannon Rourke, #2)
  • The Lady Vanished (Tyrone Swift, #1)
  • Grain of Truth (Innocence Unit #1)

Having the background of a successful career in commerce and finance, Zach Abrams has spent many years writing reports, letters and presentations and it's only fairly recently he started writing novels. "It's a more honourable type of fiction," he declares.

His first novel 'Ring Fenced' was published in November 2011. This is a crime story with a difference, following one man's obsession with power

Alex Warren Murder Mystery (3 books)
  • A Measure of Trouble (Alex Warren Mysteries)
  • Written to Death