Start by marking “Sell with a Story: How to Capture Attention, Build Trust, and Close the Sale” as Want to Read:
Sell with a Story: How to Capture Attention, Build Trust, and Close the Sale

Sell with a Story: How to Capture Attention, Build Trust, and Close the Sale

Despite all the high-tech tools available to salespeople, the most personal method still works best.

Storytelling packs the emotional punch to turn routine presentations into productive relationships. It explains products or services in ways that resonate; it connects people and creates momentum. Stories speak to the part of the brain where decisions are made.

Paul Smith, au
Published September 8th 2016 by AMACOM

To ask other readers questions about Sell with a Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell with a Story

Start your review of Sell with a Story: How to Capture Attention, Build Trust, and Close the Sale
Rachel
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Makers, especially those of us who sell online, are always getting bombarded with the message that we need a story but rarely does someone actually sit down and tell us in small digestible chunks what that actually means. This book does that. While not targeted specifically to makers, I do I think that makers might find this valuable.

An advanced reader copy of this ebook was provided to me through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rodney Royden
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Hi,

I rated this 5 stars both for the book, and the after sales service!

I had some questions for Paul and he kindly took the time to answer them.

As someone who worked in procurement over ten years, I appreciated Paul's tips to salespeople. Little things like asking people to tell you about their experience (instead of saying 'tell me a story') can make the world of difference.

The difference between sleepy time and sale time.

Enjoy the book everyone
Prashant Ghai
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sell with a Story is an interesting book which focuses our attention to the art of selling a product or service with a well crafted story which engages the buyer and creates a much better opportunity to convert.

A must read for everybody, because believe it or not, we all are in the business of selling.
Darren
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well the strapline for this book - “How to capture attention, build trust, and close the sale” - was stunningly accurate and boy did this book capture this reviewer’s attention and sell itself very well indeed!

Essentially the central message of this book is to make your sales approaches story-based, forming a personal connection to the recipient. This is quite a different kind of sales book too; hyperbole and faux inspiration are eschewed in favour of really setting your mind on fire and getting
Kelly
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Excellent exercises and appendices/online resources. My recommendation is read Part 1, the appendices, and the online resources. Part II seemed like filler content to round out a complete book.
Victor
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story wasn’t great. Good points. Not engaging
Jimit
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sale with A story

It is good read for sales executives, author has provided many stories and art of telling stories. I feel in many chapters same things repeat again and again.
Trung Nguyen Dang
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The author's earlier book, Lead with a story, is so so much better. ...more
Mark
Sep 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a book on business storytelling for a while. To my good fortune this one came up on an Audible daily deal.

In his book, Paul Smith persuasively puts forward the case for telling stories to sell. He identifies different types of stories and the different elements that go into a great story.

Throughout the book he gives great examples and then analyses them.

I've been training business storytelling for a while now. Paul's book consolidated a lot of what I aleady knew but also gave
Suzanne Crane
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Paul Smith also has a class on LinkedIn Learning that covers similar content in a video series. The frameworks are easy to remember, easy to use, and incredibly effective. Put your favorite story up against this framework and it’s all there already. If not, then you can make them even better.
Amal Baqshy
Jan 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
Great book with really good examples on how to tell stories to sell products/ services. The fact that it concentrates on all the details of story telling content is great. I wish it focused more on the emotional/ psychological aspect of the consumer to understand how the stories affect the way the consumer thinks and processes the information.
Daniela D
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
a great introduction to storytelling with a purpose, has very good steps and tips to organise yourself and keep track of all the stories either from your life or others that you can use on sales calls.
Chris
Mar 14, 2021 rated it liked it
It was ok. It bored me after the initial chapter where he introduced the pig island story.
Overall it is an ok book to learn something from.
But I rushed to finish it because I knew it would not be.., so enjoyable after all.
Hanna Pliasetski
Apr 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Stories sell, they're easy to remember and they influence your audience.
This book is brilliant! The author takes you hand in hand through the principles of crafting a good story that easily sells and makes you stand out.
Tracy Elman
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book to keep going back to. A sales manual. Filled with stories that help you not to be boring and be more interesting to your buyers.
Dan The Creator
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much content and easily written.
Work + Theory book!
Lorenzo Carreón
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book that teaches on how selling something it's just telling a story! ...more
George Davidson
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sales
Core sales skill
Andy Febrico Bintoro
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
a lot of example here. maybe not that structured for there is no visual framework, but the things here truly made sense.
Siim
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sales, reread
Do you have a good story about why you do what you do?
Wat
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finally a book with useful tips I can use and not just random BS. You will find step by step how to make your story
Barlara Valenzuela
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Basic and somehow predictable, but a great reminder of the power a good story has in connecting with others on a more human level. Good book!
Pulak (Nick) Khurana
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read, I have to work on the stories suggested and hopefully up my game!
Peter
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lots of fluff
Hanan
Mar 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing

The Best Marketing Book Everyone Should Read
Madhusudan Somani
Jun 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything that you want to know about telling stories in your sales pitch.
Thai Anh
May 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
It's my first time reading a book to know the importance of the story. And if anyone asks me for a solution to be more funny and attractive, this book is going to be my recommendation.
Previously, when I thought the story was simply any way to tell it to my friends, and just make it fun and adjust my tone then I have an interesting story... I was wrong.
6 months ago, I watched youtube and was told about this book. It was new for me, and I was a little bit skeptical but I wanted to try it. I orde
Nick
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very smart, step-by-step, practical advice for sales people -- how to take a story, and apply it to all the various steps in the sales process. You need this book if you're trying to meet quota in the 21st Century. ...more
Mukesh Gupta
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read and implement if you are in the function of selling..
Andrew Brooks
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-finished
Great content. I would have preferred a hard copy. Not a huge fan of the audio book. This is a book to highlight and take notes in.

• Before & Laughter: A Life Changing Book
  • Sales Management. Simplified.: The Straight Truth About Getting Exceptional Results from Your Sales Team
  • SELL LIKE CRAZY: How to Get As Many Clients, Customers and Sales As You Can Possibly Handle
  • 300 Email Marketing Tips: Critical Advice And Strategy
To Turn Subscribers Into Buyers & Grow
A Six-Figure Business With Email
  • The Contrarian: Peter Thiel and Silicon Valley's Pursuit of Power
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • The Choice Factory: 25 Behavioural Biases That Influence What We Buy
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • The Cold Start Problem
  • Play Nice But Win: A Ceo's Journey from Founder to Leader
  • The Practicing Stoic
  • New Sales. Simplified.: The Essential Handbook for Prospecting and New Business Development
  • The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation
  • If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition
  • $100M Offers: How To Make Offers So Good People Feel Stupid Saying No
  • Start Something That Matters
  • Content Chemistry: The Illustrated Handbook for Content Marketing
PAUL SMITH is director of Consumer & Communications Research at The Procter & Gamble Company and a highly rated leadership and communications trainer for P&G’s management training colleges. He is the author of Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives that Captivate, Convince, and Inspire.

News & Interviews

The college campus has been a popular setting for books since the days of ancient Greece. In fact, Aristotle once wrote a dark academic...
“David Hutchens summarizes this idea nicely in the pithy phrase, “it’s not manipulation when there is participation.” 0 likes
“As NYU social psychologist Jonathan Haidt observes, “The human mind is a story processor, not a logic processor.” 0 likes