Start by marking “The SEAL's Second Chance (Alpha Ops, #3)” as Want to Read:
The SEAL's Second Chance (Alpha Ops, #3)

The SEAL's Second Chance

(Alpha Ops #3)

The third in the Alpha Ops novella series that features an alpha Navy SEAL and the girl he thought he'd lost forever.

In high school, basketball star Charlotte Stannard and Navy SEAL Jamie Hawthorn were everything but lovers. They shared a ruthlessly competitive spirit and relentless drive, but Charlie, afraid of the consequences of an unplanned pregnancy at seventeen,
Published April 5th 2016 by Swerve

To ask other readers questions about The SEAL's Second Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The SEAL's Second Chance

Start your review of The SEAL's Second Chance (Alpha Ops, #3)
Baba
4 stars. Review posted March 29, 2016

photo oie_tXjWHCrebhsA_zpsntloltaq.png

My favorite quote ^^^^^^^^ was a direct hit to my heart.

Jamie Hawthorne, an active-duty Navy SEAL, has twenty-six days left of Operation Buzzer Beater. He's back in Lancaster to convince his high school love, Charlie Stannard, to give them a second chance. While he's had hook-ups, there was only one woman he's been in love with, the right one he's been waiting for: Charlie. Though Charlie has had other goals. Growing up under difficult circumstances in a poor
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
I just loooove a second chance romance done well! The Seal’s Second Chance is not only done well, it’s done right!

In high school, they only met on the court for their one-on-ones and never made it past third base. Charlie has always been driven. Driven by the fear of making the mistakes of her mother, Charlie refuses to do anything that would jeopardize her chances for a scholarship and an education to get her out of the home she is in. That includes letting her guard down and her heart prevail
Jen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-net-galley
3.75 Stars

Review to come closer to release date
Claire Robinson
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series, smp
4 - I've loved you since I was seventeen... Stars!

I have enjoyed every novella in this series so far. Anne Calhoun was an author new to me prior to starting the first novella, and what started out as a good read with the first story, went to really good with the second, and great with The SEALs Second Chance.

All three novellas have been relatively quick reads, but Jamie and Charlie’s reconnection after so many years apart was my favourite, but not by much. But everything seemed to just come
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.25 Stars***

Oh this was soooo good! A second chance, friends to lovers romance between the mayor's son who's now a decorated Navy SEAL, and the girl from the wrong side of the tracks who's back to coach the high school's basketball team after a very successful pro-basketball career.

What did I love about this book the most? THE PINING!! Oh the pining was delicious.

Jamie's loved Charlie since high school and now that they're all grown up, he's come back to town to finally take his chance and
♥Rachel♥
Apr 05, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @20%.

I enjoyed the first two novellas, but this one is not for me. I didn't like/couldn't connect with Charlie, the heroine, and the sports aspect is just not my cup of tea.

A copy was kindly provided by Swerve via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Hot, sweet, sexy as all hell. The SEAL's Second Chance was one deliciously romantic romp. So. It's been ten years since Jamie and Charlie have seen each other-- she's been rocking the sports world as a pro basketball player and he's a Navy SEAL--but they're both home for an awards ceremony and Jamie? He's ready to make up for time lost. Charlie's had his heart since they were kids in high school but nothing ever came of it but now? Oh yeah, he's gonna
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
ARC received for review

Meh. Nothing extra. I was expecting so much more from a SEAL especially with the hint of a drug bust his brother needed help on..Then nothing happened and big hole left. Charlie was just blah.
Lady Heather

Publication Date: April 5, 2016

" A copy of this book has been provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review"

4 "Play your best game or don't play at all" Stars!

photo walking barefoot.gif

This is the third novella in the Alpha Ops series.

Jamie Hawthorn is an active duty Navy SEAL at home on leave for a month to try and convince "the one that got away" to take a shot on him.

Charlie Stannard has always considered herself the kid from the wrong side of the tracks whose "only way out" was through
Maria Rose
A second chance/reunion romance with a hero in pursuit theme? Yes please!

