Start by marking “La Madre Goose: Nursery Rhymes for Los Niños” as Want to Read:
La Madre Goose: Nursery Rhymes for Los Niños

La Madre Goose: Nursery Rhymes for Los Niños

Classic favorites get a modern Latino twist

The itsy arañita
climbed up the water spout.
Down came la lluvia
and washed la araña out.

Classic Mother Goose rhymes get a Latino twist in this cozy collection. From young Juan Ramón sitting in el rincón to three little gatitos who lost their mitoncitos , readers will be delighted to see familiar characters in vibrant, luminou
Published July 19th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about La Madre Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Madre Goose

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, diversity, spanish
Take the best nursery rhymes of my childhood and add some wonderful Spanish and you have a fantastic book for our bilingual kiddos. Talk about fun! The author managed to keep the feeling of the original rhymes and yet add a side order of Spanish culture. Perfect.
Laura Harrison
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most fun, glorious bilingual picture books I have ever read/seen. I love the rhyming text and adore the illustrations. If you are not familiar with the illustrator you soon will be. She is magnificent. A must have nursery rhymes book.
Francesca Justine
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is filled with nursery rhymes. It has very detailed illustrations. It is also really nice because the author used both english and spanish in the text. It helps everyone feel included. It also has a glossary if you are trying to learn spanish.
Linda
"Twinkle, twinkle, small estrella,/how I wonder why you're bella." Recognize it? There is a glossary with translations and pronunciations at the beginning of the book to help. I suspect ESL children will love this, as will only English speakers just beginning to learn Spanish. It's the prettiest book, with the cutest children and animals filling up the pages while acting out the familiar nursery rhymes.
Sean
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, texas-2x2
Love love love this book. What a cute and funny way to do nursery rhymes with a bilingual flare. I know my teachers will love this book!
Stephanie Sapp
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-2x2
Enjoyed reading this with my 8 year old. Glossary was great for looking up pronunciation and meanings of Spanish words.
Bethe
A little disappointed in this one - it has great potential but doesn't quite fulfill. Most, if not all, of the nursery rhymes are the traditional English versions with a few Spanish words substituted in, resulting in uneven rhymes or sounding gimmicky. Illustrations are charming - love the one on the last page.
Margie
Nursery rhymes with their short phrases and spirited cadences become part of a child's language and literature foundation sometimes before they are even born. The reading, reciting and singing of these poetic pieces span generations. All you need to do is begin one of the more popular titles and everyone, regardless of their age, will join in.

Many nursery rhymes are a reflection of the culture and historical time period in which they originated. One of the better known collections of nursery rhy
Iowa City Public Library
From Casey: "Madre Goose by Susan Middleton Elya and illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal, has become my new favorite picture book for February.

Elya is famous for intermixing Spanish and English within her stories in a way that incorporates rhythm and rhyme. Her updates to traditional Mother Goose rhymes are no exception in this collection.

The poems and classic rhymes presented here seamlessly flow from Spanish to English and back again making it a lovely read aloud for any family. Martinez-Neal’s
Stephanie Tournas
Classic Mother Goose nursery rhymes are re-imagined, with Spanish words sprinkled throughout. The artwork, acrylics with colored pencils and graphite on handmade textured paper, is rendered in warm pleasing colors, with plump, rosy-cheeked, multi-ethnic tots and animals animating the rhymes, and really makes the book. Reminiscent of the children's books illustrations of the 1960's by Joan Walsh Anglund. Families looking to add Spanish to their small child's vocabulary will enjoy this. Spanish wo ...more
Lynn
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Most of the rhymes seem to work (but I don't speak Spanish). The words in Spanish seem to be carefully chosen so even us non-Spanish-speaking folks can infer their meaning - especially if we have a background of nursery rhymes.
Soft illustrations done with acrylics, colored pencils and graphite on handmade paper (I'ld love to see the process the author used!). Soft lines and edges are almost blurred, but facial details are more precise.
Glossary and pronunciation guide are helpful, but most of the
Teresa Edmunds
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book top stars, not because the rhymes are anything new, but because of the fun way Elya combines Spanish and English in the rhymes. Elya replaces the main English words of familiar nursery rhymes for the Spanish words. For example, "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" becomes "The Itsy Aranita". Most of the rhymes stay basically the same as the English original, with a few exceptions. At the front of the book there is a helpful glossary to aid those new to Spanish and those who may speak Spanish ...more
James P
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. I want to own it one day. Some rhymes are definitely an improvement on the original. I much prefer "Peter, Peter Calabaza" over "Peter, Peter pumpkin-eater," for example, and María had a little Oveja over Mary had a little lamb.
Jillian Heise
Whimsical, charming, enchanting. Delightful bilingual nursery rhymes paired w/gorgeous illustrations. Adore the intermixed Spanish & English of familiar nursery rhymes. Appreciate the glossary at the start. This is an illustrator to watch for sure - can't wait to see more from her!
Allison
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.
Christine Turner

Award: 2017 2X2 Reading List
Subject: Children's poetry.
Rimas infantiles.
Poesía infantil.
Nursery rhymes.
Spanish language -- Vocabulary -- Fiction.
Jacki
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Some of the scansion doesn't quite work, but the art is lovely. Wonderful book for the most part.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mixing the English and Spanish make some of the rhymes clunky but the Latino twist is fun and this is great for introducing Spanish to children already familiar with the rhymes.
Grayson Burke
This is a book with a bunch of childrens stories but put into spanish. Most of the world are english except for the last word in each sentence. Very cute
Dana
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations adorn this nursery rhyme book that has a few key Spanish words included in bold print in each rhyme. The rhymes are altered to fit with the language.
Angela
La Madre Goose features English nursery rhymes with Spanish sprinkled throughout. Generally, if you know the English word, you're able to figure out what the Spanish word is. However, sometimes the Spanish is a different word so that it rhymes with another Spanish word. I like the pairing of the traditional English language nursery rhymes with words native Spanish speaking children will find familiar.

The overall effect is delightful and will really appeal to both native and non-native English sp
CosterKristina24
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a bilingual book as it provides Spanish nursery rhymes for babies and toddlers. During the beginning of the book there is a translation glossary of the Spanish words and the English meaning next to it. Some of the stories in the book are the "The Itsy Aranita" and "This Little Cerdo Went to Market". I found the stories and rhymes to be very sweet and detailed in description. This book is perfect for children learning Spanish and Spanish culture.
Katie
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is on the 2x2 list and I am excited to share with my students to celebrate poetry month (we are trying to squeeze as many of the 20 2x2's in before the end of the year). I think they will love the intermixing of English and Spanish words.
Jesse
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the Spanish inclusion and the illustrations are wonderful.
Victoria Hanley
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-story-time
Great for Bilingual Storytime
emyrose8
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute! Great way to learn a few Spanish words with familiar nursery rhymes.
Cherise
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, poc
Stunning artwork. The updated nursery rhymes are in English with Spanish words throughout. Includes a Spanish glossary.
Julie
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689-class, poetry
I learned several new Spanish words from reading this book. I read it several times and laughed out loud. I think this will be my new favorite birthday gift for young children.