Start by marking “Standing on My Brother's Shoulders: Making Peace with Grief and Suicide - A True Story” as Want to Read:

A suicide losssurvivor tells her story.

Tara Lal’s childhood was battered by her father’s mental illness and by her mother’s death when she was thirteen. Caught up in grief and despair, she developed a deep, caring bond with her charismatic and kind older brother Adam, though he struggled silently with growing anxiety and depression. Four years after their mother’s death,
Published September 15th 2015 by Watkins Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Standing on My Brother's Shoulders, please sign up.
Anne Martin yes, it will. It will repeat what you wrote : you cannot control anyone else's reaction to life, no matter how much you love them. Suicide is taboo in…moreyes, it will. It will repeat what you wrote : you cannot control anyone else's reaction to life, no matter how much you love them. Suicide is taboo in our societies and people feel guilt and shame when someone close to them killed himself. But you cannot change anything, and that is what the book is about.(less)

Start your review of Standing on My Brother's Shoulders: Making Peace with Grief and Suicide - A True Story
Anne Martin
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Tara tells her story, and it is not an easy one. She lost her mother, who was the backbone of the family at 13. Her dad did not know what to live for afterwards, but survived. Tara got closer to Adam, her older brother, and they comforted each other through letters while apart, Adam at Oxford, Tara finishing high school. Then, the unexpected happens when she is 17, Adam commits suicide.
Tara tries to describe the emptiness of her life, with no anchor point, no place to call home, no one to give
Denise DiFalco
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Tara J. Lal offers real hope to those who have encountered tragedy. This book tells the story of the Lal family where the mother, Bridget, steps up to take on the bulk of the household responsibity because her husband suffers from numerous nervous breakdowns. For the years, she is the glue that keeps everything together and the children admire her. Despite the obvious difficulties, the family is close. Tara has an older sister, Jo and Brother Adam. Her bond with her brother is significant. He is ...more
Charlotte Anderson
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to me from NetGalley for my honest review.
This is Tara's true story about how she had to deal with her mother's death, who was the backbone of the family that held everything together, how her father did not know how to deal with the death of his wife.
During this time Tara and her older brother, Adam, formed a bond Then at the age of 17 Tara's brother committed suicide while he was is school at Oxford. With her mother's death and now her brother's suicide, Tara had to seek
Corinne Rodrigues
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tara loved and hero worshipped her brother and when he took such an extreme step, he left her totally devastated. The book is honest, insightful and I was totally caught up with Tara's story of loss and survival and how she broke the cycle of grief and despair in her own life.
TheCosyDragon
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it

Standing on my Brother’s Shoulders is a novel about Tara J Lal and her journey towards acceptance of the grief brought by her brother’s suicide. She also must face her father’s madness and her mother’s death.

It could be quite a heavy book but Lal makes an effort to keep the action moving and to always have a bit of humour. If not, there was a
Angela Suzanne
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It took me a while to get into this memoir because the first several chapters were background information which I didn't find all that interesting. The memoir did hold my attention enough for me to stick through the background chapters to get to the part where it deals with Tara's brother's depression and suicide. Before reading this book, I thought it was going to focus more on mental health than it actually did, but it was still
Gwen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
This book teaches us how to be sensitive enough and to open our eyes and hearts to all possibilities, and most importantly, to accept. It lets us know that this can happen to anyone and instantly. It has some great quotes that are applicable to all life situations, and a Do's and Don't's guide in handling depression and suicide ideations/attempts of our family or friends.
Susan
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-read
I was lucky enough to win this book through Goodreads. It was a very heartfelt, deep book. It could have been really dark but the author lightened it up w/humor. Very enriching. Thank you for sharing.
Lori Byrd
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can understand all the heartache and pain you endured. What a brave story to tell. I loved it.