Start by marking “Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You” as Want to Read:
Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You

Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You

Don't fight for customers, let them fight over you!

Have you ever queued for a restaurant? Pre-ordered something months in advance? Fought for tickets that sell out in a day? Had a hairdresser with a six-month waiting list? There are people who don't chase clients, clients chase them. In a world of endless choices, why does this happen? Why do people queue up? Why do they

Published March 4th 2015 by Capstone

To ask other readers questions about Oversubscribed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oversubscribed

Start your review of Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
Pat G
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To say this is the best book I've read in 2019 is an understatement..

"There's no scarcity in the world for people who share abundantly. One of the ways I keep myself oversubscribed today is by the very process of sharing big ideas. I've come to discover that the more I share, the more people demand."

How?

Build your own market by cultivating a tribe of people who are loyal to your business, your products, your personality and your philosophy. Rally your own troops. Break those people away from the
Fabrizio Poli
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book revolves around the concept of creating exclusivity/scarcity around your product and/or service.
None of what the author has put in this book is original, which is why I gave it 2 stars.
He talks about the Net Promoter Score (NPS) and never talks about where it comes from, almost as if he wants the reader to think he came up with the concept.

To find out about NPS, read "Answering the Ultimate Question" by Richard Owen and Dr. Laura Brooks of Satmetrix here they describe the Net Promoter
Natalie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great tips, real life examples and simple concepts to help change the way we look at business and being entrepreneurs. Great to think of capacity and setting limits to ensure a high level of service to clients. The example of a personal trainer who caters to a specific clientele, and how that changed this professional's life and wealth... This book spurred a lot of ideas, which I will try.
Shaw
Dec 28, 2015 added it
Great principals, great examples. I really enjoyed this book. Absolutely, worth the 5 hours.
BLACK CAT
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marketing of how to create your own market and select only the customer that are willing to be your ideal customers. Similar to the idea of the 20/80 principle: go after only the customer that generate the most revenue.
Maya Panika
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely terrific business book, a real breath of fresh air. I really cannot recommend this startling and inspirational little tome highly enough, especially if you’re a small business looking to renew the spark, wanting to regenerate, or a start up or even a one man/woman band. It is very readable; concise – just 200 pages long and not a trace of fat on the bones. It is full of innovative ideas to really get the imagination spinning and ideas sparking, and at its heart, a truly exciting ...more
Paul McGillivray
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been running my own business for over 18 years, and this is certainly one of the most valuable and inspirational business books I’ve read during that time. I’d read Key Person of Influence back to back while in holiday, and followed it on right away with this book, and simply couldn’t put it down.

Priestley runs through the essential principles in creating more demand than supply. This is a combination of a marketing framework and a framework for running a successful business. From key roles
Liam Delahunty
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Decent enough book essentially on making your business unique so that you've defined your market.

I think some of this has been said better by Seth Godin and others. It's a light easy read but he does seem to fall into the trap of thinking that freelancers and entrepreneurs can behave the same way / are the same thing.

As a (mainly) freelancer I am not in a position to employ or partner with three others as he suggests is vital to grow the business.

It does have some useful reminders and is a
Keith
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wasn't all that impressed by this book. It lacks in any real substance (I finished it in a couple of hours), mostly about strategy but not much in the way of tactics. I got the impression that it was only published as a lead generator for the author. Definitely better books out there if you're a freelancer like me, 'The Well Fed Writer' by Pete Bowerman for one.
Mahmood Al-yousif
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Light on substance and originality. Feels like it's written as a gateway for the author to gain reputation and higher speaker fees. The whole premise of the book is to marketing campaigns and provide exclusivity, however no real examples or case studies are given. The concept is good but a disappointing read.
Sean Xie
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a read

