Start by marking “Rock and Riot” as Want to Read:
Rock and Riot

Rock and Riot

(Rock and Riot #1)

With all the fashion and quirks of the 50's comes the vintage queer love story that you've never heard before. Rock and Riot follows the tales of teenage delinquents learning about gender and sexual orientations while still maintaining their fabulous hair.
Paperback, Volume 1, 68 pages
Published September 25th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Rock and Riot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock and Riot

Start your review of Rock and Riot
Romie
I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started this comic at midnight because my favourite author had recommended it. Well, I'm so glad I gave it a try. It was everything I had been waiting and didn't know I needed in my life.
It's basically about a bunch of queer teens in the 50's, they're in 3 different gangs and they're just hilarious and amazing. Please please, read it. If you want a comic with a lesbian sweetheart, a pansexual girl, a demisexual/demiromantic boy, a gay dor
⚔ Silvia ⚓
What a charming and spectacularly and diversely queer comic! I couldn't put it down (it's not very long so binging it is super easy) and now I'm feeling great and empowered and I can't think of a better start to my day.

It's basically Grease (teenage gangs! the 50s!) but better and everyone is queer (no, I really mean e v e r y o n e), and I don't just mean that there are gay and lesbian characters (it has those too) but it basically has one character for every type of romantic and sexual orientation, as we
- ̗̀ cady ̖́-
HERE IS THE LINK TO READ THIS WORK OF ART ONLINE (DO IT DO IT DO IT)- https://tapas.io/series/Rock-and-Riot

In my humble opinion, everyone should read this. And, for your convenience, here's a list of reasons why:
1) So much diversity!
Okay look guys, I don't think I have read anything that has much diversity as this has ever before. Like, it has race representation. It has representations of a bunch of different sexualities and gender identities. (Here's a character list made by the author that lists the different sexualities and/>1)
Surina
I smiled like an idiot the entire time I read this.
when y'all said "lgbt? all at once?" this artist said "try me"

rep: black lesbian mc, plus-sized pan demisexual mc, f/f romance, gay mc's, m/m romance, non-binary character, f/nb couple, trans character, side f/f couple, side m/m couple, aroace character, there's a lot more but they're minor characters
E.
Read it here or here !!!

This is an adorable comic full of diverse queer representation! It is set in the 50s so it has things like milkshake dates, leather jackets, and GANGS!!!

It's really fast paced and the art is so so pretty! I just binged it all (it's not that long but shhh).

Here's an illustration with all characters but it contains spoilers so check on your own responsibility:
(view spoiler)

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Sara Inês
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqi, comics
description

This comic is super sweet, and it manages to talk about important things in a light and (sometimes) funny way!

All the characters are super diverse: we have good representation (e.g. gender, sexuality, race) without the usual stereotypes.

It is adorable, I would recommend it for a light read full of AWESOME characters!
minoo
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this webcomic was so good! started it and never stopped! so good
Emily
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I mean, just the absolute cutest.
Rayna
Amazing and adorable.

This comic is filled with 50’s feel-good vibes, milkshakes, leather jackets, inclusive girl gangs, boy gangs, gender non-conforming gangs.

The story is fun, the characters are cute, and the romance is wonderful.

Everything about it is perfection.
『 jaelyn ♛』
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
eVeRyOnE iS qUeEr
EVERYONE IS QUEER

and cute & lovely
Ivy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cute and joyful webcomic with bright art and a engaging storyline. Queer Grease with splashes of its own spot-on humor an adorable characters. Every couple, character, and conflict felt necessary and perfectly planned - and even though the author’s dabbles in animating the series were probably one-time deals, I’d still love to see the Jaquettes, Rollers, and Bandits come to life in a web series or short animated movie.
Eloise
SO GOOD.
The Grease/50s references are beautiful and the diversity went beyond what I even expected. It was brilliant.
Honestly, this comic is basically Grease, if everyone was queer.
Read it for free on Tapas: https://tapas.io/episode/186441
Serena
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the whole thing but I feel like putting the three volumes up and counting them for the goodreads challenge is cheating lol

