Start by marking “Shades in Shadow (Inheritance, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5)” as Want to Read:
Shades in Shadow (Inheritance, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5)

Shades in Shadow

(Inheritance Trilogy 0.5, 1.5, 2.5)

Three brand new short stories by Hugo, Nebula & World Fantasy Award nominated author N.K. Jemisin, set in the world of the Inheritance trilogy.

From the shadows of the greater stories, away from the bright light of Sky and wending 'round the sagas of the Arameri, come three quieter tales. A newborn god with an old, old soul struggles to find a reason to live. A
Published July 28th 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Shades in Shadow, please sign up.
N.K. Jemisin Whoops, sorry, just saw this. Yes, 2 of the 3 stories spoil KoG pretty thoroughly. I'm not sure who labeled the collection this way, but to clarify,…moreWhoops, sorry, just saw this. Yes, 2 of the 3 stories spoil KoG pretty thoroughly. I'm not sure who labeled the collection this way, but to clarify, the first story is a prequel to THE HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS, and the latter two stories are meant to be read after you've read the trilogy.(less)

Start your review of Shades in Shadow (Inheritance, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5)
Gergana
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, as always! Three short stories:
1. The first one is about Nahadoth's imprisonment and takes place before the events of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. It was really sad and uplifting at the same time! Perfect!
2. The second one is about Hado, the human vessel of the god of darkness and what happens to him after he's freed. Beautiful!
3. And the last one follows Glee, the daughter of the God of light, and her journey to finding her father and figuring his purpose in life.

Sill fangirling
Alina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

First of all, I strongly recommend this to be read AFTER the main books in the trilogy, as it contains some (not so small) spoilers.

The collection consists of three very beautiful, yet somewhat cryptic, stories about discovering one’s true self and finding a meaning in life:
The Wild Boy is the story of Nahadoth’s early period of coping with Itempas’s betrayal;
The God Without a Name follows Hado (Nahadoth’s daytime vessel during his imprisonment) after he is freed and let to live his own
Nikki
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This ebook is a collection of three short stories set in the same universe as The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. It revisits some of the characters and the consequences of the original trilogy, giving us a little more of Nahadoth, Hado and Glee Shoth, in turn. I’m fairly sure I missed out on some of the details because I haven’t read the books recently enough; I’m very sure I’ll reread this when I have, to fully appreciate it. As it is, though, they’re well-crafted stories, with the beautiful ...more
Morgan Dhu
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
N. K. Jemisin's Shades in Shadow is a modest collection - three stories set in the universe of her Inheritance trilogy - but a welcome one. In a sense, these small gems are almost sidebars to the main story told in the trilogy, scenes that were not essential to the overall narrative, but enhance our understanding of some of the characters.

"The Wild Boy" is a prequel, set in the early days of Nahadoth's confinement, and tells a story of his relationship with a mortal determined to avenge himself
Lindsay
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent addition to the Inheritance trilogy, although I wouldn't classify it as a prequel. Each of the stories require knowledge from the original trilogy, even if one of them is set chronologically beforehand.
Caitlin
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These short stories are an excellent addition to the main series. I particularly liked the Nahadoth story, as he is such an interesting force in the Inheritance universe.
Mieneke
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
N.K. Jemisin is one of my favourite authors and I absolutely loved her Inheritance trilogy. So when Shades in Shadow was released, I was so happy to get to go back to that world. I loved the way the stories connected to the three original books and to each other. Apart from featuring characters from the books, the stories also strongly echo some of the larger themes of the books: identity, free choice and self-determination, and how love takes many different forms.

Of the three stories, the final
Daphne
This is a short story set in the Inheritance Trilogy, it focuses on 3 characters, fleshing out the stories they had in the books. While it was nice to see a little more background and it's always a treat to learn more about this world, I felt like the individual stories were all a little too short to really add much to the overall plot. It's a fun companion to the trilogy, but it can easily be skipped.
Deb
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Returning to Inheritance

To come back to the world of the Inheritance trilogy through this triptych reminded me why I fell so in love with the series. The characters are so uniquely loveable, and the way N.K. puts words down is simply magical.
Tasula
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I love this author, and I really liked the last story in this book, but the others not so much. I think it's because her world building works better in a longer tale, or that I didn't like the vagueness of her descriptions. The series which starts with The Fifth Season is my favorite of her books, just fabulous.
Cheri
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Short stories continue to be problematic for me. I liked how they added bits of richness to the trilogy, but they didn't pull me in a thoroughly as The Awakened Kingdom is. I like Jemisin when she has a bit more room to wiggle.

That said, a worthwhile addition to the trilogy.
Soorya
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A collection of 3 Inheritance short stories about Nahadoth, Ahad and Glee. Timeline-wise it's all over the place, so it's best to read this after finishing the trilogy.

The first story features an enslaved Nahadoth and takes place before The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. It explores his nature and was quite interesting. The ending had a twist that I didn't expect (surprising since it's a prequel), and answers some unexplained questions from the trilogy.

The second one focuses on Ahad/Hado and takes
Cari
Jun 03, 2016 added it
These are great short stories to learn more about some of the "Inheritance Trilogy" main characters. The first one features Nahadoth ("The Wild Boy"), the second one Ahad ("The God Without A Name") and the third one Glee ("The Third Why").