This story of Jamie, an active Navy SEAL spending a month of leave at home wooing Charlie, the girl who stole his heart in high school hit all the right buttons for me. They grew up on opposite sides of the tracks, but met in the middle at an old basketball court, evenings spent together battling on the court, and experiencing all those feelings of first love. It's been ten long years apart, during which Charlie went on to
RachelW (BamaGal)
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Nice little story about a second chance at love. I've always been a sucker for these kinds of stories. Charlotte and Jamie were high school sweethearts who went their different ways; Charlie to play pro basketball, and Jamie to join the Navy and become a SEAL. Ten years later, Charlie is back in their hometown; and Jamie, who is on a thirty day leave, is determined to pick up where they left off as teenagers and build a future with Charlotte.

This was an enjoyable story, sexy and well written as
Darcy
I found this one to be very cute. I liked that Jamie let Charlie know what he wanted, that she was it for him. But I think the best part of this one was how Charlie's girls told her what was important, more than what she had been trying to teach them.
Sonya Heaney
This is fantastically written contemporary romance with realistic characters, dialogue that sounds like real conversation, and a hero and heroine whose looks and behaviour match their careers (not all that common in this genre!).

I love reunion romances, and I loved that in this one the hero was back in his hometown with the focus on getting the heroine back no matter what.

It’s nice to read a book about a navy SEAL that has a heroine who is also active and enjoys keeping fit! While I’m no fan of
Bette Hansen
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An awesome second chance story that's packed with humor, emotion, and all the feels for a great romance. It's a quick light read that's perfect for a lazy afternoon read.

Jamie and Charlie (Charlotte) were high school sweethearts but but Charlie's determination for something better than her mother had has her pushing Jamie away. Now she's achieved her dream of a professional basketball career in Europe and is back home coaching the local high school team. Jamie is back in town as well to honor
Sara
A very quick read, but as with all things Anne Calhoun, really well done. I loved that she approaches the story from new angle - it's not the usual SEAL meets girl story, or even the usual SEAL character. Like the others in this series, Jamie is a vibrant, real character, not the usual flat trope. And Charlie is a strong, successful woman - a little brittle, but loving...highly recommend this whole series.
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

3.5 Friends to Lovers Stars!

Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Swerve | SMP Romance via NetGalley
Genre: Adult Seal/Military Romance Novella
Part 3 in a new series

My The Seal's Second Chance Review . . .

I was so excited for this one as it had many elements that I adore.

1) Anne Calhoun

2) Friends to lovers

3) A sexy seal.

This series is definitely getting better and better but sadly I didn't fall for Charlie. I liked so many elements of her. Strong career woman but I'm never a
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Afrodyt's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

In what appears to be the final novella in Calhoun's Navy SEAL series, we meet Jamie Hawthorn and the teenage love of his life, Charlie Stannard. Both were incredibly talented and competitive athletes on the basketball court. After high school, Charlie moved on to a successful collegiate and pro career overseas but she never truly got over her high school sweetheart. Jamie went on to become a Navy SEAL and travelled the world being a hero.
Lisa
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, earc

Charlie (Charlotte) used her skills on the basketball court to get herself out of the future she didn't want. From the wrong side of the tracks so to speak she had to fight to get what she wanted out of life. Ten years later she is a successful ex professional ball player and a college graduate and teacher. Back in her old hometown her high school friend Navy Seal Jamie Hawthorn is back for a month on leave. As teenagers they had a thing for each other she couldn't allow to go to deep. Jamie is
Sultry Steamy Reading
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Young love. Sometimes, there is nothing sweeter. I loved this book because while it was basically a second chance romance, the main characters have already evolved and developed so much that it really feels like a new romance for both of them, at least, that's how it is for me. The thing about Ms. Calhoun is that while the stories she has in this series are made up of simple, ordinary characters, she is still able
Heather 123
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow....wow....wow! What an incredible book! Who wouldn't want a guy like Jaime fighting for them????

Jaime has been in love with Charlie for as long as he can remember. They secretly dated in high school before going their separate ways (him to the Navy and her to college and Europe). It's been ten years, but now Jaime is back and he is determined to win Charlie over.

