Start by marking “The Whistling Sands” as Want to Read:
The Whistling Sands

The Whistling Sands

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Ned Flynn has spent half of his life in jail. Now he has decided to go straight. Feared by those who have crossed him, in his mother's eyes he can do no wrong. Yet during an ad hoc visit home, he finds her in a bad way. He feels guilty leaving her like this, but he needs money to do the right thing. Then his luck changes, thanks to local businessman, Mason, who hires him ...more
Published January 22nd 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Whistling Sands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whistling Sands

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Whistling Sands
Nigel Bird
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this very tight novella is perfect. It shows a man disintegrating as he stands looking out to sea. Its a match for the book because thats what happens within. Ex-boxer and prison inmate Ned Flynn is slowly falling apart, as is his resolve to sort out his life.

At the opening, Flynn returns home and decides that he should make space and time to look after his fragile mother. In order to help him do that, he needs cash. To go straight, he takes a job from a local gangster who wants
Ravenna Young
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
I opened this book to check it out and found myself immediately absorbed in a faced-paced psychological thrill ride that I couldn't put down until finished. (this was bad, since I was at work, but you know...).
Bird delivered and then some, AGAIN. I love his short stories and this novella is no different. My heart raced as I read the story, completely absorbed in the noir setting as I sat on the edge of my seat, wondering WTF.
The protag, Flynn takes a post-prison job to retrieve Mason's wife,
Louise
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

In summary, it is a quick, concise story in an atmospheric Welsh setting. Flynn makes a contrasting protagonist in the fact that you know he is currently quite a bad lad but you can't help but feel he is trying really hard to be a better person and that endears him to you. I found it quite surprising how quickly Flynn fell for Nia and possibly her character could have been more alluring to make this believable.

Still, a very interesting read and
Sarah Mcleod
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Another one of my firstreads books, and my first by Math Bird. This is a novella about a man who has been employed by another man to find his wife who has ran off with a priest, money exchanges hands, and of he sets to look for this women. Over time lots of alcohol is drunk, punches thrown and paths walked on. This was a pleasent enough read, not taxing, but a little on the predictable side.
Kate Robinson
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this darkly satisfying tale, ex-con and anti-hero Ned Flynn tries to sort out his life. Following his best instincts, he resolves to take better care of his aging mother. But to accomplish that, he needs money. His worst instincts kick in and he accepts a job from a local gangster who wants Ned to retrieve his estranged wife from a storm-tossed village on the west coast of Wales.

When Flynn finds Nia, he complicates matters by falling in love with her. Nias new man, Haines, has recently
Will Viharo
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This moody tale is conveyed on an emotionally relatable scale and has a very classical feel to it, squarely (make that cooly) in the tradition of film noir and vintage detective fiction, as well as classic 70s crime thrillers like "Get Carter," but with a unique setting and distinctive, contemporary voice. Recommended.
Just_me
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, crime
A quick and easy read, my only issue with this book is the predictability of the ending.

I won this book through goodreads firstreads for an honest review.