Nahadoth's story takes place before "A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms." Ahad's story is best understood after reading the whole trilogy. And Glee's story happens some time after "The Broken Kingdom."
Joanna Chaplin
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I think this novella is better enjoyed relatively soon after the Trilogy. I struggled in particular to remember what was going on with the middle character. I think I'm good now to leave this universe, and I'm looking forward to The Fifth Season.
Nancy
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-reads, year-2016
It's been a while since I've been in this world, so I'd forgotten a lot of names and details, but it's still good reading.
RIN ಠ_ಠ
Tasty little ficlets.
Jason
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
For those who enjoyed the Inheritance series, this is a decent, though largely unnecessary, addition. It's three fairly short stories that are tangentially related to the main series.

The first story is about Nahadoth early in his captivity, and how he reacts and adapts to that. Its an OK story, but doesn't really add anything to the greater story. The second short story is about Nahadoth's "day form" from the first book, and how he adapts to being separated from Nahadoth and develops into his
Adam
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Three short stories interspersed throughout the Inheritance Trilogy's narrative.

First one about Nahadoth deciding to fight back against Itempas, didn't care for. Characters' perspectives, plot, just didn't do it for me.

Second one about Ahad's life through the end of the trilogy was amusing, mostly because of the ambivalence he has with his own existence. Raised with mortals, when he finally realizes his own godhood, he sullenly follows his mild interests through the world. The tone of the story
Aaron S
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shades in Shadow is a very indulgent little collection. Jemison is extremely good at coming into story late, so that events are well in motion by the time the protagonist arrives on the scene. in the Inheritance series this means that many important characters go through significant development between books. Each of these stories focuses on showing that skipped over development. So these stories are filling in content that was deemed unnecessary in the novels. Fortunately I like indulgent ...more
2TReads
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the mind of N. K. Jemisin comes three indisputably original short stories that give us another glimpse into the Inheritance universe.
These three stories take us into the mind of an imprisoned god as he drifts and bides his time for his escape; the god without a name sets out to discover what his nature is and also whether 'he' needs a name; Glee wants to find her father and in doing so uncovers her destiny and ushers in her father's 're-birth'.
All three were utterly enthralling and I did
Robert
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was worried that this book would contain the short story from the Inheritance Trilogy... but it did not! Yay. Even though the stories are labeled as .5s, that is where they fit into the story chronologically. I would not recommend reading .5 before reading the first book and then 1.5 after first (and so on). These books and the short story included in the Inheritance Trilogy were most enjoyable after reading the entire series. They explains things after the fact - reading them before hand will ...more
Shreyas
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains three short stories from the world of the Inheritance trilogy. The short stories contain spoilers for the trilogy and hence it is recommended to read them after finishing the trilogy.

1) The Wild Boy:-
Chronology covered: Before Book 1.
Rating: 4.0/5

2) The God Without A Name:-
Chronology covered: After Book 1; Books 2 to 3; Immediately after Book 3.
Notes: Loved the whole story. Personal favorite was the Nautilus part.
Rating: 5.0/5

3) The Third Why:-
Chronology covered: Between
Kes
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
This is a quiet but lovely collection of vignettes. After having taken some time away from the Inheritance Trilogy, it's refreshing to just luxuriate in the description (which Jemisin does wonderfully):

Most of it is routine, and supremely boring. Stars - sparkle flare sparkle. Planes - spin shatter spin. Life - chatter chitter chatter. The unutterable tedium of a breathing, beating universe.
Anurag Sahay
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a short and sweet addition to the Inheritance Trilogy - it has nothing that isn't covered in the Trilogy itself (though not necessarily in the specifics).

I recommend reading these if you liked the trilogy! The story about Nahadoth isn't very appealing, but the ones about Naha/Hado/Ahad and Glee throw some light on the inner monologues of some of the most interesting characters from book 3.
Katherine
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice little trio of short stories that paint in some more corners of the Inheritance Trilogy world. These should be generally read after the trilogy is complete, so as to avoid spoilers.

Nice little tidbits that color in the backgrounds of some of the other characters in the trilogy. Very nice little read.
Matthew
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, the three stories shown here are fine but ultimately unnecessary to enjoy the series as a whole. You get some extra character development for events prior to and during the trilogy. Not many reveals beyond what we already know. Overall, a fine read but I almost wish I didn't buy it now. Oh well.
Aris Merquoni
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-reader
Definitely a companion to the Inheritance trilogy rather than standalone stories, these are engaging looks into characters we didn't get to spend much time with in the full trilogy.

The second story has spoilers for Book #3, so save reading it for afterward.
SR
Each of these is compelling, and together they make a fascinating analysis-through-art of the intersecting natures of godhood and humanity in the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - as well as just family dynamics, which aren't any easier when half of you are divine.
Erin Henry
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Interesting short stories to follow the original trilogy. They are somewhat cryptic but give you an idea what happens with certain characters.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Raven Tower
  • The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Summer Frost
  • Auberon
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Travel Light
  • Home (Binti, #2)
  • Then Will the Sun Rise Alabaster
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Waiting on a Bright Moon
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Empress of Forever
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • Laughter at the Academy
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Benjamin Ashwood Short Stories, Vol. 1
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.

Inheritance Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • The Kingdom of Gods (Inheritance, #3)
“He is still uncertain if he likes being a god at all, let alone a god in this pantheon. He doesn’t hate it anymore, though, and that is something. He likes being alive, too. That feeling is new and altogether strange, and he knows it won’t last forever. Nothing good ever does. But perhaps…he can learn to like being happy. While it lasts.” 1 likes
“Maybe if gods weren’t all crazy, their language wouldn’t be such an exercise in futility for him.” 0 likes