Start by marking “Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)” as Want to Read:

Beyond Ecophobia speaks to teachers, parents, and others interested in nurturing in children the ability to understand and care for nature. This expanded version of one of Orion Magazine's most popular articles includes descriptions of developmentally appropriate environmental education activities and a list of related children's books.
Published February 15th 1999 by Orion Society

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Ecophobia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Ecophobia

Julia
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
An interesting essay for educators (and likely parents too). I especially appreciated the way in which David Sobel addresses the cognitive readiness regarding when younger generations should be introduced to environmental concerns.
J.R. Dodson
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No fluff here...a straightforward and essential read for parents and early childhood educators everywhere.
David Rudin
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is really more of an essay than a book (only 36 pages) but important nonetheless as it explores environmental education for children, connecting different types of activities to different ages. The basic message of the book is to not overburden very young children with the problems of the world but rather allow them to fall in love and then explore nature. Activism beyond the local is something more appropriate for adolescence.

There are some great examples of activities conducted with kids
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My only complaint is that I wish it was longer!
Matt
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very important book in the environmental education canon. Using children’s developmental levels to prescribe the appropriate curriculum for learning about nature is the focus of this short text. It’s foundational and essential.
Crystal W
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very quick read (more like a pamphlet). But it makes very compelling points about connecting children with nature before educating them. And being mindful of when to introduce global initiatives.
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Important reading for anyone discussing environmental issues with children.
Ruby
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An expanded writing from an Orion article that talks about how exposing kids to frightening concepts like fore a sense of love for nature is actually more harmful to the environmental movement.
Brandon
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beyond Ecophobia is a very quick read, but it packs a pretty powerful punch into those few pages. Sobel's ideas about how to expose children to the wonders and concerns of our natural world are inspiring. I've learned some valuable lessons on how I'd like my children to experience and appreciate nature as they grow.
Will White
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ALL ADULTS, PLEASE READ THIS BOOK! Only 39 pages. I own it and will loan it out.
"With a clear message that effective nature education gets kids outside to explore the place where they live, this extremely powerful and readable book raises hard questions about teaching practices and puts into words what many of us feel." Green Teacher

Lee
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaia-reading
If you love the earth and love children, this is a must read! David Sobel writes with clarity how children are being denied what used to be taken for granted as part of childhood--being comfortable with nature and identifying with it.

It is a very short book, more like a long essay. I loved it.
Lindsey
Teaching the world's problems to our students overwhelms them and causes the to disengage. Here, Sobel identifies ways to teach students to connect to their local earth so they are prepare to tackle the world's problems at a more developmentally appropriate time. Quick read.
Todd
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sobel brings up excellent concepts in this article. I think it is important for educators to consider the goals of environmental education.
Leah
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great for thinking about environmental learning in schools.
Whole Terrain
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read the Whole Terrain interview of David Sobel about this book.
Leah
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some good ideas, a lot of generalizations based on the author's rather narrow viewpoint, not backed by solid research.
Emily Leedy
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very concise and to the point. This is definitely a must read for anyone working in environmental/outdoor education.
Bruce Young
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great essay for environmental educators. I just wish it had been longer!
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great, short read. Makes you think twice about your past schooling.
Ann
Jul 30, 2009 is currently reading it
I am enjoying the "empathy, exploration" aspects of David Sobel's book, compared with "standards-based curriculum" books that tend to have a narrower, scientific scope.
Ndecker1
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book. Very short... but very informative. I really want to incorporate a lot of this in my classroom.
Diane
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT book for any parent or educator.

• Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • The Forgotten Pollinators
  • The Geography of Childhood
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Deschooling Our Lives
  • The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder
  • Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You
  • Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know about Schools and Rediscover Education
  • Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School
  • American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau