Start by marking “Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional” as Want to Read:
Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional

Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional

style="COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">No one wants to experience
pain. But there seems to be "no other way" to teach us some of the valuable
lessons of wisdom and humility, patience and endurance that we need to
experience in this life. Though pain comes to us in different ways- sometimes
self-inflicted, sometimes a natural result of mortality- there are

Published November 9th 2004 by Shadow Mountain (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional

Start your review of Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional
Sean Neahusan
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for dealing with the inevitable pain of life. A warning though, this has a strong LDS emphasis and includes references from the Book of Mormon, so if you are afraid of Mormon cooties, not the book for you.
Michelegg
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting book. I have mixed feelings about it. I didn't like the chapters where he was promoting his own agendas (the Belief Windows). But I did learn some things. I was very moved by some of the experiences he related. His advice to use our pain to make us better, and to learn and grow, was good.

I think that Mr. Smith covered much of the same ground others have covered lately, but he didn't cover it as well. Not much new here.
Cara
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Powerful book. I picked it up with physical pain in mind, and it deals with an entirely different pain, but there are some great teachings in this book. My favorite line is "your sorrows will outnumber your joys, but your joys will outweigh your sorrows."
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like the way the author was able to make me think outside the box. Everyone feels pain, but how long we choose to wallow in it makes all the difference.
Julia
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was just okay for me. It had a few good "take homes" but for the most part was a little watered down for me.
Jennybug
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really did like this book. It was a really quick read. There are many good quotes and scripture references. I particularly liked chapter 3 "Why is pain part of the plan?" This book deals with many different kinds of pain. I appreciate the authors willingness to share his experiences, through this book.

“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer
Celestia
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have heard Hyrum speak on tape. Finally in this book I have a scripture to back up a statement he made on the tape, that he believes Satan can imitate the burning of the bosom and ever other feeling, except for peace.

The story he tells of his excommunication and rebaptism into the church was touching. Of course my inquiring mind wanted more details but he didn't spill them. I loved the story he tells of the sign of a dove appearing after the death of a friend's friend to comfort the grieving
Matt Evans
Jul 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
The Miracle of Forgiveness is a much better book. However, and I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, I read Mr. Smith's book strictly for the gossip factor. I used the Franklin Planner way back when and I was interested in what led to Mr. Smith's fall from grace. The book really didn't disappoint in that regard, but $10 is a lot to pay for People-Magazine-caliber scoop.
Erin
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Wasn't what I thought it would be. The title is captivating, but the book wasn't so much. Pain is such a broad topic; however, the book only covered one type, spiritual pain that comes from sin. I would have liked to have the book go into more detail about the physical pain some individuals have to endure and what can be learned from that. The book could have been so much more.
Sheree
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book - I found it very interesting with great insights. I could feel the spirit as I read it. One story that I really liked in the end talks about "moving on." It is a great story.
Mililani
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, read it right through, couldn't put it down. Knowing the author and some of what he went through himself, helped me to delve further into the subject matter, which prompted me to read another book, Believing Christ, by Stephen Robinson, the next day
Judy
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting thoughts on pain and forgiveness. Okay for a quick read.
Agree that the Miracle of Forgiveness is better. This was to much of a confessional for Mr Smith.
Jeff Nielson
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
this book teaches you how to deal with tragedy or persoanl suffering-a must read for Mormons especially those that demand they be perfect!
Darryl
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice read to understand the atonement better, but it would have been more powerful if he had made it more about his personal story and less a doctrinal deposition.
Sara
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

• The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)
  • A Run for Love (Oklahoma Lovers #1)
  • The Stranded Patriot (Steele Family #2)
  • Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
  • Romancing Lord Ramsbury  (Brides of Brighton #3)
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • Quinn Family Romance Collection
  • How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen: From Toddlers to Teenagers: Connecting with Your Children at Every Age
  • Her Forbidden Bodyguard (Quinn Family #6)
  • The Tough Warrior (Quinn Family #4)
  • Undercover Honeymoon
  • Wrath of the Dragon King (Dragonwatch, #2)
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • Flirting with First
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • A Week in Brighton
Hyrum W. Smith is a distinguished author, speaker, and businessman. Hyrum was one of the original creators of the popular Franklin Day Planner. In 1983 he co-founded the Franklin Quest Company to produce the planner and train individuals and organizations in the time management principles on which the planner was based. In 1997 it became the Franklin Covey Company. Hyrum stepped down as Chairman ...more