Start by marking “I Wrote You a Note” as Want to Read:
I Wrote You a Note

I Wrote You a Note

In this deceptively simple storybook from award-winning author-illustrator Lizi Boyd, readers will delight in following a note's unexpected journey and encountering a cast of charming characters along the way. The spare text is filled with the kind of repetition and rhythm that make for a captivating read-aloud, while the humor and childlike cadence will engage readers who ...more
Published June 13th 2017 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about I Wrote You a Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wrote You a Note

La Coccinelle
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is probably one of those books that you're either going to like or dislike based on your view of the illustrations. The story is kind of tiresome, with a bunch of creatures finding the note and using it for different things. I just wanted to know what the note said! (We find out at the end. It's not that exciting.)

The illustrations are really stylized, and if you like them, you might like the book. But I thought they were kind of strange... and yet somehow boring. I just couldn't bring myse
Abigail
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lizi Boyd's Artwork / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Letters
Shelves: picture-books
The young narrator of Lizi Boyd's I Wrote You a Note tracks her missive as various creatures, from a turtle to a snail, find and then discard her letter. What she really wants to know, however, is if her friend has received her invitation to play...

I really loved Boyd's artwork here, with its subtle but appealing color palette, and its stylized animal characters. Although not particularly wowed by the narrative, I did find the repetitive structure, in which a series of animals each find the note
Nidofito
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2017-reads, comics
Very cute. Introduces wildlife, friendships, and adventuring!
Jamila
I love this book because Boyd's illustrations are delightful, simple, and thought-provoking. It can be used in so many ways. Related activities include nature walks, letter writing, paper sculpture and origami, and animal habitats.
Amy Layton
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Chronicle Books always publishes the cutest books with the best illustration styles, and I Wrote You a Note is no exception!  Following the path of a note from its writer to its recipient, this book uses fun rhymes and cadences as well as a lively cast of characters.  This book would be perfect for the child who likes a repetitive story structure, and the child who loves looking for clues to see what will happen next!

Review cross-listed here!
Jeimy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love all the uses the animals find for the note, not to mention the note itself!
Emily Kay
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
i like the book and the note
its not a mestrey frevr in the end
we see the note.
Sara A.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Not impressed. The pictures were just okay. The text just okay.
Barbara
I love the books written and illustrated by Lizi Boyd, and this is no exception to that rule for me. Her books seem to capture the essence of universal experiences--in the case, a friend waiting for a response to a note written to another friend--in a way that gives them both weight and meaning. The simple words, accompanied by illustrations, created in gouache, draw readers into the story as they wait to see what happens to that note. I had my doubts that it would survive its arduous journey as ...more
Erica
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young girl lying in a meadow writes a note and leaves it to be found. And it is found by all kinds of small animals and birds who each use it according to their needs and then abandon it. Eventually though, it is found by its intended recipient and the contents revealed. Boyd’s sparse stylized gouache illustrations done in a limited palette of green, blue, yellow and dusty pink on a beige background add a bit of whimsy to the note’s journey. The text, including the refrain of “I wrote you a no ...more
Niki Marion
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
BIG BEAR, LITTLE CHAIR will forever hold a place in my heart, and I WROTE YOU A NOTE is the book to give little ones when their reading level increases beyond plain opposites. The narrator guides the reader in the first phrases, "I wrote you a note. Did you find it?" The note cycles through a cast of inventive animal characters, each finding a creative way to make the physicality of the note useful to them. Visual foreshadowing and parallel visual narratives abound, and there is so much for youn ...more
HueL
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
a sweet book about a girl wrote a note on a piece of tree bark, it circled through animals and found its final destination.

The illustrations are naive and cute. The story plot is sweet too. Have no idea why the average rating so far is only 3.5, and there are 200 samples already, so it should not be a sample issue. Most so-so pictures books received 3.8 - 4.2 on average.

Curious to know what is wrong with this book. Maybe someone can explain what they don't like about this book ?
Juliana Lee
One friend writes a note on a piece of bark. While waiting for her friend to find the note and come play, she imagines what all the animals who might have encountered the note did with it. The turtle built a raft with a sail, the dragonfly used it as a tent, the spider thought it was a bridge to keep his feet dry, and many more. Finally, the note reaches it's intended recipient and the friends meet to play.
Alison T. Johnson
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I wrote you a note. Did you find it?" And so the journey of the note begins. Over streams, a pond and through the meadow the note wends its way with help from various animals and insects along the way. The illustrations are simple and inviting. I love the expressions and simple eye movement of the main character interacting with the animals. The illustrations give the story a very serene feeling. It's a beautiful picture book with a nice rhythm.
Carol  Vanhook
Sweet fresh story about going on an adventure, nature, and animals. Follow along as a little girl writes a note to her friend. Such a humorous story that will warm your heart. Pair this book with another similar story - The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles and have a great collection of books on kindness and friendship!
Samantha
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A girl uses a piece of bark to write a note to her friend. The note goes through an interesting journey on its way to the friend as different animals use the note in various ways.

Gouache artwork. PreK-2.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This is a lovely story of a young girl who sends a note into a field. The note is received and used by different animals, in different ways. The story is sweet and the illustrations are just fantastic.
Cheriee Weichel
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I appreciate Liza Boyd's unique illustrations in this book a lot. I like that all the different creatures viewed the note from their own unique perspectives. I'm just kind of confused as to how many notes the girl wrote before it was magically received by the recipient for who it was intended.
John
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this book because she writes a letter to her friend, but lots of people think of it's different stuff, so they use it for different stuff because it's paper. Paper can fold into anything: hats, lily pads, boats, well, not really lily pads...
Ruth Ann
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting illustrations picture the girl, writer of the note, doing things during the day until it is time to meet her friend.
Many creatures find her note and use the paper for unintended purposes before it reaches her friend.
"I wrote you a note.
Did you find it?" is repeated often.
Sheri
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A young girl writes a note and it takes a long detour before it finally gets to her friend. The animals that find the note and moves it on are interesting. The illustrations are detailed and a pastel pallet. A quiet read and thoughtful.
Heidi-Marie
Meh. Not quite what I look for in my storytimes. It's a progression story. Kids might enjoy it at home. The ending was kind of bland for me. I more enjoyed seeing the note's adventures and how each animal used it.
Dawn
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book made me think of Gloria Who Might Be My Best Friend from our friendship unit in Open Court. Would be fun to couple it with a focus on how people used to put notes in bottles.
Liz Todd
Would be a fun, purposeful writing invitation in K.
Amanda Walz
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute
Tami (agreatbook)
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Gorgeous Illustrations
Margaret Boling
9/23/2017 ** A whimsical tale about the possible path of a note from one friend to another. I loved that electronics didn't play a role at all - just imaginary play and friendship.
Peter
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love these illustrations! Charming simplicity and imagination.
Miss Sarah
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A young girl writes a note that travels from animal to animal on it's way to its receipient. Each animal uses the note differntly. Very creative and cute. Preschool and up

• On the Farm, At the Market
  • Also An Octopus
  • Yak and Dove
  • Bear's Scare
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • Give Me Back My Book!
  • Maya's Blanket/La Manta de Maya
  • Noni The Pony
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • Mama Africa!: How Miriam Makeba Spread Hope with Her Song
  • What's Your Favorite Color?
  • Love Is: (Illustrated Story Book about Caring for Others, Book About Love for Parents and Children, Rhyming Picture Book)
  • Dear Dragon