Start by marking “The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings” as Want to Read:
The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings

The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings

"This sensitive book . . . encourages young ones to open up and discuss how they feel, even when their thoughts are confusing." —Parents

We teach toddlers to identify colors, numbers, shapes, and letters—but what about their feelings? By illustrating such common emotions as happiness, sadness, anger, fear, and calm, this sensitive book gently encourages young children to open up—Parents
Published September 1st 2015 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Color Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color Monster

Start your review of The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic first book on emotions!
Sarah Loggia
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This children's book is so cute and colourful! Being an ESL teacher, I am so glad to have gotten my hands on this book. The language is simple and well thought out. This is a great book to teach young students about their emotions. Definitely going to be using this in my classroom!
Fiona Hill
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, ks1
Wow, what a monster of a book! Using colours to show different feelings to children, with wonderful pop-up illustrations. This is a must read! Thanks for the recommendation Olivia.H and Mat Tobin.
KC
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story about our emotions and the colors that often represent them.
Vera Godley
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not particularly fond of monsters. Well, what I mean is monster stories and all the stuff 'n nonsense that goes along with scary, hairy stuff. But I recently had the opportunity to snag two or three "monster" books written for the very young, and I have been delightfully surprised.

In Anna Llenas' The Color Monster: A Pop-up Book of Feelings there is a wonderful presentation in page after page of engaging pop-ups that children will absolutely love. They virtually leap off the page
Tracy Morton
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a great book for a Child and Youth Worker or a parent helping a child learn about emotions. Great pictures.
Samantha
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Colors and the emotions commonly associated with them are explored in this pop-up book in which the Color Monster is helped by a little girl when his emotions become all jumbled up like a scribble drawing.

Pop-ups are fresh and mixed media artwork very effectively communicates each emotion.

PreK-2.
Heydi Smith
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
An instant favorite! How could you not love this amazing monster whose feelings are colors?

The pop-ups are incredible. This book is sure to be asked for time and again, until it falls apart!

I would pair it with How are you Peeling by Saxton Freymann, I was so Mad by Mercer Mayer, Ophelia by Ingred Schubert, and Wild Feelings by David Milgrim.
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The color monster is a mixed-up mess and sorts his colors (feelings) into jars, and names and describes them with the help of his little-girl pal. I think this could be very useful for kids who get overcome with emotion. It helps to name things.
Beth
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely gorgeous pop up book that would be a great mentor text to discuss how we associate and describe feelings with colors.
Melanie
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This monster is sorting out his colors, and like a kid, I can't help but love bright, complex pop ups. Yay!
Gigi
This book takes a look at feelings that can be confusing and hard for kids to name and helps make sense of them. The pop ups are amazing!
Corina Hoenshell
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT Book!!!! 💙💙💙
Haley Overton
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Title: The Color Monster
Author/Illustrator: Anna Llenas
Genre: Fiction, Pop-up book
Theme(s): emotions, feelings, color, expression, monsters
Opening line/sentence:
This is my friend the color monster.
Today he’s feeling all big stuff,
but he doesn’t understand why.

Brief Book Summary: A monster is working on sorting out all of the emotions he is feeling.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:

Name of Reviewer: Kirkus (Kirkus Reviews, December 1, 2015 (Vol. 8
TaNera Rodriguez
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While at the library reading this, I could picture all of the activities I could do with this book. That being said that's how you know it's a good book.
Julia Nolt
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this to my class of 3-4 year olds today and it lead to a very in depth discussion about how we deal with emotions. We talked about how to deal with anger and what makes us feel better when we're scared and all the things that make us happy and feel love. My little sweeties and I LOVE this book. Thank you to the author for helping bring about these conversations and helping me bond with my kids :)
Melissa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable with super cool pop-ups. Emotions are depicted as different colors with brief explanations of what you want to do when you feel these emotions (it is written in 2nd person). A little girl helps the color monster sort out his feelings until all he's feeling is love. The pop-ups are neat but make it a difficult option for storytime. Might be okay in the classroom, definitely good for one-on-one.
Maggie Hesseling
A great picture pop-up book about emotions. Beautifully put together and imaginative. It's a great way to start a conversation with a child on emotions and what they are feeling at any given time- what it means to be angry, sad, happy, etc.
But at the same time its the perfect gift for someone who loves beautiful books!

I was incredibly lucky to have it not only read to me but translated at the same time (we found the Portuguese version) and immediately fell in love with the book.

Mimi.Y
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mimi.Y by: a customer
Shelves: picture-books
A customer today day told me this is her favorite book. So you know me I had to read it because I was curious because it was a pop book about color and it remind me of the Day the Crayons Quit. I love how the author put color and emotion together. If the monster has to many mix colors it effects his emotions so the best thing to do is to separate.
Emmy Johnston
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott
The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings is an excellent book for children of any elementary age but mainly for age 4 to 6 because of the pop-up content. The story follows a monster who is mixed-up about his emotions and is coming to terms with his emotions. He sorts them into jars to help understand. The monster is illustrated in a very child-like way, as is the little girl.
Rameya Shanmugavelayutham
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best children's book I've seen to teach kids about feelings. I use it with kindergartener and they love it.
Amanda
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Another good book to help kids understand their big feelings a little better
Joy Lane
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
lovely images and I love it as a pop-up book
Karyn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Such a beautiful story.
Cara Byrne
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great pop up book that visualizes feelings. A library storytime read.
Anne Lutomia
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book on emotions and their colors and what to do with them.
Kelly Baxter
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for SEL lesson read aloud. Kids love the pop-ups!
Ann Latini
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful book on feelings for children, I think adults can also benefit from an occasional read!
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review originally published on my blog Nine Pages .

This monster’s friend helps him sort out his confused feelings. She lays out jars for the monster’s feelings, and helps him identify each feeling. Each is a different color: happiness is yellow, blue is sadness, red is anger, black is fear, and green is calm. And there’s one more: an unnamed, pink feeling that surrounds the monster with hearts. There is a flat version of this book, but because the pop-up was available to me, I read that. Oneblog
Jess Peck
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This pop up interactive book was a recommendation and I’m so glad I have read it. This is a fantastic visual way of starting off the sometimes difficult conversation linked to feelings and emotions for young children. Not only does this book encourage children to recognise how they feel individually, it is also a good starting point to find out more about the child from a teachers point of view, to see what makes them feel a particular emotion as they come across it in the book. From here as a c ...more

• The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Night Job
  • We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands
  • My Many Colored Days
  • The Way I Feel
Anna Llenas es licenciada en Publicidad y Relaciones Públicas por la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona y graduada en Diseño Gráfico por la Escuela Llotja. También tiene formación en Psicología Analítica y un postgrado en Arteterapia. Pasó los primeros años trabajando como diseñadora y directora de arte en las agencias Bassat Ogilvy & Mather y Publicis Casadevall & Pedreño. Pero un día, dec ...more