Start by marking “Hero (The Hero Rebellion #1)” as Want to Read:
Hero (The Hero Rebellion #1)

Hero

(The Hero Rebellion #1)

Centuries ago, humans colonised Jørn, a lonely planet on the far side of the galaxy. Arriving in five great colony ships, they quickly settled the surface only to discover, after a few short years, that the planet was killing them. The culprit, a native spore, carried on every wind to every corner of the globe.

Genetic engineering, blending DNA from Earth and Jørn species,
Published September 21st 2015 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero

Start your review of Hero (The Hero Rebellion #1)
Tracy
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hero is a the debut novel of Australian author Belinda Crawford. Crawford has created a fast paced science fiction story, set in a unique world that many adults and teens are going to love.

The novel is set on the planet Jorn. Humans have colonised this planet only to discover that a pollen on the planet is toxic to them. The human population survives in cloud cities.

Hero Regan is a young girl who is “special” – a title that she loathes. She hears voices and has been treated all her life as if
Leonie
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There aren't a lot of really good, recent, YA sci-fi books out there. Hero gave me just what I wanted in a story - conflict, hints of conspiracy, great characters, and companions. There's clearly more to come in the story, and I'm really looking forward to finding out what happens next. I was driven to keep on reading because I was fascinated by the world building and the excellent pacing.

I loved the companion animals, particularly Fink, the ruc-pard - I'm a sucker
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brhero
Finished reading: May 22nd 2016
Rating 4,5qqq

"All my life, everyone has used my 'ilness' as an excuse to take my choices away. I've been locked up, told what to eat, who I can be friends with, where I can go to school. They even forced those damn meds down my throat." She paused, breathing hard. "It's my life. Even if I'm sick, I'm the only one who should get to choose what I do and how I do it."

*** A copy of this bookwas kindly provided to mein exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view
Cherie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the time that I started this story, I had just finished a Norwegian crime thriller and my mind was not prepared for the transition to a YA, female named Hero, strange made up names, nor life in the future in a cloud city on another planet, colonized by humans.

I got over it, and the run was on. I never had any idea what was going to happen next and by the end of the story, knowing it was ending, I was already missing Hero, her friend, Norah, and their companions, Fink and Harish. It was a
Martin Rodoreda
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great story by Belinda - it was well written, exciting and left me wanting more! Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the sequel...
Nada Sobhi
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Hero wished she could be like that: big and strong and scary instead of just strange and small and special ."

Hero is the first instalment in the science fiction trilogy The Hero Rebellion by Belinda Crawford.
Set several hundred years in the future when the earth is no longer inhabitable, humans have moved to the planet Jorn, whose pollen has prompted them to build their cities in the skies to avoid deadly pollen.

The main character Hero has lived most of her life in a prison called home or
Sue
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is such a good read. The first part of the book reminded me of a mix of Harry Potter and The Golden Compass, if either of those books had included illegal street racing and police chases.

The story moves fast and just dumps you into the world with little to no explanation. If you like to be gently eased into a story, this book is not for you. The author assumes that the reader will keep up with the world building, new words and the action.

There were a lot of plot points developed in this
Shelley Nolan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a great time reading Hero and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. It was full of action, intrigue, with a fantastic cast of characters and creatures. LOOOOOVVVVE Fink, and the amazing world the author created. I never knew what to expect and did not want to put the book down.
Deb
I really enjoyed this book, a young adult science fiction novel which is the first book in the Hero Rebellion series by Australian author Belinda Crawford. Hero is a teenager who has to take medication because she hears voices. She’s treated as “special”, which she hates; her mother hires minders who watch everything she does, and she’s been kept away from the public all her life. Her only friend is Fink, the animal companion she communicates with telepathically, until she’s allowed to go to ...more
Martha
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
On a private luxury shuttle heading toward the main city of a terra-formed planet a sulky teenager is sullenly contemplating their approach to the space port, and in the way of teenagers from forever, hating her mother and her minders. For Hero Regen is special, which as far as she is concerned is a colossal pain in the you know where. This means she has to wear a silver bio-comp bracelet that allows her mother’s doctors to monitor her every movement and she isn’t allowed to do any of the ...more
Mawson Bear
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aimed at YA but recommended for anyone who likes sc-fi, fantasy, a pacy mystery.
Shelves: sci-fi
Hero Regan has been treated as 'special' all her life, most infuriatingly of all by her mother. She's tired of it. It's not as if she's dangerous just because of a few voices in her head, is it? And with Fink, her telepathic 600 kilo wooly companion to protect her, she feels hardly likely to be harmed by others.

