Start by marking “The Bunting Quest” as Want to Read:
The Bunting Quest

The Bunting Quest

Nick Lawrance, an antique map dealer, is shocked to find his gallery has been burgled. However, this isn’t an ordinary robbery: the thieves have ignored priceless maps and have only taken Bunting’s World Map. All of a sudden, Nick is thrown into a four-hundred-year religious mystery where strange people around him will do anything for this map ... even kill for it. Nick ha ...more
Published October 2016 by Hybrid Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Bunting Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bunting Quest

Start your review of The Bunting Quest
Alex Cantone
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Master, master wake up!' the Moor boy pleaded. 'Master, there's a prince here to see you!'

So begins a 3-year odyssey that will take the Protestant heretic Heinrich Bunting, his Jewish friend Jakob and his son Cornelius, and the moor Amir from Magdeburg in Germany to Antwerp where Cornelius will begin an apprenticeship as a mapmaker, while the others travel half way across the world. On their return in 1581, Bunting has Cornelius draw up a map of the known world....

Four centuries later, a drunke
Michael Diamond
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s not often that you read a book that has a truly original plot. It is even less often that the author of the book is someone you grew up with in your youth.

When I heard that Steven Marcuson had written a novel, I thought it would be one of those vanity press ego-enhancers - the type written by the guy approaching 60 who’s looking to leave an impression on the world. When a transatlantic trip presented itself, as an act of charity towards an old friend, I zipped a copy down to my Kindle and
James Blaxill
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An absolute ripper from start to finish. Marcuson perfectly blends the historical and contemporary to create a thrilling read. Stayed up all night to finish it!
Kerrie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My main interest in this novel was generated by the links in the plot to the history of Western Australia. The author tells readers in a note in the last pages that the story is based partly on actual people and events, and partly on fiction.

It seems quite logical that the early European explorers of the islands to the north of Australia should also have explored the coast of Western Australia. I prefer to think about deliberate exploration rather than espouse to just "blown off course". That th
Penne Moschetti
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
With just a whiff of the Da Vinci Code, this book I enjoyed. I like a combination of religious intrigue and mystery based on historic facts. This book seems to do this very well. Also, Australia comes into the mix. A bit slow to start but built up. I also liked the three parallel story lines. Watch out for the Epilogue.
Deb
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a read! Murder, maps, Lutherans, Catholics, Irish, sailing ships and all the links to Western Australia. Loved every moment.
Frank
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A ripper of a tale encompassing two complementary storylines across several centuries that are cleverly entwined and which ultimately come together in an exciting climax.

Brilliantly researched, cleverly crafted and delicately wordsmithed, this book delivers intrigue, mystery, suspense and excitement.

The book brings together a number of interesting historical threads from Europe and the Asia Pacific. The historical relationships between Protestants, Catholics and Jews are examined with an intel
Mandyh
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Hard to put down. Highly recommended.
If you like a bit of history with your mystery this one's for you
MisterHobgoblin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Bunting Quest is a poor man's Dan Brown.

This is not my type of book at all. I had expected a rollicking tale of historical drama on the high seas, with a touch of mapping and pre-European Australia. What I got was some conspiracy theory that never convinced me, cardboard characters and expository dialogue.

And it jumps around. There are multiple plot strands and point of view chops about all over the place. Locations in the novel include - and I doubt I have remembered them all - Northern Ire
Tim Harley
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book you feel you have to read in one sitting without putting it down as it is absolutely gripping. One of the most juiciest storylines of the year. Comparisons will be made to the Da Vinci code, but let me tell you, 'The Bunting Quest' puts that book to shame in storyline and prose - most assuredly at that. The kind of book you want to tell your friends about. I find it hard to believe this book wasn't put out by a major publisher with everyone now talking about it. It deser ...more
Nicole Boujos
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book from a first time author! So many twists and turns, and I loved how the separate stories bottlenecked into one. The ending was however slightly unsatisfying, as the author seemed to wrap it all up in a few short pages, although so much had been put into the characters.

All in all though, I would highly recommend it :-)
Denis Dragovic
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading The Bunting Quest by Steve Marcuson. If you're into Dan Brown novels, like ancient maps and a bit of religious intrigue and would like to see Australia somehow woven into the narrative then this is the book for you. Not too heavy, but a gripping read. First time author too!

• When She Was Good (Cyrus Haven, #2)
  • Caleb's Crossing
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
  • All That I Am
  • Truth (Broken Shore #2)
  • The Improbability of Love