MY PAN ASS IS ABSOLUTELY SHAKING. I HAVE NO WORDS
Madi
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG THIS IS SO CUTE. 1950's LGTBQ+ rep that makes me so happy.
Karol Prado
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Everything is cute af, everyone is queer and fun and cool. What's not to love?
McKinlay Dennis
omg so diverse and cute!
Book Worm Girl
I read this a while ago and I forgot to log it into here. I kind of forgot what I thought about it but I remember thinking it was so cute.
Allthatcraic
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqa
Ohhh this comic is the sweetest !!Please checj the tumblr of the author !! It is so good and refreshing !
Personally I love Grease and it s so I waq thrilled to see a comic set in the 1950's with gangs and such a diverse cast !!
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute series. I love all of the characters so much.
Lauren Ammerman
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Utterly charming. Quick, snappy dialogue and a cute, simple style. Cannot wait for more!
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Review also on: My Blog

Already a week into 2018 and I can tell you that Rock And Riot is one of my favorite 2018 reads.

I had my doubts going into this comic. I’d heard it was diverse & queer which of course peaked my interest but it’s also set in the 1950’s. However I shouldn’t have worried this comic was delightful, cute and fluffy.

Picture this: Grease but queer! So queer & diverse which already makes Rock & Riot tens times better than grease and with characters/>Picture
Jaime
I realised I never reviewed this so strap in lads, this is gonna get real fangirly.

This is literally one of the greatest webcomics ever and I will fight you on this. It's got a great 50s aesthetic, paired with a hella diverse cast of characters. The character info page on the website gets into the nitty-gritty of the diversity but a quick overview:
- f/f romance, m/m romance, f/nb romance
- I'm pretty sure over half of the mains are POC
- gay characters, lesbian charac
Yue
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming is the key word for this! The art style and stories are kept simple and clean, with bubbly lineart and lively pastel colours. The art is so effective and telling that several pages are speechless and every action is very clear.

Characters are diverse and simple, managing to avoid stereotypes without confusion. It also effortlessly hits a lot of key points about youth, self-discovery and the 50's. Topics of gender and race are directly confronted in an uplifting manner.

This is definitiv
jazz
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq, sapphic
rep: black lesbian mc, bi fat li, nonbinary mcs, gay mc, bi male mc, trans girl mc, gays and sapphic side characters

grease but make it queer. we have all the milkshakes, gangs, hairstyles and leather jackets!

it has a very queer cast of characters that, because it's the 50s, don't have the terms to name what they are but are brave enough to be themselves unapologetically anyway.

we have three main couples: f/f, m/m and f/nb and i love it so much. i could read 50
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would literally give this graphic novel a billion stars because it was so fantastic!

It has a wide cast of diverse LGBTQIA+ characters, the artwork is super awesome and I love that this is set in the 50's because we get to see all the different dressing styles and what life was like during that time period. The characters are seriously so awesome in their own ways and they're pretty hilarious as well! Everyone seriously needs to go check out this comic book series on Tumblr and I can't wait to
Amanda (StarDustPanda)
i may or may not have binge read the entire web comic in one sitting you cant prove anything! but omg this was so freaking cute i loved all the characters so much but my personal favorites were Rolly and Clyde plus their significant others were so cute then again they were all so freaking cute!! i love the art style and i'm just a big fan of clothes from the 50s plus all the different charaters just tipped it completely over the edge
Keefa
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ya know how some things pride themselves on being diverse but are still mostly white/straight? This is not one of those things. If you want all flavours of queer characters, lots of POC representation and a literal gang of gender non conforming characters, all with a 50s backdrop? This is the comic for you.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Heartstopper (Heartstopper, #0.1)
  • Always Raining Here, Volume 1
  • Long Exposure
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Griefer Belt
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Check, Please!: Year One
  • Always Human
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal
  • Always Raining Here, Volume 2
  • Check, Please!: Year Two
  • Starfighter Chapter 2 (Starfighter, #2)
  • Sharp Zero: Phase 1 (Sharp Zero, #1)
  • Sharp Zero: Phase 2 (Sharp Zero, #2)
  • Starfighter Chapter 1 (Starfighter, #1)
  • Tripping Over You: The Blue Book