She dreams of one day working groundside on the planet Jorn and living on her own terms. To prove her mettle to do that job she'd first have to win the dangerous barrier races. But if
Amelia
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amelia by: Space Opera Fans group
The first few chapters are a bit confusing because of so much new terminology and what not... world building indeed. But it keeps getting more and more interesting. This book is appropriate for young adults as the protagonist is a teen going through normal teen stuff (new school, having trouble making friends, a bit of an out cast, helicopter parent, etc) but in a totally different world, for sure.

This world has a lot of hybrid creatures and I did have trouble keeping up with what was what
The Book Junkie Reads . . .

An adventure of a young teen looking to make her life her own. Looking to find out what its like to be free. To live. To enjoy more than what was handed to her on a silver platter. The new planet. The changes made by the new world. The changed humans. The environment. There was a lot here to consume and enjoy. The science fiction side of things held me in place as the audio played. There was so much to connect with. The world, the science, the tech, the humans.

Narration from Jean
Carolyn Denman
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so now I really want my own ruc-pard, and I already have far too many fur-babies to take care of. Thanks Belinda. Also, I want a turn at one of those Twilight street races. Seriously, this book has some really in-depth world building behind it that I loved sinking my teeth into. I've missed reading such pure sci-fi lately, and I wish a little (holographic) birdy would lead me into a mystery this exciting!
Teresa
Buy Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/192...
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
The Hero Rebellion 1
Hero Regan is special, and not in a way she likes. She hears voices, voices in her head that other people can't. Surrounded by butlers, bodyguards and tutors, insulated from the outside world, her only solace is Fink, a six-hundred-kilogram, genetically engineered ruc-pard. They share lives, thoughts,
Jade
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I just want to say that unless I've read a book from the author before I start reading with no expectations in mind! This book however, was my first taste at si-fi fantasy and I wasn't really sure what to expect. In the end though I absolutely LOVED it and now officially want a ruc-pard (even if they are always hungry). The storyline itself is very well paced and once you get a few chapters in you want to know what Hero will get herself into next, especially after she stops taking her ...more
Sunny
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was... wow.

Hero is the story of a special girl who spends all her days being kept inside and monitored all day long when all she wants is to be normal and spend her life as a normal teenaged girl, with her pet hybrid-rat creature who can read her mind.
Sadly, she will never get to be normal, because she's had a destiny assigned to her by a geneticist about 300 years before.

I really enjoyed this audiobook. The narrator is superb and the world is unique and futuristic. Chalk it up to the fact
Iffet Burton
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For an established reader this will be a welcome addition to your collection
Joanne
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this debut novel the author has managed to create a totally unique world. While it took me a while to wrap head around the new concepts it didn’t take long for the story to take off.

The lead character hero is totally believable and I feel relatable. This book is full of action and it kept me reading, well actually listening to find out that happened. The narrator did an amazing job in capturing the feel of the book.

This book is a possible glimpse into what the future of the world could be
Lih Hwan
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Susan
I want a Wolsey! Yep, this story made me want a genetically modified companion beasty for my bestie! Fink was the star of the show. Hero was pretty good too, but her big six-legged cat Fink was my favorite character.

This story has a lot going for it – the hidden past, the current mystery, a polluted surface, and the elite ruling class trying to keep everything going their direction. While Hero is all for discovering about her past, her new best friends Norah is pretty hesitant (and I liked that
Luke
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original review posted at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-1Sw

Two Nerds Talking received a free review copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review...And that's how we do things!

Hero is a Science Fiction novel set in a undetermined point in the future where humanity has colonised the planet Jorn...only to find that the planet itself was toxic to human life. The solution was to turn the colony ships into massive floating cities that reminded me a lot of Bioshock: Infinite

Crops and livestock were
ChaRee Bradley
Hero - not really my hero

When I first started reading this book it caught my attention. As I got deeper into the story I began to feel more and more dissatisfied but wasn't sure why. Then it hit me. Usually when I am reading a really good well written story, the world and the characters become vivid in my mind. If the book is fantastic, I can see it so vividly that I am totally immersed and feel as if I am really there, part of the world, and I know the characters intimately.

Not only did I not
Sarah Fairbairn
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveozya
How would you feel if you had been told lies your whole life and forced to take medication when you knew you weren’t sick?

How would you feel if you found out you were a human hybrid and that your whole life had been some sort of long running science experiment?