Charlie has her own doubts: she never believed she was good enough for him and the fact that he is still active with the SEALs adds
Sunny
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoy Anne Calhoun's writing and continue to do so with this book. Unfortunately, the relationship falls a little flat for me. I do not feel the sizzle and the passion I normally do. Maybe it is because I'm a little cynical about how this relationship will work out. Jamie seems to be very optimistic that they can work with a long distance relationship, but Charlotte makes it clear from the beginning that she does not want one. I feel like he is not listening to her. It's a conflict and I want ...more
Kjen
4.5 Stars! A short but potent read! Cahoun can really bring the hot, but her writing is so much more than that. Deep emotion and life lessons abound in this story of two driven individuals who...separately... have loved each other forever. But, are they willing to fight for what it takes to be in love...together... forever? Can be read as a standalone. No cliffhangers.
Talk Supe
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The second chance at romance helped the plot development as this is a shorty. So even if things happened fast, it's truly the conclusion to a decades long courtship between Charlie & Jamie. Lots of love and quite tender. I also love that it all started and ended in the basketball court.
Dawn
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute! Not a word you would necessarily use with a seal right? But this story is a cute a day story that will leave you with hope in your heart and love on your mind. With the right person love can withstand.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Vicki
Mar 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
Bummer....I didn't get an ARC. :(
Jo
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the writing! Great characters and I loved the yearning. Too short though.
Claire
Apparently I'm starting out the year reading books with heroines named Charlotte! This is my second of three (so far) and the only contemporary.

Good story, with more going on than just the central romance. I believe that this is the last of the novellas in the series, so there's also a bit of set up for the next book, which is a full-length novel (there's a pretty substantive preview at the end of the Kindle edition). I liked both Charlie and Jamie, but sometimes I was frustrated with Charlie
Xan West
A solid second chance romance, that I wish had been deepened just a bit more. I wanted to see him adoring her more, wanted to see what she loved in him particularly.

I liked Charlie, liked all the basketball stuff and the coaching stuff. I liked the dress shopping bit too. The sex scenes have a lot of heat, and an undertone of tenderness. It wraps up very quickly and without resolving a core obstacle for the lovers, so I can't say the ending fully satisfied me.

Trigger Warnings (view spoiler)
Heidi Brown - Floyd
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook
If you are into romance and military this is the book for you. More romance than military but still great series. I am really enjoying this Alpha Ops series. This one was a page turner also. Had a very hard time putting down the book. Looking forward to the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book to my friends and family.
Jenn Cunha
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

Each of these Alpha Ops books seems to get better and better. Charlie and Jamie are high school sweethearts who get the chance to see each other as adults and it's only a matter of time before things get hot. The love scenes are steamy and yet there's plenty of heart in this novella. Well done Calhoun!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Insatiable (Cloverleigh Farms, #3)
  • Good Guy (Rookie Rebels #1)
  • Her Devoted HERO (Black Dawn, #2)
  • Fireworks (True North, #6)
  • The Match of the Century (Marrying the Duke, #1)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #3)
  • Her Steadfast Hero (Black Dawn, #1; Midnight Delta, #2.5)
  • Shielded by the Cowboy SEAL (SOS Agency #2)
  • Rocky Mountain Pursuit
  • Deadly Memories
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • Love and Protect (Heroes of Evers, Texas, #1)
  • Navy SEAL Security (Men of Valor #4)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Alpha's Promise (Dark Protectors #10)
  • A Case for the Winemaker (Ainsley McGregor series Book 1)
  • Demon's Mercy (Dark Protectors #9)
After doing time at Fortune 500 companies on both coasts, I found myself living in the suburbs of a small Midwestern city. The glamour of various cube farm jobs had worn off, so I gave up making a decent living to take Joseph Campbell’s advice and follow my bliss: writing romance.

Alpha Ops (6 books)
  • The SEAL's Secret Lover (Alpha Ops, #1)
  • The SEAL's Rebel Librarian (Alpha Ops, #2)
  • Under the Surface (Alpha Ops, #4)
  • Going Deep (Alpha Ops, #5)
  • Turn Me Loose (Alpha Ops, #6)