Start by marking “Critical Encounters in Secondary English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents, Third Edition (Language & Literacy Series)” as Want to Read:

Because of the emphasis placed on nonfiction and informational texts by the Common Core State Standards, literature teachers all over the country are re-evaluating their curriculum and looking for thoughtful ways to incorporate nonfiction into their courses. They are also rethinking their pedagogy as they consider ways to approach texts that are outside the usual fare of s

Published January 30th 2015 by Teachers College Press

To ask other readers questions about Critical Encounters in Secondary English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Encounters in Secondary English

Start your review of Critical Encounters in Secondary English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents, Third Edition (Language & Literacy Series)
Margaret
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging

I had to read this for class...but I really enjoyed it! I used some of the quotes in the classroom when students ask the question, "Why are we learning this? What's the point?". Great resource!
Brandey Gillenwater
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found it very helpful. I like the included activities and the different perspectives the author has on lessons.
Pauline
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Also, an excellent resource for my preservice teachers; using it in Methods to help students understand the importance of literary theory in lesson and unit planning.
Tori
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
While I don't know that everything in this book was as clear as it should've been, it was a really incredible resource that covered an assortment of the lenses used to read literature through. I really enjoyed the class activities and handouts provided in the appendix and will be sure to use a few of those in my classroom.
Travis Jensen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent literary theory overview

This book does a decent job of exploring various literary theories and how the mindful teacher can incorporate them in the classroom. The appendix is particularly useful
Derek's Book Choices 1 1 Sep 09, 2015 11:29PM