Would you strive to live up to some higher purpose or turn on those around you?

Hero is the first book in The Hero Rebellion and it introduces us to Hero Regan. We see Hero battle normal teenager issues; school bullies and finding out who
Tahnee Burke
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was a great book from the storyline perspective!!!!!!
I almost gave it 4 stars but couldn't because of some problems with the way it was written. Loved the idea and Tybalt's character and the whole race aspect of the story. I do hope that the next one has more of the racing in it :D

It was fun and the ideas were very exciting and large, except I have a few problems with the actual writing.
I found Hero, the main character, to be too selfish and spoiled at the start.
I found it
Lelia Taylor

Hero is one of those books that I can’t quite make up my mind about. Granted, it has a lot of the elements I want in science fiction—intriguing setting, interesting characters, imaginative extras, a bit of mystery, et al—but, as much as I enjoyed the idea, I never quite connected with Hero or the other human players. On the other hand, I’m madly in love with Fink, a sort of kitty (officially a ruc-pard) who’s a genetic modification and the best friend a girl could have.

One thing I
Andi
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me and I wasn't sure what to expect. I like science fiction, so the idea of colonized planets, genetic hybrids and a good conspiracy appealed to me. I have to say I enjoyed the story that Belinda Crawford created in Hero. There was something for everyone.

In this story, we find Hero at that point where she's trying to figure out who she is and who she wants to be. She's finally got a chance at a small amount of freedom, going to school, and is looking for even more.
Emmyjo
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for being a ya sci-fi book. I love this type of stuff. Hero is great she really is special she can hear voice that no one can. And to top it off she has a Fink, a six-hundred-kilogram, genetically engineered ruc-pard. Which I admit was confused about it at first. But those two are funny about food. Plus Fink is like a bodyguard.
When Hero starts starts at a school that she wants to, she thinks this is my chance to go outside our colony. Her mother doesn't tell her much and
Dawn
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Girls just want... wanna have fun... girls... wanna have...

Hero totally nails that. What we've got here is a great, light, fun, futuristic sci-fi romp. Not too light, after all, we're trying to save the world here. More is a great, light, fun, futuristic sci-fi romp. Not too light, after all, we're trying to save the world here. But Star Wars Episode IV light.

it's got everything young and old geeks alike will love. Teen rebellion, sky-domes, dangerous street racing on genetically modified pets,
Steph Bennion
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
I admit I'm the wrong side of 40 to be the target audience for this book, but YA sci-fi generally provides a good story so I thought I'd give it a go. I liked the 'sky city' setting, biological technology and the racing sequences. However, I never warmed to Hero, whom I thought came across as a bit of a spoiled brat at times. The presence of the creature companions never entirely made sense in the sci-fi setting either, but that's probably just me. Any new YA sci-fi book is to be applauded.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to a series 3 14 Nov 30, 2016 10:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: Create a new series 3 11 Sep 26, 2016 04:04PM

• You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • T-Minus
  • Ark
  • Daughter of Shades (The Venatrix Chronicles, #1)
  • First of Their Kind
  • Spellcaster Academy: Magical Realism, Episode 1
  • Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga Book 1)
  • Summer Frost
  • Randomize
  • Spellcaster Academy: The Dark Curse, Episode 2
  • Emergency Skin
  • Beyond the Gates (The Starborn Redemption Book 1)
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • Beneath the Surface (Outsider Project #1)
  • The Vampire Eirik
  • Vortex Visions (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Be Good
  • The Blind Spot: A Dystopian Cyberpunk Novel (Neon Horizon #1)
Belinda is a geek. She loves Star Wars, Dr Who, spaceships and girls who kick butt. When she’s not writing books or playing Guild Wars, she’s on a horse named Wombat or wrangling a small herd of cats and a dog who puts the "terror" in Terrier.

The Hero Rebellion was her first sci-fi trilogy, and now that's complete, she's hard at work on a brand-spankin' new series set in the Jørn universe.

The Hero Rebellion (3 books)
  • Riven (The Hero Rebellion, #2)
  • Regan
“Just because they say it, doesn't mean you have to believe it.” 2 likes
“All my life, everyone has used my 'ilness' as an excuse to take my choices away. I've been locked up, told what to eat, who I can be friends with, where I can go to school. They even forced those damn meds down my throat." She paused, breathing hard. "It's my life. Even if I'm sick, I'm the only one who should get to choose what I do and how I do it.” 1 likes