This is probably the most inspiring and yet down to earth and practical business book I've ever read. There is no BS, no bragging, a simple bag of gold that you can use to your daily business life. Can't recommend it highly enough
Michal
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this innovative approach of getting "oversubscribed." It pretty much describes the good ol' concept of sales conversions, but looks at it from a different & innovative angle. There are some good & actionable take-aways.
Drae Box
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just the thing for entrepreneurs, small business owners and (with some creativity) authors to take lessons from and put into action. Fantastic!
Umair Aslam
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Ordinary and most facts are known. Good for people who are starting their own businesses and would want to understand how some businesses work creating hype around their products. Dwells a little too much on the hype part and perceptual side of the business. I think what is imp is how to create a business / product that will be oversubscribed due to the product and not the theatrics. The last part about paddling and cde teams was also ordinary and something that should not come as the end but a ...more
Andrea Angella
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Your job is not to please anyone but finding the people who want to follow you! Find your niche and get comfortable on some people missing out on what you have to offer. Become more influential, involve others in your ideas and products and build your brand. Focus on serving your customers (spend even more than advertising for that) and turn them into celebrities. Celebrate their successes. Remember that it's OK to fail.
Libby Andrews
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, inspirational read detailing how you can make your business one that’s in demand. Priestly gives plenty of useful hints and tips to help you along the way. He explains how to make your customer feel valued and how to look at the value you offer. I’ve highlighted lots of paragraphs to use in my own business and urge anyone to read and do the same.
Katrina Douglas
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Part 2 of the book 'buiding up to being oversubscribed' was my favourite part and contains a great model for success. Beyond this some good ideas but nothing that most business owners wouldn't already be familliar with. The book is still worth reading though and Daniel Priestly's model for being overscribed is quite a good one.
Dustin Overbeck
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very well written book and quite helpful for entrepreneurs. To me it offered a different perspective of attracting clients.

Instead of trying to get the most customers, this book talks about trying to get just the best. And to get them lined up and to be oversubscribed, you need to provide a 5-star experience when engaging with the customers
Mike
Oversubscribed is a lesson on supply and demand. The author fills the book with dozens of examples of scarcity, generating interests, setting up a team, creating value, and much more. The book is a short read at 210 pages and has tools to support a lot of the ideas provided. Overall, I walked away with a few new ideas and that’s a win in my book.
Ross Craig
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the first couple of pages I thought this was going to be a bog-standard Kindle book about business... but it's actually very useful. It's written clearly, offers real world examples and avoids either gobbledegook or boasting. A refreshing and interesting guide that could be applied to many businesses.
Khai Sheng
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a cool concept that the author put forward of creating demand, and having the discipline to manage capacity.

Of course, it's not the most original but it is hypnotic to read Priestley's anecdotes and real-life examples of how a few simple business tricks and a play on consumer behaviour can really make the difference when starting a business. An interesting read nevertheless!
Fadilah
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This a more recent book from the same author of Key Person of Influence. Again, another simple steps, and this one more relatable because it’s more recent. It did mention KPI at some point, and talked about the same personal trainer in the KPI book. But overall, this has great examples especially for people in the business and wanna make it oversubscribe.
Sam Sahota
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aussie Daniel Priestley does a splendid job in explaining what it takes to create scarcity and be "oversubscribed" for your niche market while others continue to fight it out at the bottom of the food chain.
David White
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just terrible.
Dennis Lindsey
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading again and again
Zahraa El-Kabengi
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! Even beneficial to non-buisness related projects/organisations! Well and precisely written!
Catherine
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Some passages more suited to larger companies rather than sole traders but some sound takeaways, and less repetitive than many books of its type.
Kim Eales
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, A comment that we all say is that a writer puts information into a book that we already know. Here is a book that give you that plus examples of how to apply.
Tristan Bills
Jun 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not very original, informative, or actionable.
Oleksandr Tryshchenko
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just amazing

• Why We Get the Wrong Politicians
  • Key Person of Influence: The Five-Step Method to become one of the most highly valued and highly paid people in your industry
  • Black Box Thinking: Why Some People Never Learn from Their Mistakes - But Some Do
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Techniques for Retraining Your Brain
  • The Multi-Hyphen Method: Work less, create more, and design a career that works for you
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
  • From Impossible to Inevitable: How Hyper-Growth Companies Create Predictable Revenue
  • How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It
  • The 7 Day Startup: You Don't Learn Until You Launch
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • Start Now. Get Perfect Later.
  • Buddhism for Busy People: Finding Happiness in an Uncertain World
  • The Infinite Game
  • Money: Know More, Make More, Give More
  • The Confidence Gap
  • Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling